• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
I wish the anime will avoid it, but i've seen enough anime to know better
yeah it's kind of disappointing to know the anime will never try to be as tasteful or good with anatomy as Horikoshi is; it's one of my favorite things about the series

And yeah nice bed hair everyone, except Ochako who's like, a mess.
I was thinking of Ochako and Mirio when I wrote that lol, theirs is great

Deku and Amakiji's are pretty much the same as normal

cntr

Banned
latest twitter sketch
C_sPZQQU0AAoMj7.jpg:orig

Moaradin

Omg yessdddsssssssss

I checked the volume and I was wrong. It's the same scene from the volume release lol.

Though it still might be true. The next episode looks like it's gonna adapt only one chapter, which is odd. Every episode since the first one has been a pretty strict 2 chapters per episode. If any chapter could use some expanding on, it's that one.

cntr

Banned
So the conversation in the anime thread reminded me: if you think about it, Todoroki has a bad quirk for heroics.

He can't manipulate ice and fire, he emits ice and fire. He can't create fire and ice at a distance, he's limited to AoE attacks in an area in front of him. He can't use his quirk without freezing things solid or setting them on fire. He constantly risks setting off heat explosions or having his fire pulled by the wind, wind that his own quirk can create from the temperature differences. And he can't attack people without also burning or freezing them, because whatever he does, it's still literally fire and ice.

All that makes it a fantastic quirk for beating people up, but it's a terrible quirk for anything else. He can't use it without creating collateral damage, he can't subdue people without hurting them, and it's heavily affected by the wind, which his quirk can actively makes worse.

Endeavor presumably has the same limitations, and I'd bet his tendency to set things on fire and hurt people did his reputation no favors. And that's the exact thing Todoroki wants to avoid.

So the conversation in the anime thread reminded me: if you think about it, Todoroki has a bad quirk for heroics.

He can't manipulate ice and fire, he emits ice and fire. He can't create fire and ice at a distance, he's limited to AoE attacks in an area in front of him. He can't use his quirk without freezing things solid or setting them on fire. He constantly risks setting off heat explosions or having his fire pulled by the wind, wind that his own quirk can create from the temperature differences. And he can't attack people without also burning or freezing them, because whatever he does, it's still literally fire and ice.

All that makes it a fantastic quirk for beating people up, but it's a terrible quirk for anything else. He can't use it without creating collateral damage, he can't subdue people without hurting them, and it's heavily affected by the wind, which his quirk can actively makes worse.

Endeavor presumably has the same limitations, and I'd bet his tendency to set things on fire and hurt people did his reputation no favors. And that's the exact thing Todoroki wants to avoid.

But with ice his teammates can avoid being frozen, just remove their shoes and continue on or send fire and melt his ice. I dont think he's as incompatible as youre making him seem if he were on a team.

cntr

Banned
I'm not talking about hurting his teammates, I'm talking about rescue situations. His quirk inherently risks hurting civilians and damaging the area, and unless/until he figures something out, he's not capable of the level of control necessary to avoid it.

Kaminari is in a similar situation, but he fixed it by getting that redirecting drone. Todoroki has no equivalent.

I'm not talking about hurting his teammates, I'm talking about rescue situations. His quirk inherently risks hurting civilians and damaging the area, and unless/until he figures something out, he's not capable of the level of control necessary to avoid it.

I think that was mentioned in the License Test, where Todoroki's abilities were said to be more adept at suppression than rescue.

However, during the Stain arc, he made good use of his ability to get Deku and that random hero out of harm's way by using his ice to "grab hold" of them and then melting it to slide them towards him. It's not perfect, but it's something that he can do should the moment call for it.

cntr

Banned
I think that was mentioned in the License Test, where Todoroki's abilities were said to be more adept at suppression than rescue.

However, during the Stain arc, he made good use of his ability to get Deku and that random hero out of harm's way by using his ice to "grab hold" of them and then melting it to slide them towards him. It's not perfect, but it's something that he can do should the moment call for it.
Yeah, it's not impossible for him, but it's something he needs to work against now that he's using fire, he's new to using it and wouldn't know the risks and how it interacts with his ice just yet.

And it ties into his character arc of not becoming Endeavor and getting used to being a fire user.

cntr

Banned
He can absolutely control his quirk.
His ice half, yeah, but not his fire half. And even then it's still an area of effect; every time he uses his quirk, it forms a line of ice in front of him, and he can't avoid that.

He can get around both of those, but at the moment, it'll still be something he has to deal with.

cntr

Banned
responding here 'cause spoiler potential
Dude was just hopelessly outmatched. Basically the entire class is vs. Todoroki, barring Deku (someday) and maybe Bakugou (who's mobile enough to avoid the ice, or strong enough to bash through it). Yaoyorozu is too slow or she'd be another one.
I'd say once they're good at using their quirks, Deku, Bakugou, and Ochako could all defeat Todoroki. They're all capable of avoiding Todoroki's attacks, especially once Ochako gets used to using her quirk on herself, and they'd defeat him in melee. It'd be tough, but it's doable.

(For bonus points, Ochako wouldn't need to break through the ice walls like Deku and Bakugou, she just could pick them up and throw them.)

Though, if they had the right strategy, everybody could defeat Todoroki. He wins in a direct fight, but there's other ways to make him lose.

responding here 'cause spoiler potential
I'd say once they're good at using their quirks, Deku, Bakugou, and Ochako could all defeat Todoroki. They're all capable of avoiding Todoroki's attacks, especially once Ochako gets used to using her quirk on herself, and they'd defeat him in melee. It'd be tough, but it's doable.

(For bonus points, Ochako wouldn't need to break through the ice walls like Deku and Bakugou, she just could pick them up and throw them.)

Though, if they had the right strategy, everybody could defeat Todoroki. He wins in a direct fight, but there's other ways to make him lose.

Could she, though? It's not like they're sitting there flat-bottomed, they're probably all kinds of stuck.

Ochako has crazy potential but that still feels like a bad matchup unless we combine her eventually master self-levitation with like a high-speed jetpack. On that note, Iida might be able to pull it off. Someday.

And I'm just ignoring the "but what if they just shot Todoroki from a window" type scenarios because no duh if you can out-strategize your opponent you can beat them :p

cntr

Banned
Could she, though? It's not like they're sitting there flat-bottomed, they're probably all kinds of stuck.

Ochako has crazy potential but that still feels like a bad matchup unless we combine her eventually master self-levitation with like a high-speed jetpack. On that note, Iida might be able to pull it off. Someday.
Fair. But I still want Ochako to do it because it'd be hilarious.

Iida'd do good too, but I don't think he could instantly push Todoroki out of the arena like the other three.

And I'm just ignoring the "but what if they just shot Todoroki from a window" type scenarios because no duh if you can out-strategize your opponent you can beat them :p
This is a team battle strategy series, tho. Can't make sense out of match-ups without.

caliph95

Shilling for Edgecrow since his shadow easily beat moonfish who was giving Bakugo and Todoroki trouble though that required him to lose control of the shadow. Though it was because of the terrain and such that gave him the advantage

cntr

Banned
Tokoyami's going to be a top-tier hero because his quirk is great for combat and great for rescue, and, more importantly, the edgelord demographic is going to love him.

caliph95

Plus him having to control the shadow gives him lest it hurt those he loves is going to be a hit fangirls (and fanboys) because it makes him "tragic" because no one can understand his struggle.

His Quirk besides OFA which should be excluded because it's unfair is basically one of the top quirks too bad(or good otherwise he would be op) it has two big weakness

cntr

Banned
Deku, Ochako, Bakugou, Todoroki, and Tokoyami have the best and most versatile quirks in the entire class. And they're top tier for the setting as a whole.

This is a team battle strategy series, tho. Can't make sense out of match-ups without.

Yeah, but it's honestly just kinda pointless for this kind of discussion. You always end up at "if so-and-so hit Todoroki (or whoever) from behind when they didn't know they were coming, they'd win!" which, no shit, is true of literally every matchup in the history of time.

The example I used before (shot from a window) is sort of the classic escalation in those ridiculous endless muggles vs. wizards debates people used to have.

Shilling for Edgecrow since his shadow easily beat moonfish who was giving Bakugo and Todoroki trouble though that required him to lose control of the shadow. Though it was because of the terrain and such that gave him the advantage

The big limitation in that fight is that between the fire and the ice, the Shadow's sheer size at full power is probably more of a hindrance than a help vs. Todoroki. Especially since he can light the environment on fire to reduce the thing's potency.

Deku, Ochako, Bakugou, Todoroki, and Tokoyami have the best and most versatile quirks in the entire class. And they're top tier for the setting as a whole.

pfft, in terms of versatility, Yaoyorozu has them all beat handily.

caliph95

Yeah Bakugo beat Crow by creating a flahsbang (though i am not 100% sure how he did that) plus he still can't control the shadow. Knowing him though he be the kind of hero who works at night because it makes him feel at ease

cntr

Banned
Yeah, but it's honestly just kinda pointless for this kind of discussion. You always end up at "if so-and-so hit Todoroki (or whoever) from behind when they didn't know they were coming, they'd win!" which, no shit, is true of literally every matchup in the history of time.

The example I used before (shot from a window) is sort of the classic escalation in those ridiculous endless muggles vs. wizards debates people used to have.
Fair.

The big limitation in that fight is that between the fire and the ice, the Shadow's sheer size at full power is probably more of a hindrance than a help vs. Todoroki. Especially since he can light the environment on fire to reduce the thing's potency.
Wouldn't he able to restrain Dark Shadow's size once he controls the full power form, though? I guess we'll find out.

Yeah Bakugo beat Crow by creating a flahsbang (though i am not 100% sure how he did that) plus he still can't control the shadow. Knowing him though he be the kind of hero who works at night because it makes him feel at ease
Tokoyami's definitely going to be the Batman. Or Nightwing, maybe?

pfft, in terms of versatility, Yaoyorozu has them all beat handily.
Momo's top tier too but she's limited by how long it takes to make stuff. That's how Tokoyami defeated her, right? She (and everybody else, really) would be great in team battles and rescue, though!

Bakugou and Todoroki are less versatile since they're so combat-focused, but Deku, Ochako, and Tokoyami, they'd be top-tier at solo combat, team combat, and rescue alike.

caliph95

Momo's problem is speed she works great in teams and rescues and such. Alone though she would get in trouble in combat with a decent villain depending on their quirk if she isn't prepared enough because by the time like Tokoyami she can produce weapons in the heat of moment the enemy can just blat or hit hit her with their quirk
she's a prep time hero
Pretty much

Momo's top tier too but she's limited by how long it takes to make stuff. That's how Tokoyami defeated her, right? She (and everybody else, really) would be great in team battles and rescue, though!

Bakugou and Todoroki are less versatile since they're so combat-focused, but Deku, Ochako, and Tokoyami, they'd be top-tier at solo combat, team combat, and rescue alike.

Momo's problem is speed she works great in teams and rescues and such. Alone though she would get in trouble in combat with a decent villain depending on their quirk if she isn't prepared enough because by the time like Tokoyami she can produce weapons in the heat of moment the enemy can just blat or hit hit her with their quirk

Yeah, that's true. She's definitely a slow starter. If she could get something really potent out right at the start of a fight (or begin a fight with it... girl should talk to Mei) so that she can stall for time.

ed: I wonder, can she make a handgun? She can make a bike, and mechanically, a gun isn't really any more complex.

caliph95

If snipe can carry around a gun i don't see why not. Though that pretty much makes Momo op to everybody to everybody except Deku and the two hard bros (semi joking)

I do wish after watching the anime we see more of Class b soon

cntr

Banned
also as an aside, Todoroki and Iida would be a good hero team. Iida's fast enough to avoid getting caught up in Todoroki's attacks, and they could use Todoroki's ice to stop Iida's engines from overheating.

plus Iida's Todoroki's closest friend other than Deku (who'll probably be off teaming with Ochako), and their situations with their families would be pretty neat next to each other.

Yeah, that's true. She's definitely a slow starter. If she could get something really potent out right at the start of a fight (or begin a fight with it... girl should talk to Mei) so that she can stall for time.

ed: I wonder, can she make a handgun? She can make a bike, and mechanically, a gun isn't really any more complex.
She can, but I'm guessing heroes don't use guns because it's bad publicity. Snipe can get away with it by being a cowboy and being so precise. She'll have to start preparing complex stuff beforehand.

cntr

Banned
ice cage + heat wave inside it = people passing out pretty fast
We know from his fight with Deku that when he starts mixing heat and cold, it causes an explosion. And giving someone heatstroke isn't exactly "not hurting them".

He can learn to avoid that, but he's new to using fire and has no experience in how it interacts with his ice. It's something his quirk isn't suited for by default, that's my point.

God today's chapter was sooo great. I really love the role reversal here for Iida and Deku. Made for a really emotional moment with Deku cracking under the pressure. That panel where Deku says heroes don't cry was just to good, it ,made me all teary-eyed. Deku is just too good....and damn those last page with the heroes gearing up...shits about to go down.
E4I2WHq.png

We know from his fight with Deku that when he starts mixing heat and cold, it causes an explosion. And giving someone heatstroke isn't exactly "not hurting them".

He can learn to avoid that, but he's new to using fire and has no experience in how it interacts with his ice. It's something his quirk isn't suited for by default, that's my point.

We know he can control the temperature of the flames and ice, seeing as how he uses it to regulate his own internal temperature after using the opposite element. He isn't going to be using the max level when he's around civilians, which is what caused the explosion when he fought Deku.

He can easily subdue using his ice. He's been shown to use that without causing frostbite. He can have where he uses his ice to subdue and use his heat to keep them warm at the same time as not to damage anything.

cntr

Banned
We know he can control the temperature of the flames and ice, seeing as how he uses it to regulate his own internal temperature after using the opposite element. He isn't going to be using the max level when he's around civilians, which is what caused the explosion when he fought Deku.

He can easily subdue using his ice. He's been shown to use that without causing frostbite. He can have where he uses his ice to subdue and use his heat to keep them warm at the same time as not to damage anything.[
He can make fire and ice, but I don't he can make hotter fire or colder ice. As far as I can tell, he controls the quantity and time, not the literal temperature. So he just warms himself up and cools himself down.

But yeah he can regulate things to avoid that, but he's not used to doing that. He's only seriously been using fire for a few months, he's not familiar with how it works, much less how it interacts with his ice.

Edit: I'm pointing it out because it ties into his character arc. Todoroki's issue is that he's kind of an unintentional asshole after Endeavor, and he's already made these kinds of mistakes. Remember when he let Inasa blow his fire towards civilians?

He can avoid all the risks and issues with his quirk, but he doesn't understand how dangerous it really is, not yet.

C_4MtMiXUAARTO9.jpg:small

Oh Todoroki finally having a chance to have a discussion with Midoriya again, if Iida hadnt been there it would have been a really awesome segment.

Feels like everyone was led on a multiday spanning trap.

I would think an All Might death plot would involved Midoriya being in some awful situation and All Might having to save his protege, or even have a multi scale type of fight All might having to make a choice between Midoriya and another student.

WarRock

He doesn't need to cause a heatstroke though, he can just burn oxygen. But yeah, it's not a surefire or harmless thing to do, but neither is punching people with hardened skin or with engine propulsion (or even without it), to be fair. Also, it still is more practical/harmless than throwing acid at people or exploding them =P

cntr

Banned
He doesn't need to cause a heatstroke though, he can just burn oxygen. But yeah, it's not a surefire or harmless thing to do, but neither is punching people with hardened skin or with engine propulsion (or even without it), to be fair. Also, it still is more practical/harmless than throwing acid at people or exploding them =P
Mina and Bakugou have pretty risky quirks too!

Top Bottom