• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

WarRock

Truth is that there is no safe or harmless way to physically stop someone, besides using some grappling to pin them and then restrain them with handcuffs or something.

Superpowers like Spiderman's web or telepathy are a cute way of doing it, but it's hard to make a whole cast of superpowered people like that. If you think about it, the only two students with "sure" ways of restraining someone are the tape guy and Momo (if she has time and information). Kaminari could make someone pass out somewhat safely if he had fine control over his electricity, but...

caliph95

I mean due to anime physics and biology Todoroki can just freeze criminals without in real life worried about them freezing to death

cntr

Banned
I'm not saying Todoroki can't fight or rescue people without hurting them, anyway. I'm just saying that it's not something he's good at by default.

Especially with his fire powers.

happy mother's day
https://twitter.com/zm_MHA/status/863434723615416320
C_uJQwoVoAAQG7O.jpg

I mean due to anime physics and biology Todoroki can just freeze criminals without in real life worried about them freezing to death
Basically this. Comics people are Made of Iron in general, even if they're not actually superpowered. Forget freezing to death, anybody getting caught in suddenly expanding ice is gonna get crushed to death. That hasn't happened with anyone Todoroki froze in the past, so clearly it's not something to worry about.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Quickly dumping in a theory since I called Overhauls big plan but don't think I ever mentioned it technically for proof (ten bucks says
he uses his power to either put the bullets together(where he can combine stuff as well as deconstruct, or put his daughter back together so she can't die
. I think Toga is going to be a big part of this coming part because 1. Ochako and Froppy are here (who she fought last time) 2 there is a big theme of blood in this chapter(their using the kid's blood to make the bullets) and Toga happens to use blood 3. Disguising herself as Deku will probably be an excellent way of
Mirio, the guy who is closest to being number one hero. I don't see how anyone could beat him without some trickery going on

Truth is that there is no safe or harmless way to physically stop someone, besides using some grappling to pin them and then restrain them with handcuffs or something.

Pretty much this. The issue with putting real world limitations to character's super powers is that you can't really do much without severely hurting them. Unless its a dark hyperrealistic depiction of a world with those powers, in which case the appeal is watching how much damage these powers can actually do. If this was a bit more realistic, Shoto could hyper heat and then freeze the air and start causing explosions all over the place (maybe he'll get there at the end and that will be his ultimate form?).

It's a small thing that's always bugged me, but every person who's ever been knocked out with a punch in media ever should either have a severe concussion or be dead.

Ascheroth

If we're talking about powers, Minetas could actually be super cruel in the hands of a villain if you think about it.
Like shoving a ball down someones throat and there's no way for them to get it out no matter how much they flail around, while slowly suffocating.

Stuff like that~

cntr

Banned
Generally by fiction rules giving people burns or heatstroke is worse than punching them, even if that's not really realistic. But that wasn't the point I was trying to make, anyway.

Assuming Toga's form change is limited by how much blood she has, I'm pretty sure they're planning to save that up for when they try to break All for One out of prison, probably by turning into Deku and grabbing All Might.

Mineta has a pretty good quirk if you're trying to restrain someone instead of defeating them.

If we're talking about powers, Minetas could actually be super cruel in the hands of a villain if you think about it.
Like shoving a ball down someones throat and there's no way for them to get it out no matter how much they flail around, while slowly suffocating.

Stuff like that~

We've never been told if Mineta's grapes can be removed safely. Imagine someone trying to take them off and they rip their skin doing so.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Assuming Toga's form change is limited by how much blood she has, I'm pretty sure they're planning to save that up for when they try to break All for One out of prison, probably by turning into Deku and grabbing All Might.

Speaking of that eventual plot point, I bet thats the nature of Handjobs deal with overhaul(either that, or to use him as a connection to contact some foreign groups for this purpose).

Im basically nothing but crackpot theories today

Stuff like that~

Gis villian name would be The Grapes of Wrath

Generally by fiction rules giving people burns or heatstroke is worse than punching them, even if that's not really realistic. But that wasn't the point I was trying to make, anyway.

Mineta has a pretty good quirk if you're trying to restrain someone instead of defeating them.

what point are you trying to make?

cntr

Banned
what point are you trying to make?
Todoroki's quirk is designed to beat people up, but not really for anything else. That's fine for Endeavor, but that's not fine for the kind of hero Todoroki wants to become. And so he needs to put in effort to learn how to use his quirk safely, especially the fire.

It fits his character arc, doesn't it? And gives him a thing he needs to work for, instead of blithely saying that he's great at everything.

cntr

Banned
Overhaul's gonna blow up Toga's arm and render her unable to transform convincingly until they get it fixed

that's my crackpot theory of the day

caliph95

Asshole Black guy and mirio is going to die
after redeeming himself when it turns out he was a double agent for the villains
Also hints to electric guy being traitor when it turns the guy buying toys is related to kaminari.

cntr

Banned
The traitor turns out to be...you, the reader! You're leaking all the information to a villain who can read your mind!

I bet Alan Moore's done this.

caliph95

Someone on this thread is going to love this
Kirishima confess his love to bakugo and they passionately kiss
Momo to todoroki or vice versa since that is funnier and more heartwarming
Deku is in a poly relationship with toga, ochaka and mei to please everybody
Mina to froppy
All might to Aizawa and night eye being jealous
The traitor turns out to be...you, the reader! You're leaking all the information to a villain who can read your mind!

I bet Alan Moore's done this.
That's a funny way to spell Grant Morrison

New Illegals today as well. Character writing game got stepped up! Particularly Pop-Step.

You say that as if they aren't secretly the same person.

cntr pls. Grant Morrison has no hair. Alan Moore has all the hair.

Besides, involving the reader like that is straight up Morrison's alley. Hell, he actually did that in the Ultra Comics issue of Multiversity.

cntr

Banned
I actually meant to type Grant Morrison but I typed Alan Moore instead because I'm a dummkopf.

anyway to get back on topic

Thinking about it, Jirou could totally beat Todoroki up and win. Her sonic gloves can break ice apart and suppress fire through sheer air pressure.

Bowl0l

Stuff like that~
All Might can do that too. No one alive could pull out All Might's hand from their mouth when All Might is in his muscle form /s

caliph95

Yeah Grant is the meta guy he does stuff like that all the time.

What's Jiro's weakness Mina has to be careful not kill or severely injure people so she has to be more creative or careful with her powers though she is the most athletic of the female Students. I guess it's that she has to stop and aim and Todoroki is supposed to be agile

cntr

Banned
Deku was able to use air blasts to destroy Todoroki's ice, so can't see why Jirou couldn't do the same. If she can shatter the ground, she can shatter ice.

Jirou's weakness is that she's very short range without the gloves, I guess?

Illegals was pretty good this week. The past tie between Kazuho and Koichi was actually pretty cute. I guess it's now 100% clear that she's got a crush on him.

caliph95

Unconfirmed spoilers
There are different groups with different objectives
Mirio and Gran Torino are one team to take out Overhaul
Suneater and Kirishima are the shield of the heroes
Aizawa and the girls are back-up support
Deku, Sir and Fat Gum will save Eri
Chrono is seeing their attack through monitors
Mirio stormed into Overhaul's room
Mimic is facing Sir and Fat Gum
Sir tells Deku to go past them and save Eri, because he saw how Deku would save her
Overhaul tries to touch Mirio, but can't because of Mirio's quirk
Mirio blows Overhaul away
Chrono joins Mimic and confronts Sir
Chrono: Sir Nighteye, is this the result of your quirk? But don't worry, tomorrow it will be different!
Chrono points a gun to his own head and pulls the trigger
Everything goes dark
Underling: The heroes are here! Just like Chrono said!
Overhaul: So you have come...
Chronostasis Quirk: [When he dies he rewinds time back to the last day]
Overhaul: I know their goal. It's a honorable one to save a little girl, but it doesn't matter. None of them will leave here alive...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The
time rewind
thing is the part that makes it seem fake.

Doing that is kind of like poison to readers when
they think we actually got into shit.

caliph95

It was from a good source so i copied without reading though i noted being unconfirmed.
Makes more sense if it was the same kinda stand as Nighteye

cntr

Banned
Given that
Re:Zero and Jojo
were airing pretty recently, it definitely sounds like the kind of thing someone'd make up.

caliph95

Code:
[IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/f27b61123b7cfc09047a99424e096854/tumblr_o7kbuzbHyi1u5iy9fo2_1280.png[/IMG][IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/c2ab91a06e53085e294d9c65e9215d57/tumblr_o7kbuzbHyi1u5iy9fo1_1280.png[/IMG][IMG]https://68.media.tumblr.com/c8efa2b23b58f4cf1128063be72fbe4d/tumblr_o7kbuzbHyi1u5iy9fo3_1280.png[/IMG]

caliph95

honest to go it's real now there are pics
Dragon lady can turn into a dragon, i don't what i expected and is fighting the big guy from the villain mafia
So good for people who thought there was too much talking
Seems the cops are assisting the heroes
Overhaul is talking to a guy that seems to be on life support and maybe taking care of him
we see more of the villain yakuza

Top Bottom