• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
Yeah, it starts this month. We should get a translation in a week or two, if someone picks it up.

The spinoff is written by one of Horikoshi's former assistants, so I assume it'll be consistent/canon with the main comic.

Permanently A

One of my friends asked me a good question about MHA that I couldn't really answer.

What does MHA as a battle shounen do to differentiate itself from other standard battle shounens?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's fast paced and has a lot of content per the same page count of other manga.

The MC is actually pretty smart and resourceful

It's not a guarantee he will always win a fight.

The author does a great job giving attention to side characters

Lunar15

I also feel that most characters make decisions that completely make sense within their own mindset. I've never really felt too annoyed by any one character's decisions. Even their bad decisions are grounded in something that seems rational to me.

That's a huge problem with a lot of manga, in my opinion. There's just too many times when the characters are making dumb choices that make no sense and just feel contrived to set up an event.

It also feels hyper aware. Hard to put into words, but it just feels super modern. Like, aware of western tastes while also adhering to the good shounen tropes.

SalvaPot

One of my friends asked me a good question about MHA that I couldn't really answer.

What does MHA as a battle shounen do to differentiate itself from other standard battle shounens?

The protagonist is neither the happy-go-lucky all powerful idiot nor the cool, broody suffering type.

Also the cast of characters is colorful, vibrant and fun and all of them has a chance to shine.

And its very fast paced, it goes from point to point without dragging out with dumb filler.

cntr

Banned

There's so many things that make the series great. Like, look at Deku and One for All as an example.

When Deku turns his arms into mush, it's graphic. You feel it. You know he'll never go that he'd die, but what about losing an arm? When a series goes "this move shortens my lifespan", it doesn't matter, the main character isn't going to die...but a main character losing an arm? That can happen, and it's a real and scary consequence.

Then there's how Deku improves using One for All. Deku doesn't get better by training a lot, he gets better by changing the way he thinks. One-finger smashes, full cowl, shoot style...they happen because Deku grows as a person, not just as a fighter.

By being the user of One for All, Deku inherits the battle against All for One/Shigaraki. But he's not destined by birth, he's inherits it because All Might chose him. No important ancestors, no secret genetic powers, no dead villages, no nothing -- Deku will defeat One for All because of hard work and guts, not by being descended from fancy idiots.

What makes MHA different is plain good writing. That's why I have so much confidence in Horikoshi and his series.

It doesnt really differentiate itself. It simply came when superheroes were the big thing in multimedia. The writing is very predictable, the art isnt really refreshing, and characters are often kicked to the backburner.

Its not unique either see all the posts where people say it evokes "x" series feelings.

Bakucrew is what makes this series stand for me as well as the bakugou midoriya friendship thing.

It doesnt really differentiate itself. It simply came when superheroes were the big thing in multimedia. The writing is very predictable, the art isnt really refreshing, and characters are often kicked to the backburner.

Its not unique either see all the posts where people say it evokes "x" series feelings.

Bakucrew is what makes this series stand for me as well as the bakugou midoriya friendship thing.

I really disagree. Compared to other shonen and considering the relatively "short" run this has had, Horikoshi has tried to give something to most of the secondary characters, and not just fights but actual character development. Iida, Ochako, Bakugou, Tsuyu, even kirishima, kyouka, etc. They are less cardboard than half the naruto cast when that show had this amount of chapters released, for example.

Nightbird

I really disagree. Compared to other shonen and considering the relatively "short" run this has had, Horikoshi has tried to give something to most of the secondary characters, and not just fights but actual character development. Iida, Ochako, Bakugou, Tsuyu, even kirishima, kyouka, etc. They are less cardboard than half the naruto cast when that show had this amount of chapters released, for example.

Bro, look at who you are replying to

Blackhead

Redarse
What's the point of waifu stuff if everyone agrees that All Might is best everything
All Might's ultimate technique to settle the waifu wars:
OHp8U2Zl.jpg
I really disagree. Compared to other shonen and considering the relatively "short" run this has had, Horikoshi has tried to give something to most of the secondary characters, and not just fights but actual character development. Iida, Ochako, Bakugou, Tsuyu, even kirishima, kyouka, etc. They are less cardboard than half the naruto cast when that show manga had this amount of chapters released, for example.

Eh no. MHA has about 100 chapters now. At this point Naruto manga had done the preliminary chuunin exam and had given development to most of the secondary cast. Lee, Hinata, Neji, Ino, Gaara, already had big moments. We were introduced to Orochimaru and Jiraya.

MHA's quirk is 'superheroes' while other battle shounens are 'ninjas', 'Pirates', 'Angels', 'hunters', etc ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MHA is still a battle manga — it's just a potentially really good one with a well idealized world, diverse protagonists, interesting mechanics. It's too early to start delineating minute differences and there's still plenty of time for the mangaka to fuck it all up...

Pappasman

and characters are often kicked to the backburner.
This is the biggest probelm for me. I really like MHA, but its development of characters other than Deku and All Might is seriously lacking.

We got some nice development with Iida in the Stain arc, but it wasn't enough for me. I'd like the other characters to get similar arcs that focus more on them rather than Deku. I also wish Hori would play up the Harry Potter-esque friendship dynamic between Deku, Ochako and Iida. Stuff like the room tours was fun but it felt very shallow, like most character interactions in this series. I want to care more about these characters and their interactions so far have been lacking. I really liked the tournament arc because Ochako actually got some good development that wasn't related to Deku.

But I do really like how the world has been expanding with the intro of other students from other schools. I love that the prestige and popularity of UA makes them known by everyone else. That's the kind of world building I want to see more of. Make this world feel real, expand it, because for so long it felt like the everything revolved around 1-A. One of the weakest points of the series so far is the lack of other students. They never really felt like they were in a school.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No thanks. We see what happens when manga overload on side characters (Naruto, One Piece, Bleach). I'm actually afraid MHA will go down this road as well and never move its plot anywhere.

SalvaPot

This is the biggest probelm for me. I really like MHA, but it's development of charcters other than Deku and All Might is seriously lacking.

We got some nice development with Iida in the Stain arc, but it wasn't enough for me. I'd like the other characters to get similar arcs that focus more on them rather than Deku. I also wish Hori would play up the Harry Potter-esque friendship dynamic between Deku, Ochako and Iida. Stuff like the room tours was fun but it felt very shallow, like most character interactions in this series. I want to care more about these characters and their interactions so far have been lacking. I really liked the tournament arc because Ochako actually got some good development that wasn't related to Deku.

But I do really like how the world has been expanding with the intro of other students from other schools. I love that the prestige and popularity of UA makes them known by everyone else. That's the kind of world building I want to see more of. Make this world feel real, expand it, because for so long it felt like the everything revolved around 1-A. One of the weakest points of the series so far is the lack of other students. They never really felt like they were in a school.

I think the development of characters other than Deku, Bakugou, All Might and Shigaraki (Our main four, I'll say) is well handled because its only there when it makes sense in the story. We got to know more about Todoroki when he was ready to open up with Deku, same with Ochako and Iida.

Mostly the characters are doing its own thing and really only get deeper when we get the chance for Deku to interact with them in a more meaningful way. But they also don't feel like husks or just personality doppelganger just there to provide waifus.

I really liked when we got introduced to Jirou's parents for example, it was maybe 2 pages but it really showed her background and why she acts like does. You can tell she takes after her mother and its kind of embarrassed of his father loudness, so she is quite reserved herself. And this never is outright stated by the manga, its just the small details.

I think the development of characters other than Deku, Bakugou, All Might and Shigaraki (Our main four, I'll say) is well handled because its only there when it makes sense in the story. We got to know more about Todoroki when he was ready to open up with Deku, same with Ochako and Iida.

Mostly the characters are doing its own thing and really only get deeper when we get the chance for Deku to interact with them in a more meaningful way. But they also don't feel like husks or just personality doppelganger just there to provide waifus.

I really liked when we got introduced to Jirou's parents for example, it was maybe 2 pages but it really showed her background and why she acts like does. You can tell she takes after her mother and its kind of embarrassed of his father loudness, so she is quite reserved herself. And this never is outright stated by the manga, its just the small details.

There are still a few characters that we don't know much about but still, the manga is young and there's a lot more to come i think.

Talking about Jirou, i loved when she was paired with kouji against present mic. It was a really small piece of interaction, but i really like how she made him realize that he couldn't be afraid anymore, and that was the starting point for the crush he developed for her, that we've seen in a few panels then. Just details, but so enjoyable, because the cast itself seems genuine and lovable.

SalvaPot

There are still a few characters that we don't know much about but still, the manga is young and there's a lot more to come i think.

Talking about Jirou, i loved when she was paired with kouji against present mic. It was a really small piece of interaction, but i really like how she made him realize that he couldn't be afraid anymore, and that was the starting point for the crush he developed for her, that we've seen in a few panels then. Just details, but so enjoyable, because the cast itself seems genuine and lovable.

And its such a background thing, sine the crush is so blink-and-miss it thing. I actually caught on to it on a second read, I missed it the first time around.

cntr

Banned
Most of the MHA characterization is like that, subtle, not said out loud, like:

Todoroki's calm face when he's lighting the fire at the forest camp.

Momo's depression before the end-of-term test.

Ochako consistently blushing when she's around Deku, or if someone mentions Deku.

It's great.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think MHA balances out its pretty big cast of characters very well. Everyone gets to shine at some point.

Yeah, except for Class 1b.

And now there's the people from the other schools.

And beyond that, who knows?

Since Kirishima didnt seem to be in the UA Crush panel I assume he ran off with Bakugou, Protect him.

I didnt see Kaminari either so hopefully hes safe. I hope he wont be embarrassingly made into his idiot mode again :( or worst fail to pass yet again.

New characters of the previous chapter were better.

Chase17

So I won't look around here too much to make sure I avoid spoilers, but I was wondering if anyone could let me know how many volumes the anime covers. Really enjoyed it, and am thinking about starting to read the manga. I think there are only 6 volumes released in english so far though, so if it covers all of that I might hold off.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Since Kirishima didnt seem to be in the UA Crush panel I assume he ran off with Bakugou, Protect him.

I didnt see Kaminari either so hopefully hes safe. I hope he wont be embarrassingly made into his idiot mode again :( or worst fail to pass yet again.

New characters of the previous chapter were better.

Yeah I thought it was obvious that Kirishima went with Bakugou.

I still lol'd at your protect him line.

So I won't look around here too much to make sure I avoid spoilers, but I was wondering if anyone could let me know how many volumes the anime covers. Really enjoyed it, and am thinking about starting to read the manga. I think there are only 6 volumes released in english so far though, so if it covers all of that I might hold off.
It covers the first 2 and half of the third. They are also 5 volume released in english with the 6th coming out in november.

SalvaPot

You should start at Volume 3. I do recommend picking up the first two volumes because they have improved art and great extra info, like character profiles.

Top Bottom