• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: NA starcraft II tournamanet

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
watervengeance said:
Maybe I should try casting a game...hmm...

How much work goes into making one video?
talktalktalk, encode to something not uncompressed avi, upload.
easy peasy.

GGs BigAT, thanks for coming out and taking part. :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
the tournament officially began today at 00:01am [approx: 7hr:57min ago], everyone please have your first round games in by monday at 11:59PM EST.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
So, tonsillitis has struck me this week and I havent had the mental health to play any games let alone SC2, so I am going to makes someones weekend and give up my spot to whoever is first in line on the backup list, although I'm not sure who that would be...?

enjoy being a practice match for Alumnus :lol

Datwheezy said:
So, tonsillitis has struck me this week and I havent had the mental health to play any games let alone SC2, so I am going to makes someones weekend and give up my spot to whoever is first in line on the backup list, although I'm not sure who that would be...?

COWARD! LOSE WITH HONOR! :lol :p

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
DreadTheUnDead said:
COWARD! LOSE WITH HONOR! :lol :p
:lol :lol

Sort of on topic, but Wednesday night because of the tonsillitis I had a 102 degree fever and flu symptoms. When I was trying to go to sleep I was vaguely delusional, and kept having these erratic dreams were I was an SCV, and had to run around and build all buildings in my base with a perfect build order, and every time I messed up I would dart awake, which was literally every 10-15 mins all night long. Needless to say it was the worst night of my life and I almost swore off SC forever :lol

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Datwheezy said:

thanks for letting us know. hope you get better and can take part in the next NA tourney. :)
i'd also 'fall down the stairs' if i had to face alumnus first.

edit: joel has accepted the avilable slot and will be taking your place.
the new matchup is alumnus.249 vs Joelseph.473

Meeru

Banned
Slavik81 said:
I'm in if there's room. Slavik.414

What is 'the gg rule'?
First person to say gg loses. So say gg if you wish to resign and not just leave the game.

Ok..anyone wanna bet for winner between alumnus and wedge? :lol

Meeru

Banned
Trasher said:
So how does choosing the maps work for this exactly?
First three maps will alaways be steppes, blistering, and lost. Player may opt out any of them one time, so if they do, the next map will be chosen. After lost temple, mm..im guessing they can pick what map they want? o_O

Vaporak

valenti said:
First three maps will alaways be steppes, blistering, and lost. Player may opt out any of them one time, so if they do, the next map will be chosen. After lost temple, mm..im guessing they can pick what map they want? o_O

I thought it was loser picks each time, but the first match is always on Steppes, or blistering/lost depending on what maps are voted down.

Yaweee

Vaporak said:
I thought it was loser picks each time, but the first match is always on Steppes, or blistering/lost depending on what maps are voted down.

Yup, pretty sure that's the way it normally goes.

Yaweee

I beat Trasher 3-1. Is this the only Round 1 match with two Diamond Players? I went Random, he was Protoss for every game.

Great games. Some of them were really damn scary.

Game 3:
I should have switched to something other than zerglings sooner (mass hydras or roaches would have been awesome), and harassed his main mineral line with the mutalisks rather than going for his expansion. Either would have won me the game, I think.

General advice:
Don't try to cannon all the time. It just doesn't work all that often against good players.

Meeru

Banned
Wow. Color me surprised. because I expected trasher..to...well, its because I know him from heroes of newerth

Trasher

Yaweee said:
General advice:
Don't try to cannon all the time. It just doesn't work all that often against good players.
You would be surprised actually how many platinum/diamond games I've pulled that off in haha. But yeah, I generally don't do it all that often. I was just hoping to catch you in that one game so you couldn't fast expand. I always get nervous in tournament games like this and do stupid stuff like that. :lol I'm still not very comfortable with my build orders and transitioning for counters. Good games though. Wish I coulda made it to the fifth game at least. Felt like I didn't give you a good enough challenge in the first couple matches. Started playing a little better in the last two. My first game was just plain awful. I'll practice up more next time. :)

Yaweee said:
Game 3:
I should have switched to something other than zerglings sooner (mass hydras or roaches would have been awesome), and harassed his main mineral line with the mutalisks rather than going for his expansion. Either would have won me the game, I think.
I had my stalkers camped at my mineral line waiting for that. But you probably could have flung your mutas at my main's mineral line and then rushed your lings at my expansion at the same time. And yeah, roaches would have probably worked better there than the lings.

Are we really the only Diamond vs Diamond match-up in the first round?

@Valenti: I was the underdog! Yaweee is good dude!

Yaweee said:
Game 3:

]

I dunoooo ehm, spoilered I guess in case anyone doesn't want to know how the game played out
@ yaweee
Seeing as how trasher only really had the stalkers zerglings (with mutas) was faaar and beyond the best unit composition to have at most points. Unfortunately the terrain was somewhat to your disadvantage in most of the fights you two engaged in with narrowness being slight downfalls.

@trasher
maaan you should really try and learn to take advantage of blink since stalkers seem to be your unit of choice xD. But really, even mediocre blink micro would have saved you tons of stalkers in game 3
edit*
just watched game 4, again with blink, just think if you'd had it during your waltz into trasher's main you could have simply blinked down the cliff and off to fight a battle more towards your terms after dealing a decent amount of damage to his infrastructure. :D

mcrae

valenti said:

actually we did it wrong, first map is always steppes, blistering, OR lost. first map is always steppes, unless a player vetos it. then it defaults to blistering, unless the other player vetos it. then it defaults to lost.

if first map is steppes, then the loser picks xel naga for 2nd map, the other player can veto it and the loser has to choose a different map.

thats how it was explained early i do so beliiiiiiieve. the only thing that isnt clear is whether you have to veto your maps before you start playing, or whether you can do it once your opponent proposes a map...

Trasher

Orangepeel said:
I dunoooo ehm, spoilered I guess in case anyone doesn't want to know how the game played out
@ yaweee
Seeing as how trasher only really had the stalkers zerglings (with mutas) was faaar and beyond the best unit composition to have at most points. Unfortunately the terrain was somewhat to your disadvantage in most of the fights you two engaged in with narrowness being slight downfalls.

@trasher
maaan you should really try and learn to take advantage of blink since stalkers seem to be your unit of choice xD. But really, even mediocre blink micro would have saved you tons of stalkers in game 3
That may have delayed me too much at that point and given him the chance to get his expo fully saturated. I pushed because I had the economic advantage to go and overwhelm right then. But I do generally get blink. Just hadn't planned on using stalkers so heavily. The problem was I hadn't properly scouted him and didn't know what to expect exactly, so I didn't really have much of a plan haha.

Just finally realizing how awesome well micro'd hellions are (especially w/ the upgrade) during early game rush vs a zergling/zealot army...could of used this tactic vs orangepeel....early hellion rush to take out your lings... (before you started pumping out roaches i believe) and drones...sigh live and learn lol

Chainfire99 said:
Just finally realizing how awesome well micro'd hellions are (especially w/ the upgrade) during early game rush vs a zergling/zealot army...could of used this tactic vs orangepeel....early hellion rush to take out your lings... (before you started pumping out roaches i believe) and drones...sigh live and learn lol
the reason I didn't finish the banelin bust i was planning was you had that one or two helions just behind your depot, yah they can be pretty vicious to paltry light armor'd lings.

Chainfire99 said:

Helions are great vs. lings, but against zealots, MM with with stimpack and concussive is amazing if micro'd.

I'm but a lowly bronze player, but the first time I pulled that off correctly I was giddy with excitement. A short replay (that I already posted in the OT) of it:

Orangepeel said:
the reason I didn't finish the banelin bust i was planning was you had that one or two helions just behind your depot, yah they can be pretty vicious to paltry light armor'd lings.

I have been doing MM drops as my only early harass option...sometimes fast cloaked banshees...but hellion rush attack vs zerg and toss is usually the best option. Been practicing micro'ing them and I'm starting to rack up wins vs zerg at a much better clip. I apologize for the bm and the forfeiture..i would of lost the 2nd game badly no doubt. I am not ready for tourny play...well against good players.

DreadTheUnDead said:
Helions are great vs. lings, but against zealots, MM with with stimpack and concussive is amazing if micro'd.

I'm but a lowly bronze player, but the first time I pulled that off correctly I was giddy with excitement. A short replay (that I already posted in the OT) of it:

Yes, stimmed and concussive MM is good vs zealots...(and stalkers)...that's the bulk of my army usually. But i am talking about using hellions at the start as a quick econ attack on the toss mineral line. I want to be far ahead in the macro department.

Me vs iamblades/expiration

I won 3-0.

I didn't play particularly well in any of these. Lots of small mistakes, late factory in game 1, some indecision in game 2, me just fucking up all over the place in game 3, poor macro throughout, etc. Still, a win is a win, and in my defense I was stoned lol

Procarbine said:
Ugh, the sc2 OT is flooded with people arguing about things they don't know about -_-

Which is why this is now the official OT.

But no really, first time I hear this ChronicleX guy making such a big deal out of something. Again, just a lowly bronze player here... but it seems to me that well micro'd roaches could easily handle some zealots. Chargelots with a sentry though I'm not so sure.

Watervengeance/water won our series 3-0 quickly and easily, watching the replays if they get posted: highly unrecommended. :lol
Edit: See above.

mcrae

DreadTheUnDead said:
Which is why this is now the official OT.

But no really, first time I hear this ChronicleX guy making such a big deal out of something. Again, just a lowly bronze player here... but it seems to me that well micro'd roaches could easily handle some zealots. Chargelots with a sentry though I'm not so sure.

he butchered the beta thread with lots of useless shit

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Zen said:
TheDrizzlerJ11 and I will be facing off today in about 4 and a half hours.
great!
i just obs zeal vs shagg and i know terp had to delay until tommorow, so that just leaves two matches unaccounted for. ^^

Panda, you're gonna have to clear up something about the map picks here. It's a bit fuzzy in the OP. You didn't state how the next map would be chosen, is it loser's pick? It seems my partner and a few other players in this tournament figured it was a set map sequence (Steppes - Blistering - Temple) because of this statement in the OP:
Pandaman said:
each game will begin on steppes of war. in the event a player bans steppes, the round will begin on blistering sands, in the event both steppes and blistering sands are banned, the matches will begin on lost temple.
However I noticed you didn't play it out that way (unless those were vetoed?).

Some clarification would really help out here.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
FromTheFuture said:
Panda, you're gonna have to clear up something about the map picks here. It's a bit fuzzy in the OP. You didn't state how the next map would be chosen, is it loser's pick? It seems my partner and a few other players in this tournament figured it was a set map sequence (Steppes - Blistering - Temple) because of this statement in the OP:

However I noticed you didn't play it out that way (unless those were vetoed?).

Some clarification would really help out here.
Pandaman said:
first map is steppes.
loser picks.
both players have the option of banning one map.
if steppes is banned, the first map is blistering sands.
if steppes and blistering is banned, the first map is lost temple.
i didnt realize i had deleted the loser picks section of the op. o.o

Top Bottom