• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Manga Thread (OT) - The End is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoddGutts

Yeah, the last chapter sucked, almost felt it was fanfiction levels of writing yikes. Glad Oda decided to skip on doing romance/shipping in OP.

Nothing at all was wrapped up, and that's my issue.

Yamato? Oh you know, gone for 3/4 of the War. Released. Bye.

Orochimaru, our most nefarious villain from part one turned (somewhat) good? Poof. Bye. No reasons there.

Someone doesn't believe in tying up loose ends, and this ending ended up tripping all over itself.

Naruto refuses to abandon hope for Sasuke and orients his whole life around trying to redeem him and becomes best friends again instantly. Sakura does the same thing but she has a romantic interest on top of that. If they're wrong for forgiving Sasuke (which there is an argument for), it seems to me that they're equally culpable as Sasuke has tried to kill them both several times (and Sakura at least attempted to kill Sasuke unlike Naruto).

It is Naruto though, so at a certain point it's just part of the deal that Talk No Jutsu instantly redeems bad guys like Obito or Nagato with no nuance. I wholeheartedly agree that I would have preferred for Sakura to pump the brakes and say something like "maybe we can start over when you get back [from exile]". I think that could have gone a long way towards alleviating concerns and making the reconciliation feel more earned.

Talk about abusive relationships is just bad hyperbole. We're in a ninja manga where characters violently fight each other to the death because the plot, not relationships, demands it. Domestic abuse is about power and control, that's not what was going on here. Sasuke's not abusing Sakura to keep her in line or maintain power over her, he tried to kill her and Naruto because he wanted to obliterate the Leaf or whatever his motivation of the day was.

Who is LadyGT and why does the feel the need to draw an alternate ending? Actually, what's the point in drawing an alternate ending if it won't be canon? What do you gain from doing that besides some heavy denial?

Well her work is good enough to be enjoyable even if it is fan fiction.

PL6YJh2.jpg

I mean she doesnt insult orphans, unlike sakura...
Its sad knowing youll never find a girl whos as great as Hinata...

Whats her character archetype? I seem to always like similar characters in all other series'.

Fj0823

One thing someone pointed out to me

When Naruto arrives Bolt had just finished up putting Graffiti on Kakashis face. No son of Naruto would draw on Narutos face first and then run all the way to the firsts face and gone from there, its inefficient. If he painted narutos face first then he wouldve worked backwards. He wouldnt have gone to tsunade, gone to naruto, then back to kakashi.
Naruto tells Bolt "im GOING to be late" but still arrives late to the meeting
Naruto helps Bolt graffiti his own face.

I thought it was obvious...hopefully the animé gives more hints at this

One thing someone pointed out to me

When Naruto arrives Bolt had just finished up putting Graffiti on Kakashis face. No son of Naruto would draw on Narutos face first and then run all the way to the firsts face and gone from there, its inefficient. If he painted narutos face first then he wouldve worked backwards. He wouldnt have gone to tsunade, gone to naruto, then back to kakashi.
Naruto tells Bolt "im GOING to be late" but still arrives late to the meeting
Naruto helps Bolt graffiti his own face.

Ha, that's a nice touch. Certainly elevates the chapter in my eyes.

Orochimaru, our most nefarious villain from part one turned (somewhat) good? Poof. Bye. No reasons there.

Someone doesn't believe in tying up loose ends, and this ending ended up tripping all over itself.

Yeah, if I was going to complain about anything, it'd be about stuff like this.

However, I'm so happy Naruto and Hinata finally got together I'll overlook the nitpicky stuff and hope that some of the many loose ends are addressed in the movie. Maybe some will happen in the mini arcs next year?

I keep wanting to re-read it, but I'm trying to hold off until the anime catches up so I can watch it happen.

360pages

I mean she doesnt insult orphans, unlike sakura...
Its sad knowing youll never find a girl whos as great as Hinata...

That...was a really fucked up moment for Kishi to have Sakura say that. If he was trying to make her likable from the start he failed horribly at it.

Even worse, considering we just saw how hard it was for Naruto to make friends, and why exactly he acts out.

I think it was pretty clear Oro was the one following Sasuke. Whether or not they left it ambiguous to expand upon it in The Last or the mini-series is anybody's guess.

I think it was pretty clear Oro was the one following Sasuke. Whether or not they left it ambiguous to expand upon it in The Last or the mini-series is anybody's guess.

Unfortunately, I think I remember someone saying the new data book says that Oro dies off-screen because of 'side effects' from a life of experimentation. Like so many characters and plot points, it's just tossed aside as a mere footnote.

Talk about abusive relationships is just bad hyperbole. We're in a ninja manga where characters violently fight each other to the death because the plot, not relationships, demands it. Domestic abuse is about power and control, that's not what's going on here. Sasuke's not abusing Sakura to keep her in line or maintain power over her, he tried to kill her and Naruto because he wanted to obliterate the Leaf or whatever his motivation of the day was.

Well said.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Talk about abusive relationships is just bad hyperbole. We're in a ninja manga where characters violently fight each other to the death because the plot, not relationships, demand it. Domestic abuse is about power and control, Sasuke's not abusing Sakura to keep her in line or maintain power over her.

The bolded is the biggest asspull excuse ever. Sasuke has stabbed and knocked her out just for begging him to stay and for admitting she's loved him. It wasn't because they are ninjas.

Domestic abuse is not always about power and control, and if you think this is all the blame being put on Sasuke, you're mistaken. The problem is a girl chased after a guy who wanted nothing to do with her, stabbed her on numerous occasions, choked her, and attempted to kill her, yet she continues to love him and eventually ends up with him even after all the shit she's endured. That's no powerful fucking love story. That's a desperate girl being consistently made into a punching bag for love and a cruddy author making light of it.

Ninja world be damned. Sasuke at least thought of Naruto as a rival. He's done Nothing but call Sakura annoying. There's no love there. Manga completely tries to make a volatile relationship look acceptable and even solidifies it in the end. Guess what? She's gonna keep coming back no matter how much you stab her ass! That's how women are!

Edit: *sigh* and like that I've lost interest again. I'm just glad this crap is over and hopefully no other mangakas take after Kishimoto's disgusting writing.

TUSR

Banned
Unfortunately, I think I remember someone saying the new data book says that Oro dies off-screen because of 'side effects' from a life of experimentation. Like so many characters and plot points, it's just tossed aside as a mere footnote.

hes also ridiculously out classed at this point

The bolded is the biggest asspull excuse ever. Sasuke has stabbed and knocked her out just for begging him to stay and for admitting she's loved him. It wasn't because they are ninjas.

Domestic abuse is not always about power and control, and if you think this is all the blame being put on Sasuke, you're mistaken. The problem is a girl chased after a guy who wanted nothing to do with her, stabbed her on numerous occasions, choked her, and attempted to kill her, yet she continues to love him and eventually ends up with him even after all the shit she's endured. That's no powerful fucking love story. That's a desperate girl being consistently made into a punching bag for love and a cruddy author making light of it.

Ninja world be damned. Sasuke at least thought of Naruto as a rival. He's done Nothing but call Sakura annoying. There's no love there. Manga completely tries to make a volatile relationship look acceptable and even solidifies it in the end. Guess what? She's gonna keep coming back no matter how much you stab her ass! That's how women are!
If you read this whole paragraph and still think that a shitty page changes everything then I don't know what to say.
SasuSaku is fucked up.

FZZ

Banned

That was Genjutsu bro.

360pages

hes also ridiculously out classed at this point

Kabuto is pretty much a better version of him, which is nice considering Kabuto always felt more like a student than Sasuke did.

Though Oro's body was so messed up that he had to change it every 3-4 years, I still don't know how that happened.

Well her work is good enough to be enjoyable even if it is fan fiction.

PL6YJh2.jpg

Whats her character archetype? I seem to always like similar characters in all other series'.
If you mean shy, quiet, and reserved characters, I believe theyre shrinking violets. I love them too, im love Yukiko from Persona 4 and I think shes also a shrinking violet.

Okay I can't really argue with someone who decides to ignore the entire context of the universe in which the manga takes place. But everything you said would apply equally to Naruto's relationship with Sasuke. Why does Naruto never giving up on Sasuke get seen as admirable when Sasuke has murdered multiple people and tried to kill Naruto and his friends multiple times. The evaluation of the behavior should not be changing between acceptable and deplorable just because one's motivation is friendship versus romance.

Sasuke is literally trying to kill Naruto during their final fight. That is just as bad as putting Sakura under a genjustu where he kills her to prevent her from interfering or whatever.

Part 1 had better writing in any event, I'm not disputing that:

Sasuke shows that he has some kind of positive feelings for Sakura here, and he knocks her out because Sakura threatens to scream and alter the village he's leaving with Orochimaru. In Part 2 Sasuke is kinda insane and trying to kill everyone based on rapid and continually shifting motivations.

FZZ

Banned
If you loved someone, would you put them in an illusion where they think you stabbed them?

People please, please stop making excuses for these two. It's an abusive pairing and there's nothing that could redeem it.

Never said he loved her then.

What I will say is he was hell bent on making everyone close to him hate him, and since Naruto was never going to let go he had to kill him. Also Sasuke is really, really, really fucked up psychologically because of the way all the events in his life happened. In addition to that the way everything led up to it explains his behavior prior to the war arc, not that it's an excuse but it explains why he acted the way he did.

Also calling Sakura a punching bag is more insulting to her character than her ending up with Sasuke is. She very well knows how Sasuke was acting and why he was acting that way. And she accepted that because like Naruto she believed the old Sasuke was still there. Also we don't know what happens from the end of 699 to 700, nor do we know what happens in The Last. It may not be the greatest pairing of all time, but don't act like its the end of the world either. And don't even call it abusive since Sasuke was mentally fucked up at the time and they weren't even in a relationship at the time.

I will miss Naruto. I am so glad that Naruto ended up with Hinata instead of Sakura. I am not a shipper but it made the most sense. Hinata has always cared for Naruto, and I am glad that Naruto got mature enough to return her feelings.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Edit: *sigh* and like that I've lost interest again. I'm just glad this crap is over and hopefully no other mangakas take after Kishimoto's disgusting writing.

In fairness, its not the real world (i.e. Sakura is like the third most dangerous person alive) and lots and lots of time elapses between 698 and 700.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Naruto and Sasuke have the most bullshit and terrible friendship I've ever seen. Trust me, they're not immune to this criticism either, but in this case, Naruto didn't marry his abuser, thank God.

And I'm out now, because I've just seen justification for Sasuke treating her like shit and complete disregard for my earlier post regarding how abuse isn't black and white. Who gives a damn if Sakura knew the old Sasuke was there? The same Sasuke that belittled her and constantly called her annoying? She is a punching bag. She never once had an opportunity to ask for answers of his shit behavior, nor about anything else. She just takes everything like a damn mannequin.

There's no excuses for it. None.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Never said he loved her then.

What I will say is he was hell bent on making everyone close to him hate him, and since Naruto was never going to let go he had to kill him. Also Sasuke is really, really, really fucked up psychologically because of the way all the events in his life happened. In addition to that the way everything led up to it explains his behavior prior to the war arc, not that it's an excuse but it explains why he acted the way he did.

Also calling Sakura a punching bag is more insulting to her character than her ending up with Sasuke is. She very well knows how Sasuke was acting and why he was acting that way. And she accepted that because like Naruto she believed the old Sasuke was still there. Also we don't know what happens from the end of 699 to 700, nor do we know what happens in The Last. It may not be the greatest pairing of all time, but don't act like its the end of the world either. And don't even call it abusive since Sasuke was mentally fucked up at the time and they weren't even in a relationship at the time.

Actually, the only people outside of taka and the village elders who had heard the truth about itachi were Naruto, Kakashi, and Yamato (via obito). I don't think Sakura ever found out, at least, not through chapter 699.

No one else knew why Sasuke went batshit insane, why he continued to be an enemy even after he accomplished his original goal of killing itachi

Naruto and Sasuke have the most bullshit and terrible friendship I've ever seen. Trust me, they're not immune to this criticism either, but in this case, Naruto didn't marry his abuser, thank God.

And I'm out now, because I've just seen justification for Sasuke treating her like shit and complete disregard for my earlier post regarding how abuse isn't black and white. Who gives a damn if Sakura knew the old Sasuke was there? The same Sasuke that belittled her and constantly called her annoying? She is a punching bag. She never once had an opportunity to ask for answers of his shit behavior, nor about anything else. She just takes everything like a damn mannequin.

bUT NARUTO AND SASUKE!!!!

FZZ

Banned

Psychological damage isn't black and white either. There is no justification for abuse I already said that, but mental illness is something that exists too and is very real and explains why people will lash out and hurt others in really fucked up ways. And again we don't know what happens from 699-700 or The Last.

Anyways you've already established your own context for what happened in the manga there's no arguing with you or any way for you to change your stance so I'll stop as well.

EDIT: To be extra clear Naruto is no exception when it comes to poorly written female characters; it and the rest of Japan's manga/anime media suffers from serious sexism and gender problems. But I don't see the issue of forgiving/reconciling with Sasuke as a sex or gender exclusive problem related to domestic abuse, but instead as larger and recurring problem of bad writing regarding forgiveness and redemption in the face of horrific violent acts against the world and individuals at large (Pain/Obito). Naruto and Sakura, if culpable, should be seen as equally culpable; supporting and legitimizing an evil person's actions and behavior by being their best friend is not inherently better than being in a romantic relationship with said person.

Well then we agree more than we don't because my original post noted my issue with that very discrepancy:
If they're wrong for forgiving Sasuke (which there is an argument for), it seems to me that they're equally culpable as Sasuke has tried to kill them both several times

And I've said before that their relationships (naruto and sasuke, sasuke and sakura) was totally undercooked and unjustified (Kishi has admitted this as well, saying that he intended them to come across as brothers but that instead they come across crazy and obsessed).

Even earlier post of mine:

I still believe Naruto and Sakura both had an underwritten and poorly justified obsession with Sasuke, but after thinking about it more, I think I'm coming around to Psycho_Mantis' explanation. I just don't see a good reason to rag on Sakura for the same thing Naruto did, my problem is implementation as opposed to the principle. The sticking point for me is I would have preferred for the reconciliation to not be so immediate and unconditional (Sakura acting like Sasuke did nothing wrong was too much for me in particular), but the rushed nature of the final chapters went beyond just that.

As I said/alluded to,I'm not opposed to the manga's outcome in theory (characters forgiving Sasuke and reforging relationships, platonic or romantic), otherwise I would have dropped it when Naruto was forgiving Pain/Obito, but as written I do agree that it was not properly established, contextualized, executed, or earned.

And the predominant model for domestic abuse is the power/control model, so I'm not sure why that in particular is a point of contention.

If you mean shy, quiet, and reserved characters, I believe theyre shrinking violets. I love them too, im love Yukiko from Persona 4 and I think shes also a shrinking violet.

Theyre pretty great. Not exactly the same but some best girls from other series' include Onodera (Nisekoi) and Todokoro (Soma). The bestest.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Karui's right. There's no reason for them to learn the Inoshikacho combination because its fucking dumb and a completely random set of abilities that barely have any legitimate synergy.

smurfx

get some go again
ultimate troll ending would have been all the kids in the village looking just like sasuke. last panel is sasuke walking away from the village like this.

jQqB49QrtD8tR.jpg

dani_dc

Can we even call it an abusive relation when Sasuke wanted nothing to do with Sakura and would had tried to kill anyone that went after him?
There was no relationship to speak off really, an abusive relationships needs a relationship to exist on the first place. It's not an abusive relation when you try to get away from someone and that person keeps showing up in front of you to try and thwart your plans.

If anything Sakura was a crazy stalker that never was able to mature enough to get over her childhood crush and kept going after Sasuke despite him being an homicidial maniac.

Either way it's am awful relationship.

Erigu

How sad is it that Kakashi might actual be weaker as Hokage than he was at the start of the series?
What's even sadder is that he's still hiding his left eye. Not sure why he would do that at this point... unless he's trying to pretend he still has a super powerful magical eye. Poor guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom