• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

KingBroly

Banned
Wait, so Charlotte had the right to nix the whole thing, but we're still going to give the company shit?

Wrestling has always done tasteless shit like that, and it always will. Riding the line of edge and reality is part of what makes wrestling wrestling, and when it works, it works. Charlotte talking about her brother is the first time she's felt remotely human in a promo, and Paige's line about Reid is the most dastardly heel shit that's happened on WWE TV in a long time. Considering I had zero hype about the match, and now want to see Paige get the snot kicked out of her, I'd say it did its job and gave an otherwise forgettable segment the gravitas and weight to justify making it a main event - which, btw, is a sign that the higher ups in the company are on board with the divas revolution, whatever hiccups it has experienced thus far and will experience in the future.

If Charlotte said no, they'd probably put pressure on her until she said yes anyway. They don't give a shit about the people involved, only their stories.

How is it the company's fault if they give her the option to nix something, and she chooses not to exercise that right because she's "not comfortable" doing so? Wrestling companies exist to get heat on wrestlers and feuds, and as shown by the reaction to the segment, Reid was a low-hanging fruit with a lot of potential to get a reaction from people, which is what makes the company money and allows the individual performers to make more money (inarguably something women wrestlers deserve to do more of). What other option does the company have other than to put it out there and trust that an adult woman should have the maturity and spine to give them an honest answer about how she feels? I doubt they were just dying to make Ric Flair cry by referencing his dead son, they just wanted to get heat on their women wrestlers to capitalize on the Rousey/Holm shit.

Yes.

I'm glad I was bored watching Raw and turned it off before that segment.

People will do literally anything to defend Vince McMahon.

Let me just repeat that, because it's 2015, and it must be expressed with the utmost of crystal clarity that despite everything, all the people he's fucked over, all the people he'll continue to fuck over, people will do literally anything to defend Vince "It's unfortunate that my stepfather died before I could kill him. I would have enjoyed that." McMahon

WCW and WWE have a long-spanning history of fucking over the Flairs because "fuck Ric". But no, I'm sure the 75th time it happened, it was really just an accident. Really. All is forgivennnnn

People will do literally anything to defend Vince McMahon.

Let me just repeat that, because it's 2015, and it must be expressed with the utmost of crystal clarity that despite everything, all the people he's fucked over, all the people he'll continue to fuck over, people will do literally anything to defend Vince "It's unfortunate that my stepfather died before I could kill him. I would have enjoyed that." McMahon

I don't give a fuck about Vince McMahon. i enjoyed the segment, thought it was classic tasteless wrasslin' and did a good job of getting heat on the feud.

jred2k

How is it the company's fault if they give her the option to nix something, and she chooses not to exercise that right because she's "not comfortable" doing so? Wrestling companies exist to get heat on wrestlers and feuds, and as shown by the reaction to the segment, Reid was a low-hanging fruit with a lot of potential to get a reaction from people, which is what makes the company money and allows the individual performers to make more money (inarguably something women wrestlers deserve to do more of). What other option does the company have other than to put it out there and trust that an adult woman should have the maturity and spine to give them an honest answer about how she feels? I doubt they were just dying to make Ric Flair cry by referencing his dead son, they just wanted to get heat on their women wrestlers to capitalize on the Rousey/Holm shit.

They've already found a way to endear her and allow her to tell her story and they didn't have to do it in such a shitty way. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8fe6gH091o

Sure, they won't play a seven minute sit-down interview on Raw, but that was in September. They could have shown bits and pieces of it by now. They wouldn't have had to do the one-night cheap heat promo if they had been using the time since Charlotte got called up to make us actually care about her.

dream

I don't give a fuck about Vince McMahon. i enjoyed the segment, thought it was classic tasteless wrasslin' and did a good job of getting heat on the feud.

I feel like Wrestlinggaf often tries to ignore or deny that wrestling is predicated on being tasteless (AAA really could have avoided the predicament they're in right now if they had turned Rey, FWIW), and react with outrage when confronted with what you and I know this business really is.

They cared so much about family they asked nobody outside of her.

Ric was scared shitless to even bring up his actual feelings on the podcast because he was afraid Charlotte's career would be ruined, and knew she had no clue what to do in that position.

You want deep history on what happens in that position? Owen had to choose between a rafter entrance he was scared shitless of and seeing if WCW liked him as much as Bret. It's not a fucking easy choice to make saying no to Vince. Just like it won't be easy when people have to do it to HHH and Steph. Another history lesson: you remember that one writer who reacted to being fired with "alright", and Steph called him repeatedly to remind him he was fired? It was funny because it was so petty, but that's how the heirs to the throne treat people who don't care. Imagine how they'll be when they control the lives of those who do.

Real lives are affected by this shit, and it's ignorant to brush off the seriousness or effects just because "I was entertained, so nobody's at fault"

dream

Totally agree with you, Sweeney Tom. So the question becomes: why do you all support this bottom-feeding, predatory, life-ruining horseshit?

Have never paid money for the Network. Did exactly one free trial, which didn't even make it the full month.

Last WWE thing I bought at all was a December to Dismember DVD in...2009 I think? Started to learn more about/become more disgusted about WWE's history around that time, and my interest in financially supporting the company ever again went south. And that purchase was only because I lost a bet and had to buy a shit event (which I never watched live and thought "hey couldn't be that bad").

Lost that bet in more ways than one because holy fucking shit

Just remembered another fun example, in fact:

Remember when Paul Bearer's family (not Taker/Kane) got asked permission for his name to be used during the build to Taker/Punk and they said ok

And then in addition to using his name, they had mock ashes claimed to be his dumped and wiped all over Punk and Taker

Spoiler: they were horrified watching this
Spoiler: apparently this is okay. "not the company's fault"

ed: Shit, sorry for the double posts, damn mobile

Does anybody else think they should eventually put the heavyweight title on The New Day, in a shared reign? Have them shockingly beat a face champion sometime in 2016 in a throwaway handicapped match on RAW, shake up the company to its core. It would be something new and different that could really get people talking again. Them playing hot potato with the biggest prize in the business would be hilarious.
I suggested this last week or two weeks ago. It would be too sweet.

Exodust

Banned
A good question to ask is where Sheamus winning the championship fits in the quickly approaching road to Wrestlemania.

Probably a very late post but whatevs.

Don't think it will. Whether Sheamus wins the championship or not(he will) I feel like he's going to be a transitional champ with maybe a month reign. I bet he probably loses his shot/title in a championship match at the Royal Rumble. Whether he gets a rematch after that I dunno, what I do know is he ain't sniffing the WM Main Event.

Percy Pringle aka Paul Bearer is definitely a Top 3 Managers of all time. He even made miscarders like Shaun Ricker aka Eli Drake now a superstar

ed: ^^ I'd say he's my top 1. Heyman to me has always been better commentator than manager for some reason, and Manager Heyman should be deducted points for that Cesaro and Ryback and Axel run

Probably a very late post but whatevs.

Don't think it will. Whether Sheamus wins the championship or not(he will) I feel like he's going to be a transitional champ with maybe a month reign. I bet he probably loses his shot/title in a championship match at the Royal Rumble. Whether he gets a rematch after that I dunno, what I do know is he ain't sniffing the WM Main Event.

I think if he's actually holding it longer than a month, it's not happening till after Mania to have that TMNT photoshoot rub (it's out June 3, next MITB [latest the case can be cashed in] isn't until June 12)

They cared so much about family they asked nobody outside of her.

Ric was scared shitless to even bring up his actual feelings on the podcast because he was afraid Charlotte's career would be ruined, and knew she had no clue what to do in that position.

You want deep history on what happens in that position? Owen had to choose between a rafter entrance he was scared shitless of and seeing if WCW liked him as much as Bret. It's not a fucking easy choice to make saying no to Vince. Just like it won't be easy when people have to do it to HHH and Steph. Another history lesson: you remember that one writer who reacted to being fired with "alright", and Steph called him repeatedly to remind him he was fired? It was funny because it was so petty, but that's how the heirs to the throne treat people who don't care. Imagine how they'll be when they control the lives of those who do.

Real lives are affected by this shit, and it's ignorant to brush off the seriousness or effects just because "I was entertained, so nobody's at fault"
When did the last part happen? Who was it?

When did the last part happen? Who was it?

Was looking all over for the name, couldn't remember it aside from the first name sounding French.

Patrice O'Neal. Fuck Opie and Anthony, but he confirmed it on their show during an appearance in 2009 or '10 laughing about the situation.

Was looking all over for the name, couldn't remember it aside from the first name sounding French.

Patrice O'Neal. Fuck Opie and Anthony, but he confirmed it on their show during an appearance in 2009 or '10 laughing about the situation.
What a douche situation. Fuck Steph for that, I don't event think Vince would do that.

Exodust

Banned
I think if he's actually holding it longer than a month, it's not happening till after Mania to have that TMNT photoshoot rub (it's out June 3, next MITB [latest the case can be cashed in] isn't until June 12)

Oh man, I forgot he was in the next TMNT movie. I also forgot there was going to be another TMNT movie. And I'm an old school fan who didn't mind the last one.

Patrice was a writer for the WWE? Part of me thinks I might have known that but completely forgot about it later down the line.

MC Safety

Percy Pringle aka Paul Bearer is definitely a Top 3 Managers of all time. He even made miscarders like Shaun Ricker aka Eli Drake now a superstar

Top three? That's a tough call.

My fab five managers:

1) Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
2) "Classy" Freddie Blassie
3) Captain Lou Albano
4) Mr. Fuji
5) Jimmy "The Mouth of the South" Hart
5A) The Grand Wizard

thefro

N2Rqjvq.png

According to the latest Ric Flair podcast

To be fair to WWE, Flair would have already been crying because Charlotte was in the "main event segment" on Raw.

Out of what aired, I think the only thing that was shitty and out of line was Paige's comment at the end for cheap heat. Charlotte talks about Reid quite a bit.

Obviously they should have asked Charlotte earlier, and they probably should have let Ric know as a courtesy.

Aiii

So not worth it
I absolutely love that Survivor Series is presented by Anti-acid medication. What a wonderfully apt sponsor for WWE right now.

I go to all that effort and you fuckers can't keep on point for a 50 post derail?

When I come back with the next batch of Sexsmith GIF's, you all deserve whatever happens.

Well, there we go - AJPW's gone from paying salaries to paying wrestlers per-match, which is surely a contributing factor in what led to KENSO, Akebono, Shiozaki & Kotaro leaving to become freelancers. Also, the schedule for shows next year is very sparse and no one knows what's going on. Last July Cable TV Yamagata became AJPW's parent company, but it doesn't seem to have helped matters and apparently Akiyama didn't receive the news at all well.

Recall

So that's my PWG collection so far which is mostly just 2005 and 2006 shows with the odd show from different years.

Quite excited for Mystery Vortex, Eleven and all of 2014 BOLA to arrive! Yay for nonsical Indy wrestling!

Exodust

Banned
I'm at work and some guy just showed up in a New Japan ProWrestling T-Shirt. I would have talked to him about NJPW but since I haven't seen anything involving it since maybe the early 00's I didn't want to expose myself as a fraud.

The real reason is I didn't want to talk about prowrestling at work(still haven't seen any NJPW stuff since 02, and should probably change that).

Hex

Banned
N2Rqjvq.png

According to the latest Ric Flair podcast

I do not believe it for a moment.
Ric would elbow drop an urn of David's ashes for $50 and a Dave and Buster gift card at an indy show these days.
He is working you.
His wife, ex wife whatever got upset so he is covering himself.

DMczaf

Y'all getting worked into a worked shoot with a known worker he is known to work a shoot into a work.

I bet Ric gave them the idea to use Reid.

Jamie OD

Well, there we go - AJPW's gone from paying salaries to paying wrestlers per-match, which is surely a contributing factor in what led to KENSO, Akebono, Shiozaki & Kotaro leaving to become freelancers. Also, the schedule for shows next year is very sparse and no one knows what's going on. Last July Cable TV Yamagata became AJPW's parent company, but it doesn't seem to have helped matters and apparently Akiyama didn't receive the news at all well.

Yeah it's not looking good. I think Wrestle-1 is on its last legs too and Sanshiro Takagi was just brought in to help manage their debts until the time comes to close down.

Recall

Yeah it's not looking good. I think Wrestle-1 is on its last legs too and Sanshiro Takagi was just brought in to help manage their debts until the time comes to close down.

Who is running AJPW these days? Is it still Akiyama and Mutoh or was that years ago?

Kaladin

I watched most of the 90 minute edition of Raw last night, still need to see Kalisto vs Del Rio and the contract signing.

The matches I saw were excellent, and I wish we had more like that on Raw. Give us amazing one on one match ups with no story interruptions or gimmicks and you'll see ratings tick up.

I loved the contrast between Owens vs Neville and Ziggler vs Ambrose. Two great matches of different styles.

Roman vs Cesaro was a PPV main event, and I hope it proved Cesaro can hang at that level.

Even though the outcome is predictable as hell, I look forward to this Sunday.

Raw64life

So there is a Survivor Series match but they didn't announce who would be participating on Smackdown?

Because the creative team has no idea who is gonna be in it either. It'll probably be New Day plus a couple other people vs. Usos, Ryback and a couple other people.

Kaladin

Wrestling logic would tell you that they would use the people who didn't make the final four in the tournament, but that would require wrestling logic so we're likely getting New Day + 2 vs Dudleys +3

imBask

Banned
Survivor Series is one of the big four, and only 2 of them are gimmicks. Yet these fuckers couldn't event prepare accordingly and didn't plan a SURVIVOR SERIES MATCH

"oh yeah Royal Rumble is coming up but we forgot about the Rumble match, so I guess you can have a Royal Rumble match anyway, I don't know, put the usos in it"

this company is infuriating, #When'sLucha

Aiii

So not worth it
Survivor Series hasn't been a big PPV for well over a decade now.

I'd say TLC is generally much bigger in that it's the end point of the we-don't-give-a-fuck period and the start of Mania season.

Kaladin

Survivor Series is one of the big four, and only 2 of them are gimmicks. Yet these fuckers couldn't event prepare accordingly and didn't plan a SURVIVOR SERIES MATCH

"oh yeah Royal Rumble is coming up but we forgot about the Rumble match, so I guess you can have a Royal Rumble match anyway, I don't know, put the usos in it"

this company is infuriating, #When'sLucha

Barring last year's Team Cena vs Team Authority which really meant jack shit in the end, most modern SS matches and like this. I'm of the opinion that Vince hates traditional Survivor Series matches.

Top Bottom