• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Fox318

I still say this was his best look

whc_daniel_bryan_by_windows8osx-d4jmgpp.jpg

That belt reminds me.

You need a heel and somebody who is a good enough performer to get real heat.

Get Mark Henry out there.

jmdajr

I cry for Rusev and his dumb as bricks wife. He was Championship material.

Vince really has to forgive him. They need heels bad.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Man, if only Rusev hadn't been injured, he could be the man right now and Roman could be gunning for him at the Ramble, or Mania.

I'm a big proponent of the idea WWE is a kids TV show, regardless of the occasionally edgy content they do depending on the era. I've talked about it before, but the Attitude era with all it's lewd and twiste nonsense was built for 11-16 year old boys, regardless of the age rating, because even if you can't explicitly market it as for kids, women in bikinis, first blood matches an people getting set on fire is what makes that demo want to tune in and buy merch.

Nowadays, WWE has toned down the edgy components in order to bring younger children into the fold, and also allow parents to feel less conflicted about taking their kids to shows and buying all the products. It's more for kids than it ever has been, and as a product of this alienates fewer adults who find the seedy stuff from the Attitude era either a put off, or inappropriate for family entertainment. I remember the days when I was 9 and my dad would have to change the channel during bikini matches because 'this bit isn't for you' (and then 2 years later i'd be rewatching those bits on my recorded VHS tapes because...fascinating...)

My point is - guys, chill out. Chill out with this 'DON'T GIVE WWE YOUR MONEY THIS IS TERRIBLE' stuff. Yes, but when you go back and watch clips of Pokemon or whatever on youtube, do you make dozens of posts about how illogical and simplistic the writiing is? No, because you understand the context of that show, and maybe take a little joy in your inner child being satisfied. Or Kenan and Kel, or whatever.

Those are straight up kids shows, and don't hold our interest beyond nostalgia. WWE is a kids show which, because of the legitimate appeal of the stuntwork and the backstage intrigue, also has appeal for adults, so you get a few different levels of interest for people who are 18+ to still enjoy.

But don't let that start to distract you from the fact that it's designed to be understood and enjoyed by children as young as say, 5 years old. If you know a segment is grabbing for that demo, don't waste your time pulling your hair about about how it's simplistic, boring or obvious. Just skip it. Turn your attention to another aspect of the huge product they put out that more holds you attention, whether it's WWE branded content or stuff like the Attitude Era podcast, which is something I used to kill time with on a night shift job I had.

I understand that it's hard to break away from wrestling, because it really does get a vice grip on you in terms of passing interest. I mean, Survivor Series last night was pretty boring, but hey, Raw's on tonight, maybe something will happen? But it doesn't need to be so negative and yucky as some people make it.

Barrage

what

if you don't like hunger games, don't give hunger games your money

if you don't like wwe, don't give wwe your money

their TV is a commercial for the network. if you buy the network, even if you don't watch the TV (or HATE the TV), you're giving them $10 a month and essentially saying "everything is fine as it is".

But if I LIKE the network, what does the quality of the commercial matter?

Your flaw is in thinking everyone watches the network for the same reasons as you.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Unless they manage to turn Brock on the few dates he has left prior to mania I don't see how 100,000 people don't boo Roman.

Nope, that's what will happen.

The best thing that could happen to Roman to get him over is somehow go back in time and take those knee injuries for Seth-kun. Seriously, the only thing I can see causing people's reactions to the guy to change are taking him from a kayfabe Vince underdog to an actual underdog.

Kaladin

I'm a big proponent of the idea WWE is a kids TV show, regardless of the occasionally edgy content they do depending on the era. I've talked about it before, but the Attitude era with all it's lewd and twiste nonsense was built for 11-16 year old boys, regardless of the age rating, because even if you can't explicitly market it as for kids, women in bikinis, first blood matches an people getting set on fire is what makes that demo want to tune in and buy merch.

Nowadays, WWE has toned down the edgy components in order to bring younger children into the fold, and also allow parents to feel less conflicted about taking their kids to shows and buying all the products. It's more for kids than it ever has been, and as a product of this alienates fewer adults who find the seedy stuff from the Attitude era either a put off, or inappropriate for family entertainment. I remember the days when I was 9 and my dad would have to change the channel during bikini matches because 'this bit isn't for you' (and then 2 years later i'd be rewatching those bits on my recorded VHS tapes because...fascinating...)

My point is - guys, chill out. Chill out with this 'DON'T GIVE WWE YOUR MONEY THIS IS TERRIBLE' stuff. Yes, but when you go back and watch clips of Pokemon or whatever on youtube, do you make dozens of posts about how illogical and simplistic the writiing is? No, because you understand the context of that show, and maybe take a little joy in your inner child being satisfied. Or Kenan and Kel, or whatever.

Those are straight up kids shows, and don't hold our interest beyond nostalgia. WWE is a kids show which, because of the legitimate appeal of the stuntwork and the backstage intrigue, also has appeal for adults, so you get a few different levels of interest for people who are 18+ to still enjoy.

But don't let that start to distract you from the fact that it's designed to be understood and enjoyed by children as young as say, 5 years old. If you know a segment is grabbing for that demo, don't waste your time pulling your hair about about how it's simplistic, boring or obvious. Just skip it. Turn your attention to another aspect of the huge product they put out that more holds you attention, whether it's WWE branded content or stuff like the Attitude Era podcast, which is something I used to kill time with on a night shift job I had.

I understand that it's hard to break away from wrestling, because it really does get a vice grip on you in terms of passing interest. I mean, Survivor Series last night was pretty boring, but hey, Raw's on tonight, maybe something will happen? But it doesn't need to be so negative and yucky as some people make it.

Want to know something that will blow your mind? Doctor Who is a kids show. Yes, the current Doctor Who is marketed as a kids show in the UK. They are a kid show yet the content is just as appealing to adults and all ages in between. You can appeal to the youngest demographic without alienating the rest of your base, WWE is just too out of touch to do it.

Ithil

He worked out with HHH that one time. Probably gets him more influence than anything he's accomplished in the ring.

Del Rio said after he was fired that Sheamus (and himself) were completely Vince's guys, not HHH's. HHH has his NXT graduates as his people, which was Del Rio's complaint that HHH doesn't care about anyone from pre-NXT.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I don't buy that WWE programming is "for kids" in the least. It's just all-ages friendly. I don't think WWE isn't actually aware the average viewer is a 40 year old man and that their programming extends well beyond the time the average 8-12 year old is in bed already.

Predictable is the worst thing you could do. It's basically male soap opera crap - stuff needs to happen, and stuff isn't happening that isn't predictable.

jmdajr

Del Rio said after he was fired that Sheamus (and himself) were completely Vince's guys, not HHH's. HHH has his NXT graduates as his people, which was Del Rio's complaint that HHH doesn't care about anyone from pre-NXT.

Time to change The Game.

Ithil

WWE's target audience is one person, and he's no kid.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WWE is inclusive to everyone. There's something for everyone on their show.

Angry Grimace

If Sheamus even makes it to Mania as the champion, I expect him to lose in less than 18 seconds.

I'd make an avatar bet he doesn't make it past Royal Rumble (there's no way they're going to even sort-of tease Sheamus headlining WrestleMania to the point I expect him to lose it by TLC) but I already lost one for his successful cash-in. We never really agreed on the loser's avatar though so I'll have to wait for the dude I took on to claim his prize.

Toki767

I'd make an avatar bet he doesn't make it past Royal Rumble (there's no way they're going to even sort-of tease Sheamus headlining WrestleMania to the point I expect him to lose it by TLC) but I already lost one for his successful cash-in. We never really agreed on the loser's avatar though so I'll have to wait for the dude I took on to claim his prize.

I don't expect the world title match to be the headline match of the show to be honest. So that means Sheamus could easily still be the champion going into it.

Menome

My boring-and-safe predictions for the next six months:

TLC: Sheamus vs Reigns, Sheamus retains.

Royal Rumble: Brock throws 29 other guys out of the ring. Reigns wins against Sheamus. Stare-down at end of PPV.

Wrestlemania: Brock vs Reigns Pt.2 in a mirror of last year's match - Either Brock wins and everyone goes "fair enough" or Reigns wins and everyone goes "fair enough".

As noted upthread:
Angry Grimace, please enjoy for the next 30 days:
MLP_FiM_%2329_CVR_HT.png

Please note that these were the other candidates:
John-Cena-got-owned-by-Rainbow-Dash-my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-29940524-900-563.png

1sg02HI.png

TmMqPch.png
(Actually, I think this was someone's avatar at one point.)

WWE is inclusive to everyone. There's something for everyone on their show.

I agree more or less, but there isn't something for everyone in every show or angle. Roman is working with the kids, and adults are frustrated that it doesn't appeal to them. My point is, you've got to dip in and out to the stuff you like, whether it's old stuff on the network, additional 'universe' stuff like the Stone Cold podcasts, or midcard wrestlers you enjoy.

Maybe the complaining is all part of the fun too, I just get the sense a lot of people don't realise that they're still fully engaging with the show when they do that. If you don't want to watch it, like, just don't watch it. You don't need to announce that it's so bad you can no longer stand it twenty times, or try to convince other people they are wrong and bad for watching/giving WWE any money.

I'm just trying to counter some of the relentless whining that has been going on over the past day. I guess that's part of my fun? I just don't hate-watch the show. I either watch or I don't. I'm gonna put Raw on in the background tonight and probably watch about 20 minutes of it, and enjoy those 20 minutes, and ignore the Usos, the content of Roman's promos etc.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
WWE is a kid's show while the vast majority of viewers are 18+.

It's accessible. You can target an older demographic but it is wise to keep it accessible for all ages to ensure the biggest possible spread of merchandise.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I will say (rules be damned) that I wish Sheamus had come out while both Roman and Dean were out to somehow get the belt, that way "the books" don't need to show a Roman championship reign of a couple minutes. I don't like those.

Top Bottom