• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nashvember Wrasslin' |OT| Big Daddy Cool's Big Sexy Diesel-Powered Month

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
CUldST1UcAAT2bz.jpg

#mecca

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
When you pin it down to WWE Superstar of the Year, it's easy.

A quarter of the year and some change were dedicated to Godhood Rusev. Post-Mania, he continued to do nothing but save every segment he was forced into. His time off, ending with his return last night proved absence makes the heart grow fonder. He's my fave. A real fave. And he's deserving. Love you RuRu. You're my WWE Superstar of the Year.

Runner up to Seth Rollins, who did great.

Who's consistently over with the arena fans these days in WWE? From what I catch it seems like:

New Day
Cesaro
Ambrose
Banks
Lesnar/Heyman

Anyone else, or are some of the above not getting reactions in certain towns?

There's only one Superstar of the Year.

tumblr_ntijyt8jFt1swlf6ho2_500.gif

Certainly was in my MOTY. She's suffering due to the horrific booking of women on the main roster though

jmdajr

When you pin it down to WWE Superstar of the Year, it's easy.

A quarter of the year and some change were dedicated to Godhood Rusev. Post-Mania, he continued to do nothing but save every segment he was forced into. His time off, ending with his return last night proved absence makes the heart grow fonder. He's my fave. A real fave. And he's deserving. Love you RuRu. You're my WWE Superstar of the Year.

Runner up to Seth Rollins, who did great.

Rusev has to be on fall from grace category. Holy fuck I feel so bad for him.

I think Rollins was solid, and New Day as group has to be most improved. KO best new guy for sure.

Evolve tourny so far

Johnny Gargano & Drew Galloway
-Roppongi Vice of Trent Baretta & Rocky Romero
-The Premier Athlete Brand of Anthony Nese & Caleb Konley with So Cal Val
Zack Sabre Jr and TBA
Tommy And and TBA

Evolve tourny so far

Johnny Gargano & Drew Galloway
-Roppongi Vice of Trent Baretta & Rocky Romero
-The Premier Athlete Brand of Anthony Nese & Caleb Konley with So Cal Val
Zack Sabre Jr and TBA
Tommy End and TBA

You might as well throw in Timothy Thatcher and TBA too. And Catch Point will probably have two teams now that they have Riddle, Perkins, Gulak, and Williams.

Probably not worth nominating satamura or hojo

I could see a nomination for Kana, but she doesn't have the body of work.

I'd laugh if someone nominated Chelsea.

I could also see a nomination for Veda Scott, given what she's doing for Inspire, or Nicole Matthews, who had a fairly lengthy run as SHIMMER's champ this year. I feel like Kimber Lee's been everywhere this year, but you don't hear a lot about her. Mia Yim disappeared into the TNA black hole.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Instead of copping out by saying New Day as Most Improved, just pick one person. Who is it?

I don't know if Woods is most improved. I don't think Big E is either.

Kofi for me. He's showing personality. He's changed. Now he's compelling to watch and has personality and drive. Kofi's improved. Probably not my vote for most improved, but out of the New Day, it's him.

Kaladin

Sasha hasn't risen above main roster limitations yet and delivered the awesomeness we saw in NXT. Until she does that, I have my reservations on Performer of the Year for her.

Bayley though, she slides into women's wrestler of the year and most improved of the year easily. She's one of the few true natural babyfaces the company has, and one of the most over on the roster.

Seth Rollins is performer of the year.

jmdajr

Instead of copping out by saying New Day as Most Improved, just pick one person. Who is it?

Kofi for me. He's showing personality. He's changed. Now he's compelling to watch and has personality and drive. Kofi's improved. Probably not my vote for most improved, but out of the New Day, it's him.

Kofi has literally no personality before this. Nothing. I give him the props.To find his mojo after all thsi time is incredible.

imBask

Banned

Roman Reigns improved a lot, regardless of his dumb push

Kofi is now good on the mic. It's not quite full-blown mark henry phoenix tier, but I ENJOY hearing what he has to say now.

First time that's been true for his career in the wwf

Haha, remember when Shoemaker wrote that article about how WWE is enjoying a high point of popularity in 2015 amidst plunging TV ratings and then ESPN and WWE began a formal business relationship not too long after?

That's carny as fuck.

The point about wrestling, or at least WWE and Lucha, being more accepted into the mainstream I think is right. WWE has burned away it's seedy aspects, at least on the surface, so the fans who already existed are more forthright about the fact they watch it, and it's harder for people who look down on it to find reasons to attack it.

That's why you've got things like the AV Club, a very PC kind of website, covering Raw every week now. You've got guys like the Rock and to a lesser extent (so far) Cena being mainstream stars, and Brock with the legitimate fighter crossover appeal. Then you've got the increased attention to the women's division, as mixed as it has been in quality, which looks laudable from a glance. Daniel Bryan and CM Punk are also atypical stars with their modern personalities relating to stuff like D Bry being a big fucking hippie guy, Punk being straight edge. It's all in the mix and has somewhat changed the way WWE is viewed from the outside.

One holdover boundary from it's darker (and it's still dark, but less so) past is that we still haven't had a proper African American star/champ, unless you count The Rock, but they've always marketed him on his Samoan heritage since that for whatever reason is an ethnicity they've branded as having strong wrestling roots.

Putting the championship belt on Big E or Apollo Crews isn't gonna fix the WWE or anything, and it doesn't need to be fixed as badly as it has in the past regarding this kind of thing, but I think it would provide a nice salve and would be something we could all feel good about - providing it's done in an entertaining way.

So yeah, it isn't that WWE is becoming more popular. That doesn't seem to be the case from the ratings and what have you, but I think it is less maligned than it used to be.

outside of the Orton program, this is the most personality he has shown so I would agree with your assessment.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The point about wrestling, or at least WWE and Lucha, being more accepted into the mainstream I think is right. WWE has burned away it's seedy aspects, at least on the surface, so the fans who already existed are more forthright about the fact they watch it, and it's harder for people who look down on it to find reasons to attack it.

That's why you've got things like the AV Club, a very PC kind of website, covering Raw every week now. You've got guys like the Rock and to a lesser extent (so far) Cena being mainstream stars, and guys like Brock with the legitimate fighter crossover appeal. Then you've got the increased attention to the women's division, as mixed as it has been in quality, which looks laudable from a glance.

One holdover boundary from it's darker (and it's still dark, but less so) past is that we still haven't had a proper African American, unless you count The Rock, but they've always marketed him on his Samoan heritage since that for whatever reason is an ethnicity they've branded as having strong wrestling roots.

Putting the championship belt on Big E or Apollo Crews isn't gonna fix the WWE or anything, and it doesn't need to be fixed as badly as it has in the past regarding this kind of thing, but I think it would provide a nice salve and would be something we could all feel good about - providing it's done in an entertaining way.

So yeah, it isn't that WWE is becoming more popular. That doesn't seem to be the case from the ratings and what have you, but I think it is less maligned than it used to be.

I agree that wrestling has made great strides towards being more acceptable in the mainstream, and instead of being just plain wrestling culture, it's crossing over with geek culture, in no small part due to pandering to dorks (which is totally fine, and a smart movie) - most of my kinda geeky friends have recently got into wrestling due to New Day/UpUpDownDown or Rusev.

jmdajr

Roman Reigns improved a lot, regardless of his dumb push

Absolutely true. We all panicked how he would have matches against D. Bry and Brock...and it all worked out just fine.

I still vote for Kofi because dude was almost in JTG category.

I am ok for Seth for Superstar of the Year but Sina does deserves tons of credit too.

Bronx-Man

Banned

I'd go with Xavier. Dude was teaming with R-Truth and jobbing to Brodus Clay.

That's why you've got things like the AV Club, a very PC kind of website, covering Raw every week now. You've got guys like the Rock and to a lesser extent (so far) Cena being mainstream stars, and Brock with the legitimate fighter crossover appeal. Then you've got the increased attention to the women's division, as mixed as it has been in quality, which looks laudable from a glance.

One holdover boundary from it's darker (and it's still dark, but less so) past is that we still haven't had a proper African American, unless you count The Rock, but they've always marketed him on his Samoan heritage since that for whatever reason is an ethnicity they've branded as having strong wrestling roots.

I feel like wrestling as a whole is becoming more popular with the nerd crowd. Lots of love for NJPW among milennial women.

Fox318

Xavier managed to get a crowd to boo him attempting to put somebody through a table.

Dude may have one of the best minds in wrestling right now.

imBask

Banned
are we talking character wise or wrestling wise, or both?

I wouldn't consider Xavier Woods for most improved in the wrestling department, the guy was already good and he barely ever wrestles, he's always on the sidelines

the question is not "most improved/your current favorite dude"

jmdajr

Yes,

Announcer: "This man is unhinged, you never know what's going to come next."

jab, slap, jab, slap, loop da loop around rope, pull rope down, jab, slap, jump through the ropes, jab, slap...

and very very softly I might add. No, nothing connects, literally and figuratively.

With the likes of Bo Dallas around, I don't know how that can be a nomination.

imBask

Banned
Most likely to get fucked on the main roster in 2016

Nominees :

Finn Balor
Sami Zayn
Bayley
Baron Corbin
Hideo Itami
Enzo and Big Cass

Marvel

could never
Do we have an underrated category?

Big Deal Titus O Neil.

When not falling over his own feet, the motherfucker can go. And the crowd seem to generally like him and get hype when he wants em too. I'm a big fan, shame he'll never get a quick taste of the wwe title imo.

Top Bottom