• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natural Born Penalty Killers (NHL 13 EASHL)

Agreed, like Mason can actually stop a shot.

still pumped for tomorrow.

whats everyone's overall impressions so far? I kinda feel like there is always a day 1 patch so things will change but whats the reception?

it plays a better game of hockey than I've ever played mainly due to the skating and some other key improvements that "ugly-up" the game. The good thing is the game feels different, so it's not same ole shit like the past 3 or 4 years have been.

WHAT I LIKE
  • the SKATING, adding the momentum and inability to turn on a dime is a game changer

• the PASSING, now you have to judge the power of the passes again (like NHL11), holding down the pass power button forever now results in bobbles or misses. This helps eliminate the rocket cross-crease passes that could be stopped on a dime that plagued the game last year.

• the GOALIES, for the most part they are no longer retarded. I really like that you can score 5 hole clean now with snipes, getting them moving side-to-side and slotting it in or through redirections. They are more athletic as the spiderman goalies video showed, but I think its still reasonable. They save a lot more cross crease, but so do goalies in the NHL. They still have trouble with soft shots from the point, but other than that I dont have a problem at all.

• the improved GRAPHICS. This one is kind of subtle, but there were some nice improvements to lighting (check the reflections on helmets and visors and how light reflects off jerseys), ice looks better, a lot of player faces are improved and the textures and colors on the jerseys look really good.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE
  • The HITTING, its still broken and ineffective. You still can't hit anyone for shit even if you line them up and crush them. Takes away 1 facet of the game. Good thing they tuned the poke check to be more effective or else you would only have harsh language to use against puck handlers

• The MENU MUSIC, its godawful. I didn't think they could sink lower than last year, but they did easily. I'm pretty sure they are just trolling us now with their choices, good thing you can turn it off in most areas.

• The fact they didn't add anything to the JERSEY CREATION feature :)

Milly79

I think the skating will take a bit to get used to, but I do like the passing going back to '11 style.

I've also noticed that if you pin a guy against the boards, this year you can't hit RB to poke check and snag it away while he's on the boards. Instead, it will make you hit the guy (or so I noticed in the demo).

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'll be on in 30mins if there's space. Gonna go buy a mic right now. If Zellers has mics... (that's the closest to a gamestop i have close to my house.)

Edit: Aaaand it did! All mic'd up now for everyone to determine whether my accent is strong enough to deserve making fun of (it's not)

Delryk

I think the skating will take a bit to get used to, but I do like the passing going back to '11 style.

I've also noticed that if you pin a guy against the boards, this year you can't hit RB to poke check and snag it away while he's on the boards. Instead, it will make you hit the guy (or so I noticed in the demo).

Works.. Just works less i guess. Tried it just last game and worked fine. :)

yall missed some classic shit earlier

the servers went down, it took us like 25 minutes to find a game after that
the 1st one we found we had a 5 man team and got to the "ready up" screen and Moop got put in the middle and in his place on our team was a guy from the opposite team

for shits and giggles we decided to all check up and the guy ended up being our goalie!

after I got done dangling around for 5 minutes and turned the puck over, the other team started shooting on our net and the goalie kept moving out of the way until finally a goal went in

we all bailed soon after but it was good for some laughs

double post, but it's worth it

I found the attribute caps for each build over on the official forums, cleaned up the info a little bit.

It looks like the hard cap is 87 for the highest capped attributes, but keep in mind with individual equipment/slot boosts you can get up to an extra +9 over each cap using a combination of (+5) (+3) (+1) for an individual attribute once you unlock/buy them. So essentially 95 is the ceiling because it's prob not going worth it to waste a spot using that +1 to get to 96.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/8972200.page

I was originally going to upload this for my teammates, but figured it might help some of you out in building your new skaters. As of the pre-release of NHL13, this is the current stat cap for each type of skater in the game.
These caps are not reflective of boosts, or boost packs and there is no difference between positions. For instance a power forwards speed is the same, no matter if they play wing or center.

FORWARDS

Stat Key:

Offensive: (1)DEKING – (2)HANDEYE – (3)OFFAWR – (4)PASSING – (5)PUCKCONTROL – (6)SLAPACC – (7)SLAPPOWER – (8)WRISTACC – (9)WRISTPOW

Defensive: (1)AGGRESSION – (2)BODYCHECKNG – (3)DEFAWR – (4)DISCIPLINE – (5)FACEOFFS – (6)FIGHTING – (7)SHOTBLOCKING – (8)STICKCHECKING

Athleticism: (1)ACCELERATION – (2)AGILITY – (3)BALANCE – (4)DURABILITY – (5)ENDURANCE – (6)SPEED – (7)STRENGTH

Playmaker:
O: 87-85-87-87-87-85-78-85-78
D: 76-76-82-87-84-70-75-78
A: 82-82-78-70-80-82-75

Sniper:
O: 83-85-86-80-84-82-82-87-87
D: 80-76-78-80-82-70-78-78
A: 82-80-78-70-80-82-78

Power Forward:
O:83-82-82-81-81-80-82-80-84
D: 82-87-78-80-80-82-80-80
A: 82-78-85-82-78-82-85

2-Way Forward:
O:83-84-82-82-82-80-80-80-80
D:80-78-85-87-87-75-85-85
A: 82-80-80-75-85-82-78

Tough Guy Forward:
O:75-78-75-75-73-75-87-75-87
D: 87-87-78-75-78-87-85-80
A: 80-76-85-87-78-80-87

Grinder:
O: 80-84-76-76-78-76-78-76-78
D: 82-87-85-80-87-80-85-85
A: 84-80-80-85-85-84-80

DEFENSEMEN

Stat Key:

Offensive: (1)DEKING – (2)HANDEYE – (3)OFFAWR – (4)PASSING – (5)PUCKCONTROL – (6)SLAPACC – (7)SLAPPOWER – (8)WRISTACC – (9)WRISTPOW

Defensive: (1)AGGRESSION – (2)BODYCHECKNG – (3)DEFAWR – (4)DISCIPLINE – (5)FACEOFFS – (6)FIGHTING – (7)SHOTBLOCKING – (8)STICKCHECKING

Athleticism: (1)ACCELERATION – (2)AGILITY – (3)BALANCE – (4)DURABILITY – (5)ENDURANCE – (6)SPEED – (7)STRENGTH

2-Way Defender:
O: 77-79-77-82-78-77-82-77-82
D: 79-82-85-82-65-80-82-82
A: 82-82-80-80-82-82-80

Defensive Defenseman:
O: 70-78-72-80-74-75-87-75-87
D: 82-87-87-82-65-82-87-87
A: 82-80-85-82-80-80-85

Offensive Defenseman
O: 84-80-85-83-83-82-82-82-82
D: 75-77-85-80-65-70-84-80
A: 82-82-77-70-80-82-78

Tough Guy Defender:
O: 75-78-72-75-73-75-87-75-87
D: 87-87-82-75-65-87-87-84
A: 80-80-85-87-78-87-87

Delryk

double post, but it's worth it

I found the attribute caps for each build over on the official forums, cleaned up the info a little bit.

It looks like the hard cap is 87 for the highest capped attributes, but keep in mind with individual equipment/slot boosts you can get up to an extra +9 over each cap using a combination of (+5) (+3) (+1) for an individual attribute once you unlock/buy them. So essentially 95 is the ceiling because it's prob not going worth it to waste a spot using that +1 to get to 96.

Dont know how legit this really is cuz tough guy D has 80 speed not 85

Marvie_3

Banned
Decent games tonight but we still need to work on things.

• STOP FORCING PASSES. We turn the puck over so many times because we keep trying these shitty passes that have no chance of getting through. If nothing is open, send it around the boards or if you have time, move a bit until you have an opening. If we're on a rush and there isn't a pass, slow down and try to wait for a gap. If nothing opens up, then either curl out towards the boards and set up or keep skating behind the net. Turning the puck over as much as we do on passes that shouldn't be attempted absolutely kills our offense.
  • Positioning. Part of the reason passes keep getting forced is because nobody is where they need to be. Forwards are always getting bunched up down low and the d-men aren't out on the wall for a pass back. Having all the forwards bunched up doesn't do us any good. Puck side wing needs to be out on the boards to work a cycle with the dman. Also, make sure you're staying where you're supposed to be. A lot of times tonight we ended up with all 3 forwards on the same side of the ice. Hard to get any offense going when we're crowded and it leaves way too much open ice on defense. In the defensive zone, the wings need to make sure they're covering the point. The center should be covering the slot, not chasing the puck all over the zone.
  • Stretch passes. Similar to the passing I mentioned earlier but I wanted to point these out specifically. We're forcing way too many of these when they aren't open. Forwards are getting way too far up the ice and it makes it an easy turnover. If you're not WIDE OPEN, drop back closer to the defensemen to make a pass easier for them. Defensemen, unless you're absolutely sure you can make the pass, don't make the pass. If you've got open ice, skate the puck up. If you're getting pressured, just dump the puck out of the zone in the safest way possible. If you have to turn it over, it's a hell of a lot better to do it way down the ice.
  • Dump-ins These aren't getting used nearly enough. If you can't carry the puck into the zone, don't try to skate through 4 guys and do some stupid fucking deke. The puck is going to get turned over. Much like the forced passes, this is all because of impatience. This isn't 12. You can't skate through 4 guys anymore. Stop trying.
  • Defensemen. Your first priority is defense. You need to pay better attention to where the opposing skaters are. The amount of breakaways/odd man rushes we give up is going to kill us when people get their players built up and start figuring out how to score on the rush. I know you want to jump into the offense and that's fine, but we're getting burned way too often. Also, as I mentioned before, make sure we're not turning the puck over in our zone. The most important thing is getting the puck out of the zone.

We're starting to play better but we still have some really terrible habits from 12 that we need to fix. The sooner the better.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
GGs tonight, I potted a few and we won a bunch, lost a bunch in OT too. Few defensive lapses here and there but everyone's still learning. Good shit from Delryk and Schuey. I finally feel like I'm getting really comfortable with the game and the skating system. Still need to work on some of the passes though. Pumped for tomorrow :D.

On your point of forcing passes Marvie, I don't think it's that bad anymore. We were making passes that got broke up, but a lot of them were open. Biggest thing are the stretch passes, as the Center I'm trying to stay in the neutral zone so the d-men can do short passes to me and then from me to the wingers. Also patience with the puck.

Delryk

Oh. And the record book is bugged.

Says moop has the most blocked shots with 5. Meanwhile i have 17.. it also says we have no game winning goals... Lol!

Smiley90

Just fyi, the NHL companion app (for GM connected & HUT) is now out for the iOS appstore, it's free!

Game has been delivered :)

Lemme know when I can play

we are only holding tryouts for 1 defenseman spot

if ur ok with playing dman and want to tryout drop ur GT and I'll invite you

and just so its clear for anyone trying out... if theres 5 people on that want to play, u are sitting until there is an open spot. I expect we will have a ton of players on today, so we might end up running a GAF vs GAF lobby (it counts games and stats towards ur cards), but we will see

Stat!

Hopefully, my game will be delivered but I've had a shady history of getting games on time previously.

The wait is killing me though.

we are only holding tryouts for 1 defenseman spot

if ur ok with playing dman and want to tryout drop ur GT and I'll invite you

and just so its clear for anyone trying out... if theres 5 people on that want to play, u are sitting until there is an open spot. I expect we will have a ton of players on today, so we might end up running a GAF vs GAF lobby (it counts games and stats towards ur cards), but we will see

You say this like I haven't played D for the past few seasons

BigJonsson25

Revenant

I HAVE ARRIVED

undertaker.gif

Stat!

Hopefully, my game will be delivered but I've had a shady history of getting games on time previously.

Ack, I wasn't home, they delivered but I wasn't home to accept it.

This is like the fifth problem I keep having with Purolator but ebgames.ca only uses Purolator.

EDIT: Rant time. I don't really get Purolator. Their "terminal" is 45 minutes outside of the city I live in which is a city of hundreds of thousand. But they only deliver it during the day in which someone must be home. Which is a problem if you have a life and have to work/school. So if I'm not home tomorrow, they won't ever deliver it, and I will have to go 45 minutes there (and then 45 minutes back) to pick up a package which can fit in my ********* mailslot in the first place.

/rant

RS4-

I'll install the game in a few mins, not going to bother getting the Stanley Cup edition (even though the steel book is nice)

Marvie_3

Banned

I remember ordering a DVD from a 3rd party seller on Amazon once. The delivery guy showed up in an unmarked, rusted out van at like 7pm. I was fairly certain I was going to be stabbed and raped.

Stat!

Ack, I wasn't home, they delivered but I wasn't home to accept it.

This is like the fifth problem I keep having with Purolator but ebgames.ca only uses Purolator.

EDIT: Rant time. I don't really get Purolator. Their "terminal" is 45 minutes outside of the city I live in which is a city of hundreds of thousand. But they only deliver it during the day in which someone must be home. Which is a problem if you have a life and have to work/school. So if I'm not home tomorrow, they won't ever deliver it, and I will have to go 45 minutes there (and then 45 minutes back) to pick up a package which can fit in my ********* mailslot in the first place.

/rant

And as I just realized, I won't be home tomorrow so the earliest I might get it, is Friday. Ack, I'm trying to figure this out.

I forgot why I don't order from Gamestop: Purolator.

Smiley90

And as I just realized, I won't be home tomorrow so the earliest I might get it, is Friday. Ack, I'm trying to figure this out.

I forgot why I don't order from Gamestop: Purolator.

When I get home I fully expect my game delivered by Purolator to be there. Hrng. On the bright side, if it's not there I might actually do some work for university. Like that's an upside.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
They just didn't receive then yet at my store for some reason. Hopefully later today. Surprised they didn't get them a week in advance.

Top Bottom