• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natural Born Penalty Killers (NHL 13 EASHL)

Wouldn't mind trying out for this if there's still room:

Name: rinse22 on XBL
NUMBER: 2
Position: RW / RD
Misc: I'm a Leaf fan, have mercy on my soul

make sure you read the OP carefully

you will need to be active and have a good amount of skill or else you are wasting your time and might as well head back over to Sox's club

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If you enjoy losing, and having sox on your ass then that is definitely the club for you.

The more I look at the jerseys, the more I dig the North Stars logo. I figured you guys would be against all real team logos, but it works with the team name, and gaf association.

If you enjoy losing, and having sox on your ass then that is definitely the club for you.

The more I look at the jerseys, the more I dig the North Stars logo. I figured you guys would be against all real team logos, but it works with the team name, and gaf association.

we used North Stars in NHL11 so it has history

Red_Man

Pretty amazing how shitty the amount and type of logos they have. They seriously can't get one of their interns to come up with 30 more?

Red_Man

2 broke on me. Last one was at Christmas, and all I play is NHL & Halo basically, I couldn't wait that long for '13. Shameful I know.

Cake Boss

Banned
Yeah mine got scratched as hell and basically the center of the disc was cracked, I got a friend's copy to install on the HDD and voila it worked.

since there's a lull in the discussion/info and some people didn't fully "get" the stories behind the player cards I'll enlighten some of you on my work and point out some of the non-obvious stuff

FORWARDS
  • Marv - pretty self explanatory. He uses Scott Baio as his player name and one of the pictures he wanted me to use had Baio sitting down, so I figured, why not put him in the penalty box? :)

• Legit - the banner tells the whole story here. Marv found the pic and I just put a Habs logo on the chest. Pasty looking Canadian kid scarfing down poutine pretty sums up Leg-git in a nutshell.

• Milly - got the 3 essential parts of Milly's psyche here. A goat, the KKK (whose hands are expertly placed) and the background is some country-type woods & cabin like the shithole he actually lives in, out in the boondocks of Tennessee.

• Rev - there were a bunch of different ways I could have went here. Decided to go with Zap Rowsdower Real Canadian Hero and shopped the shovel into his hands instead of the shotgun to have him digging ditches since that's what Rev always threatened people about last year.

• Noz - had to go with a pirate for all the times Noz types "aargh" or "blaargh" in the lobby chat. Noz is a connoisseur of Neon Green jerseys so I doctored up the pirate in that color. Finally I placed that over top of an image that comes up when you google search for "largest video collection in the world" since he seemingly bought every single game released for 360 in the past couple years :)

• Snakes - the latest addition. Shopped Vince Lombardi's head (since Snakes has been playing the role of motivating coach lately) onto Jake the Snakes body with some blue lasers going in the background. Quick, easy and to the point.

• Moop - this one is prob my favorite. V-Neck shirt... check. Mention of 7-hole... check. Mention "Bro"... check. But the 2 subtle things I did were to shop the goalie glove on the correct hand to go with the arrow, and even more sneakily I dropped a Microsoft Excel sheet in as the background after Moop's admission that he copies his stats into spreadsheets after games.

• Blinding - the story of this one was already told. Basically we were in the middle of a game near the beginning of last season and Blinding out of nowhere said "sorry guys I gotta bail, my horse just escaped and I gotta go chase it down" or some shit like that, which was probably the most strange and random thing that happened all of last year. When Blind isn't playing NHL he's usually wasting hours away in Halo and he's told us in the past that he is a tournament player, hence Master Chief chasing a horse. Took my forever to find the right photos for Chief and the horse.

• Aces - For Aces I went with a pic of Jan Hrdina who was his player name last year and just shopped 4 aces into his hand instead of a medal he was holding for his club (HV71) winning the Swedish Elite league in 2008.

DEFENSEMEN
  • Me - just went with the great gangbanger image that Marv or Legit posted in the middle of last year in the Slot Cloggers thread, it's kinda scary that there is a bit of a resemblance there, sans the gold and tats :)

• Swim - found a nice pic of Boulton getting punched in the face when he played for Swim's old hometown team the Thrashers. I'm sure this is the inspiration for Swim "throwing" all those fights last year. Shopped the mime face on there since he never uses voice chat.

• RS4 - for those that don't remember, RS4's gamertag is DokterHouse, which I'm pretty sure means he is/was a fan of the TV series. Dok plays mostly Capcom fighting games when he wasn't joining us for NHL the last couple years. Noticed him playing 3rd Strike a lot this past summer so I shopped a pic House onto an iconic Street Fighter 3 stage. I spent a decent amount of time recreating the train in the background with multiple hi res screenshots from the HD 360 version after I couldn't fully get House shopped over top of Ryu. Also got the name and logo for House up in the energy bar, manipulating the font to match up pretty close to the game's font. I spent probably the most time out of all the cards on this.

• Schuey - Got the famous Subban trollface pic since Schuey is a fan of his and shopped it over top of Michael Schumaker (AKA Schuey) posing in his F1 racecar. Was hoping Schuey would recognize that it was Schumaker's car with my inclusion of his signature red helmet on the right side.

• Delryk - We don't know much about Milly's latest lackey to find GAF except he likes the Leafs and Kessel so I just reused the great pic we had in last year's OP. Can't ever go wrong with that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
since there's a lull in the discussion/info and some people didn't fully "get" the stories behind the player cards I'll enlighten some of you on my work and point out some of the non-obvious stuff

• Schuey - Got the famous Subban trollface pic since Schuey is a fan of his and shopped it over top of Michael Schumaker (AKA Schuey) posing in his F1 racecar. Was hoping Schuey would recognize that it was Schumaker's car with my inclusion of his signature red helmet on the right side.

I definitely recognized the Schumacher car and helmet, great touch!

Stat!

Nice job Vis/Marv on everything. I think I'm going change my name this year. I figured obscure Czech player. Kinda peeved that Monster was blocked (why again?). But still deciding? Any ideas for obscure hockey player names?

BTW, I don't mind going defense if we have 4 forwards and not enough defense online. I used to play D for all of NHL 11 and my game is usually hardcore defense when 1 on 1 or against the AI.

I do love the skating and shooting this year the more I play it. I love the random goals off of random shots. I had two today that were off the board wide and came back around and potted it in.

Also, what build is everyone going as this year? Anyone have anything in mind?

I was thinking of being a speedster due to the skating engine but I was also thinking power forward who is hard to push off the puck. I can't have multiple builds on one position, right?

Red_Man

Gonna model my center after the Malkin / RNH builds. I played really well with both of them, both really smooth skaters.

Marvie_3

Banned
Nice job Vis/Marv on everything. I think I'm going change my name this year. I figured obscure Czech player. Kinda peeved that Monster was blocked (why again?). But still deciding? Any ideas for obscure hockey player names?
Hakan Loob

Grinder/Power Forward

I was thinking of being a speedster due to the skating engine but I was also thinking power forward who is hard to push off the puck. I can't have multiple builds on one position, right?
Nope.

BTW, I don't mind going defense if we have 4 forwards and not enough defense online. I used to play D for all of NHL 11 and my game is usually hardcore defense when 1 on 1 or against the AI.

I do love the skating and shooting this year the more I play it. I love the random goals off of random shots. I had two today that were off the board wide and came back around and potted it in.

it's always good to have versatile players, generally D-man spots have been open more than forwards the past couple years during most sessions. Welcome to the blueline, can't wait to yell at you all game long if we get paired together :)

as far as builds, I think I'm gonna go with 2-Way D-Man to start off for my defensemen. Mainly choosing that over Defensive D-Man because the poke check seems pretty effective with everyone in the demo already regardless of their stats and more importantly to make sure my passing stats are at least decent.

For my Center build it's gonna come down to Grinder or Power Forward this year. On the EA forums they said Grinder will have the highest caps for faceoffs and speed, which is intriguing. But I'm strictly gonna play as a Tomas Holmstrom type player and just park my big ass in front of the goalie all year long and setup screens and deflections (which work waaaay better in 13 Demo) when I play Center, so Power Forward with crazy strength might be the way to go for me.

moop1167

He's also the last person to join the club so the Kessel pic works that way too.

kessel-o.gif

Red_Man

I might need some help in allocating my skill points.
Pretty much everyone will at first. It's going to take a couple weeks of playing to identify which skill points are actually useful and such. I'll try power forward for my wing, and go for a more playmaker / passing center build and see what I'm more comfortable with. As of right now, play maker builds are more my style.

Milly79

Milly - got the 3 essential parts of Milly's psyche here. A goat, the KKK (whose hands are expertly placed) and the background is some country-type woods & cabin like the shithole he actually lives in, out in the boondocks of Tennessee.

So many lies in this post.

Revenant

[*]Rev - there were a bunch of different ways I could have went here. Decided to go with Zap Rowsdower Real Canadian Hero and shopped the shovel into his hands instead of the shotgun to have him digging ditches since that's what Rev always threatened people about last year.

tumblr_m8jnvliqtz1r7qsdw.gif

Blinding

Blinding - the story of this one was already told. Basically we were in the middle of a game near the beginning of last season and Blinding out of nowhere said "sorry guys I gotta bail, my horse just escaped and I gotta go chase it down" or some shit like that, which was probably the most strange and random thing that happened all of last year. When Blind isn't playing NHL he's usually wasting hours away in Halo and he's told us in the past that he is a tournament player, hence Master Chief chasing a horse. Took my forever to find the right photos for Chief and the horse.

The unfortunate thing is that last Thanksgiving night, there was a mountain lion or something that decided to attack our oldest horse (27 years old,) which of course forced them to run straight through the wooden fence we had just put up and into the busy road right out front, where she unfortunately got hit by a car and didn't survive. Our other horse has been pretty much depressed since.

It's okay though, I don't mind the pic because it's all in good fun and I have no doubt it was a "what the fuck?" moment for those of you in that game.

With a little bit of luck I should be able to pick up my copy on release night, depends on how much money we get for overtime.

Top Bottom