• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Presents: Grounded II - The Making of The Last of Us: Part II (Trailer)

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I see at least one. Maybe it went off by mistake lol

If people want to get technical there was actually 7 photo in different locations and a additional 4 variations of the same image.
Photos was taken by Trae Patton, Amy Sussman, Gilbert Flores, Kevin Winter

I'm sure Neil doesn't feel he got ignored, you can't expect a number like Jennifer Lawrence's 1,499 that was taken for someone like Neil.

Neff

The Lets Kill Joel bit is pissing me off. Very Game Of Thrones like. Do it for the sake of shock value.

6O2pSy.jpg

Not everyone is a 20 something with no attachments that can work 12+ shifts 6 days a week or so for many months with a chance to recover mental health maybe.

As mentioned, crunch exists in every industry. Its not even good for 20yr olds but you sign up for it. Theres also overtime pay. But if you think the whole trillion dollar company is going to give a shit about your personal life and slow down their progress , feel free to quit or get fired.

That is why managers and CEOs exist to keep pushing till the deadline is met. Trust me, nobody cares that you have 4 kids at home, you signed the contract. Its funny how all does ppl complain about crunch yet they still stay employed in the same company. Hmmm wonder why /s

Pedro Motta

The Lets Kill Joel bit is pissing me off. Very Game Of Thrones like. Do it for the sake of shock value.

This is why i am not a big fan of behind the scenes docs. Some things are just better left unsaid. I dont want to see people debating the thought process behind creative choices especially controversial ones like neutering Joel and Jon Snow.

work it vh1 GIF by America's Next Top Model

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Not everyone is a 20 something with no attachments that can work 12+ shifts 6 days a week or so for many months with a chance to recover mental health maybe.

Noone has a gun to their head! Most of the time its a cultural thing, some workplaces are just more demanding and high-pressure than others. And that's perfectly fine and normal.

The entire premise of the argument rests on the fallacy that people working in the industry have no agency, that they are unable to say "no". Which is obviously utter bollocks.

Obviously everyone wants to get their work done on time, working at a comfortable pace, but if that isn't possible something's got to give. Its really that simple, because its a competitive industry where output and end-product are the only things that matter.

That's not going to change. Ever.

Because there will always be individuals and organizations that will push themselves to the limit in order to achieve the best results. Bragging about how "ethical" your process was compared to theirs isn't going carry much weight with the public when their product is superior!

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Loved both games equally and i believe they are both masterpieces and ahead of their time.
Story of the second game is much more mature and presents the reality of hate and revenge as it should. Players need to take a few steps back from their favorite characters and consider Abbys' point of view too. I enjoyed switching between them and fighting each other and in the end it really touched me and it felt like a meaningful experience.
Half of Abby's POV is boilerplate revenge stuff with no nuance, and the other half of it is just to serve as a lens into Lev's arc of super edgy genderqueer YA dystopia.

sam winchester yawn GIF

Will they ever make a new game or just remasters and live action/documentary content?

I fucking loved the last of us but holy shit im getting tired of hearing about it every goddamn week.
After this remaster comes out, I don't want to hear about TLOU2 or any old game from ND at all. They must announce a new title this year.

Fabieter

Every single studio/industry has crunch. Itd called rushing to meet the deadline. I dont think any game was complete with days to spare because everythign was perfectly timed. Even original DOOM they werent done with the game until hours before it was announced it was going to be uploaded online. They slept in their offices to get this done except nobody was bitching about it, they were passionate about their project. Now people are entitled wimps.

You dont think Apple has crunch every year to deliver a new phone? Google to complete and test the newest app? Airlines rushing after a heavy setback/ delay.

Yea I know people who working in a Hospital having like 50 to 60h weeks all year and no one gives a fuck. Dont say gaming devs dont deserve better work life balance but fuck crunch is indeed a bit hypocrit.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
i just listen to sacred symbols + talking about the insomniac leak where there is a section talking about TLoUP2 sales

Bruh, I can not believe how right i was about it. 😍

Yea I know people who working in a Hospital having like 50 to 60h weeks all year and no one gives a fuck. Dont say gaming devs dont deserve better work life balance but fuck crunch is indeed a bit hypocrit.

If someone in a hospital can deal with crunch their WHOLE CAREER, then game devs can suck it up for a few months. Also why dont they quit? Oh yeah I forgot....good salary and working for a big name company. If you aint willing to walk away it means the crunch aint that bad.

Embearded

Half of Abby's POV is boilerplate revenge stuff with no nuance, and the other half of it is just to serve as a lens into Lev's arc of super edgy genderqueer YA dystopia.
How is Ellie's POV any different?
This is the theme of the game, revenge and the consequences.
As for Lev, the character is present very well imo. They religius background and the relationship with their mother was interesting.

Every single studio/industry has crunch. Itd called rushing to meet the deadline. I dont think any game was complete with days to spare because everythign was perfectly timed. Even original DOOM they werent done with the game until hours before it was announced it was going to be uploaded online. They slept in their offices to get this done except nobody was bitching about it, they were passionate about their project. Now people are entitled wimps.

You dont think Apple has crunch every year to deliver a new phone? Google to complete and test the newest app? Airlines rushing after a heavy setback/ delay.
I agree everyone should crunch. Especially Truck drivers, Pilots and Brain Surgeon's. The wimps should work 20 hours and there will be Zero consequences.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The leaks really had a huge impact.
Some leaks were false and other got mixed up.
Not long after, people already were meming on the game and had their minds made up without ever seeing the game.

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
How is Ellie's POV any different?
I didn't say it was.

As for Lev, the character is present very well imo. They religius background and the relationship with their mother was interesting.
The religious background barely factored into the story and wasn't fully fleshed out or consistent. Lev's mother literally doesn't show up until she's dead.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not for Abby, in fact if Ellie didn’t comeback seeking revenge, Abby would have tied up and starving to death.

I'm still not sure why Ellie saved her and why did she wanted for Abby to fight back? did she wanted revenge or just pissed off that she lost to her in the last fight and wanted rematch?

Abby got her revenge on Joel and got saved by Ellie because she was seeking revenge, meanwhile Ellie lost Joel and lost her finger because she decided that Abby needs to fight back.

Embearded

Not for Abby, in fact if Ellie didn’t comeback seeking revenge, Abby would have tied up and starving to death.

I'm still not sure why Ellie saved her and why did she wanted for Abby to fight back? did she wanted revenge or just pissed off that she lost to her in the last fight and wanted rematch?

Abby got her revenge on Joel and got saved by Ellie because she was seeking revenge, meanwhile Ellie lost Joel and lost her finger because she decided that Abby needs to fight back.

Abby lost her entire crew and friends because of her actions.
If she had decided they already had enough and didn't chase Joel, they would still be all together.

Skifi28

Haven't been there myself, but I imagine when you're out for revenge you want to deliver it yourself. Not find the other person in a pathetic state ready to die on their own. The emptiness comes later.

I
Get your mind out of the gutter man, I wasnt even thinking about that scene :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Also hoping for some footage and talk with Patrick Fugit (Owen). Havent seen this guy around since forever ago.
I wasn't thinking of that initially and then when the other person said Laura Bailey I was like, "You know? They mocapped everything in this game sooo..." hahaha

And then I remembered the footage of the mocapped "sex" scene in Uncharted 2 and how that was one of the first times Naughty Dog tried animating actual kissing.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I

I wasn't thinking of that initially and then when the other person said Laura Bailey I was like, "You know? They mocapped everything in this game sooo..." hahaha

And then I remembered the footage of the mocapped "sex" scene in Uncharted 2 and how that was one of the first times Naughty Dog tried animating actual kissing.

There was fucking in Uncharted 2? :messenger_dizzy:

Edit: Oh wait, do you mean the scene where Chloe straddles Drake on the bed?

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

fingers :messenger_pensive:

Vick

Gold Member
The hate has worn off after four years. Remaster hit, replayed the whole game in Grounded Permadeath Per Act, watched/played/listened to every bonus content.. I am fine with the game.

I'm just never going to find it anywhere near as brilliant and perfectly constructed and impactful as the first one. Everything just sterilely happens and goes by unceremoniously in Part II, emotions evoked aren't as present but especially not the result of masterfully crafted bits and underlying themes earning their impact one microscopic step at the time while we feel both the characters and with the characters. Only strong emotion is that hate, result of losing things only earned in the first one.

It's mess, but as Druckmann said in the commentary, it's messy by design. I'd just take brilliance over messiness.

Off watching the thing now.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Neil couldnt get his mind off of TLOU 2 the entire time developing UC4 lol

They were originally gonna let the player play as Abby and actually kill joel, right at the beginning, damn lol

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
this shit is crazy lol. the game was originally an open world game inspired by BLOODBORNE, all melee combat, no guns, in the first 4-6 months of development :messenger_hushed:

thank fuck they swayed away from that

Last edited:
Top Bottom