• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Presents: Grounded II - The Making of The Last of Us: Part II (Trailer)

Was always funny to me the people who claimed Neil and or Bruce pushed Amy Hennig out.

That theory always made zero sense as it forced them to have to take over Uncharted 4 when they had already started Part 2.

So sad to see Neil and the rest of the team get so much hate from some trolls on the net after literally making the greatest game of all time.

I feel insane reading things like this.

I'm not even saying the game is bad, it isn't. Just... greatest game of all time?

Can you for once in your life play something that isn't a Triple A oscar bait game, and play games not made in the West as well?

Jesus...

Oh, by the way, if you don’t like something, you are troll. I love that infantile mentality.

Pedro Motta

Cringe Reaction GIF

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I see now why the combat is so fucking godly, and the best in gaming.

The game was literally going to be melee combat only at first, they probably had way more move sets/animations for combat, and then dialed that back when they added guns again.

I see now why the combat is so fucking godly, and the best in gaming.

The game was literally going to be melee combat only at first, they probably had way more move sets/animations for combat, and then dialed that back when they added guns again.

What's funny is they absolutely nailed the gunplay as well.

I assume their original thought process for melee only is the fact ammunition and stuff would become hard to come by?

Im glad they still included gunplay in the end

I'm not even saying the game is bad, it isn't. Just... greatest game of all time?

Can you for once in your life play something that isn't a Triple A oscar bait game, and play games not made in the West as well?

Jesus...

Oh, by the way, if you don’t like something, you are troll. I love that infantile mentality.
It's literally his opinion...and he's not the only one thinking that. Your favorite videogame doesn't have to be some obscure indie small scale production made in Japan.

You sound like one of those guys that only listens to indie music and anything that makes it to the top 100 is hot garbage.

TLOU2 as a third person shooter and in terms of gameplay is an incredible experience and to me to this day it's still unmatched. The way they balanced realism without compromising animations was nothing short of phenomenal. Going from stealth to all guns blazing never felt so good in a game as well.

Jesus...

It's literally personal opinion. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

What's your favourite game of all time? I'm sure we might scoff at that one.

TLOU Part 2 and Franchise is my GOAT in gaming.

Interstellar is my GOAT in movies.

Lots of people would think the same and lots of people would think differently. That's ok.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
That whole lengthy Halley Gross meltdown was extremely hard to watch. Woman is completely unhinged.

WOW at that bloody meat eating test though.

And kudos to the what I loved the most about this studio since the Uncharted days:

There's no such thing as, like "Oh you know, it's not as good as this other game's one, but like.. it's fine." No. It's fucking Naughty Dog, we have to have the best version of the thing no matter what ever that is.

Last edited:

Pelta88

I completely forgot that that trailer was so good other devs started calling it fake. Not realizing that the actual game would surpass that early build in every way possible.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Jesus...

I completely agree. In a world where Resident Evil 4, Symphony of the Night, Super Mario World etc exist, calling THIS the greatest of all time is laughable! It’s not even the best game of the 2 Last of Us games made!!!

saintjules

Gold Member
You can see so much work poured into this and then you have people walking along saying trash.

People don't know what Art is sometimes.

ChorizoPicozo ChorizoPicozo dont worry I see you laughing. As someone who produces music, nothing worse when people come around and say something negative when they don't know the time and effort you put into something.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Awesome doc truly, as usial I loved everything about prototyping, blockouts, early drafts and developing systems, how the horse became a problem in their open world combat... That part when he talks about intricacies of prone, and the philosophy of when they're making a mechanic - it's Naughty Dog so has to be a best in the business take on it.

saintjules

Gold Member
1:06:34 of the doc it was mentioned by one of the devs that the E3 2018 demo build was showcasing their next-gen animation system.

Could it be that we're seeing what can be possible on the PS5 or were they talking in the past tense for the PS4?

Last edited:

mortal

Banned
LOL i saw this, i guess they do read what we say.
It's not too surprising considering there are over 9500 guests online as of this post. Although a good chunk of that could likely be bots, some industry folks probably still lurk from time to time.

Would you look at that, both neogaf and the purple forum made a cameo appearance in this documentary! :messenger_grinning_sweat:
image.png

image.png
Well, Druckmann is a member after all. Wouldn't waste an opportunity to skim some user research and feedback now and then.

1:06:34 of the doc it was mentioned by one of the devs that the E3 2018 demo build was showcasing their next-gen animation system.

Could it be that we're seeing what can be possible on the PS5 or were they talking in the past tense for the PS4?

Even though I didn't like the way they went with in TLOU2, I seriously can't understand what drove some to threaten their lives over it.

Last edited:

qbxwhi

I completely forgot that that trailer was good other devs started calling it fake. Not realizing that the actual game would surpass that early build in every way possible.
?
you can see when they show the e3 demo, and then the actual game, that the actual game looks way downgraded in graphics and animation fluidity.
and they pretty much confirm that the demo is fake with it not actually being a game with systems in place, and that its mostly a target tech demo for how they are hoping the actual game will be.
the final product is close , but it doesnt look as good as the demo.

Perrott

Jesus...

Why are you trying to ridiculize that user? You really find it that unbelievable that they'd consider one of the finest action/adventure games ever produced the best game of all time?

Maybe you should try not to be a dick about it and disregard others opinions with stupid crap such as the "AAA Oscar-bait game", because I'm very sure that you wouldn't want to be laughed at for simply stating your favorite game of all time, which I'm sure would arguably be a solid candidate - just as Part II is - for such title from an objective point of view.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Just finished this, what an excellent documentary into an incredibly talented studio making one of the best games of a generation, loved it. Really hits home how some gamers are just a bunch of entitled cunts thinking they know better than the creators who pour their heart and souls into these games only for twats to go all personal over hurt fweeelings

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
You can see so much work poured into this and then you have people walking along saying trash.

People don't know what Art is sometimes.

ChorizoPicozo ChorizoPicozo dont worry I see you laughing. As someone who produces music, nothing worse when people come around and say something negative when they don't know the time and effort you put into something.
you dont know why i laughed.

Xtib81

Very interesting documentary, really enjoyed it.
However, they don't really address the 2018 controversy. The final game has been downgraded, it's undeniable.

Bartski

Gold Member
However, they don't really address the 2018 controversy. The final game has been downgraded, it's undeniable.
I was confused as to why some of those comments from 2018 made it into the cut, comes across like digging their own hole deeper... That might have been the target they were 100% confident to hit back then, but that demo is full of detail largely missing from the final game and I'm not talking about lighting quality

yurinka

I think it's a very good documentary, shows very well most of the hard work behind making a AAA game, with the exception of the most technical part of the programming area, and the budgets part negotiating with the producers and HQ, but I think that like the first one it does a great job to explaining gamedev to those who have no idea about it.

As a dev who worked in a big AAA company, indie games or mobile games and have many friends elsewhere, I think it's very representative of many other studios. I think that to have a proper production team helping them to reach milestones on time (most of the times) while also learning to say no and getting rid of E3 demos will help them to have a more healthy life and careers, it's what happened to many studios who did it before.

To see Halley Gross freaking out because some woke gaming press article attacking them saying dumb stuff like "it's impossible that they could have women working there" reminds me of a case where a very talented indie team I know who are 3 people, a threesome (like a couple but with 3 people) who are a trans woman, a cis man and a cis woman. In one of their (very good) games featured a -pretty great- trans character, and as I remember it was Kotaku who attacked them calling them transphobic! xDDD Obviously they got super pissed off.

Regarding the tsunami of players getting pissed off for what and how they did to Joel (+ the characters they wanted to use to replace Joel and Ellie), I can't believe they didn't see it coming. Even if many people realized it in the worst way: via a leak of an unfinished build showing it out of context.

Let's hope they learn from it that devs must be more respectful with beloved iconic characters like Nathan Drake, Joel and Ellie, Kratos, Mario, Sonic or Lara Croft to name just a few of them. They are the center of their IPs, you can't just kill/retire them, specially to be replaced by someone else who better fits your political views. It won't work, millions players will hate it. You have to be respectful with what and who players love.

I say that after having to handle many years ago an online event that was the funeral of our game (they even made a fucking coffin) with over 50000 attending players. The reason was they didn't like some changes we made in one of our live service games, not the closure of the game (which continued alive).

Very interesting documentary, really enjoyed it.
I was confused as to why some of those comments from 2018 made it into the cut, comes across like digging their own hole deeper... That might have been the target they were 100% confident to hit back then, but that demo is full of detail largely missing from the final game and I'm not talking about lighting quality

Even if they didn't specifically mentioned it, they shown the reason: games aren't "downgraded". The reason is that when games are shown years before release, most of the game still has to be done, so they make a specific portion of the game that will be shown in that demo or trailer, with the quality that they think and hope the game will have years in the future once it gets shipped.

But they aren't fortune tellers and can't predict the future. To make games is an iterative process where things are constantly evolving and being changed. Many things look good in some place but when used elsewhere cause bugs and other issues, so need to be changed or even removed.

Same goes when in the later portions of development games need to be fit in real consoles (without the extra memory or horsepower available in the development PCs they use to make the game) and achieve certain steady fps: some things must be toned down or cut because there or when used in other areas cause issues.

On top of that, some things causing bugs or issues could have been fixed with more time, but devs often end needing way more time than the one they desire (as seen in the documentary) to do all they wanted, and at some point they have to cut stuff to be on time because can't afford more delays. So they cut less prioritary stuff.

Players like you don't know or understand these things, and even if they explain it very well there will be always people with conspiracy theories telling devs to it to lie to the players due to marketing reasons. And no, it isn't the case. They simply had to make a trailer or demo and they did it how they thought the game was going to be years in the future but without having the tools to know how it would look like in the future.

So this is one of the reasons of why it's better for devs to wait until a year or so (or even less) before release to show the game: by doing it the game is almost done and looks pretty much like the game will look, or at least certain cool parts they can use for the trailer or gameplay demos. In the last year they are still finishing stuff, but are mostly fixing bugs, tweaking, polishing and optimizing stuff.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Minor gripe: how tf does the in game version not have any playback controls? Or am I stupid? I started watching on my phone then thought meh let’s go sit on the couch and watch on the TV, but I couldn’t figure out how to skip ahead to where I was. So I just ended up going to the YouTube version again.

Skifi28

It's always been hard to understand the hate Neil has been getting, especially after having watched this. Not liking the game is one thing, but it really doesn't seem that all decisions were made to fullfil some sort of political agenda. He just comes off as an ambitious creative person.

/shurg

Top Bottom