• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Presents: Grounded II - The Making of The Last of Us: Part II (Trailer)

I feel insane reading things like this.

I'm not even saying the game is bad, it isn't. Just... greatest game of all time?

Can you for once in your life play something that isn't a Triple A oscar bait game, and play games not made in the West as well?

Jesus...

Oh, by the way, if you don’t like something, you are troll. I love that infantile mentality.
All things considered, this IS the best game ever created. Gameplay, graphics, sound, animation, story, controls, details. I’ve never seen so much attention to detail. The immersion level here is unmatched. The AAAA production makes this game unmatched by anything in history. Seeing Abbys arm muscles flex when shooting guns or Dina squint her eyes from Ellies light or idle animations and eye rendering to create unmatched immersion. Rain rendering and CGI like character models in cutscenes…this game is the best game ever made.

Aces High

It's an amazing technical achievement for sure.

But it's so much worse than Part One (which is the true GOAT).

Even if we ignore the stupid writing and the stupid decision to infuse it with identity politics:

The pacing is just not good.

The game is way too long and bloated. It's really tiring.

Part Two feels like when you have a movie and the producer says it needs to be shorter, but the director refuses to shorten it because of *random high-brow nonsense that makes people feel more intelligent*.

Business idea:

Make your next game shorter (15 hours is plenty for a linear story game) and release The Druckman Cut™ 2 years later where you can have all your stupid bloat and fans can double dip if they want more.

Venuspower

The game is way too long and bloated. It's really tiring.

Personally, I have to clearly disagree with this theory. For what Part II is, the length is just right. The feeling of time alone that is created by the structure of the game is simply magnificent. Every time I am in Seattle Day 2 - 3 with Ellie and then think back to the earlier set pieces, I always have this feeling that the events in Jackson happened a long time ago. Even though I played it "ingame" maybe only 3 - 5 hours ago. Nevertheless, the anger towards the Salt Lake crew and the desire for "justice" is unbroken.

It becomes particularly fascinating as soon as we are playing as Abby. From Abby's Seattle Day 2 at the latest, the game simply feels like a completely different game to me. On the other hand, this is also due to the different feel of the game with Abby, because the controls simply feel different. But you're also immersed in a completely different storyline and the feeling that was still present with Ellie the whole time is gone. Every time Ia m suddenly standing in front of the theater with Abby and Lev, everything suddenly seems surreal. It iss as if I'm standing in a different game again. You are simply brought back down to earth.

It would even be interesting to see how this whole sense of time would have changed if they had followed the plan with Seattle Day 1 - 5 and not just three days. For me, however, it is clear that the implementation worked perfectly as it is now and that speeding up/shortening the processes would not convey this whole feeling as it does now.

Many people are now saying that the Santa Barbara part in particular was unnecessary. But here too, I think it rounds off the atmosphere. At some point in Seattle, the monotony and the constant rain got on my nerves. Santa Barbara provided a breath of fresh air at such a late point in the game. That is why I think it's good that we did not finish the game in Seattle.

Fun side note: My first two playthroughs still took 22 - 25 hours. Since then, all my runs have been consistently between 14 - 17 hours. And this despite the fact that I always try to loot as much as possible/get as much artifacts as possible. I do not skip any cutscenes either. In other words: I am not even rushing through the game.

Last edited:

SegaManAU

Gold Member
Amazing game, one of my favourites.

A game, where the story was so good I kept thinking about it for days after finishing it. No other game has stuck with me like that. My only fault of the game is that I felt it was a tad too long.

Great doco. Was a really good watch. It's a shame that people are so shit in general. Sending death threats and saying all that nasty shit is not on.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
All things considered, this IS the best game ever created. Gameplay, graphics, sound, animation, story, controls, details. I’ve never seen so much attention to detail. The immersion level here is unmatched. The AAAA production makes this game unmatched by anything in history. Seeing Abbys arm muscles flex when shooting guns or Dina squint her eyes from Ellies light or idle animations and eye rendering to create unmatched immersion. Rain rendering and CGI like character models in cutscenes…this game is the best game ever made.

I'm glad its that highly rated due to those things for you. For millions of others, and those who love gameplay (which last of us 2 does have good gameplay) that's not the be all and end all.

Last of us one is a more simpler game than lou2 but it's the better game imo. Sometimes stripping things back can mean more.

Lou 1 is better paced, has a better story, better connection between characters. Miles better characters with less. It's just better.

But lou2 is a good game where it's budget shines through. It's not better than super metroid or half life...or we'll there's lots of games but that's personal opinion.

Lou 1 is one of my favourite games of all time. It's amazing. Lou2 is good, but has issues with length, pacing, it's treatment of characters. Plot...yeah it has great graphics but doesn't respect the world or its characters as well as last of us 1 and I'd argue that the simpler combat in one makes for a better game in that release. Plus number one has an awesome online mode.

Valedix

Finally got around to watching it, hearing the amount of hate and death threats all the voice actors, cast and developers got was truly upsetting. I'm glad they were able to talk openly about work crunch and fixing it, a really great documentary wish there were more of these.

Top Bottom