• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2015- 16 Regular Season IOTI - NBA GAF Is Pretty Dead Considering This Fact

Cornbread78

They're fine, the better time by far for them to get guys is near the draft, and their picks are only going to get more valuable around that time. Their players are also getting more valuable as time goes on, especially those that are locked up on deals that look like absolute bargains, and they have a ton of flexibility to build through FA, trades, or the draft as they see fit.
They're well ahead of schedule. No reason to force or overpay for a deal that isn't there.
That being said, there's still time to Horford to come.

Not worth trading for most of these soon to be free agents. None of them make the Celtics win a series in the playoffs. They might win a game or two more, but that's about it. Celtics much like many other teams in the league are simply fucked if they can't draft a superstar.

This is the big problem right here. When is the last time a FA worth anything signed in Boston? They have a better chance at getting a bona-fide NBA player through trades, rather than the what is universally known as a weak draft class this year. Like I said, I guess it's all up to draft night now, since there is only 2 mins left.... Nobody is going to beat GS/SA or CLE anyhow.

* Sounds like Boston is talking to the Nets:
Brooks Lopez going to Boston for their first round pick next year back from Boston and D. Lee Contract. or something... Weird that they are talking about that again.

We don't need another soft player.....

Most interesting thing the Cavs have two open roster spots. Could a Joe Johnson buyout be coming?[/QUOTE

J. Johnson, D. Lee, R. Hibbert, etc; some options there..

Bread

Banned
This is the big problem right here. When is the last time a FA worth anything signed in Boston?
When's the last time they had a promising young team and cap space? Shit, when's the last time they had cap space?

Players will come when the team is good enough.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Surprise, surprise. GarPax are not making a trade. Gasol will leave for nothing, then they will overpay to extend Noah and Hinrich. What a joke of an organization.

When's the last time they had a promising young team and cap space? Shit, when's the last time they had cap space?

Bigger issue is what FA is open that can actually move the needle.

This is the big problem right here. When is the last time a FA worth anything signed in Boston? They have a better chance at getting a bona-fide NBA player through trades, rather than the what is universally known as a weak draft class this year. Like I said, I guess it's all up to draft night now, since there is only 2 mins left.... Nobody is going to beat GS/SA or CLE anyhow.

* Sounds like Boston is talking to the Nets:
Brooks Lopez going to Boston for their first round pick next year back from Boston and D. Lee Contract. or something... Weird that they are talking about that again.

We don't need another soft player.....

We're not getting Lopez. But still, I'm glad Ainge didn't overpay for some rental or mid-tier player. I know the Celtics don't often get free agents but I'd rather take the chance that someone will want to take up the huge amount of cap space they'll have to play along with a pretty good core.

John Schuhmann ‏@johnschuhmann 35m35 minutes ago
In 3 days, the Heat went from paying > $25 million in luxury tax to getting paid by the remaining tax-paying teams (CLE, LAC, etc.)

The Don works in mysterious ways

ViciousDS

Banned
It's past 3 p.m. ET, and while deals can still trickle out, Pau Gasol's departure from the Chicago Bulls won't be among them, per ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

If you listen real hard, you can hear Sacramento Kings fans letting out an immense sigh of relief, followed by gasps triggered by the crushing realization that, after all this, they are still Sacramento Kings fans.

fuck the bulls organization......pure trash

"Kirk Hinrich has been traded to Hawks for a second round pick sources say" - @WindhorstESPN

Fireworks!

fireworks1.jpg

Boom

Zach Lowe ‏@ZachLowe_NBA 4m4 minutes ago
Sources: Warriors front office just woke up from a nap after drinking too many mimosas over brunch.

Lmao

Cornbread78

We're not getting Lopez. But still, I'm glad Ainge didn't overpay for some rental or mid-tier player. I know the Celtics don't often get free agents but I'd rather take the chance that someone will want to take up the huge amount of cap space they'll have to play along with a pretty good core.

This is true, but they are still lacking a #1 player on the roster and a go-to scorer, The NBA is now a league of "Dynamic Duo's" and "Big Three's" The Celts are a shit-ton of fun to watch as a group of 5, but how are they going to get good enough with what they have now or mid-level players?

I do trust Danny, I mean, who couldn't after he robbed Brooklyn of a future. However, they still they have a long way to go before they can actually challenge for championship again...

What the fuck you gonna do with all those picks Ainge

This is the problem with 3 #1's in a very weak draft......

Bread

Banned
This is a bad time to sell all the picks for players though. The Warriors are at their peak and Lebron is looking like he's at the end of his prime. See what you can do with this squad and evaluate them after the season ends.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
For the Boston fans - assuming the Brooklyn pick is #5 (per current records), who do you want to sign in FA (Durant, LeBron, and Drummond are all out)?

This is true, but they are still lacking a #1 player on the roster and a go-to scorer, The NBA is now a league of "Dynamic Duo's" and "Big Three's" The Celts are a shit-ton of fun to watch as a group of 5, but how are they going to get good enough with what they have now or mid-level players?

I do trust Danny, I mean, who couldn't after he robbed Brooklyn of a future. However, they still they have a long way to go before they can actually challenge for championship again...

Yeah, it's clear we need that go to guy but he wasn't available this trade deadline. So you move on without doing something stupid and hope you can make a trade or a sign a free agent this off-season. Trust The Process™.

TheFatOne

Not much the Celtics can do. They can use the picks to draft a rental who I can almost guarantee you won't resign long term, and then you are back to where you were. Except now you don't have those draft picks. That's the reality of the situation for the Celtics. They have to get extremely lucky in the draft, and get a superstar. Otherwise they are fucked. Guys don't want to sign here, and any rental player is basically a lateral move.

Kwhit10

Celtics have always gotten their players via trade and the draft.

The biggest free agency signing I can think of is Rasheed Wallace.

"Hearing that the Clippers were working feverishly to get a Lance Stephenson trade in just before the buzzer ... and might have succeeded" - @ESPNSteinLine

"Source: Lance Stephenson has been traded to Memphis"
- @DanWoikeSports

Not much the Celtics can do. They can use the picks to draft a rental who I can almost guarantee you won't resign long term, and then you are back to where you were. Except now you don't have those draft picks. That's the reality of the situation for the Celtics. They have to get extremely lucky in the draft, and get a superstar. Otherwise they are fucked. Guys don't want to sign here, and any rental player is basically a lateral move.

I think we have a decent shot at signing someone solid this off-season. Not many teams are as competitive as the Celtics, with a young core, a ton of cap room and the assets to pull off a major trade if they want to.

Dre3001

Celtics have always gotten their players via trade and the draft.

The biggest free agency signing I can think of is Rasheed Wallace.

Not a Boston fan by any means but why do they have such a hard time getting free agents?

I would imagine they would a big market like NY, LA, CHI, etc

Ryde3

came to say what an uneventful trade deadline - then I saw the Clippers deal - highway robbery!

edit: he gave up a pick, nvm.

spyder_ur

Wait - does Memphis at this current point have all of these guys:

Lance, Matt Barnes, Tony Allen, Chris Anderson, Zach Randolph, and PJ Hairston?

Holy crap - have fun coach.

Top Bottom