• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2015- 16 Regular Season IOTI - NBA GAF Is Pretty Dead Considering This Fact

phanphare

Banned
Stephenson was a big signing for the Hornets once.

Good times.

I believed

and then I didn't

Why would you trade for Lance in 2016?

350x700px-LL-d03fb7eb_FreshPrinceWhy.jpeg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Think Pistons gave up too much to get Montejunas - should have at least been lottery protected pick. Same with Cleveland and Frye - better be top 20+ protections on that pick for Frye.

Pistons pick they traded is protected, no?

Cornbread78

This is a bad time to sell all the picks for players though. The Warriors are at their peak and Lebron is looking like he's at the end of his prime. See what you can do with this squad and evaluate them after the season ends.

For the Boston fans - assuming the Brooklyn pick is #5 (per current records), who do you want to sign in FA (Durant, LeBron, and Drummond are all out)?

Not much the Celtics can do. They can use the picks to draft a rental who I can almost guarantee you won't resign long term, and then you are back to where you were. Except now you don't have those draft picks. That's the reality of the situation for the Celtics. They have to get extremely lucky in the draft, and get a superstar. Otherwise they are fucked. Guys don't want to sign here, and any rental player is basically a lateral move.

Yeah, it's clear we need that go to guy but he wasn't available this trade deadline. So you move on without doing something stupid and hope you can make a trade or a sign a free agent this off-season. Trust The Process™.

Celtics have always gotten their players via trade and the draft. The biggest free agency signing I can think of is Rasheed Wallace.

I think we have a decent shot at signing someone solid this off-season. Not many teams are as competitive as the Celtics, with a young core, a ton of cap room and the assets to pull off a major trade if they want to.

- Correct, minus player/team options, they are only on the books for 27 mill or so next year.

- Nobody is going to beat GS/CLE/SA for a couple more years, barring any major injuries..

- Who is going to sign as a FA in Boston? Durant is not walking through that door, Horford is not walking through that door, Howard is not walking through that door. At least they could have taken a chance to have one of them here short term and warmed them up to the idea a little bit. Those 2nd 2 first round picks are almost useless anyhow, the same for their 5 2nd round picks...

- Only time will tell, but the Celts have no players that could be ranked in the top 50 of the NBA, they need an impact player(s) to really get something out of all the young talent they have.

- Oh, and for the record, I really like the team they have now, however, they cannot win with them and I was hoping Danny would bring some star-power into the fold, but I guess the price was still too high.

- Who is going to sign as a FA in Boston? Durant is not walking through that door, Horford is not walking through that door, Howard is not walking through that door. At least they could have taken a chance to have one of them here short term and warmed them up to the idea a little bit. Those 2nd 2 first round picks are almost useless anyhow, the same for their 5 2nd round picks...

There are plenty of potential options and for what it's worth I could see Horford still coming to the Celtics in the off-season. But this is all beyond the point, you're working under the assumption that there were trades to be made with those picks and that Ainge just decided to pass on them. As far as those picks, maybe they get packaged to move up in the draft, maybe they get traded into future drafts or maybe Ainge just loads up on draft and stash players. I agree that he should move some of them but there's no reason to just give them up in bad trades.

spyder_ur

- Correct, minus player/team options, they are only on the books for 27 mill or so next year.

- Nobody is going to beat GS/CLE for a couple more years, barring any major injuries..

- Only time will tell, but the Celts have no players that could be ranked in the top 50 of the NBA, they need an impact player(s) to really get something out of all the young talent they have.

- Oh, and for the record, I really like the team they have now, however, they cannot win with them and I was hoping Danny would bring some star-power into the fold, but I guess the price was still too high.

I'm not convinced that noone will want to sign in Boston.

First round picks are never useless, although I think their value as a salary cap cost controller has been diminished with the incoming cap surge - you saw that this deadline.

In case you haven't noticed, the Celtics are winning right now. Can they win the title? Of course not, but there wasn't a player available that would change that. It seems the whole NBA, not just the Celts, recognized that. They have a lot of good young players, good ownership and a fantastic young coach. Oh and they are already really good. They're in an enviable spot.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Gonna be hilarious when the Raps take on the Celtics in the second round of the playoffs with how doom and gloom both fanbases are right now.

Cornbread78

May also want to add SAS and OKC (if everyone stays) on that list as well.

I'll just add SA for only another year or so. They need to revamp their roster soon as well.
Hasn't Durant hinted that he wants to get back on the east coast and was looking for a big market * cough, NYC, cough* or even his hometown in WAS?

spyder_ur

I have to consider the Thunder losers at this deadline. Foye is simply not enough. For the 5th straight season or so Presti has failed to put together complimentary pieces while he has had two of the top 10 players in the world on his roster. Specifically, he's failed to get shooters.

I still think Durant signs a 1 year deal to stay, but I'm not impressed with the Thunder today.

Bowser

If I'm being honest...I hope the Hornets land in that 7 spot. Raptors don't scare me at all. I think the Heat, Wiz, Hornets, Pacers, or Pistons could all take out the Raps.

Cornbread78

There are plenty of potential options and for what it's worth I could see Horford still coming to the Celtics in the off-season. But this is all beyond the point, you're working under the assumption that there were trades to be made with those picks and that Ainge just decided to pass on them. As far as those picks, maybe they get packaged to move up in the draft, maybe they get traded into future drafts or maybe Ainge just loads up on draft and stash players. I agree that he should move some of them but there's no reason to just give them up in bad trades.

No, I admit that fact, wasn't the rumor that Houston was asking for all three first round picks and Olynik for Howard? Stupid and I'm glad he didn't go there, however, their wheels are turning... Remember the problem Danny had trying to trade those three picks last draft? Risks must be taken here...

Not even Isaiah Thomas?

Nope, in both the most recent polls (SI/CBS), I don't think he was even in the top 75.

I'm not convinced that noone will want to sign in Boston.
First round picks are never useless, although I think their value as a salary cap cost controller has been diminished with the incoming cap surge - you saw that this deadline.
In case you haven't noticed, the Celtics are winning right now. Can they win the title? Of course not, but there wasn't a player available that would change that. It seems the whole NBA, not just the Celts, recognized that. They have a lot of good young players, good ownership and a fantastic young coach. Oh and they are already really good. They're in an enviable spot.

Oh, I already conceded this and will say it over and over again, they are a fun team to watch and work their a$$es off, but they still need a coupe impact players to really make a stand against those top teams.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'll just add SA for only another year or so. They need to revamp their roster soon as well.
Hasn't Durant hinted that he wants to get back on the east coast and was looking for a big market * cough, NYC, cough* or even his hometown in WAS?

Nah, Durant basically has only publicly said he really likes OKC (mostly because the press is completely compliant, and both him and Westbrook are sort of prickly).

SA has Parker, Aldridge, and Leonard. Even if Parker falls off, they're gonna be contenders for a while.

I have to consider the Thunder losers at this deadline. Foye is simply not enough. For the 5th straight season or so Presti has failed to put together complimentary pieces while he has had two of the top 10 players in the world on his roster. Specifically, he's failed to get shooters.

I still think Durant signs a 1 year deal to stay, but I'm not impressed with the Thunder today.

2 of the top 5, tbh. In no particular order, Curry, LeBron, Durant, Westbrook and maybe Kawhi or George or what not.

spyder_ur

Honestly, I'm curious what teams' behavior at this deadline has to say about a potential lockout in the future, as soon as 2017. A lot of mid-tier teams, it seems like, didn't feel like they had a shot at the title or even the finals, opting not to make moves for this postseason AND opting to not invest in bettering their rosters at the prospect of the huge money that will be thrown around starting this summer. A whole ton of teams will be left holding the bag. I've never known billionaires to be big fans of games they can't win.

There's also the issues of the cap (and the subsequent floor) rising so quickly that an increase in individual team revenues (especially smaller markets) can't keep up. The Jazz are a team to watch in this regard, given the extensions to guys like Hayward, Favors, Gobert, etc that they are going to have to issue.

Maybe this was just an isolated deadline situation though, and last year there was plenty of movement. I'll wait for the definitive Zach Lowe piece.

Not really surprised that Dwight and Horford/Teague didn't get moved. Trading superstars on an expiring contract seems like a recipe for a stand still in negotiations. The teams trading them are saying "Hey these guys are all stars give us a king's ransom!" and the team's trading for them are saying "Hey this is a 30 game rental we ain't giving you shit".

Tom Penny

Not really surprised that Dwight and Horford/Teague didn't get moved. Trading superstars on an expiring contract seems like a recipe for a stand still in negotiations. The teams trading them are saying "Hey these guys are all stars give us a king's ransom!" and the team's trading for them are saying "Hey this is a 30 game rental we ain't giving you shit".
Pretty sure this is exactly what happened.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
If I'm being honest...I hope the Hornets land in that 7 spot. Raptors don't scare me at all. I think the Heat, Wiz, Hornets, Pacers, or Pistons could all take out the Raps.

Why stop there? Add in the Cavs, Celtics, Bulls and Hawks as well

There we've named every team in or contending for the playoffs in the East.

"Jordan Mickey has arrived at Utah practice facility to join his team. Interesting to see how Olynyk injury affects the rookie forward."

The Jordan Mickey hype train lives on!

Either Doc has no time for scouting so he only signs players he knows from Boston or he's just a terrible GM. Or both. Probably both.

This is categorically, demonstrably false.

He also traded for and re-signed Austin Rivers.

Then again, he got him from Boston in the first place, so your statement, if read quite liberally, could almost be true. Hmmm.

Toronto Raptors
‏@Raptors
"We didn't want to give up the future of our team for any of the stuff out there." - Masai Ujiri on standing put.

I'm actually kinda glad we didn't go after Morris. I don't think i'd be happy if Morris was on the team and tried to harm Casey or a teammate.

I hope Carroll comes back soon.

ViciousDS

Banned
omg

we got rid of hinrich for justin holiday

hes not even an improvement.....dear heavens another guard who can't shoot for shit,

Also Gar is going to try to re-sign gasol? does that mean hes going to bring marc to chicago? Because thats the only way hes staying.....gosh....I hope our management knows what they are doing.....

nvm its GarPax were all along for the cheapest fucking ride of our lives!

Of course he is gonna leave. He came to Chicago to contend in the Eastern Conference. With the way the season is going, we can only pray to make the playoffs. This core is done and we should start over. Fire Hoiberg, fire GarPax and trade everyone not named Jimmy Butler.

There's no "of course" about it.

You didn't answer where he is going to go.

Also Gar is going to try to re-sign gasol? does that mean hes going to bring marc to chicago? Because thats the only way hes staying.....gosh....I hope our management knows what they are doing.....

nvm its GarPax were all along for the cheapest fucking ride of our lives!

Funny you say this as I heard they are going to vastly overpay him to stay.

Cheebo

Banned
Detroit seemed to really come out of the deadline as the big winner. Gave up almost nothing and got multiple really solid core starter level players.

Top Bottom