• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

Smokey

Real men wait until the official launch. Those who need the extra practice are out hunting like vikado.

This is my line and I'm stickin to it

Vestal

So outside of Kome ball, Excesive PitP, and keeping on ball defender.... What other things should I know about this league? Anything else thats frowned upon?

I haven't played in an Online Bball league in a while.. However I would like to know a few things.. for instance, whats the general rule of over using a specific play? What about 2man game on the weak side?

- ps3 League thread will go up this weekend.
- ps3 online league will have a tentative start of Oct. 20th, 6PM PST.
- current # of players:17
- currrent pot: $390 US

c'mon gaf, let's break the $400 barrier!
Smokey said:
Real men wait until the official launch. Those who need the extra practice are out hunting like vikado.

so, i wont be overniting you your copy?

3rdamention said:
I would love to get in on the PS3 League with the Pacers. PSN ID = Filth_Flannigan
$20 paypal buy-in. you still want in?
and pick your 2nd and 3rd team if you dont end up with your pacers

ecnal

Vestal said:
So outside of Kome ball, Excesive PitP, and keeping on ball defender.... What other things should I know about this league? Anything else thats frowned upon?

I haven't played in an Online Bball league in a while.. However I would like to know a few things.. for instance, whats the general rule of over using a specific play? What about 2man game on the weak side?

you've basically got everything down...

there were certain things in the past that were also frowned upon--the LT iso trick, constant up-and-under post moves, and other minor things based on constantly using a very high success rate move (ie; iso spin straight in to a shot)--but, from playing the demo and reading wang's comments, the locomotion engine in 2K11 has been re-written, so i'm not entirely sure what exploits will carry over from 2K9/2K10.

smokey will have a list of do's/don'ts in the league thread.

plays are wide open to use however you want.

charsace

Smokey said:

Fucking bullshit you speaking right here.

Smokey

charsace said:
Fucking bullshit you speaking right here.

I'm curious if you're going to actually follow through on your annual pre-season 2k predictions on your success. Every season I seem to always run into "I'm going to make a playoff run and win the championship". One of these seasons you've got to get it right...right?!?!

ecnal

Smokey said:
I'm curious if you're going to actually follow through on your annual pre-season 2k predictions on your success. Every season I seem to always run into "I'm going to make a playoff run and win the championship". One of these seasons you've got to get it right...right?!?!

wrong.

hunter as the spurs? fail.
hunter as the "VC'S NUTS ALL IN YOUR FACE DUNKZ ALL GAME" nets? fail.
hunter as the nuggets? fail.

i'll be the first to say it: sorry pheenix, you don't deserve all of the second round virgin heat... hunter deserves at least half of it.

charsace said:
Where can I cop this in NYC on friday!?!

videogames new york on the lower east side said they'll have it friday or saturday. same with a store right down the street from my apt

charsace

ecnal said:
wrong.

hunter as the spurs? fail.
hunter as the "VC'S NUTS ALL IN YOUR FACE DUNKZ ALL GAME" nets? fail.
hunter as the nuggets? fail.

i'll be the first to say it: sorry pheenix, you don't deserve all of the second round virgin heat... hunter deserves at least half of it.
I've been in the playoffs every season so far and have been past the second round. There was the one season I got beat in the conference championship in 2k9 by I think witness' bullshit double split and chuck from the top of the key with Wade.

ph33nix said:
videogames new york on the lower east side said they'll have it friday or saturday. same with a store right down the street from my apt
PM me if videogames new york is getting it on friday.

pilonv1

28109d1285802357-best-mj-screenshot-everrr-m2546803.jpg

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu need this now

ecnal

charsace said:
I've been in the playoffs every season so far and have been past the second round. There was the one season I got beat in the conference championship in 2k9 by I think witness' bullshit double split and chuck from the top of the key with Wade.

oh, so you made it past the second round in the tourney.

my point still stands; you haven't made it out of the first round in any season.

check the stats.

mbmonk

Some guy posted his thoughts about online play on the 2k forums. It's not an elegant post, but it does bring up a topic I am interest in LAG..

ive played about 4-5 games online and i must say although the experience was a little more enjoyable than last years and it looks as good as it does offline which is a plus especially in comparison to last year...

the biggest flaw is there is still that "lag" of about .5-1 second that can disrupt the timing of ur jumpers and freethrows which is VERY frustrating...

icant seem to ever get a feel for the games flow because of the lag...i know u verteran online players are used to this, but i just cant really see how u can play like that, to me its completely unacceptable, period!...

another thing is that the games are way too short... 5minutes quarters are kinda wack and there should be an option to choose the quarter length...

i know some of u will be playing alot of online this year so let me warn u that its NOT much different from last years at all so dont get too amped up about it...so for me, there will once again be NO online playing, association and my player will have to do.

Has this always been the case? I was hoping for a quality online experience.

Nightz

mbmonk said:
I was hoping for a quality online experience.
I would not equate NBA 2K with quality online experience at all. :lol Serviceable, but could use a lot of improvement lag wise.

ecnal

mbmonk said:
Some guy posted his thoughts about online play on the 2k forums. It's not an elegant post, but it does bring up a topic I am interest in LAG..

Has this always been the case? I was hoping for a quality online experience.

it's p2p, so lag varies opponent to opponent.

the lag will always be there come on. it is there for every sports game. if the game is on par with 2k9's lag it's not really a big deal. he is right in that every game has "different" lag, but it only takes a few times down the court to gauge what the lag is.

total non-issue to me if there is a bit of lag. it will never ever be as smooth as a 2 player game with your buddy on the couch, no matter how good the network/servers are

How does the 2K series play on PC? Are they decent ports? The PC version of 2K11 is only $29.99 on Amazon. I'm seriously considering it. Half price?!

mbmonk

Nightz said:
I would not equate NBA 2K with quality online experience at all. :lol Serviceable, but could use a lot of improvement lag wise.

:lol I heard something about 'new servers' and was hoping they meant some sort of dedicated server for gameplay. Guess not.

ecnal said:
it's p2p, so lag varies opponent to opponent.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
the lag will always be there come on. it is there for every sports game. if the game is on par with 2k9's lag it's not really a big deal. he is right in that every game has "different" lag, but it only takes a few times down the court to gauge what the lag is.

total non-issue to me if there is a bit of lag. it will never ever be as smooth as a 2 player game with your buddy on the couch, no matter how good the network/servers are

Okay.

mbmonk

Team Klimt said:
How does the 2K series play on PC? Are they decent ports? The PC version of 2K11 is only $29.99 on Amazon. I'm seriously considering it. Half price?!

The only thing I can think to suggest is check the Steam forums for the nba 2k series. Other than that maybe you could find some 2k10 pc reviews.. maybe?

I have been playing this demo non-stop. Man, you can do so many things in the 2K games. Still trying to get a better flow with the dribbling.

RDreamer

Convinced my friend to get 2k11 instead of opting for keeping live 10 and its updated rosters. I'd really love to get in on a league here, but there's no way in hell I'm going to pay for it (getting the game on PS3), since I'd probably be totally killed every single game anyway (never played 2k, and haven't really played a basketball game in years). Oh well.

charsace

ecnal said:
oh, so you made it past the second round in the tourney.

my point still stands; you haven't made it out of the first round in any season.

check the stats.
I have my dude. I'm sure of it.

The M.O.B

Team Klimt said:

2k10 PC was a good port, the only problem was that it would always get the latest patch like a month or two after the consoles have had it. I guess that's what you get for $30 bucks.

ecnal

Vestal said:
So outside of my (cry)big 4(BWall, Rip, Gordon, Prince) Anyone interested in any Pistons?

maybe :)

any of my backcourt players are available along with rashard (magic).

pilonv1

That lag is always going to be there for any basketball game because shooting is all timing based. And it's timing on a .5-1second button press for a release.

ecnal

charsace said:
I have my dude. I'm sure of it.

you're a second round virgin during season play my dude. i'm sure of it.

DCX/Smokey mop you up every time--check your $tat$.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
mbmonk said:
:lol I heard something about 'new servers' and was hoping they meant some sort of dedicated server for gameplay. Guess not.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Okay.

They claim they have new servers like every year when it's finally starting to get to people that it's the shitty code that opts to wait for players to respond on time or wait until they do. at least thats the problem with the team up stuff.

reaver18

edit: nvm I see I have the cavs...thanks guys :lol

alright whole teams on the block send any trade propositions my way for whoever...

CLIPPERS: want to give up blake griffin or maybe even gordon? drop me an offer

Smokey

Need to also start the fun process of making divisions/conferences. Since we have a full league it won't be any uneven divisions which is always good.

rinse82

viakado: any issues you see with the PS3 version? i've been reading random posts on the OS and 2K forums about the PS3 having "graphical" issues. It's to be understood that the PS3 version will never look as good as the 360 as long as it's a port, so I'm okay with minor differences, just hoping there's nothing too noticeable.

SamuraiX-

rinse82 said:
viakado: any issues you see with the PS3 version? i've been reading random posts on the OS and 2K forums about the PS3 having "graphical" issues. It's to be understood that the PS3 version will never look as good as the 360 as long as it's a port, so I'm okay with minor differences, just hoping there's nothing too noticeable.

The graphical drop will always be there, but you'll also hear a lot of people saying the controls feel much more user-friendly and smooth on the PS3. Take what you can get, I guess. :p

Purexed

Banned
rinse82 said:
I'm curious to hear about this as well, and some general impressions. Quit holding out...

Smokey said:
Need to also start the fun process of making divisions/conferences. Since we have a full league it won't be any uneven divisions which is always good.

We have a full league. Can't you just do standard divisions/conferences?

I don't want to see any flaky ass shit now with the way you set up these things...

Assemble!

Question:

One of the dev insights says you can take a classic team into Association mode. But can you start an Association with a fantasy draft that includes Jordan and the classic players?

mbmonk

I am really lost on the post play in 2k11. Can anyone explain some of the basic mechanics of post moves? I have watched videos on 2k10 post system is it the same for the most part? I kept hearing about a clutch button in 2k10 that has been removed in 2k11 it seems ( it's not in the demo ).

Here are the two videos I found explaining the post:

1) Shot Stick based: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB7hZyr1MmM
2) More button based: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iaVeRr2YQc

Does this hold true, in general, in 2k11? A simple yes/no will suffice. I am going to try and test the moves in these video tonight if I have time.

Top Bottom