• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Assemble! said:
But can you start an Association with a fantasy draft that includes Jordan and the classic players?
Would that mean multiple versions of Jordan could be drafted since he has multiple ratings?

Smokey

ph33nix said:
We have a full league. Can't you just do standard divisions/conferences?

I don't want to see any flaky ass shit now with the way you set up these things...

We've always done custom divisions/conferences, even when we had a full league what are you talking about?

mbmonk said:
I am really lost on the post play in 2k11. Can anyone explain some of the basic mechanics of post moves? I have watched videos on 2k10 post system is it the same for the most part? I kept hearing about a clutch button in 2k10 that has been removed in 2k11 it seems ( it's not in the demo ).

Here are the two videos I found explaining the post:

1) Shot Stick based: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB7hZyr1MmM
2) More button based: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iaVeRr2YQc

Does this hold true, in general, in 2k11? A simple yes/no will suffice. I am going to try and test the moves in these video tonight if I have time.

Yes. Post play in 2K is quite deep. Spin moves, fadeaways, up and unders etc.

Smokey said:
We've always done custom divisions/conferences, even when we had a full league what are you talking about?

Yes. Post play in 2K is quite deep. Spin moves, fadeaways, up and unders etc.

I can't remember the last time we had a full league.

But I see no reason to do custom stuff anymore. What's the point? I think its weird as fuck if I have to play a western conference team before I get to the "finals"

Unless you're scared of somebody and want to relegate them to a different conference...

just look at how it would naturally play out too. good mix of new people/vets in each division

ecnal

ph33nix said:

But I see no reason to do custom stuff anymore. What's the point? I think its weird as fuck if I have to play a western conference team before I get to the "finals"

Unless you're scared of somebody and want to relegate them to a different conference...

just look at how it would naturally play out too. good mix of new people/vets in each division

:lol

i want to be in the opposite conference as smokey. we have some unfinished business since 2K10 broke in the playoffs.

DCX

DCX
ph33nix said:

Hmm which I like better. keep Phee out of the playoffs or take him out in the playoffs? Decisions.

DCX

ecnal said:
:lol

i want to be in the opposite conference as smokey. we have some unfinished business since 2K10 broke in the playoffs.

So is this a finals guarantee?

rasheed-wallace.jpg

charsace

ph33nix said:

He has to make sure that me and him aren't in the same division.

charsace said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

delusional knicks fan in real life
delusional of yourself in 2k

Jube3

Anyone know of any spots in the Seattle, WA area? I'm pretty sure I'm stuck waiting until Tuesday but just wanted to ask in case :D

XiaNaphryz

I just realized you could get a lot of the original Dream Team together.

85-86 Bird
90-91 Magic
95-96 Ewing
91-92 Jordan
91-92 Pippen
91-92 Drexler
96-97 Malone
96-97 Stockton

89-90 Chuck Daly head coach
89-90 Lenny Wilkins assistant coach

Just missing Mullin, Charles, Robinson, and Laettner.

LukeSmith

Jube3 said:
Anyone know of any spots in the Seattle, WA area? I'm pretty sure I'm stuck waiting until Tuesday but just wanted to ask in case :D

Dude, story of my life. I can't find a mom and pop shop around here to save my life.

When I retire in 50 years, I should open one.

mbmonk

seattle6418 said:
Bummer, my copy will only get here on october 10th or later. I hope it gets here on time for the PS3 league.

I wouldn't worry too much. With no Elite the day 1 online traffic is going to be even larger than originally expected. For many games Day 1 online play is a pipe dream anyways.

So you will probably be fine :). I don't know what offline mode I am going to throw myself at for the first couple of days probably My Player.

Smokey

charsace said:
You should be worried about some rookie comin up in the game and owning you over the course of the season. The league tournament will be a good indicator of where people are!

I should probably at least put some serious time in with the demo this weekend, I'm gonna be rusty as fuck.

LiveWire

If the demo is any indication of the final product I'm going to get destroyed in this league. :lol

Also because I know two things about basketball: jack and shit.

ecnal

LiveWire said:
If the demo is any indication of the final product I'm going to get destroyed in this league. :lol

Also because I know two things about basketball: jack and shit.

you'll be fine.

you might even get lucky and play chars multiple times--those are always free wins.

reaver18

All of those trades are terrible Robin Lopez and grant hill for songaila and Thornton? Lmao

The Nash trade is even worse.

ecnal

LiveWire said:
I just hope there's an alternate control scheme, I could not time that right stick shooting mechanism at all. Ron Artest isn't THAT bad of a shooter is he?

you can still shoot by pressing X and releasing it according to the player's shot.

you only need to use the right stick for context sensitive shots (runners, floaters, specific dunks/layups, etc.)

XiaNaphryz

reaver18 said:
All of those trades are terrible Robin Lopez and grant hill for songaila and Thornton? Lmao

The Nash trade is even worse.
Suns probably shifted to sell/rebuild mode and were dumping salary.

Team Building & States
The core system that has been added to the AI this year is one called Team Building. This system actually oversees the other systems (which I’ll detail below). As the name implies, this system is responsible for building the strongest team possible with respect to the style employed by the coaching staff. The first step in building a successful team is identifying what the team’s current goals are. This year, our AI classifies a team into one of the following four Team States:

- Contending: This is a team that has the pieces to win the title. They won’t be overly active on the market as they don’t want to disrupt their chemistry, but they certainly won’t let an advantageous trade slip by should one present itself. When you think Contending team, think the Lakers.

- Buying: This is a team that is a step below the contending teams, but is only a solid acquisition or two away from being able to take that next step. The AI will actively pursue an upgrade to any deficiencies in its starting lineup and/or the first few players off the bench. If the piece is a perfect fit, the team will often mortgage the future to get that player. When you think Buying team, think the Blazers.

- Selling: This is a team whose window has closed and they are clearly trying to move their aging/bad contracts for youth/picks. It’s not common for a team to be in this state long in our game, or in the real NBA. When it happens though, it’s best to strike while the iron is hot. When you think Selling team, think what the Wizards did last season or what the Celtics and Spurs will be doing in approximately 12-24 months from now. Sorry Celtics and Spurs fans. Reality is coming soon…

- Rebuilding: A large portion of the NBA teams tend to live in this state for long periods of time. This is seen in our game as well. Rebuilding teams are, simply put, looking to upgrade their rosters. They are looking to build through the draft, through free agency, and through trades. Rebuilding teams aren’t interested in your aging, overpriced 35-year old guard. If you are going to offer one up to a rebuilding team, they are going to value him quite low (unless you pair a nice draft pick alongside him), meaning you’ll be getting pennies on the dollar for him. When you think Rebuilding teams, think the Timberwolves, Wizards, Kings, etc.

Teams are very cognizant of what state they are currently in, and they will update their state as their rosters change. The entire logic for the mode this year is designed around this logic model, and its implementation has paid off in spades. You’ll see that as we move through the rest of the logic systems.

charsace

ph33nix said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

delusional knicks fan in real life
delusional of yourself in 2k
Don't be mad when I blow you out and I'm still pulling up for 3's on the fastbreak in the 4th.

One thing I really hate about the demo is that I can't change the camera. Hate isoing in that view in the demo.

mbmonk

LiveWire said:
I just hope there's an alternate control scheme, I could not time that right stick shooting mechanism at all. Ron Artest isn't THAT bad of a shooter is he?

Yea. Like Ecnal said the vast majority of the shots you can pull off with the shot button. Check out the last line in this picture:

5000349058_49ca56aac6_b.jpg

So basically you can do all of these shots with the button. The combination makes more logical sense to me with the left stick and shot button.

LiveWire

XiaNaphryz said:
Would this help any?

That does very much actually. I'll just need to practice with it as it seems the amount of strategic moves off of the dribbles make it essential to open up scoring options.

Smokey

Rule is to only use x button to shoot...use shot stick for everything else (post moves, and shots around the basket).

Using shot stick online to shoot jumpers is asking for trouble.

charsace

Smokey said:
Rule is to only use x button to shoot...use shot stick for everything else (post moves, and shots around the basket).

Using shot stick online to shoot jumpers is asking for trouble.
Or if you're highly skilled like I am.

ecnal

charsace said:
I still made the playoffs with that team you sucker. I'm going to whoop your ass in 2k11 so just keep on posting old news.

spoken like a true knicks fan.

always living in the future because the past is too painful.

charsace said:
Or if you're highly skilled like I am.

those stick skills have lead you to as many second round appearances as the knicks have playoff appearances in the last decade.

RS4-

Played for a few minutes just to test things out.
- default settings it's way to easy to make shots, inside and out.
- just like the demo, you can't pass around like an idiot like you would in previous games and Live, so success rate is down due to deflections and getting picked off
- play on All-star and higher, shot percentages go down because sliders move down when you up the difficulty (I don't remember if it was like that last year)
- I actually find it easier to throw alley-oops compared to previous years; which of course depends on the passer, receiver and lane traffic
- I have to figure out which is better for the iso/dunk/layup stick: camera or absolute since it's driving me nuts when it comes to post moves and driving to the net at various angles.

As the Raps in franchise, finding various trades:
- swapped Calderon and I think a draft pick for Conley, Allen and a pick
- flipped Allen to the Wiz for Thornton
- traded Evans for Beasley straight up

Jordan challenge:
- 8 minute quarters I believe, cannot change length, but can change difficulty and use real freethrow and shot %s instead of relying on the shot stick
- Even on pro, the teams will do whatever it takes to prevent you from successfully completing your goals
- limited amount of players on each team, I think the 86 Bulls had maybe 8 players on their roster? For some reason one of the guys only shows up in the "3 point lineup," so you can't manually sub him in unless it's that specific line up. A John Smith or something?

Things that I don't like:
- For the longest time that I've been playing 2k, plays still take ages to start
- the awful way of subbing in your players on the fly
- enjoyed Live 10s pick options (roll, screen, etc), while in 2k it's like...pick...then roll to the net.

mbmonk

RS4- said:
Things that I don't like:
- For the longest time that I've been playing 2k, plays still take ages to start

That sucks. I was really looking forward to running plays and trying to find plays that look similar but have different wrinkles. But if they take so long to start it can really limit you.

RS4-

mbmonk said:
That sucks. I was really looking forward to running plays and trying to find plays that look similar but have different wrinkles. But if they take so long to start it can really limit you.

I don't like burning off nearly 10 seconds just waiting for people to set up. I mean, I'm glad that there's movement going on and you don't necessarily have to follow the X's and O's but...still!

And I think there are different sets of initial plays depending if you call them in the back court of front court.

FbuTS.jpg

sorry about the awful PQ, was using my camera.

Post game stuff is nice, there's a slideshow of 30 pictures or so from the game. Like previous years, it still records all the scoring plays and such.

- You can save & quit, then resume your games as usual, even the Jordan Challenges
- if you resume a game, your highlights will only include stuff after you continued; so if there's a nice dunk you pulled off and you want to save & quit, make sure you save that highlight first.

ecnal

RS4- said:
And I think there are different sets of initial plays depending if you call them in the back court of front court.

bingo.

if you call a play as you're running up the court--typically before you've crossed half court--your players will almost always be lined up and ready to roll once you get up to the frontcourt--although sometimes it takes an extra second or two for your bigs to get lined up and ready.

Smokey

Shurs said:

Because it was fun having various people that don't like each other in the same division, and also because sometimes we had a weird number of players.

I'll leave it alone for the first season though.

The M.O.B

2K newb Question, Does 2k11 have slow taking the ball out like the demo? A bunch of times I wanted to quickly take the ball out after a shot and run up the court, but instead my player would wait for Bynum/Perkins to walk back and then take the ball out, which by most of the time the defense is already set up.

And on the opposite side of the court, after I make a shot it always zooms in on my player and doesn't let me control him. I like to full court pressure the other team, but i cant do it since i lose control of my player while he walks back.

Top Bottom