• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

Ephemeris

Just had the best game.

Won with a last second 3 pointer in second OT.

Hit the share button to upload that last bit of gameplay. It only saved :44 of footage, it says. And it is of the logos during the loading screen?

Sigh....

Had the same experience Lol

Win with a buzzer beater 3 after I was benched the entire game.

I realize if you jump back to the main OS, it resets the timer. :/

example:

1) Play for 15 mins, hit the share button. Jump back into NBA and stay in the menu for 20 seconds. Hit share again. You'll have made two clips: the 15 mins and the 20 seconds.

2) Play for 15 mins, hit the PS button, go back to NBA, stay in the menu for 20 seconds and hit share. It only will have the footage of the last 20 seconds of being in game.

any 2k for dummies type guide online that i can check out while im not at home?

If you can watch videos, I would suggest watching Da_Czar. Some of his videos are from previous versions of NBA 2K but he does a really good job bridging concepts in real basketball with 2K and how they apply.

Try this one first (yeah it's not 2K14 but shot feedback is fundamental across all versions of the game and then just watch stuff that interests you.

Fundamentals in Contesting a Shot

Clevinger

so with MyPlayer and VC and stuff being tied to online, do you need a PS+/Live sub to use those features? Or you just have to have an online connection? thanks

casmith07

Makes one yearn for an NFL 2K14

It does. I was always in the camp of "NFL 2K wasn't that good anyway" and for a time, the gameplay wasn't.

But the presentation? Combined with 2K's continued gameplay improvements over the years? I can only imagine what a 2K-developed NFL game would do these days.

I'm willing to bet just based on marketing and reviews alone it would blow Madden away. Which gives EA more incentive to keep a death-grip on that license.

This game is garbage outside of the actual gameplay...

sounds weird but that's how I feel about it. Playing the actual games is great fun and some pretty cool things happen, but everything that surrounds it just dampens the mood. The shitty menus, the always online-esque things, the shit they took out because reasons, the pay to win shit, MyPlayer is basically scripted and they ruined the association mode with extra nonsense that only serves to complicate things (along with taking out features there too). It is just really difficult to even play this game because as soon as you want to do something else, you are reminded of how much shit they fucked up.

Once again, they are sooo lucky Live is so bad. But this is basically how 2k began to fail in Hockey and Baseball..

The game is pretty and plays well but everything else...is bad

Hopefully 2k patches some things back in but I doubt it as the things I am bitching about don't matter to the masses. They will probably pull an EA and add them back like its some big deal.

I feel the same exact way. The gameplay is great/beautiful but everything outside of it is a mess. I understand this is the first game of a new generation and it's a foundational piece, but that doesn't change the fact that I dropped $60 on a shallow, disappointing experience. I'm probably going to trade it in the weekend, which sucks because 2K14 was one of my most hyped next-gen titles.

Set all your sliders to 100. Play on Rookie. Post results.

Hey man, that's how I started.

This is my plan! Is there a "Season Mode" where I can set this though? I only noticed on Quick Play and in MyCareer I didn't notice where I could change the sliders (saw the difficulty).

Can you also change sliders in MyGM?

And one more! If I have a friend over and we play versus, can you change the sliders for each side so that it makes the game pretty easy? I just want to have a fun game to play with a couple drinks that doesn't involve a tutorial on how to play.

Zep

Banned
any 2k for dummies type guide online that i can check out while im not at home?

Well offensively...I would use this pick n roll guide on helping you to create open shots on offense. Pick n rolls are started by holding down circle and then depending on how long you hold it down, the guy setting the pick will respond to that action. Holding down circle they will go in this order;

Slip - hold it down for a split second...The screen guy will fake a screen and slide right to the basket. I wouldn't recommend this starting off. Its more for setting up players who are used to you using the other two pick n rolls.

Roll - The one you'll be primarily using. Your big man will go crashing towards the hoop after setting the screen. This can help you create open shots for your players on the wings(corner 3pt lines) and/or the guy setting the screen. After you go around the screen, see how the defense reacts. For example, watch the video and you'll see a few times where the point guard goes into the paint and the defense collapses on him. This is a good opportunity to kick it out to the corner wing(3pt corner) for a clean jumper. On the flipside, if they don't collapse, the guy who set the screen should have a clean lane to the basket, allowing you easy points at the rim.

Fade - Used for a teams with shooting big men like Kevin Love, Dirk, Duncan, Aldridge, Boozer. With this option, the guy setting the pick will not go crashing towards the basket after setting the screen, he will stay around and drift in the mid range/3pt area(depending on where you set the pick) and more times than not, you'll either end up with a mismatch(smaller player on your screen guy) or a wide open shot for your shooting big man. Even if you don't have a shooting big man, you can use him to suck in the defense by giving him the ball after the screen and running towards the hoop. This should suck in the defense and more times than not you should have an open wing player around. If they don't collapse keep taking it to the basket.

I tried simplifying it for you as much as I could. Use the video for a baseline of what I typed out and see if you can spot out what the defense is doing and make your decision. It'll take some time to understand whats going on around you, so I suggest going into practice mode and doing a scrimmage. A team like Minnesota would be good to start with.

HariKari

Set all your sliders to 100. Play on Rookie. Post results.

Hey man, that's how I started.

I tried this but if you want to progress in MyGM or MyCareer you need the gold vc stuff, and rookie gives you half as much as pro. I royally suck at this game. I don't get it. I can play point and defend my man perfectly, while the team constantly gives up scores. It's like they never get a stop, especially inside. So I end up being smoked by the AI on Pro (medium?) setting.

Anyways, I made a dynasty with the Bucks somehow. Won something like 7/10 titles with Anthony Davis, Ty Lawson, and Kevin Durant. Just simulating every game. Now I'm deep into randomly generated territory (2035ish) and I've encountered a bug where a guy is permanently on IR and you can't release him. Happened to a guy that was costing me 11m+ a year and his contract auto-renewed for some reason. I finally got rid of him, only to watch a stud 90+ 21 year old get the same bug. Am sad :(

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
Anyone have problems with the game freezing? Everything worked fine for my first couple of games but after trying to load the game yesterday it froze at "Loading Files". I had to do a hard shut off on the ps4.

Everything else worked great but each time I attempted to load NBA2K the game would freeze at loading files. I had to completely delete and re-install the game.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Well offensively...I would use this pick n roll guide on helping you to create open shots on offense. Pick n rolls are started by holding down circle and then depending on how long you hold it down, the guy setting the pick will respond to that action. Holding down circle they will go in this order;

Wow thanks for that! Really detailed. I look forward to practicing and smoking my friend who is as clueless as I. The other night he was getting all these points off me with lobs and wouldn't tell me how to do it until after the game. Then again he is probably reading up just like I am. lol

Man my player created guy really sucks. I think I shot under 20% that first game. And why does my asian character speak like a black guy. They should have at least re-recorded some lines...or would that have been ever more terrible stereotyping if done poorly? :D

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Damn, I think like 5 people on GAF bought this game. Easily one of the most slowest moving OT's around, lol!

Sports OT's always move slow. There really isn't much to discuss regarding the game. Since we already have a NBA2k league thread outside of looking for a game the OT is rarely going to get used.

Sports OT's always move slow. There really isn't much to discuss regarding the game. Since we already have a NBA2k league thread outside of looking for a game the OT is rarely going to get used.

Would the league thread be better to ask for tips and such as time goes on or is that only for league players and such? I suck, and I know I'll be asking a lot more in the coming days!

Hilti92

How do the voice commands work? I have them on and said "Time out" and nothing happen except for me looking stupid infront of my girlfriend.

Joco

So I ran into a problem with MyTeam that I don't know if anyone else has encountered, but it really pissed me off last night. Maybe I'm just stupid but I don't know of any workaround for this other than what I had to do - which was spend actual money so I could get more players.

I had created a team and got my players - which I'm assuming are completely random. I decided to start a Domination match, which I then play until I'm down by around 20 points (because I'm new at this and I suck) and just decide it'd be easier to start a new game. Do another game of Domination, and play through until again I'm getting my ass kicked, so I decide to back out again and try a third time. Problem is, two of my players have sustained injuries in each of the games I attempted and those apparently stuck with them - I healed one of them with one of those healing cards I had received when I first created my team (but this didn't seem to take effect immediately?). Anyway two players were hurt and the game wouldn't let me start a match with injured players in the lineup, even if they were on the bench. I didn't have enough players to replace any of the injured ones with, didn't have any credits or whatever they're called because I hadn't won any games yet so I couldn't buy more - you get the point.

I was thinking of maybe trying to delete a save for the MyTeam but I believe it's linked to the server so I wasn't sure that would be possible. And I don't want to delete the game from the system and have to reinstall it and download that 2 gb patch again. The only way that I saw that I could advance was to purchase some of the currency via the PSN store. Ended up buying the lowest amount for $1.99 and purchased a bronze pack, which then gave me more players I could swap out for the injured ones. So after like an hour of trying to figure this out I was able to play again.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong (I have a feeling I might be), as this has really soured my opinion of the game overall.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Would the league thread be better to ask for tips and such as time goes on or is that only for league players and such? I suck, and I know I'll be asking a lot more in the coming days!

As long as you don't ask me anywhere would be cool.

I suck too.

CSX

A question for those who played multiple seasons in MyGM or myplayer,

Are the auto-create draft classes fixed so that not all rooklies are pure trash ?

So it says I need an update for online features, where do I get it?

Also do they no longer allow you to download draft classes made by other folks? All help is appreciated.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So it says I need an update for online features, where do I get it?

Also do they no longer allow you to download draft classes made by other folks? All help is appreciated.

Is this your first time playing the game? The update should be auto-downloading but you'll need to quit and restart the game to install iirc.

anyone consistently able to do the euro-step...i've done it like 3 times but i can nail it down

i drive to basket and then flick pro stick right to left

am i doing this right?

Is this your first time playing the game? The update should be auto-downloading but you'll need to quit and restart the game to install iirc.

Yes to first time on the system no to first time ever. I thought that it was supposed to auto update but it didn't show any progress bar and every time I started would tell me to update, so should I be doing something different?

Also on My GM, do they no longer allow you to download a draft? Hate playing without such a deep draft class as part of the game.

For the life of me I don't get why 2K doesn't have an extensive tutorial for such a deep complicated game

Having to rely on YouTube videos to know how to do anything is BS and they should be called out in it reviews

And have gaming journalists just given up on docking this game points for all-time shit menus and UI?

WTF @ no create a player

WTF @ not being able to edit rosters without also uploading them to the 2K Share servers

WTF @ whatever they did to 2K shoes regarding the fake currency point system and microtransactions

WTF @ THESE MENUS JESUS CHRIST

The game is beautiful and fun on court, but absolutely garbage everywhere else. I can't believe how much they ruined, or flat out removed from the game.

WTF @ no create a player

WTF @ not being able to edit rosters without also uploading them to the 2K Share servers

WTF @ whatever they did to 2K shoes regarding the fake currency point system and microtransactions

The game is beautiful and fun on court, but absolutely garbage everywhere else. I can't believe how much they ruined, or flat out removed from the game.

yeah im going through this right now, bought the game today.

how exactly do you create a custom team?

also, wtf do i have to purchase individual players to play blacktop? :(

WTF @ no create a player

I'm still not understanding why game "journalists" don't EVER dock this game points for this. It's just an automatic 8.5+ no questions asked

Kai

Anyone able to pick a team playbook and use the playbook in playcalling? Still seems broken and can only use the default plays...

I'm surprised nobody else is complaining about this. You literally can't run any plays other than the default plays.

wowlace

I haven't got the game yet being in Australia, but from what I've seen the menus look a hell of a lot better than that Jay Z "produced" trash from 2K13. Fuck I hated that "design", it was full on cliched cheesy nightclub promotion shit. GOD DAMN it was bad.

Man I was considering getting this but judging from this thread, there seems to be a lot of problems with this game. So idk, I might wait it out for a black friday deal.

Smokey

Most of us in the GAF league have been playing together since 2k8. I've been playing since the Dreamcast days, but that majority of members have a good amount of experience with the game. Here is the league thread if you're curious

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715229

demolitio

everyone is right about the crappy features and menus, but damn they did good on the core gameplay :D

Yea, some things have me annoyed but I'm having too much fun to worry about it all the time. It's my most played game on my PS4 and I haven't touched the other 3 games often because of how much fun I'm having.

To me, only The Show beats it in terms of favorite sports game and like others, it just makes me think of what the NFL2K series would be like today since they had a solid team as well.

WTF @ no create a player

Its hard to ruin or remove something that isnt there. You have to remember that they have to build this from the ground up mostly on these new platforms. Par for the course for launch feature wise, but the gameplay is shockingly solid. Thats seems to be where they spent the most time.

HoTHiTTeR

Gameplay experience so far is excellent but;

-When, if ever, will we get the court/shoes/jersey/roster updates?
-Who the hell thought to make an in-game sub menu and not include fatigue levels on it?

Its hard to ruin or remove something that isnt there. You have to remember that they have to build this from the ground up mostly on these new platforms. Par for the course for launch feature wise, but the gameplay is shockingly solid. Thats seems to be where they spent the most time.

This isn't me complaining about some nagging issue in Association Mode, or nitpicking a feature of an Online League, those features I mentioned as basic as hell. "Basketball game features 101" kind of basic. They've pretty much ruined created rosters and the 2K Share stuff with those omissions + back assward design choices. All of that before even getting into the ridiculous menu system with sub menus and modes tucked away in nonsensical ways. Everything aside from the on court action is garbage. I commend them for getting the first title on next gen to play and look great, but I can't excuse the AWFUL Ui and rookie mistakes on display here.

-Who the hell thought to make an in-game sub menu and not include fatigue levels on it?

This too.

And what's up with the bug after a made shot where the camera will focus on one player as the opposing team suffers a 5 second inbound penalty because the ball can't be passed in?

Used my $10 credit for this game and I don't regret it at all. I haven't bought a 2k game since 2k11 but I played that one for years. I'm pretty sure I'll be playing this at least until 2k16. Never really went deep into franchise mode I just like playing a season here and there, street ball and of course classic teams vs today's elites.

led4lyfe

Uh so last night my friend and I were able to do co-op mygm mode. We played together in games with our fantasy team we drafted. The next day there's no option for us to play together. Was there something in the update that got rid of co-op mygm???

This isn't me complaining about some nagging issue in Association Mode, or nitpicking a feature of an Online League, those features I mentioned as basic as hell. "Basketball game features 101" kind of basic. They've pretty much ruined created rosters and the 2K Share stuff with those omissions + back assward design choices. All of that before even getting into the ridiculous menu system with sub menus and modes tucked away in nonsensical ways. Everything aside from the on court action is garbage. I commend them for getting the first title on next gen to play and look great, but I can't excuse the AWFUL Ui and rookie mistakes on display here.

This too.

And what's up with the bug after a made shot where the camera will focus on one player as the opposing team suffers a 5 second inbound penalty because the ball can't be passed in?

I don't you quite understand how this is a new engine that they are building for next-gen. Like mostly from scratch. The fact that the gameplay is mature as it is shows exactly where there efforts went.

To put it in perspective, they had less time to build this from the ground up(PS4 kits didn' start rolling out till Mar/April) than they had to expand on what they already had in 2k13 for current gen.

Top Bottom