• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

Does this game have the same gameplay problems as the ps3/360?

Such as, the gameplay mechanics not working. I could name 50 things wrong with it but to start, goaltending and blocking are retardedly unbalanced, it is unreasonably difficult to dunk the ball, shooting is completely random at times doesnt matter how perfect your release is.

Amneisac

I can't even load "my career" right now. It just stays on loading forever then crashes if I try to back out.

Right after I post that it appears to be working. I guess when their servers go down you can't play at all?

HariKari

Anyone know any good guides for how to play center and how to progress in myCareer? I'm totally lost out there as a casual basketball fan.

weevles

I'm really enjoying NBA2K14, but there are still problems with the MyPlayer career system. You start out gimped stat-wise and VC is a little too difficult/slow to come by so the game can be kind of a grind. Seems like they tie your own performance directly to your teams' so if you aren't playing at "A" level consistently, your team is pretty much guaranteed to lose (at least in my experience). Some of the goals seem unattainable unless your player rating is high. For example, my guy is rated 79 out of 100 and my rookie keeps getting put into situations where I can't meet the goal (like, "hey the team is down by 20 points, get us to within 10 or take the lead"). It sounds easy enough, but then one single mistake or missed opportunity on offense completely fucks up the momentum and the opposing team just drains everything or matches you point for point. I haven't won a single game yet and my player averages around a B rating. I can get 20+ points and 5 or more assists a game for my backup point guard role and the team still loses. It's kind of unrealistic and demoralizing. Also, the presentation seems to have cut corners from previous games. No cheerleaders or mascots, only a stat rundown during halftime, and the music gets repetitive very quickly. The trade off is that Doris Burke does sideline interviews. But since my team is always losing, she only interviews the other side which I could give two shits about.

The one big plus is that they actually say my name (or try to). It's just amazing that the game can read my last name and try to assign some vocal track to it. It's not exact, but it's very close to how caucasians would likely try to pronounce it. I was blown away by that.

foladar

I can't even load "my career" right now. It just stays on loading forever then crashes if I try to back out.

Right after I post that it appears to be working. I guess when their servers go down you can't play at all?

Yeah, I've had numerous times where it's kicked me because it's had an error reaching servers during my career.

Anyone know any good guides for how to play center and how to progress in myCareer? I'm totally lost out there as a casual basketball fan.

What are the strengths of your player?

What kind of player do you want to create
a Blocker, rebounder, inside, back to basket?

You should look at the skills of your player and what his job is and any points you earn contiue to build him on the core attributes which will enable you to have better games.

I'm playing it on 360 but have made a few C's over the years.

Hopefully I can help.

I'm really enjoying NBA2K14, but there are still problems with the MyPlayer career system. You start out gimped stat-wise and VC is a little too difficult/slow to come by so the game can be kind of a grind. Seems like they tie your own performance directly to your teams' so if you aren't playing at "A" level consistently, your team is pretty much guaranteed to lose (at least in my experience). Some of the goals seem unattainable unless your player rating is high. For example, my guy is rated 79 out of 100 and my rookie keeps getting put into situations where I can't meet the goal (like, "hey the team is down by 20 points, get us to within 10 or take the lead"). It sounds easy enough, but then one single mistake or missed opportunity on offense completely fucks up the momentum and the opposing team just drains everything or matches you point for point. I haven't won a single game yet and my player averages around a B rating. I can get 20+ points and 5 or more assists a game for my backup point guard role and the team still loses. It's kind of unrealistic and demoralizing. Also, the presentation seems to have cut corners from previous games. No cheerleaders or mascots, only a stat rundown during halftime, and the music gets repetitive very quickly. The trade off is that Doris Burke does sideline interviews. But since my team is always losing, she only interviews the other side which I could give two shits about.

The one big plus is that they actually say my name (or try to). It's just amazing that the game can read my last name and try to assign some vocal track to it. It's not exact, but it's very close to how caucasians would likely try to pronounce it. I was blown away by that.
I agree with all of this, it's not that fun to play.

HariKari

What are the strengths of your player?

What kind of player do you want to create
a Blocker, rebounder, inside, back to basket?

You should look at the skills of your player and what his job is and any points you earn contiue to build him on the core attributes which will enable you to have better games.

I'm playing it on 360 but have made a few C's over the years.

Hopefully I can help.

I went defensive for the specialization. I roughly understand what a center should be good at, and know not to dump points into irrelevant skills. I already have a point guard that I can score at will with, so I wanted to challenge myself with a role that isn't necessarily all about scoring.

I don't watch enough basketball to know what a good center should be doing with the ball or off the ball sometimes. Beyond rebounds, setting screens, general shot blocking/defense, and making yourself open down low I have no idea what to do.

I agree with all of this, it's not that fun to play.

This was my first basketball game in a long time. Once I started getting over 80 rating in some categories, the game opened up. Find your hot zones and work with your team. Some nights you aren't the star. I often blow leads for my team because I am not distributing the ball enough. I would also encourage new players to turn on auto plays. I don't think it's on by default, so the other players will be waiting on your cue to do everything. If you turn it on, they will run plays for/with each other, making the team less dependent on you.

Apollo

Banned
Does this game have the same gameplay problems as the ps3/360?

Such as, the gameplay mechanics not working. I could name 50 things wrong with it but to start, goaltending and blocking are retardedly unbalanced, it is unreasonably difficult to dunk the ball, shooting is completely random at times doesnt matter how perfect your release is.

All that and more...just look at operation sports. The game is a hot mess.

FootballFan

Has the success rate of shooting in traffic been toned down at all?
How about the 3 point shot percentages, have they also decreased?

This VC stuff is bull-fucking-shit. Fucking iOS style payment shit. I win a game well, get some kind of 0x0.5 multiplier because I actually want to have fun instead of having my clean post hook shots artificially miss due to difficulty being higher, and I get like 80 points. And the shit I want is like 1000 points. WTF is this shit!!

I paid a $60 pre-order, why are you trying to rape me with microtransactions, are you just jealous of how much I hate EA already 2k?!!!!

I'm playing the game on PC (got a free copy legitimately- as some of you know, I'm not a fan of how 2K has handled the PC SKU to say the least) so I don't get all the fancy bells and whistles (jealous of you guys playing on PS4-game looks amazing). Saying that, I've found my new favorite camera setting which is parametric.

Offense
2013-11-23_00001l2pij.jpg
On offense, it pretty much plays like 2K camera. Camera does swing a little when the ball is on the wing.

Defense
On defense,camera doesn't flip on change in possession so you're playing back to basket (more intuitive) and the game doesn't pause on steals or long rebounds (which can rob you of breakaway dunks).

The only drawback is that you have to reverse camera angle at halftime. Give it a try as everything feels so much more intuitive from this camera angle, especially defense.

Derrick01

Banned
Whoever told me the defense was much improved over last year's game was full of shit. I've got guys practically jogging by me as every player I use takes a second longer to start moving. It's like they're all wearing weights on their legs. Everything's so sluggish still.

Whoever told me the defense was much improved over last year's game was full of shit. I've got guys practically jogging by me as every player I use takes a second longer to start moving. It's like they're all wearing weights on their legs. Everything's so sluggish still.

Yup defense in this game is impossible. Also game locks up when trying to start a season.

I'm not having any issues on D. In fact I feel like I may get too many blocks. Are you using the right stick? L2? There's plenty of good options there.

DANGIT! I restarted my career cause I thought it was bugged...oh now i'm mad :mad:

Derrick01

Banned
I'm not having any issues on D. In fact I feel like I may get too many blocks. Are you using the right stick? L2? There's plenty of good options there.

I get lots of blocks but I can't actually stop anyone from running by me. That's part of the reason why I get so many blocks down low.

Zep

Banned
I would lay off the L2 button. The only time you should be using it is if the player begins to make his move by you. You can guard the perimeter just fine without using it (with or without turbo being held).

Practice that in a scrimmage.

CD'S BAR

been taking almost 10min just for it to register that it can't connect to the server before i can even get to the quick play menu. what the fug is going on with this game.

I went defensive for the specialization. I roughly understand what a center should be good at, and know not to dump points into irrelevant skills. I already have a point guard that I can score at will with, so I wanted to challenge myself with a role that isn't necessarily all about scoring.

I don't watch enough basketball to know what a good center should be doing with the ball or off the ball sometimes. Beyond rebounds, setting screens, general shot blocking/defense, and making yourself open down low I have no idea what to do.

Well it's sounds like your a doing everything right!

Just make the basket yours on the defensive end, stick to your man but make that paint yours. When you go for rebounds make sure you have your feet set and you will pull them down all the time.

Pulling down rebounds and setting screens will get you a good grade so just keep building on your key attributes.

This VC stuff is bull-fucking-shit. Fucking iOS style payment shit. I win a game well, get some kind of 0x0.5 multiplier because I actually want to have fun instead of having my clean post hook shots artificially miss due to difficulty being higher, and I get like 80 points. And the shit I want is like 1000 points. WTF is this shit!!

Just play other game modes for a bit and build that VC up and spend it on your player.

game is missing too many things/doing things wrong for it to be worth the $60+. The in game credit stuff/micro transactions is a huge offender.

originally thought the game was amazing when I first got it and played a quick match, but now I regret spending so much money on it :(

game is missing too many things/doing things wrong for it to be worth the $60+. The in game credit stuff/micro transactions is a huge offender.

originally thought the game was amazing when I first got it and played a quick match, but now I regret spending so much money on it :(

I feel the same way. For 60$? Probably not worth it imo especially with the VC Glitch in My Career right now. The always online thing irks me too. I would buy at 40$ though.

Saganator

When driving/flying to your next game, bump the difficulty up to Pro and set play style to Casual. I didn't notice much of a difference and now I at least get a x1.0 multiplier. When you have a good game you'll get 250-350 points.

HariKari

Has the success rate of shooting in traffic been toned down at all?
How about the 3 point shot percentages, have they also decreased?

I've got max attribute for traffic shooting and 85 in three point shooting. I can hit reliably from my hot zone (slightly to the right of the arc) but everything else is a lot harder. It's pretty easy to get open if you fake a drive and have a small defender. Just take a step back shot and they usually can't contest enough to make it matter, although I am running deadeye.

When driving/flying to your next game, bump the difficulty up to Pro and set play style to Casual. I didn't notice much of a difference and now I at least get a x1.0 multiplier. When you have a good game you'll get 250-350 points.

The social media challenges are the easiest to do. The other ingame crap like "score the next 10 points" arguably hurts your team and is out of your control most of the time. The grind is very, very slow in the beginning. I can stand playing on pro now so it's not as bad but I can see people getting frustrated with it and the VC system.

I get lots of blocks but I can't actually stop anyone from running by me. That's part of the reason why I get so many blocks down low.

play the 1-3-1 zone, take control of the power forward, and play the passing lanes/move towards the open guys. it's practically a cheat mode to play god tier defense in any 2k basketball game. change your defensive settings to so people switch up when using zone defense. i only have 2k13 but those have worked in every 3d 2k game ever.

it's only weak in that you don't defend the corners well, so play them with your PF, or if the other team is draining corner 3's like crazy use a 2-3 zone once in a while which will put a defender on each corner.

I've got max attribute for traffic shooting and 85 in three point shooting. I can hit reliably from my hot zone (slightly to the right of the arc) but everything else is a lot harder. It's pretty easy to get open if you fake a drive and have a small defender. Just take a step back shot and they usually can't contest enough to make it matter, although I am running deadeye.

The social media challenges are the easiest to do. The other ingame crap like "score the next 10 points" arguably hurts your team and is out of your control most of the time. The grind is very, very slow in the beginning. I can stand playing on pro now so it's not as bad but I can see people getting frustrated with it and the VC system.

So if I play it on easy or whatever is under pro, I shouldn't have a hard time as a starter? Because I always play on pro or superstar but this VC stuff got me all fucked up. I still mad that I didn't receive an email about my points

HariKari

So if I play it on easy or whatever is under pro, I shouldn't have a hard time as a starter? Because I always play on pro or superstar but this VC stuff got me all fucked up. I still mad that I didn't receive an email about my points

Unfortunately the game has a difficulty multiplier for the VC stuff. So if you are playing rookie, you get half as many VC as you would if you were playing pro. Playing higher probably gives you a 2 or 3 multiplier. Good if you are good at the game. On pro a good game is anywhere from 200-600, depending on what challenges you are issued and if you completed them. A piece of gear like a stat boosting sleeve is 3-5k from the player store. So get your important stats up to 80 + before you start putting swag on your guy. You get a 5,000 VC bonus for being drafted with your first player if I remember right. If I want to farm VC, I'll play my MyGM file and sim the games. Easy income.

My guy didn't start turning in consistent A games (teammate rating matters more than performance usually) until I could reliably steal/pick off passes and score points in the paint as a 6'3 PG. Assists give a nice boost but you are at the mercy of your shooters, who almost never take one even if they are wide open. So I end up force feeding it to my center, leading to bad passes or straight up drops.

I've noticed the AI on my team will hardly ever block or contest shots in my own end. Maybe the center. But the opposing team will always try to block/contest, even if it's the smallest guy on the floor. It can make the game frustrating.

That being said, when you get into a matchup where you and the AI are roughly equal in skill level, the game can have some amazing moments. Nothing quite like clawing your way out of a 20 point deficit in the 4th quarter in front of the home crowd, winning on a buzzer beater from a guy who did nothing all game for you.

anddo0

I can't play this game anymore, The ball physics are broken. I'm sick of the ball bouncing off of players faces and backs. The passes that are thrown away for no good (especially on fastbreaks)The ball warping all over the place. It's a real game breaker for me.

How the hell do you dunk in this game? My player only lays up. I have 80 dunk and Michael Jordan historic dunks equipped and he still doesn't dunk? Anyone?

im stuck at make 20 quality shots. None of my shots are registering. I bought this game and BF4, both have glitches that are making me regret jumping in next gen so early. how the fuck can these companies not check these stupid glitches before releasing their product.

Ryu1999

im stuck at make 20 quality shots. None of my shots are registering. I bought this game and BF4, both have glitches that are making me regret jumping in next gen so early. how the fuck can these companies not check these stupid glitches before releasing their product.

I came to post the exact same problem. Good to know its not an isolated incident!

Are the servers down or something? I can't play my career mode dammit. Getting a message that says "this save requires an active connection to the 2k servers". I'm definitely connected to the internet. First time I've seen this.

edit: nm it's working again

weevles

My issues with MyCareer continue. The AI is so arbitrary in determining your performance. In one game, my backup point guard kept the game close, getting more teammates involved with pick and rolls and screens, assists and defense. My rating was "fair" because I held up on scoring and my team mates were doing a good job of making shots and getting to the line. By the fourth quarter, we were real close and I ended up scoring the last couple of baskets, including an assist for the game winner. My stats weren't great, but my play lead to one of the few wins we've had.

The very next cut scene was the coach on my ass for not contributing enough--WTF??? The game just doesn't get the whole picture and I feel like the season is overly scripted. It almost seems like I'm supposed to get called out on a game no matter how well the team does which doesn't make any damn sense. When I break out for big points and stats, we invariably lose, so this really fucks up the whole system for me.

vpance

I wish My Career wasn't inflicted with this VC system, or at least give me some better stats to start off with. I guess half of it is me being a newb to this series but it's pretty tough. I'm playing on Pro and default settings.

Best I could muster so far is B- in game, lol. I started taking less shots cuz my guys rating is still in the crapper.

$20 for 80k VC from the store... hmm. Nah.

vpance

I came to post the exact same problem. Good to know its not an isolated incident!

I just did this one yesterday. Are your shots going in at least? I wonder how much screen lag plays into getting the shot timing right. I'm playing on an S60.

Top Bottom