• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

Start the 4th quarter, coach asks me to get the lead, 7 points down, make some assists and convert on an 'and-one' get benched, other teams wins.

Seems about right.

Ryu1999

I just did this one yesterday. Are your shots going in at least? I wonder how much screen lag plays into getting the shot timing right. I'm playing on an S60.

My shots go in, but not registering. I made 5 shots in a row, and its still showing 0/20.

My issues with MyCareer continue. The AI is so arbitrary in determining your performance. In one game, my backup point guard kept the game close, getting more teammates involved with pick and rolls and screens, assists and defense. My rating was "fair" because I held up on scoring and my team mates were doing a good job of making shots and getting to the line. By the fourth quarter, we were real close and I ended up scoring the last couple of baskets, including an assist for the game winner. My stats weren't great, but my play lead to one of the few wins we've had.

The very next cut scene was the coach on my ass for not contributing enough--WTF??? The game just doesn't get the whole picture and I feel like the season is overly scripted. It almost seems like I'm supposed to get called out on a game no matter how well the team does which doesn't make any damn sense. When I break out for big points and stats, we invariably lose, so this really fucks up the whole system for me.

Yea I score more than half the starters most of the time and the game gives me zilch for VC and I usually get a "fair" or "poor" performance. The mode is fun, I just wish it worked better.

weevles

Yeah, when everything clicks, the game is just awesome awesome awesome.

But I've been finding that there's just too much "you gotta earn the minutes" bullshit. I know you start out as a rook and have to deal with shit, but it gets fucking ridiculous with the drama. I just finished a game where everybody played like shit. I scored 20 points with 4 assists, despite the game denying a lot of my close looks (I bricked and rimed out numerous times) and I still got chewed out. I get this cut scene where coach says "I know I put you into a situation where the team was in a big hole, but I'm disappointed because you didn't win the game for us You have to make the most of these situations and if you continue like this, I'm going to cut your minutes". Wat the ever loving fuck??? I score more than the starters and I still get beat down. The "realism" really takes a lot of the fun out of the game.

Also, there is waaaaayyyy too much goaltending that gets called.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Does the PS4 version require the Eye to call plays and get technicals? Or can i just use the headset?

weevles

I don't wanna play "The Park". It interrupts the flow of the game progression. I appreciate opportunites to earn VC, but the game is way too stingy on it to begin with. I feel like the game is definitely pushing players towards having to buy VC or spend money for it. SMH.

It's even worse because your coach will come down on you for not doing well enough, but your rival, teammates, social media and your agent talk about how great you've been doing.

This glitch in a cutscene was pretty funny though.
2rlzIrh.jpg

weevles

Haha I've seen that glitch where the game doubles up on the background players.

As much as I bag on the game, it says a lot that I'm still motivated to continue playing.

MyCareer seems like much more of a grind this year than I remember from previous years.

I just wish they would lighten up a little. I feel like spinning wheels sometimes.

You really need to temper your expectations...I'm starting to get used to the fact that my team will probably lose the game and I will get ragged no matter how well I do. I played another game just now against the Pacers and lost by two points. I scored over 20 again, but the game docked me really hard on various little things so I ended up with just a C grade. SMH....

RyuHei

looks beautiful for me. My biggest issue is the horrible loading time. Streaming from HDD and still super slow. Is it the OEM HDD or the badly coded game? Having fun though

The game doesn't do a great job of communicating its expectations. I stopped worrying so much about the grading. It doesn't seem to me to be connected at all to your good/fair/poor performance rating at the end of a game, it's only a modifier for how well you're playing "team basketball." I'm almost positive that I have had a GOOD game with a C+ rating because I went after a social media challenge to score 20. It's a nice bonus to get some coin for a B+ in a game where you didn't put up many points but made good decisions in setting screens and ball movement, but I highly doubt immeasurables like that are going to earn a guy a starting spot on an NBA roster. The scriptedness of it is jarring at times though.

Not sure why you guys are losing so much on Pro difficulty. Are you playing on miserable teams? My literal first game of 2k was the Rookie Showcase, where I was middling at best, and I didn't get picked until 26 by the Wolves. The team isn't outrageous, but they are certainly competent and manage to score points without my help.

For the quality shot glitch: are you guys shooting within the means of your player? (I'm a noob at basketball games, if this is a "Is it plugged in?" sort of question) I had that challenge and it taught me some things about the system because my dude is a slashing guard without 3P proficiency and it didn't give me credit for taking those shots. Just a thought. I feel bad that people are having so much trouble, because the game has been treating me really well.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
The whole my career aspect of this game leaves so much to be desired. I appreciate that they have added more dialogue but the added dialogue repeats itself several times over the course of a season. For me I'm in January or so and "Bob in Maintenance" birthday has happened 4 times in this 3 month period.

The gameplay is god though and that's what we always say right gameplay matters. I like the game and the way it plays but I hope they continue to flesh out my player since it's my favorite mode. It's basically unchanged other than dialogue options since '11

Any tips on how to be good at this game?

I only played exhibition games and don't know the controls all that well.

Last nba game I played was nba jam

Getting an A+ game as a center is stupid easy. Set a few good picks, play solud reactionary defense, blocks come in boatloads.

I imagine it can be just as easy when you learm your position and role. A lot you guys seem to want to be the star as a rookie. It just doesnt work like that

weevles

The grading can be a big part of earning more VC, especially when your team constantly loses like mine (I'm on the Jazz). I'm about given up on having a good season. I'm guessing I'm going to get traded or I will find a way to get traded.

Takuan

The whole my career aspect of this game leaves so much to be desired. I appreciate that they have added more dialogue but the added dialogue repeats itself several times over the course of a season. For me I'm in January or so and "Bob in Maintenance" birthday has happened 4 times in this 3 month period.

The gameplay is god though and that's what we always say right gameplay matters. I like the game and the way it plays but I hope they continue to flesh out my player since it's my favorite mode. It's basically unchanged other than dialogue options since '11
Ive gotten the "Bob in maintenance" scene 3 times in the last 5 games or so. The last time that cutscene came up, I asked for a trade. I also get the pre game cutscene with your agent where he tells you how good things are going pretty often.

I've been playing my career exclusively and it does seem very scripted. Getting minutes cut back after huge performances, getting increased minutes after middling ones, getting benched when the game is within reach and having it end in a blowout... all of it points to a script. In spite of the flaws, I'm still having a good time learning the ropes. Still finding it difficult to create my own shot, there are times where it looks like I've got my defender beat but my guy is so damned slow that the d recovers. I'm a point guard, where are my quicks?? I know it's possible to explode because I've seen the cpu do it, but I just can't seem to get the burst. Then there are times where I can clumsily barge through to the hoop and get the bucket + foul. A player know knows the controls would murder me online, that's for certain.

Regarding player rating, I tend not to force anything unless a dynamic goal demands it. I set good picks, pass to teammates who want the ball, look for bigs, and look for open shots. That earns a fair rating most games, good in some. Maybe it's easier to do these things as a point guard?

Last thing, I agree that the game is downright stingy with the VC. My best performance only earned me 400 something. I'm only rated 72 overall.

MyPlayer needs to learn how to stand still. He won't stop moving in every cutscene. I think something is legitimately wrong with him (addiction? could that be an unlockable story line?).

vpance

I'm a point guard, where are my quicks?? I know it's possible to explode because I've seen the cpu do it, but I just can't seem to get the burst.

What's your quickness rating at? Playing regular games as a real point guard then coming back to my player is like a night and day difference in feel.

My shots go in, but not registering. I made 5 shots in a row, and its still showing 0/20.

I just try to release the shot right after blue circle flashes. I was getting A+'s fairly consistently no matter what kind of shot it was.

HariKari

I'm a point guard, where are my quicks?? I know it's possible to explode because I've seen the cpu do it, but I just can't seem to get the burst. Then there are times where I can clumsily barge through to the hoop and get the bucket + foul. A player know knows the controls would murder me online, that's for certain.

You pretty much have to start your three step move before you get too close to the hoop. Otherwise your guy just tries a crappy short shot.

Regarding player rating, I tend not to force anything unless a dynamic goal demands it. I set good picks, pass to teammates who want the ball, look for bigs, and look for open shots. That earns a fair rating most games, good in some. Maybe it's easier to do these things as a point guard?

Point guard has the ball a lot more, usually. The thing that really builds your teammate rating is your passing and shooting rating. What is a 'bad' or neutral shot for a 72 overall player might be rewarded as a 'good' shot for my 83. When every shot you take, hit or miss, is adding to your rating, it's easy to build it up. I'm currently leading the league in scoring and I'm on the Suns, so as PG I'm stuck behind Bledsoe. Even though I get more minutes and am crazy more effective when PG, he still plays half the game as PG and I'm stuck at SG.

Defense like contesting shots adds to rating immensely. The biggest routine swing you can have is a stolen pass for a quick score. It's usually steal + score off turnover + good shot selection.

The thing that pisses me off most is when the game punishes me for turnovers that are terrible teammates hands, or 'allowing your man to score' when there's fucking three other guys in the paint on my team before he lays it in.

Make sure you are using personality badges. I thought they were animations but they are actually like signature skills that boost certain aspects of your player. I'm new to the franchise so maybe that's obvious to regulars but I thought it was a nice touch. I am currently running Swagger + Volume Shooter + Defensive Anchor.

I have also never seen the computer miss a floater in 50+ hours of gameplay. It's bullshit.

Last thing, I agree that the game is downright stingy with the VC. My best performance only earned me 400 something. I'm only rated 72 overall.

You get various big payouts for endorsements. The Jordan/Nike choice was 9k free VC. Key games and social media are where you want to put in the most effort.

ohNOitsRO

Bring my team back down from 6 with about 2 and a half minutes left..

Hit the game tying three pointer to send it into overtime..

Stay on the bench the entire overtime cause you know, coaching and shit..

And of course we lose..

Thanks Stotts.. PUT ME IN COACH

wowlace

The grading can be a big part of earning more VC, especially when your team constantly loses like mine (I'm on the Jazz). I'm about given up on having a good season. I'm guessing I'm going to get traded or I will find a way to get traded.

Dat Jazz are super shit realism.

Guys if you want VC/EXP you gotta play D. Just concentrate on locking down your direct opponent. Don't go for swats, just put the hand in the face and box out.

DietRob

Jazz wanted to draft me told them to suck it. Ended up with Portland. That said I'm pretty sure I've never seen anyone that was not drafted to either Portland, Jazz, or Kings. No matter how good or shitty you do in the rookie game.

Am I wrong?

HariKari

None of the good teams want you early on, because it goes by rating as far as I can tell. Anyone who has a player or two at your position with a better rating won't want you. I got tossed from the Hawks to the Pelicans to the Suns. The only way I can get assists, even with the dimer perk, is if I just keep force feeding the center. No one else will take a shot, even if they are open by a country mile. It's so frustrating that there's no call for shot feature in the game beyond the crappy voice commands.

Jazz wanted to draft me told them to suck it. Ended up with Portland. That said I'm pretty sure I've never seen anyone that was not drafted to either Portland, Jazz, or Kings. No matter how good or shitty you do in the rookie game.

Am I wrong?

My center got drafted to the 76ers, and I did nothing in the rookie game. If you tank everything you can go much later to a better team.

Apollo

Banned
how the hell did this game get such high reviews? It's a complete mess of glitches and bugs and the only thing worth playing is Quick matches. These guys still have us playing on outdated rosters. 2K moneyhatting reviewers.

DietRob

My center got drafted to the 76ers, and I did nothing in the rookie game. If you tank everything you can go much later to a better team.

Yep, makes sense. I'm just biding my time and hoping to get traded to the Cavs and bring them the title that Bron never did. Cavs are really weak at SF my guy will be a great fit.

weevles

Make sure they are jump shots and not lay ins, dunks, or finger rolls.

Playing D alone won't always help your stats, especially if your matchup is lop-sided. As a 72 point guard, I'm going to get burned by the better, faster guards at least a couple of times per game whether I want it or not. Sometimes, they'll get it off the pick, even in isolation just because my rating puts me a step behind most of the time.

I didn't want the Jazz, but I just played along. I wanted to go first round, and that's one of the few teams that will take you unless you really are that good.

Let me repeat: this game has a lot of problems to be sure, especially in MyCareer mode, but when it all clicks, the experience is bar none. It can be super fun to play, and there were quite a few fist pumps, shouts, and "WHOOOHOOO!"s to go with the swearing and near controller-throwing lol.

wowlace

No shit you go to crap teams when you get drafted, did I say anything but? That's how the lottery works.

I always keep asking for trades until I get to DC cause they are my team.

I'm still waiting for the goddamn PS4 to get released here so I haven't played 2K14 yet, but in 13 I was winning championships by my third season.

Learn to play D and make sure you do well in the 2x EXP games.

weevles

Why why why does the game force me to go to The Park? I don't want to, and it's annoying as heck to keep having to cancel out of it.

This game is so frustrating. It's like the devs took as many opportunities as they could to take fun or logical shit out of the game.

What sucks is that this is best hoops game on the market, so I'm not sure what incentive can be presented to make the shit parts of the game better.

DietRob

So I took my lunch to play a little NBA2k and noticed that save uploads failed because my 2k savefile is a Gig.

Yes, my save file is 1024mb. What in the shit?

ST2K

That said I'm pretty sure I've never seen anyone that was not drafted to either Portland, Jazz, or Kings.

My point was drafted by the Pelicans. My center was drafted by the Jazz.

Anyway, question for you guys. As a center, I'm doing really well on offense, and fairly well on defense, yet I suck at rebounding. I'm 7'[2 and have good vertical and rebounding stats, so that's not an issue. But even when I box someone out and try to grab a board someone else always darts in and grabs it, or my guy will jump up and completely miss the board. Is there a trick to rebounding I'm missing out on? I was a beast at rebounding in 2K11, but now I suck.

newsguy

Why why why does the game force me to go to The Park? I don't want to, and it's annoying as heck to keep having to cancel out of it.

This game is so frustrating. It's like the devs took as many opportunities as they could to take fun or logical shit out of the game.

What sucks is that this is best hoops game on the market, so I'm not sure what incentive can be presented to make the shit parts of the game better.

I'm at a point in my career where I have to go to the park. Unfortunately, the park is completely broken for me and hasn't worked once since launch. So I'm stuck and can't progress. Thanks Obama.

led4lyfe

Mycareer is a lot of fun, I have a center and its around January (I'm 73 ovr play around 28 minutes for the cavs). The only issue I have playing is rebounding, I can score 30 points + easy by just posting up and hitting a fadeaway. I box my guy out but I'm always out if position or I lose it to my teammate (Irving always steals them!!) I have offense and defense rebound at 85...is their another stat that I need to boost?? The most rebounds I've gotten is 4, assists are the same story as my teammates don't shoot when I pass them wide open looks!

Most frustrating game I had was against the clippers. I played end of the first (score 6 points and two minutes) and all of the second. I was able to push the lead to 30 entering halftime. I was benched the entire 3rd, which my team was outscored 45-2. I came off the bench in the fourth down by 10+ and was asked to get the lead back, which I couldn't get done. Chris Paul was jacking up impossible threes and hitting them every time.

Post Patch has ruined this game for me. Nov. 15, 2013 was a great day to play this game. It played like a dream and once the patch went live, it killed everything about this game. Rebounding, defense, and much more.

This sounds similar to NBA2K13 then. It took me awhile to get rid of the C type games and begin getting a lot of A-B games.

It is not about scoring but it is about ...

1.) Take quality shots

2.) make quality passes, not bad passes

3.) do some type of spectacular play

4.) Call a play and follow the design to a T

5.) Call good screens / set good screens

There were times in a game I would be the star of the game and get a C because I made bad passes, took bad shots, etc. Even though I scored a ton, I was also the lead in shooting by 15-20 shots, most of those bad. Call plays on the floor and follows them to a T and you will gain even more on your score meter and the coach loves that type of thing.

Like, a spectacular play would be cutting off a passing lane of an opponent, and running down the floor to lob a pass to your teammate for a highlight dunk. Coach goes nuts for that type of thing, atleast he did in NBA2K13. Something as simple as calling quality double teams got me in the good graces with my coach early on in my career.

CSX

Sweet. Any idea if the PS4 and XB1 versions are pretty much identical visually/performance wise?

There was a quick not full comparison article on DF I believe. Mentioned both are 1080p/60fps but XB1 has no AA. Some gaffer made a gif showing off the lack of AA on the crowd. Not pretty lol

welcome to the digital future

javale mcgee's AI clearly requires the power of the cloud in order to function at a similar to lifelike rate

so fucked up. maybe these publishers were anticipating always online DRM and built the game around it?

this is downright offensive.

dengatron

I finally started winning almost every single game, but it doesn't mean I'm not frustrated along the way. My teammates are bumbling idiots. Passing the ball to each other when they're facing away and bouncing it off of backs or throwing it completely out of bounds happens at least 5 times a game. Luckily I'm rocking 4 steals a game to make up for this but it's really annoying to have a coach goal to bring the lead down and watch your team throw the ball right to the other team possession after possession.

Seems like some seriously mixed reviews on this one? Worth getting with the spend 60 get 10 credit deal going on? I'm almost done with ACIV.

After renting this, I feel like I would not pay full price for this, and I want to see what improvements they make on the next game. Hopefully increasing the mobility of the player so you can actually play defense, town down how easy to loose the basketball is, removing the online drm, making the credits system less bullshit etc.

meanspartan

Is there no way to simulate games? This is my second 2k game, my first being last year's 2k13 on PC, which had a "play next key game" option.

I love the gameplay but I don't have time to play every single game of a 20 year career lol.

I get the sinking feeling that 2k knows that early on when your stats are low it is tough to get VC to level up your player. I hope they didn't take out simulating (unless I'm missing it somewhere) in order to "entice" people to buy VC with real money. Uggh.

DietRob

Is there no way to simulate games? This is my second 2k game, my first being last year's 2k13 on PC, which had a "play next key game" option.

I love the gameplay but I don't have time to play every single game of a 20 year career lol.

I get the sinking feeling that 2k knows well that early on when your stats are low thanks to being a rook it is tough to get VC to level up your character. I hope they didn't take out simulating (unless I'm missing it somewhere) in order to "entice" people to buy VC with real money. Uggh.

I can't seem to find simulating career games either. I don't think it's in there. I might be wrong though because the UI is terrible.

knee

Is there a way to dunk on command? This was possible back in NBA2K8, but not sure about subsequent version. I have been in dunk range, directly under the rim many times-- only to get a layup that misses. This also happens while holding R2.

Also, are there any remedies for online matches? It seems like the ball is knocked loose with every other offensive rebound.

Top Bottom