• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

Smokey

Broke Chamberlain's single game record by spamming threes from my hot zone, defender or no defender. Even playing zone with the defensive anchor perk my team still gets turnstiled by anyone remotely talented. I don't really get it.

Is there any way to call for your team to crash the glass? They all stand around the perimeter waiting for passes when it's clear I'm just going to launch it most times.

Left d pad choose crash glass

L1+icon of the player you want to call a play for. It will bring up a box with numerous plays.

I'd also suggest going into the options menu and turning play art from lite -> full. This way you can see the full play outlined on the hardwood as it develops. Another helpful hint is to to go into options, press L2, and turn defensive assist to 50. It might be at 0 by default.

Excellent suggestions. I'll give it a shot later today.

I'm really enjoying the game, even though my performance so far in "My Career" has been reminiscent of Kwame Brown.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Getting incredibly frustrated with this game.

Three straight times booting the game, three straight hangs at the menu screen. I'm about done.

Amory

So when do they quit with this contrived "you're a rookie, so I'm cutting your minutes" bullshit and finally let me start?

I'm averaging 30 a game!

Lexxism

Do 2k even make sure the game is working 100% or they're just busy counting the money they are going to receive? It kept getting crash and already filed 3 errors on this to sony. My friend is also having the same issues zzzz

Takuan

So when do they quit with this contrived "you're a rookie, so I'm cutting your minutes" bullshit and finally let me start?

I'm averaging 30 a game!

Lord knows, but based on all the feedback here it seems obvious that this is mostly a linear, scripted mode that ignores your player's performance. My Career really amounts to a poorly executed game mode that is saved by solid gameplay mechanics.

Do 2k even make sure the game is working 100% or they're just busy counting the money they are going to receive? It kept getting crash and already filed 3 errors on this to sony. My friend is also having the same issues zzzz
I'm glad I haven't yet run into these sorts of issues. I did run into a problem with getting The Park to load the one time I tried to check it (perpetual loading, had to force close the application), but I haven't bothered trying again because I'd rather play MC.

I'm gonna guess 2K is too busy counting that cheddar.

weevles

I have not noticed any game-breaking bugs (knock on wood), just minor graphical glitches (like duplicate player textures being used in cut scenes). MyCareer is quite a complicated mode of the game, but I really do wish it wasn't so scripted and heavy-handed with the "crap on the rookie" mentality, especially when it comes to handing out VC. The game was always overly harsh and arbitrary with the way it handled the teammate grading system, but it seems significantly worse this year to me. It's lame when you do everything right for your position and still get bagged on, shorted on minutes or just kept off the starting lineup. I mean, there's realism, and there's fun and IMO video games need to lean towards fun.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Getting incredibly frustrated with this game.

Three straight times booting the game, three straight hangs at the menu screen. I'm about done.

Wtf...this just started happening to me too. The game just keeps loading the files prior to the menu.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Anyone else get stuck on the title screen and it just says "Loading Files"? I can't do anything.

Yes. I just left it alone for 3 minutes and it finally loaded up.

2K was pushing some bullshit Black Friday announcement to the game, instead of loading the menu screen. I cleared that away and it went to the menu,

Spacebar

Yes. I just left it alone for 3 minutes and it finally loaded up.

2K was pushing some bullshit Black Friday announcement to the game, instead of loading the menu screen. I cleared that away and it went to the menu,

Thanks, I'll let it sit and see what happens.

Double D

Anyone else get stuck on the title screen and it just says "Loading Files"? I can't do anything.

Same. Guess I'll let it sit and see what happens. Kinda excited to play after my dumbass just discovered that the right stick isn't just for shooting and actually does dribbling moves.

CRA5H

holy crap my online storage on PS+ was full of userdata and nbatoday files. It filled up my whole storage! 900Mb+ worth. Is this normal? I ended up deleting it all because it doesn't seem to be overwriting the files. What the heck?

BlindRage

Playing on x1 as a PG, just got drafted to the bucks. Haven't even played in the first two games, give me some play coach. I'll average a double double every night.

NoTacos

Playing on x1 as a PG, just got drafted to the bucks. Haven't even played in the first two games, give me some play coach. I'll average a double double every night.

Yeah no more minutes off the bench like previous games its gonna be a while till you get even 10 minutes.

Also be careful what invitations you accept from teammates, some can turn out bad and take mins away

knee

Post up and post drive to the basket vs any cpu defender. Force him to play on ball.

Then post drive on him too.

This worked for the most part, so thanks for, uhmmm.... posting that

A few more online games have made me realize that there are some really messed up things in 2K14. Most people I've come across just run/jump into players just to try to jar the ball loose-- especially in the post. Is there no way to protect the ball any better? It seems like there's no penalty for jumping early in online games. There are also a ton of passing lane deflections and passes seem to move the targets even though the left stick is neutral.

Also, I think the 3 point make percentage is too high. NBA players are very good, but the avg. seems closer to NBA Jam this time around. The game looks great, but I don't think it's as great as past NBA 2K titles.

bender

What time is it?

It's all scripted. Brandon Knight will get hurt in game three and you'll start to get regular minutes.

Spacebar

So I went and played some Killzone for a while and came back to 2k. I'm still getting the title screen "Loading Files" issue. It's been sitting here for 10 mins now. WTF 2k!

EDIT: Finally! After 12 mins the menu loads.

Am I the only one that thinks this game is not some kind of 9 or 10 out of 10 in visuals. Still has quite a ways to go imo. Looks good but nothing special for me. They can go so much more with the models and courts. And why the hell is the Bulls' red color still fucked up at times? Is this some kind of weird color timing issue because the bull isn't supposed to be pink and it appeared like that in shots again as it was on the other consoles. Why the hell is the bull borderline pink still? I have to shift my tint on this game to make it right and that should never be happening. I have a calibrated set.

They really need to get team colors and actual court colors down in this game because they are pretty off if you ask me in some cases.

HariKari

It's all scripted. Brandon Knight will get hurt in game three and you'll start to get regular minutes.

There's a scripted everything. It was fun until the Jackson Ellis 1v1 thing after my first year. You'll rage at it when you come to it. You can score at a 50 ppg pace and the GM will still yell at you if the team is losing. Ridiculous. I'm on the first plane outta there once my contract is up.

The game keeps giving me a challenge to beat Chris Paul and show him I'm not afraid, but no matter what I do it won't give it to me. And Paul's name shows up as a bunch of asterisks on the twitter feed thing.

Game is buggy as hell.

Right? I'm stuck at work so I can't try the tutorial right now, but went on youtube and started watching some instructional videos. After playing for two days, I just learned that the right stick is for doing special dribbling moves. I'm pretty sure the one time I tried to use the right stick it shot the ball, so now I'm utterly confused.

The right stick shoots the ball and also does crossovers and whatnot? My brain is full of fuck.

Yep, the same happened to me lol.

Haven't played one of these before and man I'm terrible. I've got idea how to get into the paint. Is there anything I can watch our read up on?

Double D

Haven't played one of these before and man I'm terrible. I've got idea how to get into the paint. Is there anything I can watch our read up on?

Go to NBA Today, hit circle, then select the tutorial. I just discovered it today and have been doing way better.

weevles

Damn, some problem connecting to 2K servers. Can't get to the main menu either.

Kind of sucks that this game won't load until it communicates online. It's dat DRM lol.

Took about 5 min to get the BF MOTD. I don't like this.

BadRNG

What did you guys do when asked to move to another agent? Did you leave or stay with your friend?
Haven't actually been able to pick any options, but seen three or four cutscenes about him. Whenever I actually get a chance I'm telling the slimeball to get lost.

I'm more worried about whether or not I missed a huge opportunity not paying for production of that vampires in alaska movie. In retrospect perhaps I was too hasty declining the director's offer.

This worked for the most part, so thanks for, uhmmm.... posting that

A few more online games have made me realize that there are some really messed up things in 2K14. Most people I've come across just run/jump into players just to try to jar the ball loose-- especially in the post. Is there no way to protect the ball any better? It seems like there's no penalty for jumping early in online games. There are also a ton of passing lane deflections and passes seem to move the targets even though the left stick is neutral.

Also, I think the 3 point make percentage is too high. NBA players are very good, but the avg. seems closer to NBA Jam this time around. The game looks great, but I don't think it's as great as past NBA 2K titles.

If you would rather not hit jumpshots, play on HOF Simulation.

When you attack the basket, double tap square for hop step moves. You will draw lots of fouls.

Make sure you have a clear lane, because you can double tap and will not move because a defender is stuck on your hip.

Hold turbo and double tap square for spin lay ups.

Without turbo, drive and double tap square for euro lay ups.

Lexxism

Haven't actually been able to pick any options, but seen three or four cutscenes about him. Whenever I actually get a chance I'm telling the slimeball to get lost.

I'm more worried about whether or not I missed a huge opportunity not paying for production of that vampires in alaska movie. In retrospect perhaps I was too hasty declining the director's offer.

I picked my friend in that scene and my national fans went down :lol

muteant

so i downloaded this game this evening, the download took a good two hours or so. my connection speed is fine when i test it via the ps4 network settings page (2.1mb). since booting the game up for the first time, the install has been inching along at about 1% every fifteen minutes (it started at 11%; it's now at 26%). i'm able to play "quick matches" but i'm tired of looking at LBJ's mug. i tried closing the "application," waiting for a while, and restarting, to no avail. even turned the system off and rebooted; no better.

some other people on this thread mentioned similar problems; is there a solution? or do i just have to wait? if the latter, the word I believe is ridiculous.

Fuck 2K for this online drm, I don't know when they started it but I unfortunately won't be buying a 2K game until it's different. Broke a 7 point lead in a comeback vs the sixers (rivals team) and my wi-fi goes out, so I get kicked out of my OFFLINE game. Can't beleive they snuck this shit in.

Jackson Ellis is broken as well, dude can drain 3's from anywhere on the arc regardless of intense-d.

Jonm1010

Banned
Also am I missing it but I just started MyGM and it doesn't appear there is anyway to train individual players throughout the season like in previous editions I've played?

Why did they take this out? and is it only taken out on next gen?

If so on any of that thats really lame.

HariKari

Also am I missing it but I just started MyGM and it doesn't appear there is anyway to train individual players throughout the season like in previous editions I've played?

Why did they take this out? and is it only taken out on next gen?

If so on any of that thats really lame.

You can spend VC during 'training camp' before the next season starts. Prices are generally outrageous (about 1k per camp) so it's not worth it.

CRA5H

What the heck?

NBA 2K14 keeps uploading my user data, nbatoday, and saveslot3 to my PS+ online storage! Its not even overwriting the damn files and its filled up my whole online storage! 900MB worth of uploaded data!

This is only happening for NBA2K14 and not any other game. WTF is going on?

Is anyone else having this problem?

Top Bottom