• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

scoobs

Agree with people saying the MyCareer stuff is less than great. Still fun as shit to play, but holy crap is it poorly written/acted/executed

Ilive1up

so, do you people actually run plays and stuff? i feel like it's so janky, unless i'm doing it wrong.

i started a GM mode as Golden State. lost my first two games (playing on all-star). just gotta keep playing and getting better.

Spinluck

How the fuck do you consistently beat man D when they're in "Play Physical" mode? Whether it's the CPU or my friends denying someone off the ball, and letting a CPU man me.

I can get by sometimes, but it's a little annoying when a back up PG is keeping me (Kobe) away from the basket. A lot of the times I times a try anything I lose the ball. But then he'll run the train on two of my bigs with Steph Curry smh. It hurts mang.

I'm a decent player, not great. It also sucks when I get the ball and no one on offense is moving lol. I have to constantly set up picks and use the give and go. Having them cut to the basket for alley's works occasionally, but a lot of the times, I'm afraid to pass a lot cause my friends seem to snatch that shit up. Even when they're out of position.

so, do you people actually run plays and stuff? i feel like it's so janky, unless i'm doing it wrong.

i started a GM mode as Golden State. lost my first two games (playing on all-star). just gotta keep playing and getting better.

Yeah, that's Golden State Warriors.

i hope you made your seasons short unless you like simming games (or playing 82 before you can get to one playoff series) ;)

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Has anyone had a GM reject 2 trade proposals in a row and had him tell you to not bother calling, as he won't even answer? And if so, any idea how long they'll ignore you? I had this happen to me, lol.

bender

What time is it?
Scored 50 points tonight. Dorris, in the post game interview, started at 20 and went through every incremental voice sample all the way to 60. Longest question ever.

How the fuck do you consistently beat man D when they're in "Play Physical" mode? Whether it's the CPU or my friends denying someone off the ball, and letting a CPU man me.

I can get by sometimes, but it's a little annoying when a back up PG is keeping me (Kobe) away from the basket. A lot of the times I times a try anything I lose the ball. But then he'll run the train on two of my bigs with Steph Curry smh. It hurts mang.

I'm a decent player, not great. It also sucks when I get the ball and no one on offense is moving lol. I have to constantly set up picks and use the give and go. Having them cut to the basket for alley's works occasionally, but a lot of the times, I'm afraid to pass a lot cause my friends seem to snatch that shit up. Even when they're out of position.

Post up and post drive to the basket vs any cpu defender. Force him to play on ball.

Then post drive on him too.

Roxas

So, i got the PS3 version of the game today, but there is no code for the PS4 upgrade included? Is this normal? Is there another way to get the upgrade? (Im in UK)

What's going on with this? Won't even load the menu. The whole area is blank

I've listened to Started From The Bottom maybe 4 times straight waiting

I can never get the camera angle in mycareer to permanently change to what I want, even though it tells me it will save my camera settings when I change it in game.

Ocelott

So, i got the PS3 version of the game today, but there is no code for the PS4 upgrade included? Is this normal? Is there another way to get the upgrade? (Im in UK)

This was not one of the games for the Upgrade program...Why didn't you just buy the ps4 version?

The lack of online association makes me sad... since they took the time to get their monetized ultimate-team-wannabe going.

There's also some whack ass bugs.

But... I played with 6 friends online and no one got DC'd and it didn't lag. NEXT GEN!!!

knee

Is there a way to dunk on command? This was possible back in NBA2K8, but not sure about subsequent version. I have been in dunk range, directly under the rim many times-- only to get a layup that misses. This also happens while holding R2.

Also, are there any remedies for online matches? It seems like the ball is knocked loose with every other offensive rebound.

Anyone? It's even like this with Dwight Howard. The last 2K that I played a lot of was 2K11

BadAss2961

The thing that makes the game hard is the undisciplined defense and terrible rebounding the AI plays for the user.

Try going to the coaching section in MyGM and doing some scrimmages against your opponents before you actually play them. Learn their weaknesses and how to play defense against them. Once you get an idea of how to get turnovers and stops, you'll be much better at the game.
Anyone? It's even like this with Dwight Howard. The last 2K that I played a lot of was 2K11

Standing dunks are a lot less frequent in this game.

Requiem

I can't figure out for the life of me how to start a regular season. I don't want any of the extra crap, just want to play through 82 games with my Spurs....

Help me GAF!!

Morzak

I'd be actually interested to hear how running plays is in next gen, because it's one of the areas 2k need to improve dramatically to keep my interest, most plays are either broken, inefective or will not be executed properly.

It would be great if that stuff is now working better.

I can't figure out for the life of me how to start a regular season. I don't want any of the extra crap, just want to play through 82 games with my Spurs....

Help me GAF!!

It's in the MyGM mode. There's an early screen (after you select MyGM from the main menu) where you choose between MyGM and Season. Choose Season.

BadAss2961

Help me GAF!!
There's supposedly an option for it at the start of MyGM somewhere.

I recommend just playing MyGM though. It's not anywhere near as intrusive and time consuming as it sounds on paper. It's basically the same Association mode with more depth as a GM. I was very skeptical of it at first, but I like it.

There's supposedly an option for it at the start of MyGM somewhere.

I recommend just playing MyGM though. It's not anywhere near as intrusive and time consuming as it sounds on paper. It's basically the same Association mode with more depth as a GM. I was very skeptical of it at first, but I like it.

Yeah I think it's great. The main stink the mode is causing right now has to do with player morale, specifically regarding sixth-man and rookie shit where they all (?) think they should be starting, so they demand a trade, then don't start for the next team either, demand trade again, and it eventually fucks the league. Have not seen this myself as I'm still only a few games into my first year; paraphrasing this thread.

I was actually really digging MyCareer, even with the bad acting and writing, until I realized I was still only half-way through the season. I think I will power through the first season, but does it really go all the way until retiring? I might just give up after the first season.

knee

I was actually really digging MyCareer, even with the bad acting and writing, until I realized I was still only half-way through the season. I think I will power through the first season, but does it really go all the way until retiring? I might just give up after the first season.

Yeah-- I've started to wonder how many games need to be played. I told myself I'd play until an cut scene is repeated (besides the GM meeting).

Smokey

you can't fling the ball over the place in next gen 2k. the deny defense seems to be automatically enabled and so you need to adjust.

On top of that you need to take into account defensive signature skills. Some have Active Hands as a SK, while others have Interceptor. They will naturally jump lanes or get their hands on deflections.

Pay attention to who you are playing and take this into account. If on PS4, you can also press r1+icon of the target. Then push the right stick in a direction you want that player to go. They will cut and give you some space to throw them the ball.

Where do I find the tutorial? I haven't played a BBall game in like 5 years and have no idea what's going on.

Go to NBA Today. Press Circle. It will bring up a row of things to do, one being Practice/Tutorial.

Reading this thread confirms what I thought would happen. Everyone was excited about 2k14 graphics, but it is not an easy game to play especially if you haven't played a bball game in years or at all. That being said the menu system is a joke in the next gen versions.

Smokey

Isn't tapping L1 supposed to bring up scripted plays? It doesn't do shit for me. Do I need to turn something on in the options?

L1+icon of the player you want to call a play for. It will bring up a box with numerous plays.

I'd also suggest going into the options menu and turning play art from lite -> full. This way you can see the full play outlined on the hardwood as it develops. Another helpful hint is to to go into options, press L2, and turn defensive assist to 50. It might be at 0 by default.

gatisimo

If I'm not mistaken, there's a section of the PSN store on the PS4 that's for upgrading games. I saw a bunch of titles there for $9.99. Perhaps all you need to do is purchase one of those and insert the PS3 disc? Haven't used it myself, so I can't say for sure, though.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
you can't fling the ball over the place in next gen 2k. the deny defense seems to be automatically enabled and so you need to adjust.

On top of that you need to take into account defensive signature skills. Some have Active Hands as a SK, while others have Interceptor. They will naturally jump lanes or get their hands on deflections.

Pay attention to who you are playing and take this into account. If on PS4, you can also press r1+icon of the target. Then push the right stick in a direction you want that player to go. They will cut and give you some space to throw them the ball.

Go to NBA Today. Press Circle. It will bring up a row of things to do, one being Practice/Tutorial.

Reading this thread confirms what I thought would happen. Everyone was excited about 2k14 graphics, but it is not an easy game to play especially if you haven't played a bball game in years or at all. That being said the menu system is a joke in the next gen versions.

The menus seriously are stupid. NBA Today looks like a live stat feed...but it turns out if you press the back button a whole slew of options pop-up and that's actually where you should go to practice and get your skill set flowing. It's one of the most important aspects of the whole game...virtually away hidden away.

Horrible menu design. And yeah, this game motherfucking hard.

Smokey

The menus seriously are stupid. NBA Today looks like a live stat feed...but it turns out if you press the back button a whole slew of options pop-up and that's actually where you should go to practice and get your skill set flowing. It's one of the most important aspects of the whole game...virtually away hidden away.

Horrible menu design. And yeah, this game motherfucking hard.

Knicks are the gods of 2k. I am 18-2 in online play. One of those losses coming against the Knicks where everyone is Ray Allen jr. The other against the Heat of course smh where the dude was a Knicks fan lol

AlphaSnake

Knicks are the gods of 2k. I am 18-2 in online play. One of those losses coming against the Knicks where everyone is Ray Allen jr. The other against the Heat of course smh where the dude was a Knicks fan lol

Couldn't be further from the truth for me. I'm getting shitted on left and right.

Great quality shot. Good release. B+ = JANKVILLE.

FUCK DA KNICKS

Edit: Played a game against the Spurs on Pro...they fucking shot 78%! Fuck off.

Smokey

Couldn't be further from the truth for me. I'm getting shitted on left and right.

Great quality shot. Good release. B+ = JANKVILLE.

FUCK DA KNICKS

Edit: Played a game against the Spurs on Pro...they fucking shot 78%! Fuck off.

What's your PSN ID?

Try using square instead of shot stick. My shooting improved greatly when making that change.

Roxas

If I'm not mistaken, there's a section of the PSN store on the PS4 that's for upgrading games. I saw a bunch of titles there for $9.99. Perhaps all you need to do is purchase one of those and insert the PS3 disc? Haven't used it myself, so I can't say for sure, though.

I contacted Sony and they confirmed you need an actual code. Ive seen PS3 cases of the game in stores that have stickers on the front saying "Upgrade code inside" etc but there wasnt a sticker on my game, which was odd. It was brand new from Amazon so i dont know why its not there. I have a feeling that 2K have been pretty sneaky and have only put the code in first run copies of the game

I guess i can throw this out there in the slim chance that it will work...

Does anyone from the UK who bought NBA 2K14 on PS3 have a spare upgrade code they are willing to sell to me?

AlphaSnake

What's your PSN ID?

Try using square instead of shot stick. My shooting improved greatly when making that change.

ArnoldK

I've been using both. If I use square, then I can't use the moves with the R-stick.

Double D

Please GAF teach me how to play this... it looks amazing but I suck at it :'(

Right? I'm stuck at work so I can't try the tutorial right now, but went on youtube and started watching some instructional videos. After playing for two days, I just learned that the right stick is for doing special dribbling moves. I'm pretty sure the one time I tried to use the right stick it shot the ball, so now I'm utterly confused.

The right stick shoots the ball and also does crossovers and whatnot? My brain is full of fuck.

Takuan

You get various big payouts for endorsements. The Jordan/Nike choice was 9k free VC. Key games and social media are where you want to put in the most effort.
Good to know. I can max a few key stats with that 9k.

What's your quickness rating at? Playing regular games as a real point guard then coming back to my player is like a night and day difference in feel.
Low 80s, so not bad, but not among the quickest. I know you don't have to be in the triple threat to explode since I've seen the AI speed up suddenly after a transitional animation, so maybe the game has to register that you're clear of your fully clear of defenders before the burst happens.

meanspartan

I can't seem to find simulating career games either. I don't think it's in there. I might be wrong though because the UI is terrible.

Anyone know if there is a way to simulate that we are missing?

Playing every single game is kind of ridiculous and seems like 2k is counting on the early grind to get people to buy VC.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Start the 4th quarter, coach asks me to get the lead, 7 points down, make some assists and convert on an 'and-one' get benched, other teams wins.

Seems about right.

This happened to me as well. This was the point where I deleted the game off my system.

Zep

Banned

Who was your other loss too?

Help me GAF!!

don't play an 82 game season, man. play at least a half season or less. you're going to have to play the game like 100 hours to finish an 82 game season, or you're going to have to sim games which is....pointless when you can just shorten the seasons.

HariKari

Broke Chamberlain's single game record by spamming threes from my hot zone, defender or no defender. Even playing zone with the defensive anchor perk my team still gets turnstiled by anyone remotely talented. I don't really get it.

Is there any way to call for your team to crash the glass? They all stand around the perimeter waiting for passes when it's clear I'm just going to launch it most times.

Top Bottom