• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

ron_bato

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715229

2k has broken the league in game but you can see the list of people in the OP. You can add me if you want - Smokey_Nice

Alright, I'll add you later. I'm from the Philippines though, so hopefully we get a decent connection. I've played with americans before and got decent connections on ps3, not sure if the ps4 online infrastructure is okay though. But either way, I'm willing to try if you are. Thanks!

Yup. It's way too scripted.

So this new patch that I have yet to install...does it fuck up the game even more? If so, I'm not going to waste 2 more gigs to let it go through.

Yeah, really not feeling the script to MyCareer. The 'script' used to be just you playing.

Nyx

I keep losing with a 20+ point difference against Pro AI, I suck...

Any pointers? I try and use the pick and roll stuff by pressing O and passing to the player who wants it but still I can't open up the opponents defense.

Also it seems the AI scores on every damn turnover, every one!

Hasney

I really love the out of game cutscenes that have nothing to do with your play, but they need to be more organic than scripted.

Think the game ramps up the difficulty when you get a dynamic goal. Before the corruptions I was getting 25 points a game coming of the bench with about 7 assists and a couple of blocks, then it says something like "Change the entire game by yourself" and my 80% FG drops to 30 and then coach tells me he'll cut my minutes.

Not that it matters. Everytime the coach said I was getting a change in my minutes, I got 28 every single game without fail.

I keep losing with a 20+ point difference against Pro AI, I suck...

Any pointers? I try and use the pick and roll stuff by pressing O and passing to the player who wants it but still I can't open up the opponents defense.

Also it seems the AI scores on every damn turnover, every one!

Mash O on defence to try and get charging fouls. You'll lose by even more, but it's a lot more entertaining to lose that way.

Z3M0G

All I'm getting is save and exit game mode and instant replay,options,WTF
Sounds like you are in a game. You need to be between games. When you are traveling to the next game. Then you should get the menu with the option.

This game is starting to feel like a one trick pony. I am addicted to career mode, but trying to do anything else has only been a series of dissapointments...

PaulLFC

I'm new to NBA games, and although I love the presentation I can't defend - at all. I've played the training camp, but that didn't help much apart from showing me the controls as you could just hit the button to steal and it'd say "success" even if you got nowhere near the ball.

Obviously that doesn't work in an actual game, so does anyone have some strategies to defend? I'm having a tiny bit of success with holding L2 to pressure whichever opponent has the ball, and then when they go to shoot, pressing Triangle to jump - sometimes it works and I block their shot or they miss, sometimes they still manage to score points. It seems a bit random, but more to do with the fact I don't really know how I'm supposed to be defending properly.

Any tips?

Hasney

I'm new to NBA games, and although I love the presentation I can't defend - at all. I've played the training camp, but that didn't help much apart from showing me the controls as you could just hit the button to steal and it'd say "success" even if you got nowhere near the ball.

Obviously that doesn't work in an actual game, so does anyone have some strategies to defend? I'm having a tiny bit of success with holding L2 to pressure whichever opponent has the ball, and then when they go to shoot, pressing Triangle to jump - sometimes it works and I block their shot or they miss, sometimes they still manage to score points. It seems a bit random, but more to do with the fact I don't really know how I'm supposed to be defending properly.

Any tips?

I don't really understand basketball either. What I tend to do for some success is defend the man just outside the perimeter, hitting L2 if they're about to run to me and stay close in the paint. Get a double team going if the shot clock is about to run down.

Steals are hit and miss, you can't play it like a football game or something where you try and tackle any opportunity you get. Unless you see a clear opportunity to steal, don't bother and just apply pressure to block or try to make them miss. It's more about making it difficult than trying to win the ball.

PaulLFC

I don't really understand basketball either. What I tend to do for some success is defend the man just outside the perimeter, hitting L2 if they're about to run to me and stay close in the paint. Get a double team going if the shot clock is about to run down.

Steals are hit and miss, you can't play it like a football game or something where you try and tackle any opportunity you get. Unless you see a clear opportunity to steal, don't bother and just apply pressure to block or try to make them miss. It's more about making it difficult than trying to win the ball.
Thanks, it did seem like stealing wasn't very effective, probably because I was trying to play it like you described, as if it was a football game or something. Good to know the L2 & block strategy seems to be effective, I'll keep using that and try to get better at it.

Hasney

Does the PC version of this game have all the graphical enhancements found in the XB1 and PS4 versions?

Nah, old engine like FIFA. It has the last-gen features though, which are a lot more comprehensive than the PS4/XB1 versions by all accounts.

Double D

Guess I'm sending this back in to GF, getting constant Ce 34878-0 errors every time I play 10 seconds into the Mycareer rookie showcase, basically can't progress because of this.

So I opened up a support ticket for this issue and this was the response I got. Guess I'll try it later but somehow I don't think this will fix my issue.

Thank you for contacting 2K Sports. We are sorry that you are experiencing issues with NBA2K14. First we'd suggest the following steps from Sony:

PS4

Try booting into Safe Mode from this guide offered by Sony:

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5044

From this guide, what we'd suggest is the "Rebuild Database" option. Note: The Initializing option does state that it will wipe your date. When booting into Safe Mode, please make sure not to choose this option.

If this does not help, a few questions answered will be able to further assist us:
- Where is this happening? Is this happening in MyGM, MyTeam, MyCareer, or any other mode?
- If this is happening in MyCareer, please try changing your equipment. Are there any changes when and swapping out certain pieces of gear?
- What was the last action taken when last playing without issue.
- What process did you follow when turning off your console after this previous gaming session?
- Are you using a previous account from a PS3/XBL, or a newly created account?
- Can you provide a screen capture of any error message or any screen where your game is hanging?

Also please provide us more information about your account

Gamertag/PSNid:
Email Address Attached to your MyPlayer Account:
+ The names of all MyCareer save files that are corrupted as they show on your console's HDD
**A Screenshot for every corrupt file showing that the MyCareer File(s) is corrupted or any error message**
If you have any other questions about file corruption, please let us know.

knee

I need some help.

I can't seem to hit free throws online. Last game I shot 44% from the line. Is the timing different? o_O I'm letting the R3-stick go in time with the release and adjusting for each player's free throw motion.

Also, my defense is terrible. Everyone I seem to play against just lets the CPU defend and switches off of the player when you pass the ball to the person they're covering. Is this the right way to play? Is there a way around it?

Also, my defense is terrible. Everyone I seem to play against just lets the CPU defend and switches off of the player when you pass the ball to the person they're covering. Is this the right way to play? Is there a way around it?

Trying moving the ball around quicker on those clowns, eventually they'll have a switch mishap and get everybody out of place

LifEndz

I'm really really into this game but man do I suck at it. I'm just trying to get a basic familiarity with the controls so every game I try to add some new move to my arsenal.

Question for the guys/gals that actually know what they're doing:

1) How are you playing defense? By that I mean do you switch to whichever player is holding the ball or do you just play as one player and provide help? In Madden, I usually play as the FS or DE and never as a CB because that would just be silly. Is there something similar to that in the NBA 2K games?

2) Any tips on how to take your man off the dribble? I've had situations where a smaller quicker player was being guarded by a bigger slower player and yet I was unable to get by him.

3) How are you calling plays? I started using the mic which is somewhat helpful, but is there a way to do it via touchpad w/o having to pause the game and go in menu?

4) And on that note, can someone break down what the different zones do?

A lot of questions, I know, so thanks in advance. I'm playing on the default difficulty fwiw.

I'm really really into this game but man do I suck at it. I'm just trying to get a basic familiarity with the controls so every game I try to add some new move to my arsenal.

Question for the guys/gals that actually know what they're doing:

1) How are you playing defense? By that I mean do you switch to whichever player is holding the ball or do you just play as one player and provide help? In Madden, I usually play as the FS or DE and never as a CB because that would just be silly. Is there something similar to that in the NBA 2K games?

2) Any tips on how to take your man off the dribble? I've had situations where a smaller quicker player was being guarded by a bigger slower player and yet I was unable to get by him.

3) How are you calling plays? I started using the mic which is somewhat helpful, but is there a way to do it via touchpad w/o having to pause the game and go in menu?

A lot of questions, I know, so thanks in advance. I'm playing on the default difficulty fwiw.

1. I guard manually on ball as much as I can unless I see my opponent trying to run a specific play (like getting a shooter off a screen or posting someone up), so I sometimes might go off-ball to try to blow that play up, or to deny post position. You can shade your defensive stance left/right (although it doesn't seem to work as well this year) and try to force them to dribble left or right, if you know they have a spot they're trying to get to.

2. When you try to beat a guy off the dribble, it's kinda hard to describe, it helps if you've played actual ball, but I would work on specific moves in practice and try to read and react to what the defender is doing. Don't force it, and don't try to do too many dribble moves, that's the most I can help you with. Definitely learn the escape dribble moves (Holding down L2)

3. Playcalling is a pain in the ass but I typically either select a specific player's icon and run a play for them, or if you change your points of emphasis you can hold L1 and they'll automatically call a play for you---for example if you have "Pick and roll" the game will run the best pick and roll set based on where everyone is on the court, or if you have "Feed the post" it'll call a post play, "Play through LeBron James" it'll call plays for LeBron, etc. This is probably the best thing to do until you've memorized specifically what plays are.

4. It's hard to tell what specifically what zones do, cause they work like shit in this game lol. But google it and I think that'll be more informative. When you go into zone keep in mind what parts of the court are left open or where that zone's weaknesses are. For example a 3-2 zone (3 men on the perimeter, 2 inside) will often leave the corners open if a team makes your defenders move enough.

HariKari

My perspective is from someone who went from basketball noob to scoring 100+ pts a game on Pro with my player if I need to here, so take my advice for what it's worth.

You are generally best off using one of the bigger players (powerforward or center) and just moving within your own defensive scheme. Let the AI guard the faster players. The AI is very weak at contesting outside shots, so I've yet to find a way to reliably guard those types. You can lurk the passing lanes to the corner to ensure they don't attempt a pass there/catch and shoot.

If you are trying to drive to the hoop you have to actually start your shot somewhere around the freethrow line. The game will automatically pick the best layup for you. You can quickly use the right sticks to do various dribbling moves that will buy you space. I really recommend doing the tutorials on this, as it comes into play at higher levels and if you really want to be dominant with a particularly good ballhandler (Rose, Westbrook, your own PG etc...)

I don't call plays, because I play a star point guard ala Derrick Rose for my player. You can hold O to get varying degrees of pick and roll going. You can hit right on the D pad to set your basic formation (this may be more in depth in quick games) and what you want your guys to do most. Shoot at will, play through someone etc...

A zone is a type of trap, if you are familiar with hockey. 2-3 means you have two guys high (usually your smallest) guarding the perimeter, while three guys are inside along the baseline. The weaknesses of the various zones are good reading, but essentially they trade outside defense for interior defense. If you are playing against a team that is slashing your interior, switching to a zone can force them outside.

The 100% most reliable way to win games is to use your player to counter their best player if you are playing man coverage. I've beaten the Cavs and the Bulls by 50 points by doing this. If you completely shade (L2 intense D, basically holds them close) their star (this includes not letting them even get the ball inbounds after you score) then their offense slows considerably. If you are scoring in return and you are shutting down a guy, eventually the coach will pull him and then you can really pile on. In MyCareer I held D.Rose under 6 assists and K. Irving to well under 25 points, beating both social media challenges. They can't score on you from the bench, or if they can't get the ball.

Stops also matter a great deal. If you are being consistently scored on, your team will have a low defensive rhythm. It's the basketball equivalent of having a team run the ball on you at will in football. Your teammates will contest shots more, better, block more, and rebound better if their D rhythm is high. You can buff this a lot by going for lots of steals, although you will get reach in fouls if you don't time it right or know when to strike.

For those of u thinking of buying vc points, they are not transferable. Meaning if u create a player, say a center, then later on u decide u want to be a point guard, if u delete the center u do not get the vc points back u have to by more vc. How the fuck did this game get such high reviews with all the bs 2k has done. Where is the uproar?

akileese

For those of u thinking of buying vc points, they are not transferable. Meaning if u create a player, say a center, then later on u decide u want to be a point guard, if u delete the center u do not get the vc points back u have to by more vc. How the fuck did this game get such high reviews with all the bs 2k has done. Where is the uproar?

Good lord this is scummy even with the way things have been going. Pool it all together throughout all modes but delete it if you wanna change players. Fantastic.

I think something that is underratedly terrible but hasn't been mentioned is that we can have at max, 5 save files for both GM and MyCareer together

Like what the fuck

HariKari

Tempted to uninstall this and never mention it again after the Clippers, a non playoff team (pretty bad by all measurables), shot nearly 100% for a half because I called out CP3 on Twitter.

I can't say I'm too upset, I mean, I literally only bought this game because it looks pretty and to play exhibition games against the CPU and buddies. The shitty UI and menus make me not even want to bother looking into what other modes are available (seriously, they are that bad, I have no idea how you guys do it) but either way this is shitty practice. They need to be up front with this shit and not try and hide it or patch it in later. Scummy.

Good lord this is scummy even with the way things have been going. Pool it all together throughout all modes but delete it if you wanna change players. Fantastic.

Yeah, it is fucking stupid. What are the odds that 2k patches this shit or do the die hard NBA fans buy enough copies that they do not give a shit about newcomers?

I absolutely regret buying this game and will vehemently suggest others do not purchase it. It is like a shitty F2P game where everything worthwhile is behind a VC paywall. The game doesn't even make sense with MyCareer scripts and defense on your team is a joke.

I got this for free with B2G1F and I feel I over paid.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

I read somewhere that VC points you buy don't even go into the My Career mode with you. As in you can't boost your attributes with bought VC you can only buy clothes and shoes. The whole micro-transaction aspect of this game are incredibly scummy. I really wish I would have known about how prevalent the VC grinding is so I wouldn't have bought it. This will be my last NBA2k game so long as they make it all about the VC grind.

Joeki11a

Banned
All of you whining about gameplay
Use the Sliders and make the game play however you want if
Default set up aint good fix it your own way, be glad they even have sliders.

All of you whining about gameplay
Use the Sliders and make the game play however you want if
Default set up aint good fix it your own way, be glad they even have sliders.
How do I get these in the MyCareer mode? Isn't that only for basically quick games?

As for VC in MyCareer, you need to create the save after your purchase.

Nintyb

Banned
I think after sinking 15 hours into this game its time to trade it in. After losing all progress on the Myplayer the first time I decided to just stick to playing a regular season but the AI is cheap as fuck. No matter how much I tinker with sliders they start making miraculous shots, completely box out my defenders consistently for boards, and steal or deflect passes on every fast break opportunity.

The game feels so scripted that I'm at no disadvantage just watching it play in demo mode. I replayed one of the games in a season three times and the results were almost identical as far as player stats.

I read somewhere that VC points you buy don't even go into the My Career mode with you. As in you can't boost your attributes with bought VC you can only buy clothes and shoes.

This is not true. I used the $10 in psn funds that came with my console and jacked my guy up with them. Not that I think the VC situation with this game is fantastic, but lynching this game is receiving from this community doesn't need the help of any misinformation.

This is not true. I used the $10 in psn funds that came with my console and jacked my guy up with them. Not that I think the VC situation with this game is fantastic, but lynching this game is receiving from this community doesn't need the help of any misinformation.

Yeah poor 2k...

Smokey

I read somewhere that VC points you buy don't even go into the My Career mode with you. As in you can't boost your attributes with bought VC you can only buy clothes and shoes. The whole micro-transaction aspect of this game are incredibly scummy. I really wish I would have known about how prevalent the VC grinding is so I wouldn't have bought it. This will be my last NBA2k game so long as they make it all about the VC grind.

Nah not true.

You need at least $50 to get the full extent of myGM. That's not even including the other modes. It's pretty terrible.

Yeah poor 2k...

I think you're griefing me, but not quite sure.

To be clear, I've only played MyCareer and have dodged all of the horrible bugs and file corruption, but I think the game is pretty fucking good. Other people are having very different experiences and it's totally reasonable that they voice their negative opinions. It just seems really irresponsible for some false secondhand information to further drag 2K through the dirt when people have hardly run out of legitimate complaints.

I think you're griefing me, but not quite sure.

To be clear, I've only played MyCareer and have dodged all of the horrible bugs and file corruption, but I think the game is pretty fucking good. Other people are having very different experiences and it's totally reasonable that they voice their negative opinions. It just seems really irresponsible for some false secondhand information to further drag 2K through the dirt when people have hardly run out of legitimate complaints.

I was just ribbing you a bit, and while I agree misinforming is not responsible, I am so fed up with 2k's shit that I would prefer you have said "Hey buddy you are wrong but 2k is still a giant piece of shit" but not relevant to the discussion!

anyways I agree that I don't have a problem with the difficulty. I play it on HOF with simulation and while some dumb shit does happen from time to time I don't feel like I get jobbed that much. the game is indeed very difficult to learn and I think you have to frequently watch basketball to understand it. I have a feeling a lot of people play the game and have to learn about the really intimate details of the game rather than what they want to see, which is how I felt when I first played the series

The game could tone down with the pirahna passing lanes though

DietRob

Nah not true.

You need at least $50 to get the full extent of myGM. That's not even including the other modes. It's pretty terrible.

Welp, I just now decided to use $10 bucks that came with my second ps4 to get 35k points. I did it within the "My Career" interface and it didn't show up there. I still had the same VC that I started out with. When I went into "My GM and My team" interface it showed up there. I was able to buy clothes and shoes that showed up for "My Career" guy but not able to boost stats or buy dunk packages and skills.

I guess something changed with this magic update they pushed a while back. I hate this game.

DietRob

I think some of this is above the devs from upper management. I find it hard to imagine that a developer who spends hours of day on his work wants it to be hidden behind a pay wall.

Sadly there are no alternative basketball titles.

Yea, of course it's the suits calling the shots here. It's just really shitty that they have a "Purchase VC" option inside of "My Career" that any normal person would think gives you VC inside the mode you are playing. What a waste. I guess I can buy cards for the "My Team" thing I don't even play. Ugh..

http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/12/10/vc-implementation-threatens-the-future-of-the-nba-2k-series

It’s somewhat startling to look back just a few weeks and see evaluations of NBA 2K14 that did not mention alarming tactics instituted by 2K Sports that would greatly affect consumers. The game for all intents and purposes requires an online connection and VC has been baked into almost every mode in a way that detracts from the enjoyment of the product. Of course reviews also didn’t bother to check how worthless the Online Leagues were and whether online even ran properly, and they wouldn’t have caught a roster that went nearly two months without an update and crashing problems that began occurring for many a week or two later.

Good article, pasta. too bad the 2k overlords won't give a shit :(

Welp, I just now decided to use $10 bucks that came with my second ps4 to get 35k points. I did it within the "My Career" interface and it didn't show up there. I still had the same VC that I started out with. When I went into "My GM and My team" interface it showed up there. I was able to buy clothes and shoes that showed up for "My Career" guy but not able to boost stats or buy dunk packages and skills.

I guess something changed with this magic update they pushed a while back. I hate this game.

From what I've read (Didn't see the points in MyCareer after spending $5 of the free PS4 money on them) I found that you had to

1) Buy VC
2) Start a MyCareer save

If you did it in reverse, for some reason it doesn't go. I would open up a case with support honestly. I was way too early on to care about resetting ... but then found I couldn't skip cutscenes ....

DietRob

From what I've read (Didn't see the points in MyCareer after spending $5 of the free PS4 money on them) I found that you had to

1) Buy VC
2) Start a MyCareer save

If you did it in reverse, for some reason it doesn't go. I would open up a case with support honestly. I was way too early on to care about resetting ... but then found I couldn't skip cutscenes ....

Damn, that really stinks. I absolutely do not want to start my career over. Since there is no way to simulate games I'm only 3/4's of the way through season 1. And honestly I don't think I can take wishing Bob in maintenance a happy birthday another 20 times. Anybody know where I go to file a support case? NVM found it.

Smokey

Can't wait to get further into myplayer now that I have the myGM trophies wrapped up.

Play a game of what glitch will I encounter.

Someone give me some tips for this game. I feel like the computer can drive right by me, yet I can never take anyone off the dribble unless I'm on fire or I get some solid screens. I'm playing as the Pacers right now, and I'm having fun, but I feel like the CPU gets a ton of lay-ups whereas I have to settle for a lot of post plays and mid-range curls.

There's already a thread for that, playa.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732589

Top Bottom