• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

Someone give me some tips for this game. I feel like the computer can drive right by me, yet I can never take anyone off the dribble unless I'm on fire or I get some solid screens. I'm playing as the Pacers right now, and I'm having fun, but I feel like the CPU gets a ton of lay-ups whereas I have to settle for a lot of post plays and mid-range curls.

There's already a thread for that, playa.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732589

oh that is good. I never check the gaming side so I only see stuff people tell me to visit

I really love the out of game cutscenes that have nothing to do with your play, but they need to be more organic than scripted.

Think the game ramps up the difficulty when you get a dynamic goal. Before the corruptions I was getting 25 points a game coming of the bench with about 7 assists and a couple of blocks, then it says something like "Change the entire game by yourself" and my 80% FG drops to 30 and then coach tells me he'll cut my minutes.

Not that it matters. Everytime the coach said I was getting a change in my minutes, I got 28 every single game without fail.

Mash O on defence to try and get charging fouls. You'll lose by even more, but it's a lot more entertaining to lose that way.

I never get any of these. IS the pc version different from the console versions?

HariKari

How do you do that? And which mode? MyCareer?

One your player starts to get good, it will say you are talking trash in the news/social media section. It won't let you skip any games against star players at your position (Rose, Westbrook, Paul etc... for PG) so you can only sim certain games, which gets old fast when you hit a run of 4 unskippable games in a row.

I've yet to get a new endorsement in the third season. I think they stopped writing at that point. I'm at 10.2 million fans and 97% local fan support.

I wouldn't care about any of this if it wasn't for the VC system. It makes challenges important, because they are 300 vc (600 in a key game) plus dynamic goals, all of which can be out of your control. I just got issued a challenge to keep Lillard from hitting 3 threes. This goal can fail if I'm pulled out of the game by my coach, which I will be, because I've hit the max minutes you can play (41). How is that good design? It's not. The game is littered with crap like that.

Welp, I just now decided to use $10 bucks that came with my second ps4 to get 35k points. I did it within the "My Career" interface and it didn't show up there. I still had the same VC that I started out with. When I went into "My GM and My team" interface it showed up there. I was able to buy clothes and shoes that showed up for "My Career" guy but not able to boost stats or buy dunk packages and skills.

I guess something changed with this magic update they pushed a while back. I hate this game.

I purchased my VC after having made my player, so you're either bugged or the update changed this. Sorry man, that's a rough beat.

I would guess either hit the practice courts and a button there will show you or check out your player's tendencies

It is in that shitty script, all my zones are white and there is not a hot zone to shoot from at all. None of them change color no matter how many times I make it from them.

maltrain

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DBRM3G8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

39,99 on Amazon (PS4 digital code right now)

20,00 less than the PS3 digital code?

Thing is... I see this picture when I choose the option... a mistake, right?

51HGi9hbH8L._SX385_.jpg

knee

I'm just about ready to give up on this game. What plays are people calling on defense to fill every lane and contest every shot in Online play? I'm playing the console version. Are there a bunch of double teams? I just don't get it this year.

Fuck it, game is shelved. I will see what happens with any patches or fixes but this game is a trashy bug infested piece of shit. Never been more dissapointed in a game in years.

LifEndz

Man is this game is so much fun when your games are competitive!

Another question: My team runs the high pick and roll quite a bit irl, and I find it to be really effective in the game. My question is how are you guys passing to the guy that sets the screen and then goes in motion? I tried to use the pass button while aiming the right stick at the player who set the screen, but I find that results in passes to just about anyone but the person I want to pass to. I'm using the pass specific buttons function to do it now, but sometimes it takes me maybe a split second too long to hit my man with the ball. Any tips are much appreciated.

Hopefully by the time I get my weight up I'll have earned enough VC that I'll be able to do mygm w/o having to purchase VC.

weevles

I hate how long it takes the game to load after a patch or MOTD update.

Also don't like how the game needs to connect online to get the full VC for MyCareer.

How the fuck do you find your hotzone for this MyCareer skit?

Why do I continue to play this game ....

If I remember correctly your player didn't have a 'hotzone' in MyCareer last year, so I guess that's carried over. I wanted to believe you created your own one from hitting shots from the same spot over the course of your career, but I'm not sure that's true.

HariKari

If I remember correctly your player didn't have a 'hotzone' in MyCareer last year, so I guess that's carried over. I wanted to believe you created your own one from hitting shots from the same spot over the course of your career, but I'm not sure that's true.

You have a hotzone, it's just trial and error when it comes to finding it. At some point your rating gets high enough that the shot quality indicator isn't going to help. But I found mine as an all-around PG, slightly right of the basket on the three point line. Not sure if it's random.

Hasney

You have a hotzone, it's just trial and error when it comes to finding it. At some point your rating gets high enough that the shot quality indicator isn't going to help. But I found mine as an all-around PG, slightly right of the basket on the three point line. Not sure if it's random.

I picked a shooting PG and mine seems to be there too. If I get the ball in a tiny bit of space there, I shoot and usually get an A+ shot if the timing is right. Still misses when the script calls for it though, stupid game.

Oh well I guess it's nice you have a hotspot, but would have been nicer if you could either select where it was, or when was created over time for wherever your highest shot % formed.

Loomba

I installed it last night and then booted it up only for it to start installing again, 5 hours later it's only on 40%.

This added to the fact that I have no idea what the hell to do in Quick Game lol

PaulLFC

I installed it last night and then booted it up only for it to start installing again, 5 hours later it's only on 40%.

This added to the fact that I have no idea what the hell to do in Quick Game lol
I'd advise you to go and play something else (it'll carry on installing, but doesn't show in downloads for some reason). Took nearly a whole day to install for me. Never deleting it if I can help it.

Korezo

I got traded to the bulls and the team was in second place 1 game behind Miami, then when I become a starter every game is now a blow out lost by like 30 points. Nobody in my team can score, Rose was avg like 20 points most games now avg 6. The coach leaves me their for all minutes every quarter and Is the reason why I think we losing since the AI becomes retarded when you out their. Now we in a 10 game losing streak. The AI and and gameplay of this game is so bad.. That I'm tempted to dl and try the live demo because live cant be worst than this game.. I'm player of the week every damn week. I'm playing in hall of fame difficulty but damn this has to be one of the worst games I've ever played. Also why did 2k remove basketball game accessories like head bands, arm sleeves , and other stuff off the game?

Loomba

I'd advise you to go and play something else (it'll carry on installing, but doesn't show in downloads for some reason). Took nearly a whole day to install for me. Never deleting it if I can help it.

Ah okay mate, thanks a lot.

I just hope it has a tutorial hah!

Mumford

I was gonna get this game, but then I heard they removed Association mode for MyGM or whatever. BS 2k. Bring back Association in 2k15!

Lexxism

Also why did 2k remove basketball game accessories like head bands, arm sleeves , and other stuff off the game?

They didn't remove it. You need to use a VC to purchase those. Features > MyPlayerStore(I think). That's where you are going to buy those accessories.

Korezo

They didn't remove it. You need to use a VC to purchase those. Features > MyPlayerStore(I think). That's where you are going to buy those accessories.

Yeah it's not there no more, I was going to buy some after getting 7k coins from Nike endorsement.

Lexxism

Yeah it's not there no more, I was going to buy some after getting 7k coins from Nike endorsement.

Oh yeah, if you mean in my career. They move it and you need the VC that you get from MyGM or whatever since the VC in mycareer is only for mycareer it seems. What's more, the gears are pretty expensive.

Double D

Since MyCareer has been broken since it continues to crash on the Rising Stars game and 2K is still trying to 'help', I started a MyGM as a GM and another MyGM just as a team to play a regular season.

So I played a few games as the GM, then quit. Been playing the save where I'm just playing a regular ass season. When Injuries arise, it cuts to the GM dialogue stuff and wants me to make decisions as a GM, even though I'm not playing that mode. It's pretty special.

Ah okay mate, thanks a lot.

I just hope it has a tutorial hah!

There is a tutorial but be warned... the menu interface and option placement is completely baffling to me and i ended up choosing options just to see what they did! Not ideal but no harm done i think.

I'm a total newb at Basketball games too. Choose NBA Today and then i think the circle button brings up the menu, select quick game to just jump in and try things out but i suggest going through the tutorials first.
If anyone has tips or links or posts from the thread for a guy from the UK who has very little idea of anything but the basics then please post them. Basketball 2K14 For Dummies would be welcomed :)

Allforce

Is there any practice or tutorial mode to show you how to run plays? I call a play in a game, and an icon shows up on the court. I dribble over to it...then what? Am I supposed to just know what's coming and execute?

I remember 2K11 (last one I played) having a pretty extensive tutorial and practice mode for running team-specific plays but I can't find it here.

I like the game but the little things are frustrating, I forget how to like highlight a teammate and make him move around while I have the ball, and there's no in-game button mechanics telling you how to do moves as far as I can tell. I don't want to back all the way out to training mode and search that shit out.

TheHater

Happened to me. I had to delete everything and reinstall a couple times. Save is online though so that didn't get lost.
tried that several times. Same problem. This game is a broken mess right now for me

Same here. One trick to get around the mycareer crash is to remove all accessories from my players. I don't have that option anymore.

Is there any practice or tutorial mode to show you how to run plays? I call a play in a game, and an icon shows up on the court. I dribble over to it...then what? Am I supposed to just know what's coming and execute?

I remember 2K11 (last one I played) having a pretty extensive tutorial and practice mode for running team-specific plays but I can't find it here.

I like the game but the little things are frustrating, I forget how to like highlight a teammate and make him move around while I have the ball, and there's no in-game button mechanics telling you how to do moves as far as I can tell. I don't want to back all the way out to training mode and search that shit out.
In the options menu there's an option to show specific parts of the play (2k calls it PlayVision I think?) such as Lite or Full. Always go full. And choose Auto play calling if you wish since you can always override the automatic play with whatever play you want to run.

Timeouts - Auto
Substitution - Auto
Substitution Method - Rotation
PlayVision - All plays
PlayVision Display - Full
Offense playcalling - Auto
Defense playcalling - Auto
Playcall messages - Show all

Move teammate is L1 or LB, choose player icon, move right stick in the direction you want him to cut.

Picked this up last night and wasn't sure how much I was going to be in to it considering I haven't played a basketball game in awhile and last time I did I only played it for like a month. I must say it's pretty fun. My first game was a mess but after doing the tutorial and playing a few games it's gotten better.

I played somebody online and actually won. It was a pretty close game. 1 point lead in the final two minutes and then I made some good stops and got a couple open threes and ended it.

Just found out that exhibition and online playbooks are broken.

Even if you change the team playbook or individual players play sets, in-game it will just reset back to the default options.

Ilive1up

anyone have a good slider set? i'm having trouble finding a good mix. games are wacky. like point blank layups misses and bullshit like that.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I finally got sponsored by Jordan in career mode. I was shocked that I got 9000 vc out of it. I honestly can't believe it. Fuck 2k and their economy I'm a starting small forward I should not be at poverty level.

Korezo

I finally got sponsored by Jordan in career mode. I was shocked that I got 9000 vc out of it. I honestly can't believe it. Fuck 2k and their economy I'm a starting small forward I should not be at poverty level.

Damn I chose Nike and only got 7k, I really wanted those damn foams from Nike when they said I can have any sneaker for free from who ever I choose.

If anybody is interested in joining our spreadsheet league check this thread out

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715229

16 games, followed by playoffs. we haven't decided on the format yet, but the regular season games will be 12 minute quarters. since the actual league sucks we're just going to record W/L in that spreadsheet and the schedule is already set up. we need one more spot, preferably an eastern team that hasn't been taken!

and since it's not league we have to do all games via play with friends

Top Bottom