• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

It's gotten to the point in Career mode that I just demand the ball as soon as we get to half court. I have to put up 40+ points a game because I don't trust the ai to do anything useful. Rebounding is a rare sight for my team while the computer team seems to be gods at it. The bs auto three pointer that they get when you give them just a little bit of space is also bs. It's not my fault that I can't stick to you like glue. Yet, here I come down the court and the ai is all over me.

I enjoy it over all now that I get to actually stay in for most of the game, but my team shouldn't lose intelligence the moment I step on the court.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Damn I chose Nike and only got 7k, I really wanted those damn foams from Nike when they said I can have any sneaker for free from who ever I choose.

Yea, they said I could have any shoes I wanted from the Jordan line but I have no idea how to equip them. There isn't an option to change shoes in the career mode (that I've found) only way see shoes is exit career and go into features then Champs™ Store and buy the mother fuckers for 7 grand. Gimmie my free shoes, bitch.

HariKari

Yea, they said I could have any shoes I wanted from the Jordan line but I have no idea how to equip them. There isn't an option to change shoes in the career mode (that I've found) only way see shoes is exit career and go into features then Champs™ Store and buy the mother fuckers for 7 grand. Gimmie my free shoes, bitch.

Uhh you have to buy the shoes while in MyCareer mode. They're free for the brand you chose.

DietRob

Uhh you have to buy the shoes while in MyCareer mode. They're free for the brand you chose.

Where at? The menu system in this game is awful so I legitimately might of missed it. I really doubt that though since I've spent about 50 hours in "My Career"

DietRob

The store is in My Career mode. Between games, when you are on the plane or driving to the arena.

Nope, sure isn't. PS4 here if that matters. Maybe mine is bugged who knows. The VC I have outside of career mode is not the same as the VC I have in career mode so something is obviously already off.

edit: just to be sure i'm looking at it right now via remote play.
the menu options are : Player Upgrades, Purchase VC, Social Media, My Career (it's not in there), NBA.COM, Stats/Standings, Settings, The Park, and Exit.

HariKari

Nope, sure isn't. PS4 here if that matters. Maybe mine is bugged who knows. The VC I have outside of career mode is not the same as the VC I have in career mode so something is obviously already off.

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. It should be unified. You can earn VC with MyGM and then spend it on your player and all that.

DietRob

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. It should be unified. You can earn VC with MyGM and then spend it on your player and all that.

Yeah, I know that's the way it 'should' be. But it isn't. I put in a ticket with 2k last week about it but they don't seem too pressed to offer any solutions. I know what they are going to say once they do get around to doing anything. They are going to no doubt tell me I have to start over.

That's when I try my best not to break the disc. Since I still have to play in the GAF league and all.

Lexxism

the menu options are : Player Upgrades, Purchase VC, Social Media, My Career (it's not in there), NBA.COM, Stats/Standings, Settings, The Park, and Exit.

Same. MyPlayer store isn't on my MyCareer mode. I need to get out that mode for me to purchase these accessories. I don't know why it's not unified.

lol I finally got to that bullshit part where I wondered why I sat all the 3rd, then I realized the coach gave me this ridiculous goal "We're down 13, come back!" and after the game he said he was disappointed

Of course i told him he was a shithead and fought back

Zafir

All the coach meetings seem really silly.

I had a game where I did most of the work, and because we didn't win the coach says he's disappointed and has to cut back my time. Yes, I'm sorry I can't make up for the fact the rest of the AI sucks balls. Yeah maybe I could make up for the AI sucking if my player was better(I'm not that far into the career, only started the other day), but at the moment? No chance. Then there's the issue of not getting passed to, and when you try and call for a pass, even though you're wide open and near the basket, it says bad pass call.

As the first basketball game I've played I realise I'm not that amazing at the moment, but man this seems like such an uphill struggle.

DietRob

All the coach meetings seem really silly.

I had a game where I did most of the work, and because we didn't win the coach says he's disappointed and has to cut back my time. Yes, I'm sorry I can't make up for the fact the rest of the AI sucks balls. Yeah maybe I could make up for the AI sucking if my player was better(I'm not that far into the career, only started the other day), but at the moment? No chance. Then there's the issue of not getting passed to, and when you try and call for a pass, even though you're wide open and near the basket, it says bad pass call.

As the first basketball game I've played I realise I'm not that amazing at the moment, but man this seems like such an uphill struggle.

It's scripted. Everyone gets that dialogue and if you are even close to making your team win the CPU goes HAM and starts shooting 100% you are forced to lose. Just wait for all your GM meeting and count how many times Bob has a birthday. I counted 8.

It's scripted. Everyone gets that dialogue and if you are even close to making your team win the CPU goes HAM and starts shooting 100% you are forced to lose. Just wait for all your GM meeting and count how many times Bob has a birthday. I counted 8.

This is how I'm feeling too

Has anyone had a game where they shot like shit at the line but they don't know why and then had to go practice free throws with some other scrub

DJ88

Has anyone had a game where they shot like shit at the line but they don't know why and then had to go practice free throws with some other scrub

Yup. I usually make all my free throws but there was one game where they just decided to miss for no reason even though the timing on all of them was B+ minimum. Conveniently got to practice free throws after the game and started making them again. Just now also had a similar situation where I was missing wide open layups for no reason and had to practice shooting after the game.

DietRob

Yep, I had to shoot free throws with Aldridge. Had to make 20 of them in a row. Just for shits and giggles I started purposely trying to miss them after making 10 straight. It was impossible for me to miss. Scripted.

yeah I noticed that too

it really makes me not want to play it anymore, to be honest...

I even just blew a bunch of points to make my PF super athletic :(

DietRob

Well at least you can blow points. My points in standard modes are separate from my points in career mode. So I have to limp by on only VC I get within career mode to make my Small Forward any good. I have 20 thousand something points outside of my career from doing the nba2k app that i can't use. It's pretty pathetic.

slabrock

Banned
Really wanted to grab this game but all the VC talk has soured me on buying it. Been a few years since I bought a basketball game and was starting to get that itch.

DietRob

What is VC? I want to pick this game up maybe.

It's the virtual currency, in game economy that is tied to everything. Want to change rotations in My GM? Spend VC. Want to have a leg up in contract negotiations? Spend VC to up your persuasion or whatever it's called. Improve your My Player stats, VC.

You can earn a minimal amount of VC through playing the game but the economy is gimped to make you feel like a chump if you don't buy VC from 2k. It's a fucking cancer. If I would have known it would be gimped this bad I wouldn't have bought it out of principle.

Yup. I usually make all my free throws but there was one game where they just decided to miss for no reason even though the timing on all of them was B+ minimum. Conveniently got to practice free throws after the game and started making them again. Just now also had a similar situation where I was missing wide open layups for no reason and had to practice shooting after the game.
Oh, let's not talk about free throws. I throw A- free throws a majority of the time, but there are these where they just don't go in. I'm like WTF. Also, I can't make threes because the ai sticks to you like glue.

Yep, I had to shoot free throws with Aldridge. Had to make 20 of them in a row. Just for shits and giggles I started purposely trying to miss them after making 10 straight. It was impossible for me to miss. Scripted.

Just 20? I had to make 50 in a row. FIFTY. Somehow I forced myself to do it... but it really felt like some "would you kindly" bullshit to me at the time. I was like.. why am I even practicing free throws in a fucking video game. Pretty sure my arms would be in slings if I ever had to shoot 50 free throws in real life back to back.

Zafir

Yeah I had to do the 50 one, though you could miss one, just couldn't miss two in a row. I also had to do some shitty 20 quality shots one as well, which was tedious because the only way I could seem to do quality shots was through holding triangle and pushing the stick down.
Hah, I counted 2 so far.

So .. no Gym for a shoot around to get used to my jumpshot, no Highlight Reel, no Sprite Uncontainable of the Game Reel, no Mascot and No DANCERS?

BoooooO!

Altho', they've probably hidden them all behind their paywall and it'll take a few squillion VC to unlock each

Loomba

Played through the tutorial yesterday and still have no bloody idea what I'm doing hah (I'm from the UK so this is all very new to me).

When I try to shoot, when do I have to release the stick? I keep getting "EXTREMELY LATE" or "EXTREMELY EARLY" can't find the medium.

HariKari

Played through the tutorial yesterday and still have no bloody idea what I'm doing hah (I'm from the UK so this is all very new to me).

When I try to shoot, when do I have to release the stick? I keep getting "EXTREMELY LATE" or "EXTREMELY EARLY" can't find the medium.

Try using the manual shot button first instead of the stick. On PS4, it's the square. Release at the apex of a players jump. Usually its about a 1 second hold.

There used to be an option to head to the gym and just shoot around to get used to the shot stick. Alas, they've taken that away this year .. shame ...

unless they've hidden it behind a paywall and it'll take a few thousand VC to earn it

Bought on the PS4 booted it up and this was me for about 20 minutes

97VP

Thinking I will hunt out a tutorial rather than going career straight away!

samman6

Is there any way to just play a season, with a single team in this game? I would like to play as a single team 82 game season, with current rosters.

97VP

This is me too...im on the fence...never played a console basketball game apart from nba jam and have been debating getting this

I play fifa
Love NHL...dont mind madden..is there tutorials on how to play or is it simply grit it and see

Morzak

Well at least you can blow points. My points in standard modes are separate from my points in career mode. So I have to limp by on only VC I get within career mode to make my Small Forward any good. I have 20 thousand something points outside of my career from doing the nba2k app that i can't use. It's pretty pathetic.

Hm did you play the mycareer once while not connected to PSN or while 2k servers where down? Because the Xbox360 version will then use a different currency system(at least in 2k13) that only works in that mode, maybe they are now still displaying it as VC......

Honestly I was planning to get a PS4 for this game, but after reading more and more about it I doubt that it's worth it :/

Trojan X

Banned
Late to the party. Brought the pc version and i thought it was absolute blasphemy. 2K has no excuses to put out a last generation version like that, especially when my pc blows the ps4 and xb1 out of the water. Worse part is, i can't get my money back so for that, I give 2K a royal middle finger. FU 2K. FU.

So disappointed.

Late to the party. Brought the pc version and i thought it was absolute blasphemy. 2K has no excuses to put out a last generation version like that, especially when my pc blows the ps4 and xb1 out of the water. Worse part is, i can't get my money back so for that, I give 2K a royal middle finger. FU 2K. FU.

So disappointed.

Disappointed in your inability to research your purchase before making it?

Trojan X

Banned
Disappointed in your inability to research your purchase before making it?

Screw you, dude (joking)! It should be natural by now to think that the pc version of a game should be based on the leading or is the leading sku in development. You shouldn't have to research everything that you purchase in that regards, especially as all my games has demonstrated that case (seriously, look at everything up till now in respect to multi platform games, the pc has been the definitive version).

Anyhow, now i have to be more careful in future as i never expected any developer to pull such a nasty card like this around this time in the games industry's life. So surprised.

Gamestop gave 42.50 which is more than I paid for this paywalled piece of shit. F2P game disguised as a full game.

Just a shirt was more VC than I earn in a day.

zinder

The reason you have different VC is because you started your mycareer mode when your ínternet was disconnected/not connected to PSN servers.

Vestal

2k wtf with your shitty save system.

How can it be that you still can't get this shit right. I remember losing progress back in 2k11.

Now in 2k14 it appears like every other game I complete when I come back I have to play through it again because your shit save system just won't work.

FIX YOUR SHIT. The most basic of system broken?? I expect this from EA not you.

Screw you, dude (joking)! It should be natural by now to think that the pc version of a game should be based on the leading or is the leading sku in development. You shouldn't have to research everything that you purchase in that regards, especially as all my games has demonstrated that case (seriously, look at everything up till now in respect to multi platform games, the pc has been the definitive version).

Anyhow, now i have to be more careful in future as i never expected any developer to pull such a nasty card like this around this time in the games industry's life. So surprised.

I agree that they should however it's quite often they don't. I believe that the PC versions of FIFA are often a generation bhind in terms of the engine being used too.

Trojan X

Banned
Really? I didn't know that one. My games such as max payne 3, bf4, ac4, sonic, devil may cry4, all the nfs, cod, and many many more showed otherwise. Oh well. Messed up.

Zafir

97VP

Yeah that was me aswell. I stupidly jumped straight into the career thinking it would give me guidence and got an f rating lol. I then went into the tutorial after which you can get to through NBA live and choose it from the circle menu. You can choose the tutorial to learn the buttons and then skirmishes to try out the moves you've learned. Just playing through the career has helped me though the scripted stuff is annoying.

So I think I got a scripted injury in my first season after my first back to back 50 point games... the coach sat me down as I was coming back from the injury to tell me he was going to have me come off the bench until I proved myself. But I still started and they played me for over 40 minutes...
The game I came back I set a new team scoring record and it was supposed to count for 2x value as an important game or whatever. At the end of the game it showed that I had earned over 1600 VC. After the game... I had 1800 VC total and went into the game with almost 1k. Wutfux?!

RoKKeR

I haven't played a sports game outside of demos since the Gamecube era but I would love to have one to play with friends and my brother when I'm home. I played the NBA Live demo on XBO and it was ok gameplay wise and shitty graphics wise, but I don't know what's good and what isn't with sports games now.

Guess the question is, is this game good to jump in a quick match when I'm playing with friends and then mess around on my own with career modes? Seems like MyPlayer and MyGM are ok but apparently crippled by micro transactions. NBA Live was fun because my brother and I who both suck shit at sports games could just hop right in and start playing.

Thoughts?

It's the virtual currency, in game economy that is tied to everything. Want to change rotations in My GM? Spend VC. Want to have a leg up in contract negotiations? Spend VC to up your persuasion or whatever it's called. Improve your My Player stats, VC.

You can earn a minimal amount of VC through playing the game but the economy is gimped to make you feel like a chump if you don't buy VC from 2k. It's a fucking cancer. If I would have known it would be gimped this bad I wouldn't have bought it out of principle.

Virtual Currency. It plays a role in pretty much all aspects of the game. Can be bought for real money or earned by playing

This sounds like a bummer.

Top Bottom