• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

weevles

It's pretty messed up to have a feature that everyone wants to enjoy come out so drainingly unfun. It's not like MyCareer is a completely new from scratch feature either. It's been around long enough where the heavy-handed dialog, and overly scripted and linear sections should've been addressed.

NoTacos

If I've learned anything from this wonky My Career scripting is every decision is take to the EXTREME. For instance if you decide to go out with the fella's after the game you
end up with dick pics all over town and suspended a game

If you talk to this guy your agent is going to stab you in the neck...

LOL I know about going out with the fellas already. And it was a cut scene with the agent I couldn't get out of, didn't choose to do it.

Pkaz01

In mycareer does anyone know how to check the page that shows the charts with team chemistry and whether ur actions are having a positive effect or a negative one?

I remember it had the arrows going up and down and a section for fans and team chemistry but I cant seem to find it anywhere

hitme

I was thinking about asking for a trade, but I didn't want BS like this to happen lol

I got 1st rd 7th pick to the trailblazers. Just got a starting position on the rotation. Definitely a rough start but once they gave me minutes we started winning, went from last to 6th in the west conf. Mid season.

You should try and give your new teams a chance. Once you figure out how the AI plays you can just put yourself in a position to make a difference on the court.

I just got traded back to the Bucks LOL.

NoTacos

I just got traded back to the Bucks LOL.

LOOB stick with it build your player stock worth then wait till your contract is over to do free agency

Update: Ohhhh mah goodness....... my player told the agent he wasn't interested and he gave me a Rolex. dammit this ain't gonna end well.

Update 2: Ohhhh shucky ducky................ my agent found out and basically outed that shifty agent! This dude was trying to make me betray my homeboy for 25% in agent fees and shared time with 14 other athletes! Fuck that, homeboy is only charging me 10% and im the only client. If I'm the next big thing, promotions will find my agent no problem.

shaqnosis

Neo Member
Seems you're right.
from a NBA2k dev on OperationSports:

"Patch 3 is the big one folks. Lots in there, so it's requiring some solid development time. This patch just resolves a few key issues to get some people playing and to ensure a few key services are functioning correctly. The lead time on patches (from when we're done to release) for XB1/PS4 is upwards of 2 weeks depending on first party load."

Have they detailed what's coming in this patch 3?

Nyx

I feel like the normal length of a game is too long (6 minutes per quarter).
But if I change this to a shorter time the stats of my players in MyGM mode are way below the rest of the league due to lower scores.

Any fix for this? (I’ve read about changing sliders?)

What length do you guys use ?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I feel like the normal length of a game is too long (6 minutes per quarter).
But if I change this to a shorter time the stats of my players in MyGM mode are way below the rest of the league due to lower scores.

Any fix for this? (I’ve read about changing sliders?)

What length do you guys use ?

Change the simulated quarter length in the options.

edit: I play 6 minute quarters, so I set the simulated quarter length to 6 minutes also.

Double D

R6mtwlu.jpg

newsguy

Anyone figured out how to save settings? I swear that every time I play I need to go into the settings and select isomotion/shot stick. I've looked everywhere and it never saves.

HariKari

Anyone figured out how to save settings? I swear that every time I play I need to go into the settings and select isomotion/shot stick. I've looked everywhere and it never saves.

One of the many problems with this game. The sound mix is so horrible for me that I have to turn the crowd down to a minimum (where 0 is apparently not an option) to have a chance at hearing everything else. I've tried all 3 audio outs on the PS4 as well as various settings on my amp. Crowd overpowers on all of them.

My settings saved at some point—maybe once I changed them in MyCareer or GM mode. It seems like every year I have trouble getting Playvision to stick (I've been PC up until this year, and it's clear from things like the same settings wonkiness that next-gen still inherits some of the stupidest warts of previous versions).

I'm still salty over the UX design of next-gen 2k. I don't get how you can put so much energy into this game and then slap on a menu system that makes it a hassle to do anything beyond quick games.

Strax

Am I the only one that hates the subtitles being really different from what the dudes are saying in MyCareer?

It's they recorded a wrong draft of the script.

mxgt

Banned
So I just upgraded the HDD on my PS4, I played 2k14 on my US account which I don't have PS+ on so I backed up the save files to USB before putting the new drive in.

Just installed 2k14 again, same account, tried to copy the saves back and they're all showing as corrupt. They appear fine on my PC. what the fuck man, I was half way through my first season in career.

So what's a good, solid team for MyGM mode, other than your favorite team? I love my Lakers, but I don't want to play as them in NBA 2K AND watch them in real life, haha. Suggestions?

BadAss2961

N14PS-MN9L5-ARW9U-BVHME-WFQBD

Enter this exact code in the game for 2000 VC. Works for PS4/XBone until the 9th. Main menu -> Features -> Locker Codes

N14PS-6WR6J-W26LJ-VPEX3-U5TPC (PS3/360)

STA_DMAmul

Neo Member
I asked Ronnie 2K for patch notes on his playstation blog post but he only had this to say:

VdMQnaz.png

Not sure I will notice a benefit without knowing what the changes are...

Double D

Anyone else's game crashing? Just loaded up mycareer and I'm at the Rising Stars challenge. Game crashes after the other team scores.

Korezo

Is the rookie allstar game BS for anyone else? It's super hard to score and every shot gets blocked. I never had a problem scoring before... This is why I hate basketball games because the ball going in the hoop has nothing to do with the player. If the game wants me to miss I must.

Double D

Is the rookie allstar game BS for anyone else? It's super hard to score and every shot gets blocked. I never had a problem scoring before... This is why I hate basketball games because the ball going in the hoop has nothing to do with the player. If the game wants me to miss I must.

In Mycareer? My post just above yours is about how I can't get past the first score in the game without the game crashing. Searching around it seems like I'm not the only one. Doesn't seem to be any answers either.

Kai

Why can't I select a team playbook in game? I play the 96 Bulls in my season but I can't use their playbook or the triangle offense. All teams default to the 76er playbook!

So frustrating...

They need to patch this soon.

Nuklear

Banned
It's pretty messed up to have a feature that everyone wants to enjoy come out so drainingly unfun. It's not like MyCareer is a completely new from scratch feature either. It's been around long enough where the heavy-handed dialog, and overly scripted and linear sections should've been addressed.

My Career is sort of dumb. I drop 40 points in a game and the cut scenes after the game is the coach is reducing my game time because i'm under performing. It's way too scripted and it shows there isn't any room to go off 2k's script. It's a pretty disappointing mode and comes off WWE like which I can do without and it certainly doesn't help the NBA's image.

I won't even get into how VC is a huge scam. I'm so sick of this type of stuff in games now.

Newbie story:

I have never played any basketball game before but I'm seriously LOVING the MyCareer mode. The other two modes really scare me at the moment - buying packs and stuff... I don't get it.

I've gone from not doing anything right to being able to score 15-20 points a game, mostly from the post. I still go for blocks way too often and don't understand defense at all. The coach hates me and the scripted events get me in trouble every time.

Can someone gently give me a couple of hints:

- If I'm enjoying Career, are the other modes worth pushing through for a couple of hours?
- Should I be hammering the L2 + R2 as often as I seem to be? Seems I'm always boosting.
- Spending points... fucking complex, incoherent stuff but I've been slowly putting them into speed and rebounding (my dude is 7 foot).. is there a coherent strategy to all of this or is it a mess? Attribute systems are worse than any RPG I've ever seen (and I love it).
- What the hell are the symbols that appear next to me in game? Red and blue ones?
- I blocked LeBron James from a game-winning dunk and STILL got chewed out by the coach, fuck him.
- Now I know what I'm doing, should I do another preseason with another dude? I'm guessing my points are character specific, etc, and its a bit of a time investment now.
- Do people buy coins to upgrade the stats, is that what people do?

Probably been asked and answered a thousand times already, but would a non-basketball fan enjoy this? Is the game fun enough that I'll enjoy it and learn to appreciate the sport or is it more for people who are already basketball diehards?

Nyx

Probably been asked and answered a thousand times already, but would a non-basketball fan enjoy this? Is the game fun enough that I'll enjoy it and learn to appreciate the sport or is it more for people who are already basketball diehards?

It's enjoyable for anyone imo but you have to take into account that it will take awhile before you're good at the game, especially for somebody who doesn't know a thing about the rules/tactics etc.

Amory

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but the scripting in MyCareer mode is just so lame and completely unrealistic. I keep telling myself there's no point in getting frustrated when I'm scoring 40+ ppg and grabbing 8-10 boards and still not starting, but jeez.

"Congratulations here's more minutes"
"Oh you couldn't single handedly win the game tonight despite scoring 40 coming off the bench? I'm cutting your minutes!"
"Congratulations here's more minutes"
"I'm cutting your minutes again!"
"I think you'll be ready to start soon, maybe"
"I talked to coach, he thinks you're ready to start. I just think you're not quite ready"

It's just silly.

And you know, it would've been preferable to just have every player in the league speak with the same recorded voice than to have everyone except my player miming words in cutscenes.

Still love that gameplay though :) This mode just has so much potential it's frustrating to see it squandered. If it were just the least bit dynamic it would be incredible.

Hasney

I'm actually really enjoying MyCareer, even with the little niggles. Wish FIFA had this story deal or 2k did a football game.

Hasney

Anyone had issues with corrupted saves? Just gone to play now and everythings been wiped. Downloaded the cloud saves and they're doing the same thing, just wants me to restart my career.

skynidas

Banned
Guys, am I missing something???? I'm trying to play MyGM, MyPlayer, or MyCareer with my brother on the same console But I can't find the option to do this. The only way to play with a friend on the same console is via quick match??????

I have been playing this casually. I am doing MyGM, simulating games suck, Heat lose all the time and Lebron gets like 20 points a game and has horrible stats.

I want to learn how to play properly but this game gives you very little info. The tutorial just shows basic moves but that is it. I still dont understand what i should be doing with calling plays. I have no clue what I should do on defense. Players have all these special power icons that the game never explains. Is there a good faqs I can read or something?

Some guy just tried to get my player to produce his vampire movie that takes place in Alaska. Yeah, man. It's called 30 Days of Night. I'm not giving money to a plagiarist.

Hasney

The corrupted save has fucked me more than I realised. Because of the coins all being server side, I'd spent them on developing my player. Now starting again, I don't get any bonuses I already got in my first career. So because of a system to allow microtransactions, I'm fucked unless I want to play on easy or spend money.

Thanks 2k. I know what to avoid if you pull this again next year.

DryvBy

I was loving this game until I decided to play online with friends. The game has some seriously bad AI and timing issues. But really, it's the bad AI that's ruined the game. Doesn't deserve the praise it's received so far.

Here's some examples of the bad AI I'm talking about:
-Pass the ball to my player, he stands there and lets it bounce off his chest.
-3 players waiting for a rebound, opponent misses, none of my players scatter for the ball. They watch it, but don't budge at all.
-Every now and then, I've shot the ball (no one around) only to have the ball float to my opponent's hand. No arch, just flat out looks like I passed the ball to them. This usually results in the announcers and stats counting the shot as a stolen or better yet, a block.
-Randomly players are fouling a shooter, even though on a replay they didn't reach for the ball or get near the shooter.
-Diving for the ball, resulting in out of bounds when they could hustle to just grab the ball.
-Passing the ball out of bounds.
-Doing a layup behind the goal, out of bounds.
-Leaving shooters open because the AI isn't moving around the court anymore. :/

This happens to me only online and it's really annoying. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yaari

Is there a tutorial in the game? I have no idea what I am doing, first NBA game ever. I like it but I'd love to know how to properly defend, I am just mashing on buttons.

The corrupted save has fucked me more than I realised. Because of the coins all being server side, I'd spent them on developing my player. Now starting again, I don't get any bonuses I already got in my first career. So because of a system to allow microtransactions, I'm fucked unless I want to play on easy or spend money.

Yeah same exact thing happened to me. No way in hell I'm buying vc or going through the same scripted cut scenes a 3rd time.

vpance

Man up son, and trudge through those early games at 25 stat rating where you can't make a shot at all and move like a geriatric, lol.

I'm about halfway past through my rookie season and can finally hit jumpers.

casmith07

I was loving this game until I decided to play online with friends. The game has some seriously bad AI and timing issues. But really, it's the bad AI that's ruined the game. Doesn't deserve the praise it's received so far.

Here's some examples of the bad AI I'm talking about:
-Pass the ball to my player, he stands there and lets it bounce off his chest.
-3 players waiting for a rebound, opponent misses, none of my players scatter for the ball. They watch it, but don't budge at all.
-Every now and then, I've shot the ball (no one around) only to have the ball float to my opponent's hand. No arch, just flat out looks like I passed the ball to them. This usually results in the announcers and stats counting the shot as a stolen or better yet, a block.
-Randomly players are fouling a shooter, even though on a replay they didn't reach for the ball or get near the shooter.
-Diving for the ball, resulting in out of bounds when they could hustle to just grab the ball.
-Passing the ball out of bounds.
-Doing a layup behind the goal, out of bounds.
-Leaving shooters open because the AI isn't moving around the court anymore. :/

This happens to me only online and it's really annoying. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes. I was playing online and it was just a joke. Besides the input lag, which makes sports games virtually unplayable for me online, the bone-headedness of my teammates was absurd.

DryvBy

Yes. I was playing online and it was just a joke. Besides the input lag, which makes sports games virtually unplayable for me online, the bone-headedness of my teammates was absurd.

So others are experiencing this too I guess. Seriously makes me hate reviews more and more when I see them. The game is broken on release yet gets 8.5s? Battlefield 4, broken, gets 8.5? Why even review a game if you're not going to be honest?

Top Bottom