• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Good lookin out gatekeeper

Another thing to hate. Why can't 2k let us use the PS keyboard interface?

VC still doesn't sync up with "My Career" too bad.

Lexxism

Hmmm. Weird. Why isn't my VC unified? It's like mycareer has its own VC and not together with mygm vc. Anyone else having the same problem?

Zafir

Yes they do, I've used every code for upgrading my guy in MyCareer.
Same.

That said I don't think I can be bothered with Career any more so I probably shouldn't have. The scripted stuff is just such bullshit. It's such a shame, because if it wasn't for it(and the microtransactions), the career could have been so much more.

vpance

The user's AI always plays with the lowest awareness. Plus the CPU AI is always godlike in the paint, no matter who it is. Every big man is dominant inside, while yours will miss point-blank layups at the slightest bit of defensive presence. Every PG can finish like D.Rose and sink floaters like Tony Parker.

The only way to stop it is to get better at taking matters into your own hands and contesting/blocking shots yourself.

So basically you're forced to play like Superman. Not sure how to feel about that. Maybe bumping up the defense assist slider would make things feel more realistic?

I am still kinda digging the progression of MyPlayer at the moment, and trying to play as smart as possible with my limited skills.

Always crash the boards regardless of the team your on or playing against. Quite often you'll find yourself grabbing rebounds somebody else would of, should of gotten. If you're leaving your assignment to crash or double team just make sure he's not a 3 point deadeye.

Oh I am, and I do manage to get a few rebounds despite my crap skill in it. I was trying a little earlier to quickly switch to a 2-3 defense if their bigs start to roll into the paint. Results are spotty, still got to experiment with that, lol. Basically it's either let em score or commit a foul so far.

Korezo

Hmmm. Weird. Why isn't my VC unified? It's like mycareer has its own VC and not together with mygm vc. Anyone else having the same problem?

Me. I've had a ticket in with 2k for going on a month now.

Wierd I thought MyGM and MyTeam was its own VC, the only thing Unified for me is MyCareer and NBA Today with all the modes within that. I though 2k kept some stuff seperate to be asses to make people pay more. Now I think mine is broken to, this game is a damn joke.

Lexxism

This game is so fck up. Can you guys purchase an accessories for your myplayer? Like headband, sleeves etc? They completely remove that feature with my game.

So i am a Wii U only owner. I have a laptop from a couple years ago. I need this game in my life. I will post the specs can someone tell me if my laptop will run this game.

CPU: Intel Core 2 @2.8 GHZ 6MB L2 Cache

RAM: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800 MHZ

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 3650

Laptop is HP Elite 8530p
By what I understand, NBA 2K14 for the PC is not the same code as in the PS4 . . . you may be better off with NBA 2K13 for your WiiU.

Riggs

Banned
Haven't had any issues with this.

They are completely gone Smoke =P

They were making My Career crash for tons of people, so 2k just took them the fuck out .... lol.

All head bands, ankle bracelets etc, all you can buy is like tats, shoes, glass's, hats, and shitty team items. My player stuck in long sock suck mode 4 life it seems.

My dude has been 99 for a while now, it's kind of boring but I might just make a PG. Being capped at 75 pass fucking sucks (SF) !

Bassun

Is there any way to edit the shoes in the game? I'm trying to change Paul George's Hyperdunks to the yellow ones he uses in real life but I can't find the option to anywhere

BadAss2961

- Fixed a bug where user Settings weren’t properly saving in specific situations.

- Fixed an issue where the rebound button would sometimes be ignored when engaged in a boxout.

- Tuned shot blocking logic such that defenders are more aware of attempting blocks when the ball is still rising, and less likely to target the ball on its way down (when goaltending will be called).

- Players who successfully block a shot are now more aware and will have a greater chance of recovering the loose ball if it falls nears them.

- Pump Fakes have been tuned to correct an issue where some players would twitch when performing the fake.
l4dZoL2.gif

Hasney

Did the patch say anything about the myplayer store?

- Fixed a hang that was known to occur when loading save files where a purchased accessory had been equipped.

Dunno if it means they're coming back or what.

EDIT: Other LOL notes

- The in-performance VC earnings overlay will now match what is actually given to the user upon returning to the travel scene between games.

- Addressed discrepancies between dynamic goals and follow-up press conferences, headlines, and social media messages.

- Fixed an issue where the reporter would reference a stat incorrectly when asking the user a press conference question after a played game.

But coaches still don't bother I take it then.

I'm starting to get fed up with some of these goals "Score 6 points in 2 minutes or else" hey coach how about you go fuck yourself

oh my god

LOL 2k

http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/12/1...roblems-continue-for-troubled-game#more-85377

The highly anticipated patch for NBA 2K14 released today on the Xbox One and is expected within a matter of days on the PS4. The update was meant to address the crashes being experienced by many in MyCareer and other modes while also offering various fixes, improvements, and additions. Given that some consumers have been unable to play 2K14 the crashing was obviously the priority here.

Unfortunately the patch does not appear to provide the solution to the crashing problems. Reports of crashing continuing post-patch have started flowing in. To make things even worse MyPlayers have been stripped of everything that had been equipped on them. Go to The Park and you’ll see everyone wearing default gear. Many of these things now missing were actually secured by people after having spent actual money on them and it’s unclear why this has happened.

It doesn’t appear that any changes have been made to the VC economy either despite the overwhelming backlash against the implementation and its payouts and costs.

NBA 2K14 has stumbled ever since what at first was perceived to be a strong launch. From all the instances of crashing, to the VC complaints, lapsing roster updates – and now a patch that has failed to address the issues properly – it’s been a rough month for 2K Sports which has taken unanticipated hits to its prized brand. For those still having serious trouble with the game it might be time to start pursuing refunds and leaving complaints with the Better Business Bureau.

I am down with the bolded

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one frustrated by this game, should have probably went with FIFA 14 instead :/

I'm a basketball noob and this game is definitely not beginner friendly. I get my ass handed to me even on rookie with all the sliders in my favour :S

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one frustrated by this game, should have probably went with FIFA 14 instead :/

I'm a basketball noob and this game is definitely not beginner friendly. I get my ass handed to me even on rookie with all the sliders in my favour :S

It's not just you. I have been playing 2K regularly since 2K10 and I still don't have this game down. Granted I didn't play the last-gen version so it's still a little new, but still. I can dominate in MyCareer but any other mode, especially online, I have trouble defending and shooting. I hate how you can't press people anymore. They just slip around you so easily, I used to full court press people online all the time with the PG now it's damn near impossible.

DietRob

So big patch, lots of minor improvements and I really hope these things work out but that link from Pasta doesn't really make it all sound very promising. Pretty salty that there is nothing in the patch notes about unifying VC for those of us seeing that issue.

I've been playing the envelope game with the 2k app for a few weeks and have amassed over 40k in VC that I can't use in My Career. And I've never been able to use the shoes and accessories on my player, store has never been there.

Bleh..

Fuck defense in this fucking game, holy shit I am about to go insane. Somebody help.
I turn on defensive assist strength up to 50, try it higher if you want your guys to be tighter

always be holding l2 so you are squared up and you can use right stick to influence someone a direction. and most of all know who you are against and what you are willing to give up

something I have found helpful for both offense and defense is to pay attention to points of emphasis. if i am playing a player or team that I know likes certain things or have certain strengths i try to take that away and make them take something less favorable

I have found on offense it is really helpful to constantly press L1 especially if you are in a quandry and need to keep the ball moving or players. usually it will call the play most appropriate to where your players are

if you see your opponent denying the play or if it didn't work for some reason you can press again for an alternate. this is often where "flex" playcalling comes into place

for instance my primary, with miami, often is to get shooters open in space or to play pick and roll with wade and lebron. if those plays bust up my "flex" can be post up with those two. so before i play my games I set my playbooks (still can't save for online....) and have those two's playcalls be "pick and roll ball handler, isolation, low/high post, mid-range"

for my shooters i usually have three pointers or midrange for their plays---when I play people sometimes they sniff out what I am trying to do and take it away (ray allen coming off a screen) so they try to deny it---a lot of times this opens something else up, like more driving lanes

hope this helps a few people. it really helps to know the game and personnel but if you don't this can help things flow better so it doesn't seem like random shit all the time. i have found constantly calling plays useful especially cause otherwise they do dumb shit

Mrbob

Between BF4 and NBA2K14, it is only a matter of time before one of these companies get hit with a class action lawsuit for releasing incomplete broken games.

ahartig

So I would like some input from some fellow gamers. I am thinking about purchasing this game due to the great reviews and amazing visuals.

I have never really played NBA games, my last "real" NBA game besides NBA Jam was probably a NBA live on the Sega Genesis....

Is there a pretty steep learning curve? I consider myself a decent gamer and fairly skilled at other games, although Madden and FIFA games tend to send me into rages at times due to how horrible I am at them and because the football/soccer player doesn't do what I "want" him to do.

Also, is there an online 5v5 multiplayer option?

Korezo

So big patch, lots of minor improvements and I really hope these things work out but that link from Pasta doesn't really make it all sound very promising. Pretty salty that there is nothing in the patch notes about unifying VC for those of us seeing that issue.

I've been playing the envelope game with the 2k app for a few weeks and have amassed over 40k in VC that I can't use in My Career. And I've never been able to use the shoes and accessories on my player, store has never been there.

Bleh..

I finally unified all my VC, all I had to do was delete MyGm and start a new save and now it has all my accumulated VC from other modes. I think people have problems because at launch psn service was busted and if you launched any mode offline you would start the mode with separate VC since it couldn't link or check online. Luckily I was only 5 games into MyGm season so I decided to delete and retry.

RoKKeR

I turn on defensive assist strength up to 50, try it higher if you want your guys to be tighter

always be holding l2 so you are squared up and you can use right stick to influence someone a direction. and most of all know who you are against and what you are willing to give up

something I have found helpful for both offense and defense is to pay attention to points of emphasis. if i am playing a player or team that I know likes certain things or have certain strengths i try to take that away and make them take something less favorable

I have found on offense it is really helpful to constantly press L1 especially if you are in a quandry and need to keep the ball moving or players. usually it will call the play most appropriate to where your players are

if you see your opponent denying the play or if it didn't work for some reason you can press again for an alternate. this is often where "flex" playcalling comes into place

for instance my primary, with miami, often is to get shooters open in space or to play pick and roll with wade and lebron. if those plays bust up my "flex" can be post up with those two. so before i play my games I set my playbooks (still can't save for online....) and have those two's playcalls be "pick and roll ball handler, isolation, low/high post, mid-range"

for my shooters i usually have three pointers or midrange for their plays---when I play people sometimes they sniff out what I am trying to do and take it away (ray allen coming off a screen) so they try to deny it---a lot of times this opens something else up, like more driving lanes

hope this helps a few people. it really helps to know the game and personnel but if you don't this can help things flow better so it doesn't seem like random shit all the time. i have found constantly calling plays useful especially cause otherwise they do dumb shit
Thanks for this post, definitely helps and I'm going to try out a lot of your suggestions.

PS4

1 game in since the latest patch AllStar Simulation default settings, Heat Vs. Lakers. It seem to now play a competent brand of basketball the P.O.E. limit perimeter shots has improved. The CPU A.I. on Offense isn't a chicken with its head cut off driving to the basket on every play. I understand MyGM is still Messed up, but I can't front on the gameplay side after 1 game it's a big leap, I hope this isn't a placebo type deal going on here. I'll chime in after about 10 or so games from different teams to see if styles makes fights.

This slider has nothing to do with defensive tight coverage. Defense assist is all about controlling your player, it is set at the default of 50. If you want the CPU to contol the player more you up tick, If the end-user wants more control you down click. I always set mine to 0 because I want the control of the player.

Double D

The bug in MyCareer where the game crashes after the first basket scored in the Rising Stars game is still present after the patch. I've had a support ticket open with 2K and they've done nothing.

I even asked them to just give me VC I earned so I can start over MyCareer and they haven't done that. Zero resolution. I guess I'll try getting a refund.

DietRob

I finally unified all my VC, all I had to do was delete MyGm and start a new save and now it has all my accumulated VC from other modes. I think people have problems because at launch psn service was busted and if you launched any mode offline you would start the mode with separate VC since it couldn't link or check online. Luckily I was only 5 games into MyGm season so I decided to delete and retry.

Ah, good I'm glad you resolved your issue on your own, 2k for damn sure isn't going to help. My problem is exactly what you stated. I bought the game and foolishly expected the product to work as intended so I started "My Career" on day one. I haven't played another mode so I've got nothing else to delete. Last night I finished my first season in my career. So I guess if I want to 'fix' it I'll have to accept starting completely over. Something I'm really not willing to do.

Honestly this game is the most infuriating addiction I've had in a while. First of all VC sucks but I've dealt with it thanks to a healthy dose of simming myGm while watching television. It still took forever and I probably wont start another player or career or anything ever.
The biggest issue I have now is how easy it is to make this thing crash, simply manipulating the menu system too fast can cause a crash. Check out your stats, mash R2 to get to signature skills, crash happens(this is on ps4 dont know about xbone).
The game also kept crashing during myPlayer practice because I was wearing custom shoes(which I bought with VC) which I managed to remove to bypass that crash. It's so bad they had to remove all accesories from the game because they caused crashes -- so now your created baller will never be able to wear 4 sleeves, some goggles and more.

Not only that but the storyline/gameplay in myPlayer is super lolworthy, my 85 rated player riding the bench after our main pg went out for 8 weeks and was replaced by a 66 rated generated rookie was nonsensical. To add to that by the time I finally go to start my entire team had been traded away, which makes the rookie hazing I endured to get good team chemistry going even funnier. I've had 2 endorsement deals vanish in myPlayer too, my agent is like what do you want sprite or sprint, so I'm like sprite but nothing ever happened and it was never mentioned again. Prior to that he said something about me winning 6 out of 10 games to sign with KIA, I won 9 out of 10 and nothing happened nor was it ever mentioned again. He just offered me a gatorade deal that requires me to score above my season average for 10 games, I can probably do that but I imagine nothing will happen yet again. I made the slam dunk contest but nothing ever happened and it simmed right past that to the start of the allstar game, no further mention of any slam dunk contest. Cutscenes are great but they're dumb as hell if they just tell me lies.

On the gameplay front defense is broken for users, maintaining contact or just initiating contact is a game of chance and if the cpu wants to get into the lane it will -- for a user on offense the exact opposite happens and a 99 speed, 99 quickness, 99 handling PG will be unable to make a move to get past a center and will just be ridden along the perimiter for half of the shotclock. The AI imbalance is also super silly, my teammates are honest to god retards that never make a cut, never contest a three, never do anything I'm not directly telling them to do -- if they do take any initiative it's a retarded 10 second dribble fest to get into position for the most horrible contested layup you will ever see. They also can't make wide open layups on a fast break, not that a fastbreak is possible since centers can catch up to my 99 speed pg and stop him dead in his tracks with a contact animation.

Speaking of contact animations -- they're currently destroying the passing game. If you press pass while in a contact animation it will play the entire animation before making the pass at which point the person you were passing it too is covered -- I've averaged 4.4 turnovers per game through the season and as a result I pass the ball less and less. I'm okay with this though, since the A.I on my teammates is so retarded they refuse to take a wide open jumper and are only good from 2 feet and in. And by good I mean atleast they'll attempt a shot. On defense they will never guard the perimiter and will leave their man in a futile attempt to provide help defense for you. At which point they run into you triggering some sort of teammate contact animation which means 2 people are out of the play and the cpu has both the easy layup and the wide open three always available. You can't stop this help defense at all and as a result the cpu will rain down threes all day long with impunity, I lost a game to the bucks where they shot like 20 out of 25 threes in the first half alone.

On-ball defense is so broken, the only succesful defense I have found is to sit in the passing lane waiting for an easy steal and the chasedown block if they try to go for a layup. If you do cause a loose ball situation you're going to have to pray the cpu is having a bad day though because they will respond to that loose ball in milliseconds.
Having a guy pick up his own blocked shot and go on to make a layup should not be something you see multiple times every game. Seeing your pg swipe the ball loose only to stand there looking at it like a tard while the cpu picks it up should not be happening every game. As my final point I'd wish they'd stop input scanning so overtly, watching the cpu instantly pass out of a shot with pinpoint accuracy the second I press block is mindblowingly infuriating. Same goes for doing a crossover the instant I touch my steal button, the cpu on defense moving in the direction I've just tilted my stick in long before my player actually moves, it just looks and feels super silly. Like I'm playing against a psychic mind reader actually.

BadAss2961

Good patch. Just had one of my better games the first time playing it.

- Defense and rebounding is a lot better now. Teammates actually get the ball after blocked shots. Boxing out and grabbing rebounds actually works consistently.

- Finishing after fouls feels more natural.

- Everyone pump fakes correctly

- At team select in MyGM, you can switch over to the opponent's side and change their jersey.

- Thibodeau is properly fat now.

Good shit.

Yopis

Playing defense in the game is pretty easy, if you know what to do. Your not running to the ball carrier. Just shade the offensive player into other parts of the defense or baseline. Keep them shaded away from the lane and paint. Only use L2 when directly in front of offensive guy. Use L2+R2 when going under screens. Sometimes they make tough shots. Playing defense is my fav part in close games. Blowing out cpu teams on higher difficulty is fun.

Took a bit of watching NBA games and getting feel back. Been a few years since I bought 2k basketball. Glad to hear rebounds are better post patch.

wtf

I'm playing a season as the Raps and the Knicks proposed...

Fields and Novak for 2015 1st rounder and.......Andrea Bargnani........*facepalm*

This slider has nothing to do with defensive tight coverage. Defense assist is all about controlling your player, it is set at the default of 50. If you want the CPU to contol the player more you up tick, If the end-user wants more control you down click. I always set mine to 0 because I want the control of the player.

When I have mine on 0 I noticed my guy slides around way too much and I can't control him. Putting it at 50 is right for me cause it's right in between too much and too little.

I also wish I could play in broadcast cam more cause it looks soooo fucking nice, but post play is so shitty

I also had a period where I gave up on icon passing cause sometimes it doesn't work and it PISSES ME OFF but then I found that directional passing can be fucking stupid too. Back to icon passing!

I am sorry to be a triple poster but lol this game doesn't acknowledge the existence of quadruple doubles. in my first game post-patch, I got 29 points, 14 rebounds, 13 blocks, 11 assists, and it all still says "triple double!"

also...weren't blocks supposed to be harder? 13 blocks lol

and I just got to the "ejection" game. bismack biyombo fouled demarcus cousins too hard and I stood up for him. I got your back boogie! and this made my teammate chemistry go to 92%, yay for that beta dog badge

Top Bottom