• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

Zafir

I haven't played a sports game outside of demos since the Gamecube era but I would love to have one to play with friends and my brother when I'm home. I played the NBA Live demo on XBO and it was ok gameplay wise and shitty graphics wise, but I don't know what's good and what isn't with sports games now.

Guess the question is, is this game good to jump in a quick match when I'm playing with friends and then mess around on my own with career modes? Seems like MyPlayer and MyGM are ok but apparently crippled by micro transactions. NBA Live was fun because my brother and I who both suck shit at sports games could just hop right in and start playing.

Thoughts?

This sounds like a bummer.

Not that I care much for reviewers, but, the reviews for NBA Live were pretty catastrophic weren't they?

I've yet to buy any coins in the career and it's still playable, it's just your player progresses quite slowly. That said you can make use of the App/Locker Codes(One was posted last page I think?) you can get a decent early boost.

Not that I care much for reviewers, but, the reviews for NBA Live were pretty catastrophic weren't they?

I've yet to buy any coins in the career and it's still playable, it's just your player progresses quite slowly. That said you can make use of the App/Locker Codes(One was posted last page I think?) you can get a decent early boost.

It also depends on what you are wanting out of the modes. If you really care about doing a the little stuff like making your character and having him get really good stats and clothes then yeah, the currency is going to affect you. If you just want to pick a team and play through a season and not worry about contracts and scouting and stuff then it probably won't affect you much.

I haven't gotten too far in to it but I like just messing around and haven't really had a problem with VC

RoKKeR

Holy shit this whole NBA TODAY thing is amazing! "The Jazz coming off a tough loss to the Spurs on Saturday night..."

I definitely did a double take. So cool!

Ensoul

Anybody else notice how hard it is to get assists? Whenever I make a nice inside pass like 80% of the time the AI misses. Very frustrating.

wowlace

So I think I got a scripted injury in my first season after my first back to back 50 point games... the coach sat me down as I was coming back from the injury to tell me he was going to have me come off the bench until I proved myself. But I still started and they played me for over 40 minutes...
The game I came back I set a new team scoring record and it was supposed to count for 2x value as an important game or whatever. At the end of the game it showed that I had earned over 1600 VC. After the game... I had 1800 VC total and went into the game with almost 1k. Wutfux?!

I get duped with the VC all the time too mang. Earn 800 plus, actually get about 700. Game is just filthy bugged. Settings do not save no matter if you set in the menu or in game. Sent a request to 2K last week, still no response. Last 2K I will buy I think.

They removed a tonne of features and added more bugs. Poor effort and reviews out there do not reflect this. Reviewers are useless these days, I'm not buying a game until ~3 weeks post release now. Check out gaf for the review.

Takuan

What the fuck, I got turned down by Sprite for some odd reason. I'm pretty sure the condition was to just score above your season average for 10 games. I played maybe 3 or 4 and bested my average by 10ppg, but suddenly got the "they decided to go in another direction" cutscene after a loss. Again, what the fuck?

Anybody else notice how hard it is to get assists? Whenever I make a nice inside pass like 80% if the time the AI misses. Very frustrating.

Yup, they can be wide open and miss. It seems to be purely a statistical thing, and more often than not they will hit or get fouled (and proceed to miss FTs), but DAMN is it frustrating when they miss gimmes. Heck, all your AI teammates seem to miss shots as long as a defender happens to be standing within arm's length. Meanwhile, the AI has zero trouble hitting turnaround fadeaways on Roy Hibbert, even scrubs known for having no post game whatsoever. Guys who, in real life, couldn't hit those types of shots with NO D on 'em if their life depended on it.

Really the on court game is good fun. I feel you have to have some kind of bball knowledge to play well, especially at the higher difficulties. The VC stuff almost completely ruins the game though.

That being said myplayer point guard is raw. I think I have him rated at 80? Would like to try him on the park, but I'm sure that's broken lol
Knowledge of the game goes a long way for your player's performance (dropped 30+ easily once I hit the mid-70s and I haven't legit played 2K since '09), but your AI squad mates are fucking abysmal a LOT of the time. They'll be in perfect position for a rebound and not react AT ALL to the ball, and they seem to not react to loose balls often, in general. Hell, even my player doesn't seem to react to the ball after a strip quickly enough, there's just a weird pause during a strip that prevents you from getting at it unless it falls a very particular way. I'm curious if all this applies in the vanilla mode using standard rosters...

VC shenanigans are all up in this. I loaded up the game the other day after the Park crashed on me the night before. 1310 VC. Started up MyCareer, and suddenly I have ~700 VC. What the shit, brehs?? Anyway, how do the locker codes work? That's too many characters to be redeemable from the PS Store, so I'm guessing they're redeemed in-game via other means. A free 5K would be sweet, though I don't know if I'll be able to redeem before it expires.

Smokey

Really the on court game is good fun. I feel you have to have some kind of bball knowledge to play well, especially at the higher difficulties. The VC stuff almost completely ruins the game though.

That being said myplayer point guard is raw. I think I have him rated at 80? Would like to try him on the park, but I'm sure that's broken lol

Holy shit this whole NBA TODAY thing is amazing! "The Jazz coming off a tough loss to the Spurs on Saturday night..."

I definitely did a double take. So cool!

If you listen to the commentators they actually talk about what real players did on their last game. E.g. "LeBron James had a spectacular game last night..." and it will give you their actual stats.... That's pretty cool!

Takuan

Does hitting the block button actually initiate a block attempt from the teammate AI? I swear it does. I'm okay with getting Bad Block Attempts if it means my teammates will actually bother to contest shots they're supposed to.

Alrhght, is they any secret to getting defensive rebounds? I loose so many of them it's very frustrating.
Boxing out, positioning, high vert and high defensive rebound setting. I grab quite a bit of d-boards with a vert of 75 and dRb of 60 (maxed for a PG).

Oh, that reminds me of another annoyance with this game - losing player rating for not boxing out after a good shot defense. SMH.

Went digital like an idiot. Lesson learned.
Downside of digital. I just buy stuff at dirt cheap prices, tho.

This game keeps resetting my sliders/preferences in the options menu EVERY time I start it up. It's fucking annoying.
It really is. I just want the damned game to save my right-stick settings, man. ABSOLUTE. STAY ABSOLUTE.

The menus are buggy too. In MyCareer, pressing triangle at a particular skill will typically take you right to its detailed description, but for some reason it doesn't do that for the player perks. They're such small things to address, but they've been in there since day 1. Christ.

No Love

Banned
This game keeps resetting my sliders/preferences in the options menu EVERY time I start it up. It's fucking annoying.

Really thinking about trading this into Gamestop. I only paid $28 for it and Gamestop will give me $40. Maybe I'll rebuy this when it's $10. :\

Takuan

Best next-gen game easily

money well spent, would buy again
I was like you, once. The more I play, the more the game's flaws and shortcuts become readily apparent.

I wish they had made a new NBA Jams instead of this.

This game is just too technical and simulation in style for me.
Can't you switch to Arcade-style gameplay? Once you get a handle of the movement, you should be easily draining 3s and dunking on everybody.

So today they had a giveaway for NBA 2K14 for Diamond Kobe in MyTeam. I sat waiting for them to put the code up, as soon as it came up I started entering it only for the game to crash back to the dash. By the time I got back in and entered the code they had all been redeemed. So disappointed that I missed out because their product is buggy :(

RoKKeR

How in the fuck do you play defense on this game haha. I try to pick a guy, stay on my man but when that happens my team shits the bed and the other guys get open looks.

HariKari

How in the fuck do you play defense on this game haha. I try to pick a guy, stay on my man but when that happens my team shits the bed and the other guys get open looks.

Short of stealing or blocking, you just hope for varying levels of shitting the bed from your AI teammates. It's always fun when your center comes out to cover their point guard, even though you are right on him, and someone immediately gets the ball under the basket. You can see it coming a mile away and there's nothing you can do except pray for a superman block.

Often times teammates will get in your way when a guy is driving to the net. They won't contest or attempt a block, but they will block your attempt at defending by moving between you and the opponent driving to the net. It's infuriating.

VC seems broken? I earned 1500+ VC in a key game. When I go back out to spend it, it says I only have 1100 total. On top of the long loading times and slow VC earning rate, this game is really starting to annoy me.

HariKari

VC seems broken? I earned 1500+ VC in a key game. When I go back out to spend it, it says I only have 1100 total. On top of the long loading times and slow VC earning rate, this game is really starting to annoy me.

Yes, a small amount of VC usually evaporates between the award screen and when you actually load back into the menus. 200-300 is missing, usually. Just one of many things wrong with the game.

Jimrpg

I returned my sealed copy... was going to wait until it was fixed... but don't think the micro transactions will be taken out now. surely if these micro transactions break the game all the reviews are incorrect AND Visual Concepts surely knew this when they went to plan out all their patch updates and DLC... this is really screwing the fan base over.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Yes, a small amount of VC usually evaporates between the award screen and when you actually load back into the menus. 200-300 is missing, usually. Just one of many things wrong with the game.

Yea, apparently we are not immune from paying taxes on our salaries. Dat realizm. smh

DietRob

For all the crap EA gets for being anti-consumer, I honestly believe 2K Games is even worse when it comes to anti-consumer practices.

Having no competition for the past 3 years certainly hasn't helped matters. It lets visual concepts get by with all types of shady bullshit.

RoKKeR

Still learning the ropes hear, but I find myself being absolutely unable to drive at all. I always get stopped by a defender.

I don't use the R stick btw

Takuan

I redeemed the 5k and lost it immediately upon entering my career. This is some bullshit.

Main menu shows 6000+ now... What the fuck is the shit. I thought the whole damned point was that VC is a unified currency?!

HariKari

When you are defending? Stand in a passing lane and hit square, it will attempt an intercept. Try tapping square when behind a guy, it will poke the ball loose. Or use triangle to attempt a block when you are nearby. Only attempt a frontal steal if you have high steal rating and perks, or if the player is in the middle of making a dribble move.

samman6

This game is great if you don't care about mygm or myplayer, I just load up the NBA today and find one game that looks interesting and play that. It is a lot of fun. I changed the slider to dunks all the way up.

I wish they had made a new NBA Jams instead of this.

This game is just too technical and simulation in style for me.
I hear that. I just want Vince Carter to dunk, instead of inputting the wrong command that results in an awkward back-breaking layup from directly under the basket (which is a curiously high percentage shot all things considered).

Now awaiting Vince-related jokes.

Carbonox

I'll be in the US in February and was contemplating picking this up then due to the significant price difference there and in the UK. I know the PS4 is region free so it shouldn't be an issue playing a US copy of NBA 2k14 on a European PS4, right? No features or anything that could be affected?

I haven't bought a game in a totally different region before, hence my question.

As frustrated as I am at this rip-off of a game, for some reason I still continue to play the odd match (frustration levels due to scripted victories get beyond me after 2 matches or so) ..but when NBA2K14 works, it works really well .. a thing of beauty.

From previous iterations, 2KSports have managed to:

• Fix the steal percentage (you used to be called for a foul 99% of the time)
  • Blocking is more frequent & credible (if a little exaggerated)
  • Fast breaks are possible
  • Rebounding possible
  • If you listen to the commentary, it has the odd hidden clue into how the match should be played. They talk about a lot of points inside the paint which is your cue to go Zone D, if they mention your smoking it from outside, continue to put up 3's as they'll have a better chance of going in .. dunno, but to me the commentary drops the odd hint as to how the scripted match is to be played. (probably only for myCareer, a normal, quick play match would be a non-scripted affair I'd wager)
  • ISO Stick (once gotten used to - I'm about 60% there) is actually rather nifty and when you manage to put a few moves together and net one, it does look rather slick and satisfactory.
    I also noticed last night that the animations for spectacular dunks start just inside the 3 point line this year - waaaay too far out, which will take some getting used to. So you best have a LOT of energy in your bar before attempting it :)
it's a shame the satsfaction is eroded once you get back to the main menu and you're raped of your VC for a poxy tattoo or stock animation ..

B

DietRob

I redeemed the 5k and lost it immediately upon entering my career. This is some bullshit.

Main menu shows 6000+ now... What the fuck is the shit. I thought the whole damned point was that VC is a unified currency?!

Same thing happened to me. Used the $10 credit that came with ps4, I have an assload of vc outside of career. Don't bother putting in a ticket with 2k, I did that 2 weeks ago describing the problem still haven't heard jack shit from them. Even called last week and they assured me my ticket was being escalated, lol.

I want to sell the game but feel like I'd miss not being able to play it, but I don't enjoy it. I tried and gm the other day and you guys weren't kidding about vc being ridiculous in that mode. You don't even earn it frequently in my gm but they expect you to spend it there smh.

Not to mention the cost of shot close,med, and long being increased ridiculously since the last version; I mean 2000 vc just to upgrade 1 point? Get the hell outta here 2k.

Future

So wait a minute. Are people saying there are GTA style bugs as well where your VC currency just disappears on its own? So even if you fall into their trap and buy VC it may just go away?

Straight up criminal if that's what people are saying

Takuan

So wait a minute. Are people saying there are GTA style bugs as well where your VC currency just disappears on its own? So even if you fall into their trap and buy VC it may just go away?

Straight up criminal if that's what people are saying
Correct. And there are bugs causing VC amounts to vary between screens/modes. 2K really need to acknowledge that there's a problem and temporarily halt VC sales while they work on this. They're about to lose a customer for life if silence is all we're gonna get.

Zafir

I'll be in the US in February and was contemplating picking this up then due to the significant price difference there and in the UK. I know the PS4 is region free so it shouldn't be an issue playing a US copy of NBA 2k14 on a European PS4, right? No features or anything that could be affected?

I haven't bought a game in a totally different region before, hence my question.
Plays fine. The only problem you'll have is with DLC. You'd need to buy DLC from the US PSN store. Coins I'm not sure about either, you may have to buy them on a US account too.

isb

Banned
Insane buyers remorse by this game. MyCareer is extremely cringe worthy and scripted. Game on the court is scripted hard as well, if you're loosing by 15p you can make any 3p you want, and viceversa if you're up 15p, then you can't hit a 3 even if you're life depend on it.

And the VC coins... Don't get me started. Good thing I got it dirt cheap off Amazon digital download.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Noticed that nobody has the platinum yet, and looking at the trophies... will anybody realistically get this trophy?

Top Bottom