• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA commissioner changes stance, says changes are needed in regards to hack-a-player

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The shot clock was instituted because it was an effective strategy against a single player.

Same with the 3 second rule, the free throw line plane, the lane width and goaltending. It's been a pretty standard practice in basketball.

http://www.school-for-champions.com/sports/basketball_players_who_caused_rule_changes.htm

My favorite of the listed ones:

Wilt Chamberlain: Free throw plane

When Wilt Chamberlain was in high school, he had a unique way of shooting free-throws. He would stand at the top of the key, throw the ball up toward the basket, take two steps, jump toward the rim and jam the ball through the net. Doing this resulted in basketball rules to state that a player cannot cross the plane of the free-throw line when shooting a free-throw.

In 1956, during his freshman year in college, the NCAA banned dunking free throws, as a result of rumors that Chamberlain had been doing that in high school. Later, the NBA also banned dunking free throws.

Although Chamberlain had problems shooting free-throws throughout his career, the rule did not really improve his already dominant game.

Good, they make rule changes all the time to make the product more entertaining for the fans and nothing is worse to watch than hack-a-player. And they should make things like what happened in that Drummond gif a flagrant foul. Big men have it tough enough with modern rules without players being able to injure them with obnoxious shit like that.

Faddy

Banned
why reward the two or three chumps who couldn't pull off free throws?

Maybe you should move the 3 point line in too so that midrange shooters can make those shots while youre at it

Why have a rule where turnovers are created via foul play.

There are very few examples in other sports where breaking the rules gives that team an advantage.

The timeout, advance the ball to half-court, rule is something that makes no sense for fairness but is around because how much it helps with watch-ability and drama of the final second or 2 of a game.

Chichikov

TBH, the intentional fouling of a player is probably saving some injuries here and there because if they eliminate the current practice, you're going to start seeing players chop down hard on DeAndre Jordan's arms the second he touches the ball in the offensive zone. Same with Howard and Drummond.

It wouldn't be gentle, stop the play, intentional fouling as we know it... it'll be hard, slap at the arms, aggressive, make-sure-he-doesn't-get-an-easy-layup fouling that will essentially be an extension of the same practice that people complain about now.
I seriously doubt that would happen, it's very easy to foul a player with the ball without putting him in any sort of risk.
The issue here are fouls away from the ball, I doubt they change much about the way fouls are called on players with the ball.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Teams before every game have assigned a "designated shooter"
Back up assigned also if available. If both not available then player takes shots.
(Give them an insignia showcasing it, hell make it an armband or wristband. Might even be a sellable merchandise item)

Before 2 minutes, 1+1 and ball back
During 2 minutes, Designated Shooter rule in effect
(Each Quarter)

Timeouts, 3 Full, 2 20 sec each half
Can also give option to coaches the 2 full and 4 20 sec TO's option before game.
Add that "stra-tee-gery"

I want a 4 point line and a shot from the other side of the court be worth 5

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'd imagine they do something like if a player gets fouled in the backcourt, the fouled team gets 1 free throw (anyone can take it) and the ball out of bounds at midcourt. It gives the defense another shot at stealing the ball on the inbound and the offense gets one free freethrow.

The game has always been "dumbed down" for entertainment value. Or do you think the many rule changes basketball and and other sports have employed over the decades of their respective histories were universally enacted solely in the interest of fair competition?

You're assuming wrong and nothing you said even contradicts my point

The difference here is that all these rule changes were made because of the unbelievably HIGH skill levels of the players in the question.

Eliminating the Hack-a-Shaq strategy would be changing rules to accommodate those with an unbelievably POOR skill level.

It's be changing the rules to make the game better to watch, like how they eliminated hand checking. For once it'd just be a change that wasn't for the benefit of perimeter players (well except Rondo).

LCGeek

formerly sane
I see a lot cowardly opinions calling this just a strategy. BS anyone whose ever played basketball doesn't want to be fouled. Fouling for the sake of fouling outside of the league would get you in serious crap in other circles of basketball if done to degree they do it in the NBA. You would be lying to suggest otherwise with what is on youtube.

Nba should make it simple since it's a team strategy to do it let the other team pick who does the free throws. The responses about weak free throw shooters are laughable while teams pick a cowardly tactic to slow up the game or not actually play some legit defense and lose on the merits. I'm with others 1 or 2 free throws chosen by the team being fouled or having a side out would make teams less brazen about doing this crap. This is one of my few beefs with NBA and glad to see the commissioner wants to do something about it.

Hack a player is boring and cowardly even if logistics of it make sense.

dabig2

My solution is that off-the-ball fouls should be team's choice on who shoots. If Noel does something like that again on Drummond, the Pistons should be allowed to put Reggie Jackson on the line.

Doesn't need to be technical or anything. Just start letting the fouled the team choose on off-the-ball fouls.

Agreed. I think that's a pretty fair rule change. You'll see a reduction in the more egregious examples listed. All bets are off if the poor FT shooter has the ball, but that's just the game.

qcf x2

Just call it a flagrant foul and be done with it. If jumping on the guy's back isn't a flagrant 2, idk what is. You gotta hit them in the checkbook.

His job is to box out his man so he or his teammates can secure the rebound. Why would anyone risk giving their man a clear chance at getting their own rebound because he "might" try to jump on them?
Drummond isn't even watching for the rebound! He obviously knows what's going to happen as he moves under Noel to catch him.

george_us

NeLsVvZ.gif
He just wanted a piggyback ride.

Not a fan of this move. Players should practice their free throws instead of being bums. It's pathetic that a pro like Drummond has such a pitiful conversion % on the FT line. I played soccer all my life and have a 50%+ FT. Durant put it best, don't want to get constantly fouled, practice your fucking free throws.

And this is coming from someone who has Drummond as one of his favorite players.

old said:
My solution is that off-the-ball fouls should be team's choice on who shoots. If Noel does something like that again on Drummond, the Pistons should be allowed to put Reggie Jackson on the line.

Doesn't need to be technical or anything. Just start letting the fouled the team choose on off-the-ball fouls.
That's somewhat fair I reckon.

Just give the team the option to take the ball side-out instead of shooting free throws when the foul occurs away from the ball. It would end hack-a-player overnight.

Yeep. This is the solution. You're basically giving the team that suffered the infraction the option of taking the penalty or not, like in the NFL.

megalowho

The hacking strategy is not without repercussion. The opponent will always have a set defense after the free throws, you're not giving your defense a chance to make a stop or force a bad shot that could lead to an easy bucket, you're racking up fouls and getting into the penalty early and disrupting the flow of your team if they had anything going.

That being said it needs to be addressed, especially the extreme cases. I don't mind it in the course of play - a hard foul when a big is going to the basket, or even when he gets a touch in the post - but wrapping guys up as soon as they inbound should not be allowed. That's not a basketball play.

andthebeatgoeson

I say two FT and possession. Likely, 3 point play and up to 5. That'll fix it. It won't take away strategy anymore than a flagrant cuts down on excessive contact; it still is an entertainment company. People want to see the great athletes creating, not shooting at the line.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
If they're not going to call it 'hack-a-Shaq' then call it 'hack-a-hack'.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I say two FT and possession. Likely, 3 point play and up to 5. That'll fix it. It won't take away strategy anymore than a flagrant cuts down on excessive contact; it still is an entertainment company. People want to see the great athletes creating, not shooting at the line.

How do you differentiate between an intentional foul and a part-of-the-game foul. So if Steph crosses you over and you reach he gets the FTs and the ball back?

How do you differentiate between an intentional foul and a part-of-the-game foul. So if Steph crosses you over and you reach he gets the FTs and the ball back?

This is not really a concern, they already enforce this rule without issue during the final 2 minutes of the game. It's for off the ball fouls.

RobNBanks

Banned

if you actually watched basketball you would know how to differentiate between an intentional foul and a regular foul.

Tom Penny

Rewarding teams for putting players on the court that have deficiencies. It's not even hard for the other team. Put another guy on the court or build a team without a liability on it. I can't wait until they ban intentional walks in baseball. It's not fair to put a worse player up to bat instead !!!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Changing a rule like this would be akin to forcing pitchers in the NL to pitch under-handed to poor batters or forcing a football team to stop blitzing against an immobile quarterback.

The onus shouldn't be on the league to protect poor FT shooters... the onus should be on the teams that employ them to sub them out or DNP-CD.
I don't watch much basketball, but surely the free-throw rule is designed to punish teams who foul so as to discourage it. If a rule isn't working then you change it. This is the equivalent of making it a red card for tackling a player who is clean through on goal in soccer.

Rewarding teams for putting players on the court that have deficiencies. It's not even hard for the other team. Put another guy on the court or build a team without a liability on it. I can't wait until they ban intentional walks in baseball. It's not fair to put a worse player up to bat instead !!!

All rules reward or penalize certain types of players or play styles. That's how it works, whether its the size of a pitcher's mound or the rules for intentionally fouling. You make changes because it makes the game a better product, some specific people will always benefit from it more than others, but that's how it goes.

Dr.Acula

Banned
if you actually watched basketball you would know how to differentiate between an intentional foul and a regular foul.

I was discussing fouling the ball-carrier.

Anyhow I looked up Drummond and they were fouling him at the start of the 3rd Q. So, that's what people are trying to address. I guess you could extend the rules for all 12 minutes for off-the-ball plays, but do we really want players and coaches whining about getting fouled intentionally or getting fouled because a defender lost their man?

Alright, now you've confused me.

Sorry, I legit forgot people were fouling Drummond at the start of the third quarter.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Another cowardly strategy. Lets walk the guy cause our pitcher can't strike him out. It's not fair he might hit my pitch and do something useful with it.

Not a fan of this move. Players should practice their free throws instead of being bums. It's pathetic that a pro like Drummond has such a pitiful conversion % on the FT line. I played soccer all my life and have a 50%+ FT. Durant put it best, don't want to get constantly fouled, practice your fucking free throws.

And this is coming from someone who has Drummond as one of his favorite players.

That's somewhat fair I reckon.

I am with you on players learning to make free throws. Its a completely mental thing especially with the really horrible free throw shooters. Karl Malone was an absolutely horrible free throw shooter in his first two years in the NBA he shot them as bad as Andre Drummond and Deandre Jordan do now but, in his third year he became a 70 percent free throw shooter because he figured out that if you make them routine they become easier.

Cyan

Banned
The shot clock was instituted because it was an effective strategy against a single player.

Was it really? What I've always heard was that there being a broader problem with teams with a lead just constantly playing keepaway a la soccer, making the game boring, and the shot clock went in to break that strategy and keep things interesting.

FyreWulff

Was it really? What I've always heard was that there being a broader problem with teams with a lead just constantly playing keepaway a la soccer, making the game boring, and the shot clock went in to break that strategy and keep things interesting.

It started as a tactic against George Mikan to avoid ever letting him have the ball (resulting in the lowest scored NBA game ever), but it soon spread to other teams because it basically turned optimal play of avoiding ever letting the other team have shots. George also caused goaltending to become a violation.

Good. I'd start watching basketball again if it stopped being timeoutball/hackaball.

NeLsVvZ.gif

What does this play have to do with hack-a-player? Why would you hack-a-player when neither team has possession? This was obviously some joke or whatever between the two players.

What does this play have to do with hack-a-player? Why would you hack-a-player when neither team has possession? This was obviously some joke or whatever between the two players.

free throws are kind of a loophole here, which is why plenty of people foul after free throw attempts

I never had a problem with it.

Conceptually I never did either. It's a very basic skill in the game. A team exploiting another players lack of talent in a very basic skill should be par for the course.

As a spectator though. It's awful to watch. So so so awful.

zFJEyZu.jpg

1.1 points per possession is where the top tier offenses are scoring. That means if you convert ft's at roughly 55% rate, hack a ______ isn't worth it since you're scoring at a rate equivalent to a top 5 offense. So really, you're changing the rules because 2-4 players in the league can't hit free throws at an already pretty low rate.

That said. I'm torn on the subject myself. I think players should be absolutely punished for not being able to convert free throws (the most hilarious part is that they refuse to adopt shooting Rick Barry style because it looks sissy).

On the other hand, there should be a harder limit on how much you can employ hack a _____ for the sake of making the game more spectator friendly (although I think the shame ball that comes with Hack a _____ is pretty entertaining).

No, they were putting Drummond on the line so they would immediately get the ball back. That is exactly what "hack-a-player" is for.

ANYWAY, I'm so glad they will finally do something about this. Fouling = penalties. Penalties should never benefit (as a strategy) the team causing the penalty. It's not protecting bad free throw shooters as much as it is simply attempting to make basketball actually about basketball again.

I mean heck, Pop pretty much popularized the "strategy" but he'll be the first to tell you how much he hates it at the same time. It's a loophole in the rules that was never meant to exist.

The solution just came to me following a bong rip. Once the same player has been fouled 5 times, any1 who is on the court can shoot his free throws if he gets fouled anymore.

It's perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom