• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA commissioner changes stance, says changes are needed in regards to hack-a-player

Status
Not open for further replies.

bachikarn

Allow the team to decline shooting free throw and instead in bound the ball. I think that would cut it down a lot but still allow some drama if the team can't deal with pressure.

free throws are kind of a loophole here, which is why plenty of people foul after free throw attempts

I watch a lot of basketball, and I didnt watch this game so I dont know who is shooting the FT, but why would Noel foul someone during a FT? Best case scenario the FT shooter misses and Drummond gets 2 more FT he misses both and then Philly gets the ball back by battling for the rebound. Instead of just battling for the rebound like a C does 100% of the time. In this scenario, if the guy scored the FT it would still be a foul on Noel and They would get another FT or the ball back or something I dont even now because the above play is so stupid.

My point is this is a poor example of a hack-a-player and really just a bad basketball play from philly (but they are a bad team so this understandable) This doesnt happen in the NBA outside of this one play. No one fouls before the shot is even determined a hit or miss.

Allow the team to decline shooting free throw and instead in bound the ball. I think that would cut it down a lot but still allow some drama if the team can't deal with pressure.
Nah they'd just do it over and over until it's a TO. It'd almost incentivize it.

I'm telling you guys my solution is perfect.

The solution just came to me following a bong rip. Once the same player has been fouled 5 times, any1 who is on the court can shoot his free throws if he gets fouled anymore.

It's perfect.

No, that'd benefit players in non-intentional foul situations. Like some wing player with mediocre FT shooting that is good at drawing fouls could have some role player shoot his FTs. And if you're limiting to 5 intentional fouls, that's still way too much garbage to watch.

I watch a lot of basketball, and I didnt watch this game so I dont know who is shooting the FT, but why would Noel foul someone during a FT? Best case scenario the FT shooter misses and Drummond gets 2 more FT he misses both and then Philly gets the ball back by battling for the rebound. Instead of just battling for the rebound like a C does 100% of the time. In this scenario, if the guy scored the FT it would still be a foul on Noel and They would get another FT or the ball back or something I dont even now because the above play is so stupid.

My point is this is a poor example of a hack-a-player and really just a bad basketball play from philly (but they are a bad team so this understandable) This doesnt happen in the NBA outside of this one play. No one fouls before the shot is even determined a hit or miss.

Philly was shooting the free throws. You don't need to watch the game to know that. ;) Opposing players are always under and closest to the rim on free throws. Defensive teams get the rebound 95% (probably even higher with Drummond under there) of the time on free throws, and Drummond already had position to get the rebound, hence Noel immediately fouled. Players like Drummond, Noel, etc have been having their backs jumped on at the free throw line in precisely this manner quite a few times this season. It's not a joke between players.

Nah they'd just do it over and over until it's a TO. It'd almost incentivize it.

I'm telling you guys my solution is perfect.

Honestly I think that was the best solution. For fouls off the ball and in the bonus, the team getting fouled should be allowed to have the shot clock reset to 14 (if below 14) and inbound the ball instead of shooting. It would curb hack a player type fouls instantly, I think.

Philly was shooting the free throws. You don't need to watch the game to know that. ;) Opposing players are always under the rim. Defensive teams get the rebound 95% of the time on free throws, and Drummond already had position to get the rebound, hence Noel immediately fouled. Players like Drummond, Noel, etc have been having their backs jumped on at the free throw line in precisely this manner quite a few times this season. It's not a joke between players.

Ohhhhh haha this is funny but still a poor basketball move, wouldnt you rather player defense and deny giving up any points instead of giving up most of the time at least 1 point? Either way, sucks they are changing the rules for drummond.

Would be nice if these big men would stop being lazy and learn how to shoot a stupid free throw but oh well. It was really annoying to watch unfold, even if it was kinda funny watching how badly the big man would screw up the shot.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm torn, imo all players should be able to shoot free throws. Hell at that level they should be able to shoot from anywhere inside the 3. On the other hand coaches are using this shit to turn BBall rules into a joke like soccer diving, not cool.

Ohhhhh haha this is funny but still a poor basketball move, wouldnt you rather player defense and deny giving up any points instead of giving up most of the time at least 1 point? Either way, sucks they are changing the rules for drummond.

Think about it like this. If you give up 1 point in one possession, you are effectively giving up 100 points per 100 possessions. Teams that score 100 points per 100 possessions are usually ranked in the bottom 5 of offenses. Statistically most teams would take that kind of advantage every day all day because typically Detroit scores 102.5 points per 100 possessions. You are effectively turning them into a bottom 3 offense for one possession by putting players like Drummond at the line. For someone who shoots 35% at the FT line, there's a decent shot they will miss both. Hopefully that makes sense.

Think about it like this. If you give up 1 point in one possession, you are effectively giving up 100 points per 100 possessions. Teams that score 100 points per 100 possessions are usually ranked in the bottom 5 of offenses. Statistically most teams would take that kind of advantage every day all day because typically Detroit scores 102.5 points per 100 possessions. You are effectively turning them into a bottom 3 offense for one possession by putting players like Drummond at the line. Hopefully that makes sense.

haha I know, but that plan won't work because A: The players would all foul out before we got there and the game would be over by default and B: This is assuming Drummond scores only 1 of 2 FT or less every time and Det never gets 1 offensive rebound on all the misses. In theory hack-a-shaq works but not in practice, at least not when done a lot as we have seen this season. I personally am all for hack-a-shaq. Especially in a close 4th quarter it can be like a game of chess. Do you choose to play your good rebounders who cant hit FT or switch em out, ect.

haha I know, but that plan won't work because A: The players would all foul out before we got there and the game would be over by default and B: This is assuming Drummond scores only 1 of 2 FT or less every time and Det never gets 1 offensive rebound on all the misses. In theory hack-a-shaq works but not in practice, at least not when done a lot as we have seen this season. I personally am all for hack-a-shaq. Especially in a close 4th quarter it can be like a game of chess. Do you choose to play your good rebounders who cant hit FT or switch em out, ect.

Yeah, I'm not actually talking about doing it for the whole game. I'm mainly explaining why it is beneficial to give up 1 point in a possession rather than playing straight D. That's why teams do it in the 4th quarter when trying to catch up. There are only 5 teams in the league that give up less than 100 points per 100 possessions. Those are the only teams who can reasonably say it makes no sense to do "hack a player," and it's because they are so good on defense. Funny enough, 4 of those 5 teams use the "hack a player" strategy pretty commonly still when they probably don't have to for most teams.

Anyway, I personally hate the hack a shaq strategy. I think it turns basketball into something it's not.

daemissary

I hate that it makes basketball less watchable but changing the rules because 3 players in the NBA suck at free throws is ridiculous.

Learn to make free throws or continue to cost your team wins.

boxter432

To me, "assumed" fouls/superstar are the real problem. James harden driving and missin a layup? Foul, despite him not getting touched. Refs have their whistle in their mouth and blow it without actually seeing a foul. The Miami/Dallas nba finals in 06 were the epitome of this, Wade probably had 8+ points a game he didn't earn as he got free throws with literally nobody touching him.

Bc a couple centers can't make a a damn shot most people can make 60%+ of is not a good basis for a rule change.

Cipherr

Im glad he isnt so full of himself that he is willing to admit he was wrong. I also understand players needing to shoot better. But at the end of the day, its also entertainment. And watching that shit is fucking boring.

NeLsVvZ.gif
[/url]

as some one who doesn't follow basketball, i need context for this gif

mr2xxx

Banned
Fouling shouldn't be a legit strategy in any sport. It just ruins the momentum of a game. They should make it after so many fouls any player from the team gets to shoot, shoot 1 then get back possession after X amount of fouls, or just have the team have a choice to shoot or get back the possession with a new clock. That should discourage teams from abusing the rules.

Dommo

as some one who doesn't follow basketball, i need context for this gif

A few relevant rules first:
- Eventually, if a player is fouled anywhere on the court, he gets to take two free throws.
- If they go in, the opposing team gets posession. If they don't, the opposing team is positioned on court such that they'll almost definitely get the rebound, and thus, get possession anyway.

Therefore, it makes strategic sense that, if you want posession of the ball, just deliberately foul a player who sucks at free throws, he'll miss at least one, maybe both shots, you then get possession and the likely chance of scoring at least two points up the other end, therefore giving your team a net increase in score.

The gif is just that fouling in action. The guy who's getting jumped on, Drummond, is the shitty shooter, and Noel is just deliberately fouling him in the most obvious way to the refs so the least amount of time's wasted.

Miracle

No. I do not support this at all.

Even as a Lakers fan that went through the hack-a-Shaq era, one year with hack-a-Howard, etc, the hack-a-player is a legit strategy. What kind of sport actually changes the rules of the game of very few players who lack the skill of making a wide open free throw?

You want the hacking to stop? The simple idea is make the damn free throw, then they will stop fouling. The game shouldn't be changed just because Andre Drummond can't make more than 35% (which is awful to epic proportions that makes even Shaq look like Steve Nash) at the line. You're an NBA player, a professional, free throws are apart of the game and need to be treated as such.

A rule change to a sport to compensate the very few players's lack of skill is very stupid IMO.

Thank god. As a basketball fan, nothing takes the excitement out of a game like watching someone shoot free throws for 5 straight possessions. I haven't thought about this enough to know what would be the best solution, but anything that doesn't slow the game down to a crawl is ok with me.

Miracle

Drummond is worse at free throws than Shaq? Wow.

Yep. DeAndre Jordan as well is also worse than Shaq. This year Jordan is 42% at the line while being a career 42% FT shooter. His best year was when he shot 52% which was like 4 or 5 years ago.

numble

There is no scenario in which all players foul out. If you have only 5 players left, they can foul 100 times and won't foul out.

Miracle

There is no scenario in which all players foul out. If you have only 5 players left, they can foul 100 times and won't foul out.
This is correct.

In fact, it happened two years ago with a player named Robert Sacre. In the 4th quarter, he committed his 6th foul of the game but the Lakers only had the 5 players available on the court for them. So Sacre stayed and finished the game.

Video proof:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=q9a9aq2nXYo

And LOL at the Cavs commentators.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
The solution just came to me following a bong rip. Once the same player has been fouled 5 times, any1 who is on the court can shoot his free throws if he gets fouled anymore.

It's perfect.

I was going to say after X number of team fouls a quarter, a designated player gets to shoot the free throws. But would work.

Is this referring to the intentional fouling at the end of games which ultimately stretches out the last 20 seconds into an additional five minutes?

Or is this some relatively new phenomenon that is occurring regularly throughout the duration of the game?
No, that's when a team is down and they have to foul or the other team runs the clock out. There's currently rules in place that make you only able to send a player who has possession of the ball to the free throw line in the final two minutes, I'm pretty sure this was made in response to hack a shaq. The current problem is that outside of those final two minutes people are hacking bad free throw players away from the ball (sometimes before they can even inbound the ball) to give their team momentum

Hard

Banned
The fuck?

We're changing a years-long rule because three players can't make their damn FTs?

The fuck?

Teams aren't allowed to punish player's weaknesses anymore?

The fuck?

People are salty because they lost one game instead of telling their favorite player to practice?

The fuck?

It's degrading the spectator experience?

The fuck?

Fuck spectators, just tell Dwight and DeAndre to git gud and move on with it.

vern

The problem for me is this, fouling is illegal. You get penalized for fouling. A foul is something that gets called when you break a rule of the game. The point of the game ideally would be to not foul and to play every possession clean.

So by employing a strategy of fouling you are intentionally breaking the rules. I don't watch every sport but it's the only sport I know that breaking the rules has been encouraged and can be an effective strategy for victory or coming back at the ends of the game. All purposefully commited fouls in my opinion, should be penalized more harshly. You should never be able to come back or gain an advantage in any sport by breaking the rules.

You can't purposefully bean players in baseball and get rewarded for it. You can't skip second base and still get a run. In football, pass interference doesn't reward the defense with the ball. Commiting a false start doesn't give you a point. Obviously it's not exactly one to one comparisons because the sports are different but I always found it dumb that doing something against the rules in basketball can help your team win. It's a flaw in the game.

Hard

Banned
The problem for me is this, fouling is illegal. You get penalized for fouling. A foul is something that gets called when you break a rule of the game. The point of the game ideally would be to not foul and to play every possession clean.

So by employing a strategy of fouling you are intentionally breaking the rules. I don't watch every sport but it's the only sport I know that breaking the rules has been encouraged and can be an effective strategy for victory or coming back at the ends of the game. All purposefully commited fouls in my opinion, should be penalized more harshly. You should never be able to come back or gain an advantage in any sport by breaking the rules.

You can't purposefully bean players in baseball and get rewarded for it. You can't skip second base and still get a run. In football, pass interference doesn't reward the defense with the ball. Commiting a false start doesn't give you a point. Obviously it's not exactly one to one comparisons because the sports are different but I always found it dumb that doing something against the rules in basketball can help your team win. It's a flaw in the game.

The fouling team is getting penalized, though. The fouled player is getting two of the easiest shots in basketball to make. Whether he can make them or not is on him.

vern

The fouling team is getting penalized, though. The fouled player is getting two of the easiest shots in basketball to make. Whether he can make them or not is on him.

Ok, but you are still intentionally breaking the rules and gaining an advantage for it. Same at the end of the game, the clock stops, giving the trailing team an advantage and more time to catch up. You shouldn't get rewarded for not following the rules of the game. I love basketball and I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to employ this strategy necessarily, but I think it's a pretty obvious flaw.

j_rocca42

I say leave the heck a shaq rule but bring back hand checking. I miss the old days when you could actually guard someone on the perimeter.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Get rid of it. It's brutal to watch and hurts the overall quality of the product.

Doesn't need a fancy solution either, just give the team thats fouled the option to decline to shoot free throws and take the ball out of bounds as if its a non bonus situation (you dont get this option under 2 minutes, traditional intentional foul rules would apply there).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom