• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Boogs31

Iguodala taking meetings Saturday. Lacob gonna lowball him towards another team =[

Not sure why Iggy would leave. His last contract paid him big money. He's 33 and he's a bench player on a great team. If he's really expecting 20 mil a year from a team that he's the 5th best player on he's crazy.

It's a simple decision, if he wants another big pay day, then he should go elsewhere. If he wants to keep winning and be a contributor on a dynasty, he's gonna have to take a pay cut.

Fjordson

I love Iggy but they ain't paying him 20 mil. He can either take 12 and win a few more rings or he can take off and get paid. I don't blame him either way.
Yeah I guess if it gets that high it'd be tough to match.

Won't be surprised if some other team gives him a massive offer not just to get him but to squeeze Golden State a bit.

Not sure why Iggy would leave. His last contract paid him big money. He's 33 and he's a bench player on a great team. If he's really expecting 20 mil a year from a team that he's the 5th best player on he's crazy.

It's a simple decision, if he wants another big pay day, then he should go elsewhere. If he wants to keep winning and be a contributor on a dynasty, he's gonna have to take a pay cut.

It's probably his last chance at a big pay day so it's not that surprising that he'd take the money and run. Can't really blame him.

spyder_ur

Iguodala taking meetings Saturday. Lacob gonna lowball him towards another team =[

I love Iggy but they ain't paying him 20 mil. He can either take 12 and win a few more rings or he can take off and get paid. I don't blame him either way.

This is probably Iggy's last chance at a real payday, so he should probably take it.

Warriors could lose Iggy, Zaza, West, Livingston, and Clark (all may be due for large pay raises on the open market) and I'm still not sure it makes a bit of difference.

Cornbread78

Ainge about to lose PG the same way as Butler.
Nobody wants to deal with him unless he puts the Brooklyn/Lakers pick on the table and he ain't doing that.
Fine with me. I'll hard pass on rentals for multiple lottery picks.
100% agreed.

I'm probably the most impatient person with Ainge around here and even I wouldn't give up two potential lottery picks for a 1 year rental.

Sure, it would be great to have him, but not at that cost. The pressure is on the Pacers to get something for him, not any other team.

Boogs31

It's probably his last chance at a big pay day so it's not that surprising that he'd take the money and run.

But it's not as if he hasn't had big contracts before. He's made nearly 120 million in his career already. I totally understand guys at his age that haven't had a big contract before taking advantage of their last chance at a pay day. But that's not the case here.

If he values being on a championship team, being on a team that knows how to maximize his skill set, and being in a role that will add longevity to his career, he should be willing to take less money.

But it's not as if he hasn't had big contracts before. He's made nearly 120 million in his career already. I totally understand guys at his age that haven't had a big contract before taking advantage of their last chance at a pay day. But that's not the case here.

If he values being on a championship team, being on a team that knows how to maximize his skill set, and being in a role that will add longevity to his career, he should be willing to take less money.

When you are in your mid30s and are having to face the idea that your real lifetime earning power and potential is ending, how much money is enough money?

neptunes

He can get a career ending injury in December and he'd be stuck @ 12,

Always get the money, especially at that age, you have nothing else to prove.

This is probably Iggy's last chance at a real payday, so he should probably take it.

Warriors could lose Iggy, Zaza, West, Livingston, and Clark (all may be due for large pay raises on the open market) and I'm still not sure it makes a bit of difference.

Losing Iggy would obviously suck for them. Livingston, too. The rest they can probably replace easy enough.

Nafai1123

Banned
If Iggy and West leave GS is gonna need to sign some guys with strong facial expression game. Those two are some of the greats.

andre-iguodala-face.jpg

CONTENT-4578_2.gif

david-west-e1495538590355-800x416.jpg

Boogs31

When you are in your mid30s and are having to face the idea that your real lifetime earning power and potential is ending, how much money is enough money?

It's not as if the Warriors will be offering him the minimum. They should be willing to offer a 3 year, 36 million dollar deal. Maybe he loses 20 to 24 million. That's a lot but again even if he signs the lesser deal he'll still make over 150 mil in his career.

But you're right, some guys will value the money more than anything else. But I see a player that is happy where he is and a guy who chose to play in Golden State prior to his last contract. If anything the Warriors are even more attractive as a destination now than they were when he signed there 4 years ago.

neptunes

It's not as if the Warriors will be offering him the minimum. They should be willing to offer a 3 year, 36 million dollar deal. Maybe he loses 20 to 24 million. That's a lot but again even if he signs the lesser deal he'll still make over 150 mil in his career.

But you're right, some guys will value the money more than anything else. But I see a player that is happy where he is and a guy who choose to play in Golden State prior to his last contract. If anything the Warriors are even more attractive as a destination now than they were when he signed there 4 years ago.
Jesus

But you're right, some guys will value the money more than anything else. But I see a player that is happy where he is and a guy who choose to play in Golden State prior to his last contract. If anything the Warriors are even more attractive as a destination now than they were when he signed there 4 years ago.

Fanaticism in a single post.

Brahs let's miss out on 24 million USD$$ cause that ain't shit apparently.

Boogs31

His career earnings after this upcoming contact will be 150 million or 172. I get that to a normal person 22 million is crazy to pass up. But when you factor in what he's already earned, it's not that insane. If he's genuinely happy where he is, why leave that for some extra cash that he definitely doesn't need?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
His career earnings after this upcoming contact will be 150 million or 172. I get that to a normal person 22 million is crazy to pass up. But when you factor in what he's already earned, it's not that insane. If he's genuinely happy where he is, why leave that for some extra cash that he definitely doesn't need?

Things change. After 2 rings, he might feel satisfied with what he's done and wants to do something else and get more compensation as part of that.

Government has about half of that. Agent has another 5 or 10 percent. And, quite frankly, the track record for athletes managing their money well is not particularly good. And then dude needs to go another 50 or 60 years with little to no earning potential, certainly not to the degree he has now.

Get paid.

I mean, I won't fault him for taking less, but I clearly think no one should expect it.

Boogs31

Things change. After 2 rings, he might feel satisfied with what he's done and wants to do something else and get more compensation as part of that.

I understand that's a possibility. We won't know what's more important to him until he makes the decision I guess.

I just got the impression that he appreciated the role he's in now. It's also fun to play on an unselfish team that wins. He doesn't have to score because the Warriors have plenty of those. He can do what he does best, play defense and be a playmaker. As the go to guy in Philly he could never live up to the expectations because he's not a scorer.

Boogs31

Government has about half of that. Agent has another 5 or 10 percent. And, quite frankly, the track record for athletes managing their money well is not particularly good. And then dude needs to go another 50 or 60 years with little to no earning potential, certainly not to the degree he has now.

Get paid.

I mean, I won't fault him for taking less, but I clearly think no one should expect it.

I won't fault anyone for making whatever decision they feel is best for them and their family. But I feel like leaving a potential dynasty is just as hard of a decision as leaving money on the table.

Bread

Banned
Plus, he could sell his championship rings for another $300 million if he wanted to. If he takes the money over the glory it proves he has no heart, I'd take a guy like Austin Rivers over that.

Plus, he could sell his championship rings for another $300 million if he wanted to. If he takes the money over the glory it proves he has no heart, I'd take a guy like Austin Rivers over that.

You make an interest point.

And to be clear to the folks at home, rings chase Austin Rivers. Not the other way around.

beat

Fanaticism in a single post.

Brahs let's miss out on 24 million USD$$ cause that ain't shit apparently.

David West has already foregone that much by taking two vet minimum contracts with the Spurs and GS in consecutive years...

Iguodala has made a lot of money in his career. But Livingston's early career was derailed by injury, so without as much accumulated career earnings, I think he might actually be more likely than Iguodala to go elsewhere.

Hydrus

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm probably the most impatient person with Ainge around here and even I wouldn't give up two potential lottery picks for a 1 year rental.

Sure, it would be great to have him, but not at that cost. The pressure is on the Pacers to get something for him, not any other team.

The latest report says ainge is gunshy that it's possible they can't resign him. The idea of gambling a top 5 (potential/most likely), for a 1 year rental that gets you nowhere is absurd. He once again just reiterated it's LA or bust.

Fine with me. I'll hard pass on rentals for multiple lottery picks.

100% agreed.

Hey that's fair. I wouldn't do that either but at the same time I don't know what Danny really can do here.

Everyone is making moves but he standing still because everyone asks him more than he wants or should give.

As much as the Bulls FO sucks I doubt they got a substantiallly better deal for Butler from the Celtics than the one they got from Minnesota

Boogs31

Also the hall of fame is not out of the question right? If he wins another 2 or 3 rings as a key contributor off the bench, doesn't he have a compelling argument in the same vein as Manu Ginobili? If he leaves he has no chance at that.

Pro athlete perspectives are naturally going to be different because they can make so much goddamb money, but also because most of them are over the hill in their 30s, at an age where in any other walk of life most people are just hitting their earning prime (and will remain there for another 20-30 years). Put it this way, if you knew that the next 3 years were going to be the last 3 years that you'd be able to earn money that will have to last you and your family for the rest of your lives, would you willingly take a 20-25% pay cut?

Also the hall of fame is not out of the question right? If he wins another 2 or 3 rings as a key contributor off the bench, doesn't he have a compelling argument in the same vein as Manu Ginobili? If he leaves he has no chance at that.

Does being in the Hall of Fame pay the bills?

Boogs31

Pro athlete perspectives are naturally going to be different because they can make so much goddamb money, but also because most of them are over the hill in their 30s, at an age where in any other walk of life most people are just hitting their earning prime (and will remain there for another 20-30 years). Put it this way, if you knew that the next 3 years were going to be the last 3 years that you'd be able to earn money that will have to last you and your family for the rest of your lives, would you willingly take a 20-25% pay cut?

Again if you're asking me, if I was genuinely happier with the lower paying job, yes I would. Because even if I was an idiot and blew through my previous 118 million dollars I'd earned, 36 million is easily enough to survive 5 lifetimes.

Again if you're asking me, if I was genuinely happier with the lower paying job, yes I would. Because even if I was an idiot and blew through my previous 118 million dollars I'd earned, 36 million is easily enough to survive 5 lifetimes.

Easy to survive when you are coming from your perspective. This is the typical fan "hell I'd be happy when $1 million!" mindset. A guy like Iggy and his family might be used to a certain lifestyle from when he was an active player and he wants to maintain that lifestyle. Or maybe he wants money to be able to put to use in a post playing career, things like investing or venture capitalism. To act like an extra $20-30 million is some number to scoff at is easy for us, because these are cartoon numbers, they aren't real to us. But to a guy who, like you said, has earned $100+ million in his lifetime? It's a lot more real.

Nafai1123

Banned
It's not as simple as saying he's going to lost 20-30 million. I mean, the guy's starting a late-night talk show about business and technology. He smart and has a lot of personality. Does ending his career with the Warriors mean his continued presence in the spotlight gets him better offers and opportunities after his career? Does fading into irrelevance on some garbage team hurt those chances? I'm sure he's going to make the best decision for himself, whatever that decision is.

jbug617

Banned
Stein says the Hayward meeting order is Miami, Boston and then Utah. He also reported that since the NBA Finals, Boston is going hard after Hayward.

Boogs31

Why do you assume being in the Hall of Fame and playing for the Warriors are his only paths to happiness.

The job you have takes up a good chunk of your time. If you're not happy at your job, it's hard to envision you being super happy in general. There's a reason players pop champagne bottles and party like there's no tomorrow after winning championships, it's because winning is fun. It's more enjoyable than losing. Making the Hall of Fame is validation and an honor for the work you did. You don't think that's something that would make someone happy and something they would cherish forever?

I get those things are more important to some people than they are to others, but what indication has Andre Iguadala given that he doesn't value those things? He chose to play on the Warriors in large part because he thought they would be good. Why would he make that decision if he didn't value things like winning?

Cheebo

Banned
Saying it is happiness vs money in itself is weird.

How do we know he would be happier on the Warriors? There is no evidence of that at all. Applying your own emotions and connections to a team onto a player will only lead to disappointment.

The job you have takes up a good chunk of your time. If you're not happy at your job, it's hard to envision you being super happy in general. There's a reason players pop champagne bottles and party like there's no tomorrow after winning championships, it's because winning is fun. It's more enjoyable than losing. Making the Hall of Fame is validation and an honor for the work you did. You don't think that's something that would make someone happy and something they would cherish forever?

I get those things are more important to some people than they are to others, but what indication has Andre Iguadala given that he doesn't value those things? He chose to play on the Warriors in large part because he thought they would be good. Why would he make that decision if he didn't value things like winning?

What makes you think he can't find some sort of happiness in, say, playing for a team like Brooklyn or Sacramento, playing for a young team that needs leadership? We have no real idea how these guys are wired.

Servbot24

Banned
Saying it is happiness vs money in itself is weird.

How do we know he would be happier on the Warriors? There is no evidence of that at all.

Moving your family across the country is hard. I don't know Iggy's situation but if he has kids in school or something that could be a big factor.

Top Bottom