• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

mjp2417

Banned
PG for Love makes no sense to me.

PG is obviously better than Love, but given that everyone in the world knows that he is walking after this year and Indiana needs to move him, the Pacers probably won't get fair market value for him. Add to that the PG wants to be in LA cacophony and no non-contending team with assets is going to risk a one year rental. The only two plausible trade partners are the Cavs and the Celtics, unless the Lakers get desperate.

Brinbe

First of all, answer why the fuck Indiana would make a win-now move to help a division rival??? If they're trading PG, it's for prospects and picks and bottoming out, not treadmilling with Kevin fucking Love. What does Love do for them? Are they suddenly beating the Cavs or making the playoffs with a Teague/Ellis/Miles/Love/Turner starting unit? I don't fucking think so.

It's asinine. The only people pushing this are idiots with no sense of reality.

mjp2417

Banned
First of all, answer why the fuck Indiana would make a win-now move to help a division rival??? If they're trading PG, it's for prospects and picks, not Kevin fucking Love. What does Love do for them?
Who is giving Indiana prospects and picks for a one year rental of a fringe All-NBA player? There's also a thing called three team trades if Indiana wants to go full rebuild (although their brass has actually signaled the exact opposite) and another team (like Denver) has young asset redundancies and wants to make a leap next year. There are really only three realistic trade partners for PG at the moment, Cleveland is one of them, and the Pacers need to trade him asap. It's not likely in the way the Wiggins for Love swap was, but it's also not crazy.

hey guys, do my Cav have any realistic (and interesting) moves that they can make this offseason? or nah?

They could move to Seattle.

Who is giving Indiana prospects and picks for a one year rental of a fringe All-NBA player? There's also a thing called three team trades if Indiana wants to go full rebuild and another team (like Denver) has young asset redundancies and wants to make a leap next year. There are really only three realistic trade partners for PG at the moment, Cleveland is one of them, and the Pacers need to trade him asap.

I think plenty of teams would give up picks and prospects for him with the hope that maybe he'll stay. The C's would probably give up anything that isn't a Nets pick or Jaylen.

First of all, answer why the fuck Indiana would make a win-now move to help a division rival??? If they're trading PG, it's for prospects and picks and bottoming out, not treadmilling with Kevin fucking Love. What does Love do for them? Are they suddenly beating the Cavs or making the playoffs with a Teague/Ellis/Miles/Love/Turner starting unit? I don't fucking think so.

From what I gather the most likely scenario is that they will be trying everything possible to keep PG after next year.

The owner wants to sell the team and its worth lots more with PG that with Love or with picks. It will most likely end in disaster and that's probably why Bird stepped aside.

Most average NBA fans don't realize tread-milling is more profitable for a team owner than bottoming out especially when you are in a small market.
Good luck selling tickets and merchandise if you are the Pacers and you are tanking.

mjp2417

Banned
They could move to Seattle.

I think plenty of teams would give up picks and prospects for him with the hope that maybe he'll stay. The C's would probably give up anything that isn't a Nets pick or Jaylen.

The only team with the requisite picks and prospects that could also contend next year is Boston. If Danny wants to make the move he can obviously get PG. But if Danny doesn't for a variety of reasons (PG on the Celtics almost certainly doesn't get them past the Cavs and it certainly doesn't get them past the Warriors), PG has strongly signaled that he either wants to be on a contender or he wants to be in LA. Cleveland is really the only other non-LA option. The Lakers could obviously put together a package, but do they want to empty the cupboard? Beyond those three I don't see any other options and the Pacers would be crazy not to try to deal him.

The only team with the requisite picks and prospects that could also contend next year is Boston. If Danny wants to make the move he can obviously get PG. But if Danny doesn't for a variety of reasons (PG on the Celtics almost certainly doesn't get them past the Cavs and it certainly doesn't get them past the Warriors), PG has strongly signaled that he either wants to be on a contender or he wants to be in LA. Cleveland is really the only other non-LA option. The Lakers could obviously put together a package, but do they want to empty the cupboard? Beyond those three I don't see any other options and the Pacers would be crazy not to try to deal him.

I think there are a lot of playoff and near playoff teams that would at least be willing to throw a lot of picks at Indiana for PG even if it means risking him leaving for LA next summer. I don't think the Pacers are limited to the C's, Lakers and Cavs.

What if Portland dumped a boatload of picks on them? Miami could also probably make a strong offer and I have no doubt Pat would assume he could get PG to stay.

TTG

Plenty of GMs would trade for Kevin Love in an effort to save their jobs. If Indiana would rather have prospects they can get a third team involved.

They could also shop Love for Melo, I don't know if that's worthwhile or not. It's not like I've actually seen Melo play in the last couple of years. Is Cousins off the table?

They need to dump a bunch of players besides, if the bar is so high that you're bailing on Love there's no argument for Shump, Frye, Korver etc.

mjp2417

Banned
I think there are a lot of playoff and near playoff teams that would at least be willing to throw a lot of picks at Indiana for PG even if it means risking him leaving for LA next summer. I don't think the Pacers are limited to the C's, Lakers and Cavs.

What if Portland dumped a boatload of picks on them? Miami could also probably make a strong offer and I have no doubt Pat would assume he could get PG to stay.

Yeah, Miami is probably the only other viable option if Riley wanted to roll the dice. Portland doesn't really make sense because they would need to artificially sweeten the pot to get Indiana to take on a couple of bad contracts in order to match salary and even then you would still be a treadmill team in fucking Portland, Oregon with PG's free agency looming. Do you really go full Billy King for potentially 1 year of Paul George?

Yeah, Miami is probably the only other viable option if Riley wanted to roll the dice. Portland doesn't really make sense because they would need to artificially sweeten the pot to get Indiana to take on a couple of bad contracts in order to match salary and even then you would still be a treadmill team in fucking Portland, Oregon with PG's free agency looming. Do you really go full Billy King for potentially 1 year of Paul George?

You could do Crabbe and a million picks.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Wait a minute.. I could have sworn I read that Lebron signed a 2 year deal before last season. Is he a free agent? Now I'm confused.

*Ok I was right. People are really sitting around writing stories on what Lebron will do after next season? Wow, what's the point?

Wait a minute.. I could have sworn I read that Lebron signed a 2 year deal before last season. Is he a free agent? Now I'm confused.

*Ok I was right. People are really sitting around writing stories on what Lebron will do after next season? Wow, what's the point?

Lebron headlines keep media members in jobs.

Cousins/Melo/Bron/some guy/Irving, isnt this perfectly possible?

What's Cousins worth? Not a lot if we take last year as an example. Cavs have Love, Tristan, Shumpert and picks to assemble that team. Pelicans aint' going nowhere with that two big atrocity, and Knicks want to ditch Melo as soon as possible.

Melo off the ball, or just waiting for the ball can probably be decent and Cousins can definitely be a pain in the ass for the Warriors in the paint.

beat

From a Warriors blog, so you can take it with as many grains of salt as you want: fantasy matchups between these Warriors and other historically great teams.
(A side note: We’re playing by modern rules. Defenses are better now. Don’t listen to the old-timers bemoaning how “soft” the game is. Hand-checking? You mean like this? Physical play? You mean like this? The game is as tough as it ever was, and faster, too).

and:

Conclusion:

If a team can match the Warriors’ depth, it can’t match their skill. If it can match their skill, it can’t match their athleticism. If it can match their athleticism, it can’t match their shooting. Nobody’s ever seen a team like this.

Also, now that we rightly revere the 72-10 1996 Bulls as one of the greatest teams of all time, it's funny to go back and read contemporaneous assessments that said they were benefiting from expansion and weren't as great as teams of a decade or two before. Seems like some people never like to give the present its due.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Anyone that states "The game is as tough as it ever was" must be batshit. Go watch that 30 for 30 for reference.

The 80's were straight gladiatorial, man...

mjp2417

Banned
From a Warriors blog, so you can take it with as many grains of salt as you want: fantasy matchups between these Warriors and other historically great teams.

and:

Also, now that we rightly revere the 72-10 1996 Bulls as one of the greatest teams of all time, it's funny to go back and read contemporaneous assessments that said they were benefiting from expansion and weren't as great as teams of a decade or two before. Seems like some people never like to give the present its due.

As a child of the 90's who grew up with this narrative, those Bulls teams were definitely underrated during their era (particularly during the first 3-peat) because there was such a halo around the 80's Lakers and Celtics. We didn't have the benefit of Youtube at that point where we could actually watch full games and test myth against reality.

Anyone that states "The game is as tough as it ever was" must be batshit. Go watch that 30 for 30 for reference.

The highlights of particular moments between some of the best teams, sure. Lucky for them not every game was broadcast and all the dumpster fire games are forever lost to time and only the great ones documented.

mjp2417

Banned

Watching 30 for 30 (which is otherwise super interesting) is like the single worst way to dispassionately evaluate this kind of stuff. These things are entirely about constructing a narrative.

Cornbread78

Depends if Lebron goes against everything he believes in and forms a super team. Also Fultz lost to Mcgrady in one on one. I'm moving on to Lauri.

2018 with LeBron and PG13 in LA will be the next super team. It's just a matter if it's with CP3 and the Clips, or with Russell, Ball and Williams with the Lakers.

It's already in the works right now.....

effzee

Well, it doesn't help the Pacers win now but it does give them something in return. Outside of Boston trading their top pick this year, I don't see the Pacers getting much of anything in return for PG.

LeBron needs to come to the Sixers already. Still, wreck the East, play with top 10 talent at every position, and the best coach he has had the privilege to play for so far.

I just want to slander OKC's front office's right quick for have KD, Westbrook, and Harden on the same team and not getting a single championship.

I just want to slander OKC's front office's right quick for have KD, Westbrook, and Harden on the same team and not getting a single championship.
I saw a top 40 players since the merger list from the Washington Post and all three were in the list. It just made me remember how bad the Thunder messed up.

They really really should have kept Harden at least until the end of his rookie deal. At worst, you go over the cap using the bird rights and trade him if it doesnt work out. IIRC they could have kept both Ibaka and Harden if they had amnestied Perkins.

Btw, quick reminder, the OKC front office, while WB and KD were healthy and in their prime, thought the best way to get the team over the hump was to get Derek Fisher, Caron Butler and Randy Foye.

effzee

Not defending them because they did try to outsmart the league, but Harden also wasn't the player he developed into. And he might not have developed into a top player had he stayed there.

But yeah OKC screwed themselves royally.

I wonder if Blake Griffin goes there now?

Cornbread78

I wonder if Blake Griffin goes there now?

Might not be a bad fit for him now that his jumper has improved. The only question is wether he would want to be the 4th option on offense behind

1) driving Westbrook
2) shooting Westbrook
3) circus shot Westbrook

If the Celtics get Hayward, do they package Crowder and a guard (Rozier or Smart) for a rebounding/defensive big?

They should do something like that even if they don't get Hayward. Draft Fultz and trade Smart or Bradley for a competent big and balance out the roster a bit better.

Cornbread78

If the Celtics get Hayward, do they package Crowder and a guard (Rozier or Smart) for a rebounding/defensive big?

They should do something like that even if they don't get Hayward. Draft Fultz and trade Smart or Bradley for a competent big and balance out the roster a bit better.

Sounds good in theory, but who is "available" right now that a team would trade? Options are very limited right now, since those guys are not easy to come by in a backcourt dominated league.

Sounds good in theory, but who is "available" right now that a team would trade? Options are very limited right now, since those guys are not easy to come by in a backcourt dominated league.

Gortat? He's old, but he fits the bill of rebounding big who can set screens and play D. Wiz probably would like to get him out in favor of Mahinmi, Crowder can replace Otto Porter Jr if they don't resign him, and one of the C's guards could give the Wiz better bench depth that they're craving.

Cheebo

Banned

If they get Hayward and want to go all in 100% on winning now they could come up with a package with the 2018 Brook pick and some pieces to probably pry Drummond from Detroit (Detroit would want the 2017 pick obviously but likely could come up with a package with the 2018 pick). Andre Drummond is an elite defensive big who is forced to be the star player in Detroit and is just not the player to be that at all but in Boston? My god would he be dangerous.

A starting 5 of
PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Gordon Hayward
PF: Al Horford
C: Andre Drummond

Cornbread78

Gortat? He's old, but he fits the bill of rebounding big who can set screens and play D. Wiz probably would like to get him out in favor of Mahinmi, Crowder can replace Otto Porter Jr if they don't resign him, and one of the C's guards could give the Wiz better bench depth that they're craving.

Yeah, but Eastern conference rivals are probably not doing business anytime soon. Especially after all that $hit talking they all did....

If they get Hayward and want to go all in 100% on winning now they could come up with a package with the 2018 Brook pick and some pieces to probably pry Drummond from Detroit (Detroit would want the 2017 pick obviously but likely could come up with a package with the 2018 pick). Andre Drummond is an elite defensive big who is forced to be the star player in Detroit and is just not the player to be that at all but in Boston? My god would he be dangerous.

A starting 5 of
PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Gordon Hayward
PF: Al Horford
C: Andre Drummond

I keep forgetting about Drummond because he was so broken last year, but yeah, I would do this. They could probably just trade their own #1 and some seconds to pry him away after that complete $hit season he had last year.

Bread

Banned
Not sure I'd give up the chance for a top 3 pick in what looks to be a top tier draft for a dude who can't play in the 4th quarter.

What can the Bucks, Wiz, and Heat realistically do in free agency to turn up the pressure on the Cavs?

I think if Pat Riley can work his magic and land either Hayward or Griffin, that'd be a pretty fun team.

Bucks getting Jabari Parker back at some point to play along with Giannis will be incredible. Doesn't seem like they have a ton of money to burn, but maybe they can bring in a sharpshooter, maybe Korver?

Wiz might only have enough money to resign their own dudes, namely Otto Porter Jr. So unless they trade, they probably won't be able to add much to their team.

Top Bottom