• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Mory Dunz

I almost forgot how much Steph couldn't move last year.
Then this vid came up on autoplay:
https://youtu.be/d7jz9ELjLUA?t=56s

This year he would've gotten by Love approx. 6 times during that sequence.

lol at the T-Shirts. But Cleveland did that wierd halloween party thing. I hope these teams continue to dislike each other
"That's what she said" is a bad comeback LB. Quickie already had that connotation about y'all so....

phanphare

Banned
I almost forgot how much Steph couldn't move last year.
Then this vid came up on autoplay:
https://youtu.be/d7jz9ELjLUA?t=56s

This year he would've gotten by Love approx. 6 times during that sequence.

lol at the T-Shirts. But Cleveland did that wierd halloween party thing. I hope these teams continue to dislike each other
"That's what she said" is a bad comeback LB. Quickie already had that connotation about y'all so....

yeah people are weird about steph and I honestly don't know where it comes from

phanphare

Banned
It's the "if you play you take responsibility" type thing. Which has merit....at select times.

Same situation in 2017:
https://youtu.be/dF_TsBjtl64?t=59s

I'm not even talking about that, it's hard to explain because I don't think it comes from any one place but it's like a combo of his style of play, being smaller, being light skinned, and his upbringing, and some other factors where people just treat him differently than a lot of other guys in the league.

though yeah, that injury stuff was a consequence of that faux macho bullshit that still permeates throughout sports. you see it with the kd talk too like he was supposed to intentionally handicap himself because that's what a real man™️ would do.

Mory Dunz

I'm not even talking about that, it's hard to explain because I don't think it comes from any one place but it's like a combo of his style of play, being smaller, being light skinned, and his upbringing, and some other factors where people just treat him differently than a lot of other guys in the league.

though yeah, that injury stuff was a consequence of that faux macho bullshit that still permeates throughout sports. you see it with the kd talk too like he was supposed to intentionally handicap himself because that's what a real man™️ would do.

I think you pretty much nailed your question.

I'd also add his confidence/cockiness which most superstars have anyway.
It did strike me as odd that all these people were saying Lebron was in his head last year, cause the block and all this psychological stuff. I personally don't think Curry cares.

And the letting Durant join his team and deferring stuff had me rolling my eyes. I mean, Durant's a better player, but is Curry going to veto him coming to GSW? Why would anyone do that.

You know, I just watched Cobra for the gazillionth time right now and more than ever I feel like I can say there's absolutely nothing faux with macho bullshit. The day sports start being smart and stop being macho will be a sad day for mankind.

Servbot24

Banned
I mean saying "We may take Jackson... just kidding!" has no effect on the next team, they still just take the available player they want the most

jmizzal

What is Jackson's max upside? I dont see his offensive game upside even coming close to Wiggins, he can be a great defensive player, but he might be another Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Also he has off field issues, I dont see why teams love him so much.

I think Tatum and Justin Jackson will be better long term at SF

effzee

I think you pretty much nailed your question.

I'd also add his confidence/cockiness which most superstars have anyway.
It did strike me as odd that all these people were saying Lebron was in his head last year, cause the block and all this psychological stuff. I personally don't think Curry cares.

And the letting Durant join his team and deferring stuff had me rolling my eyes. I mean, Durant's a better player, but is Curry going to veto him coming to GSW? Why would anyone do that.

None of this logic applied to LBJ when he left Cleveland to go to Miami.

What is Jackson's max upside? I dont see his offensive game upside even coming close to Wiggins, he can be a great defensive player, but he might be another Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Also he has off field issues, I dont see why teams love him so much.

I think Tatum and Justin Jackson will be better long term at SF

I've heard Iggy comparisons for Jackson which seems reasonable. You also hear Kawhi get thrown around, but that's probably best case scenario absolute ceiling if he completely reworks his shot and becomes a super efficient offensive player. He's probably got the BB IQ for it from everything I've seen/read. I'm not sure why you are setting the bar at Wiggins as if that's unattainable. Wouldn't be all that surprised if he's a better pro than Wiggins.

y1fkemrf1v3z.jpg

DCYUoNsU0AAn5mZ

Is this going to end up like the Celtics Kobe picture?

jmizzal

I've heard Iggy comparisons for Jackson which seems reasonable. You also hear Kawhi get thrown around, but that's probably best case scenario absolute ceiling if he completely reworks his shot and becomes a super efficient offensive player. He's probably got the BB IQ for it from everything I've seen/read. I'm not sure why you are setting the bar at Wiggins as if that's unattainable. Wouldn't be all that surprised if he's a better pro than Wiggins.

I say Wiggins because they both were top recruits at KU, its so unfair for people to say Kawhi when Kawhi wasnt expected to be that, NBA doesnt need to start acting like the NFL and over thinking these picks.

I say Wiggins because they both were top recruits at KU, its so unfair for people to say Kawhi when Kawhi wasnt expected to be that, NBA doesnt need to start acting like the NFL and over thinking these picks.

Like I said, Kawhi is 100% highest of all high ceilings. The odds he gets there are probably tiny. But he's got a similar tool/skillset and a similar pro/cons list coming out of college. I think the other similarity is that both played PF in college (which is probably what caused Kawhi to fall, people thought he'd be a tweener instead of an elite wing player).

Tom Penny

Josh Jackson on the current roster doesn't even move the needle. They need a player that can get shots and shots for others. Even the one guy that can do that for the Celtics is on the shelf and he's 5'8. Ainge won't overthink it. He took Jaylen. Fultz isn't even close to that risk and more talented.

LionPride

Banned
I honestly think Jackson's ceiling is Rudy Gay or Andre Iguodola on the Nuggets
y1fkemrf1v3z.jpg

DCYUoNsU0AAn5mZ

Is this going to end up like the Celtics Kobe picture?
Markells looks gone as fuck

Man looks like he took something good before that pic god damn

Started the season 75% sure Hayward was staying. Now I'm like 80% sure he's leaving.

We just got out of the abyss, it's a bummer (if he does actually leave). And since there is no parity at the top I wonder how much I'll be able to enjoy the NBA the next few years.

LionPride

Banned
Started the season 75% sure Hayward was staying. Now I'm like 80% sure he's leaving.

We just got out of the abyss, it's a bummer (if he does actually leave). And since there is no parity at the top I wonder how much I'll be able to enjoy the NBA the next few years.
But there's never been parity

People watch the season because the basketball is currently at a damn golden age

Think about this year's regular season and all of the developments. We can only go up from here. Gordon Hayward on any team? I'll watch. Any star on any team? I'll watch because the basketball gon be good as hell.

But there's never been parity

People watch the season because the basketball is currently at a damn golden age

Think about this year's regular season and all of the developments. We can only go up from here. Gordon Hayward on any team? I'll watch. Any star on any team? I'll watch because the basketball gon be good as hell.

The regular season doesn't do much for me outside of my Jazz. I'm not going to set aside an evening to watch Giannis vs Westbrook in February. Maybe that says more about me as an NBA fan. I'll follow the story lines, highlights, etc. But I don't go out of my way to watch games until the playoffs, which no one can deny were bad this year.

LionPride

Banned
The regular season doesn't do much for me outside of my Jazz. I'm not going to set aside an evening to watch Giannis vs Westbrook in February. Maybe that says more about me as an NBA fan. I'll follow the story lines, highlights, etc. But I don't go out of my way to watch games until the playoffs, which no one can deny were bad this year.
Like you said, that's you

I found ways to watch games during the season because I love basketball period. Outside of the Timberwolves. Playoffs were meh, I just cared about the Finals

Did Ainge do it yet?
To lazy to quote and crop but Hayward > Crowder, Crowder disappears to much, gtfo
Hayward the god is 🐐

Ultimate warrior was best troll shirt, LeBron gets the W for that one.

LionPride

Banned
So uh...I always shit in Boston for not being a good city, for it's racism, for it just being shitty

This first part of the 30 for 30 ain't making me think differently

I like it so far. Almost as much as the Magic/Bird one

Cornbread78

I don't get the obsession with Hayward. Must be a white Boston thing. If he was black he'd be just another good guy.

ESPN was all over this last year saying the Celts only want Hayward because he is a white baller. No other reason.... uggh. Rumor is Oly is gonna get a max from Danny as well..

giphy.gif

Kinda sick of hearing that crap over and over again...

He's an all-star that the C's have a realistic chance of getting without giving up any assets. It makes perfect sense to me.

Exactly. Give me anyone that is going to make the team better.. Not that it's going to make a huge difference the next few years, but still....

It's pretty common knowledge that the Boston Celtics are a racist organization so I wouldn't be surprised if they were interested in Heyward as a way to whiten up their team.

Cornbread78

It's pretty common knowledge that the Boston Celtics are a racist organization so I wouldn't be surprised if they were interested in Heyward as a way to whiten up their team.

Can't argue with that.

They had Zeller Swedish Larry Bird and Kelly Olynk. They more than reached quota.

You guys are not helping the situation....

giphy.gif

So the off-season targets for the Celts are limited to:

Hayward
Hawes
Gallinari
Plumlee
Lee
Ilyasova
Reddick
Calderon
Zeller
Swed Larry