• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

If you want to know why the East sucks so much, just remember the NBA fired Sam Hinkie for being too good at his job
What year was the Jrue Holliday trade on draft night? Since that time the team has been trying as hard as possible to lose, completely unwatchable, miserable years. Now however many years later they finally have an exciting team that, barring injuries (which is a HUGE concern) is 3 or 4 years from being good even if every player lives up to the hype.

I think you're jumping the gun a bit.

How so? Thinking about it now, this is a really risky move by OKC. What's to stop PG from recruiting Westbrook going to LA with him?

PG is pretty much deadset on going to LA.

Plus I don't really see him complimenting Russ' game. It's probably going to annoy the hell out of him. We won't really know until the hit the floor together tho.

Only way I can see PG staying is if they make a deep playoff run.

overcast

So where's milsap (predicted to be) going and how much is he gonna cost?

Gotta figure he would make a few top teams very happy.

Edit: oh a lot of shit teams

Nothing stops him from recruiting other than not enjoying playing with Westbrook, which is entirely possible.

Who's sauces Chris Broussard?

Earlier the story was MEM 1st, Smart, Crowder, & Bradley

NVM bad source, still though that Boston deals blows out whatever crap OKC gave them. What a shit trade.

So where's milsap (predicted to be) going and how much is he gonna cost?

Gotta figure he would make a few top teams very happy.

Edit: oh a lot of shit teams

I think Minnesota is the best bet. I'm saying that because I believe he wants to go to a contender*.

But then again, last time he was a FA, he almost signed with Orlando.

So whoever coughs up the most years and money. I'm thinking Phoenix.

natjjohn

NVM bad source, still though that Boston deals blows out whatever crap OKC gave them. What a shit trade.

From what I was reading, seeemed Boston was unwilling to give any worthwhile picks or prospect instead making trashy late firsts the base of the deal. They give up one of either Nets OR Lakers/Sac pick they would have Paul George. Could've had George and still had an almost guaranteed high lottery pick in the bag if Boston.

Seems obvious Ainge is low balling and missing out on adding a superstar. First Butler, and now George. The talk of "better offers" from Boston camp seems to be messaging to placate the fans than reality.

Having said all of the above, not the biggest fan of this move for the Pacers. Dipo's contract is huge. Pacers seem to be betting on an elevation of his game out of Westbrook's shadow

Jarate

Banned
What year was the Jrue Holliday trade on draft night? Since that time the team has been trying as hard as possible to lose, completely unwatchable, miserable years. Now however many years later they finally have an exciting team that, barring injuries (which is a HUGE concern) is 3 or 4 years from being good even if every player lives up to the hype.

I think you're jumping the gun a bit.

Im gonna have to go through this again...

The worst place you can be in the NBA is the4 middle. After Iverson left in the mid 2000's, we were literally an 8th seed seemingly every fucking year, and we kept making bonehead fucking decisions that would further fuck up our future. This was apparently fine for the league.

Our team before Hinkie was garbage, our best asset was Jrue Holiday, who's kjnees were so bad the sixers had to give the Pelicans 2 million dollars. Our other best players were Thaddeus Young, Evan Turner, Spencer Hawes, Andrew Bynums corpse, and shit like Nick Young. All of whom are essentially worth 2nd round picks. Not only that, we owed a future 1st (which ended up being this years pick). This situation is worse then practically every team in the NBA currently other then the Nets. We had basically 0 assets. We used up all our assets to get Andrey Bynum. We theoretically couldve still had Iggy and Nik Vucevic and stuff like Arnette Moultrie, but that was not a Hinkie trade. This was the reason Hinkie was brought in.

In 3 seasons, Hinkie got us

2 incredibly valuable 1st round picks
Ben Simmons
Joel Embiid
Dario Saric
Robert Covington
Richaun Holmes
Nik Stauskas

Imagine The Knicks, through all there fucking years of suffering, if you promised them that in only 3 years time, your team could go from being one of the least valuable teams asset wise to one of the most talented.

And the biggest bullshit lie on the face of the fucking earth is implying that Sixers and Philly fans were against this. Ask everyone in Philly what they think of Sam and the Process and 75-80% of them are going to be on board. Do you want to know why. There is literally nothing more frustrating on earth then being stuck on the treadmill. There is no worse feeling knowing you'll never be competent ever, and even your future looks dim. Philly wants champions, we do not want mediocrity. A city like Memphis and Charlotte can be happy perpetually making it to the playoffs and loosing in the second round, but Philadelphians want chips.

The Process got me back into loving basketball, it finally gave me a reason to watch the Sixers. We sucked before, how tough is it really to just suck while letting young, carefree hypeathletes play the game hard. I had way more fun watching Jerami Grant try to dunk on literally everything then I ever did watching fucking Evan Turner. I had more fun watching Jakarr Sampson, Furkan Aldemir, Tony Wroten, and co try their fucking hearts out to win games then I ever did watching Spencer Hawes be a little bitch.

Ask any of the Sixers fans in here what their enthusiasm was for the Sixers before Hinkie showed up, and what theirenthusiasm is now.

The process was a great success even if every player ends up being horrible just due to the sheer number of assets built up in a very short time with literally no starting assets.

He was one of the best traders in the league (His MCW for the lakers 1st and his Kings Trade were probably some of the best trades outside of Danny Ainge's stroke of genius in recent memory) He didnt sign horrible old players to huge and long contracts that would've just hurt our chances at getting better. He had no bad contracts. He drafted well enough (Embiid, Saric and Noel were all very good picks, Jahlil was awful, MCW we ended up getting the Lakers First for so it has to be a good pick right?)

His single Blemish is Jahlil Okafor. But let's be honest, is that reason enough for the league to literally put Jerry Colangelo into the Sixers organization so he could hire his son?

The best evidence for Hinkies Success is also his downfall. What other GM has been fired by the league? Why would the league intervene with this and not the Knicks, who have been awful forever? The Kings surely deserve to be meddled with after their horrific incompetence? No, it is only Hinkie who has had that great honor. The league is perfectly fine with incompetence, but when a GM takes advantage of your horrible rules to build a team that has a much better chance of getting a superstar which is the single greatest factor in winning a title, that's when you get him removed.

Sam Hinkie was trying to "game the system." Good, I want him to gain any advantage possible to build the best possible team. If you look at the east right now, and you had to bet a little bit of money on what team is most likely to beat Lebron in the future. #1 has to be the Celtics, #2 might be either the Bucks or the Sixers. before Hinkie showed up, we wouldve been very far down that list. Now we're near the top.

The Process was a Success, and Sam Hinkie was literally fired for doing his job too well. Just take the fucking L

Jarate

Banned
Philly has a relevant team for the first time since AI was there, and people in here talking about how the process wasnt a fucking success

I wouldn't call it a success just yet. Philly is still a couple of years to reaching their potential. The pieces are definitely in place tho.

I hope they make the playoffs tho because more experience would definitely help that young team. Getting in early should help a lot.

Jarate

Banned
I wouldn't call it a success just yet. Philly is still a couple of years to reaching their potential. The pieces are definitely in place tho.

look where we were before hand to where we are now. It only took 3 years to go from one of the worst situations to one of the best situations. How is that not a success?

natjjohn

look where we were before hand to where we are now. It only took 3 years to go from one of the worst situations to one of the best situations. How is that not a success?

Things looking good on paper, but it's got to play out. Embiid has been a walking injury. If he can stay healthy and Fultz can learn how to win games, they have something.

Still think Sixers should've taken Ball.

TTG

Thinking about it now, this is a really risky move by OKC. What's to stop PG from recruiting Westbrook going to LA with him?

Would the Lakers even want that? I don't know if Magic wants to trade all his hopes and aspirations for those two. I mean, if we replay the first round match up right now, OKC get bounced just the same against Harden and Paul, actually there's a great chance they lose to the Rockets without Paul. So, you're hoping to get a 4 or 5 seed to maybe get decapitated in the second round. Westbrook and PG are gonna want all the money in the world and best case scenario it's the guys that aren't getting payed that can even make it competitive past the first round. Not great.

@wojespn
Free agent guard Jrue Holiday has reached agreement on 5-year, $126M deal to stay with New Orleans, agent Jason Glushon tells ESPN.

Deal includes bonuses that could move package to $150M, and a player option on 5th year.

^^^ Eww I'd rather have give Lowry that kind of money

I wouldn't chalk it up to success yet, remember the future dynasty that was the Oden-Roy Blazers?

Let's get a healthy Embiid and Simmons on the floor at the same time first.

Looking at all the current 2017-18 salaries

Oladipo is a top 30 player just above the like of Ryan Anderson joining Elite NBA talents like Chandler Parsons, Steven Adams, CJ McCollum and Harrison Barnes.

I think we're using success in different context right now. Good situation, I agree. Need to see results before I say success.

Trust me, I'd take Philly's situation over whatever the Hawks have right now any day.

Can The Process ever be defined as a success or a failure? By its very nature you're going to eventually end up with valuable assets like they did.

Philly has a relevant team for the first time since AI was there, and people in here talking about how the process wasnt a fucking success
So relevant =/= contender? Because you guys sure as hell aren't a contender.

So if relevant means "decent team could maybe make playoffs" then there are a ton of treadmill teams, which is your worst nightmare, that are relevant. And they didn't didn't go into a dumpster for half a decade to get there.

Edit: and I like this Sixers team! I don't want to be fighting from this side of the fence. I hope it works out. Just please dont act like the tank was so impressive. Literally anyone could do what Hinkie did as long as they were able to abandon dignity.

alejob

I'll give you Milwaukee but not Miami. They very well could lose Dion Waiters who was very important to their 2nd half success. They also benefited from Winslow's injury because they replaced him with guys that can actually shoot. Despite his talents, Winslow is a tough fit.

Also Washington is not guaranteed to be good. Bradley Beal, despite being healthy last season, is an injury risk and they have very little depth to overcome anyone missing a significant chunk of time.

Charlotte could very easily be the 5th seed next year.

Your analysis is bogus. Waiters had some good games last year, but the dude sucks.
You are predicting injuries. I'll predict Dwight Howard will be injured next year. Wizards are way better than Charlotte. But yeah, yeah they could end up at the 5 spot.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That Teague contract looks like an outright bargain after what the Pelicans just did jesus

Curry's contract dayum...highest contract in history?

It is until/if Wall decides to sign that extension. I can't imagine a guy with his knee problems actually turning down that kind of money even if his agent is Rich Paul.

Sanjuro

The secret to being a GM is act like you're above making a deal, then at the last moment get a return akin to a Mama Celeste frozen pizza.

Can The Process ever be defined as a success or a failure? By its very nature you're going to eventually end up with valuable assets like they did.
Well unless your NYK who have finished 12th or lower in the East 8 out of the last 13 years making the playoffs only three times. Being bad whether intentional or not doesn't automatically reward.

Gigglepoo

Am I the only one who doesn't think this trade is terrible? Olidipo is pretty good and Sabonis is essentially the lottery pick no one else was offering. Pacers were screwed either way but I'd rather have Dipo than Smart or Randle and Sabonis than a high 20s pick.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Am I the only one who doesn't think this trade is terrible? Olidipo is pretty good and Sabonis is essentially the lottery pick no one else was offering. Pacers were screwed either way but I'd rather have Dipo than Smart or Randle and Sabonis than a high 20s pick.

He's a mediocre player on a big contract. Maybe its the best they could do now but that just means they should have done a deal months ago or waited longer. What was the rush to get this deal done now? They could have at least waited another week and held leverage over teams who missed out on FA targets.

Tom Penny

Your getting a shitty pick and an overpaid Oladipo. They basically went tank mode without picks. They are going to suck.

He's a mediocre player on a big contract. Maybe its the best they could do now but that just means they should have done a deal months ago or waited longer. What was the rush to get this deal done now? They could have at least waited another week and held leverage over teams who missed out on FA targets.

This seems like a no brainer. Was OKC going to take that deal off the table like it would be too much at some point?

It's terrible because they did it so soon. If they really love those guys why not wait until Boston made their pitch to Hayward and then demand more from them with the fall back of getting Dipo and Sabonis anyways. They were days away from having even more leverage and they just gave it up for no reason.

jdstorm

Banned
It's terrible because they did it so soon. If they really love those guys why not wait until Boston made their pitch to Hayward and then demand more from them with the fall back of getting Dipo and Sabonis anyways. They were days away from having even more leverage and they just gave it up for no reason.

Because then Indy would miss out on free agency waiting on a trade that might never materialize. They had incentive to get it done as quickly as possible.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Dipo and Sabonis a steep price for a rental.

I guess West got another wing to piss off though.

Top Bottom