• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

jbug617

Banned
According to Woj the Pacers asked for Smart,Crowder and multiple 1st round picks (I assume either BK or LAL pick was one of them) and Celtics asked if they could wait till after the Hayward meeting.

Because then Indy would miss out on free agency waiting on a trade that might never materialize. They had incentive to get it done as quickly as possible.

I disagree, this exact trade would be there in the few days between now and when the C's talk to Hayward. Also, Oladipo is making more money than PG so their free agency plans probably haven't changed much.

gutshot

So relevant =/= contender? Because you guys sure as hell aren't a contender.

So if relevant means "decent team could maybe make playoffs" then there are a ton of treadmill teams, which is your worst nightmare, that are relevant. And they didn't didn't go into a dumpster for half a decade to get there.

Edit: and I like this Sixers team! I don't want to be fighting from this side of the fence. I hope it works out. Just please dont act like the tank was so impressive. Literally anyone could do what Hinkie did as long as they were able to abandon dignity.

There is a huge difference between a potential playoff team like Philly and one like, say, Atlanta. One has already reached their ceiling as a 5 seed, while for the other the 5 seed is their floor. Philly's roster has a ton more superstar potential than all but the Twolves when it comes to potential playoff teams.

And if literally anyone can do what Hinkie did, how come no one else has done it? Because no one else has the balls to stick to a plan for three years, despite pressure from all sides to WIN NOW. If it was easy to have that sort of commitment to a plan for years, despite the optics of your situation, then you would see GMs doing it all the time. It's not easy and that is what makes it exceptional.

Am I the only one who doesn't think this trade is terrible? Olidipo is pretty good and Sabonis is essentially the lottery pick no one else was offering. Pacers were screwed either way but I'd rather have Dipo than Smart or Randle and Sabonis than a high 20s pick.

George didn't do them any favors by announcing his intended departure, even though it was for the best intentions so no to leave the franchise high and dry like Durant.

Oladipo makes a lot now but will make the same amount over the next four years and is only 25. He has room to develop and given that he hasn't been on the most functional franchises in his short career his contract could potentially look better down the road. Especially given some of the stupid money that has been tossed around.

When people look at that deal all they see is this is the same value as the Ibaka trade who in turn only netted the Magic Ross and '17 1st rd pick (who the hell did they pick?)

It's easy to be critical when we don't know what was actually offered.

".@wojespn on @espn: #Pacers wanted Smart, Crowder, multiple 1st Rd picks from #Celtics. Boston wasn't ready to close before Hayward signing." -@AdamMKaufman

The Pacers rushed to pass on that?

jdstorm

Banned
I disagree, this exact trade would be there in the few days between now and when the C's talk to Hayward. Also, Oladipo is making more money than PG so their free agency plans probably haven't changed much.

Their plans might not have changed, but their availiable options would have. Mid level teams no longer wait to strike out on superstars. Jeff Teague signing so early is proof of that. The Pacers have a lot of gaps that needed filling and waiting for Boston to offer a reasonable package clearly didn't suit their timetable.

As it happens in Oladipo, Indy got the best player out of any of the rumored offers and he was locked in for 4 years. That was appealing enough to not wait on Danny Ainge to stop overvaluing his assets.

There is a huge difference between a potential playoff team like Philly and one like, say, Atlanta. One has already reached their ceiling as a 5 seed, while for the other the 5 seed is their floor. Philly's roster has a ton more superstar potential than all but the Twolves when it comes to potential playoff teams.

And if literally anyone can do what Hinkie did, how come no one else has done it? Because no one else has the balls to stick to a plan for three years, despite pressure from all sides to WIN NOW. If it was easy to have that sort of commitment to a plan for years, despite the optics of your situation, then you would see GMs doing it all the time. It's not easy and that is what makes it exceptional.
Why aren't tons of GMs attempting to suck as badly as possible so that 5 years from now they can have four high draft picks who have played a combined 70 games and zero together?

Gee, I couldnt tell ya.

Celtics offer seems worth waiting, depending on the picks of course. I don't like the trade from Indy's standpoint. I feel like the return they got would have been there in a week or even at the trade deadline, there was no need to rush to make a move. Plus Oladipo is making over $20M a year the next 4 years.

I like OKC trying to add to talent to Westbrook and hopefully keep both guys. Unlikely, but if they leave the team as is it's a lot harder to sell Westbrook on staying long term.

".@wojespn on @espn: #Pacers wanted Smart, Crowder, multiple 1st Rd picks from #Celtics. Boston wasn't ready to close before Hayward signing." -@AdamMKaufman

The Pacers rushed to pass on that?

That's what Indy wanted not what BOS offered? If that was the case why not accept? If they don't sign Hayward would that have still passed on a risky rental?

That's what Indy wanted not what BOS offered? If that was the case why not accept? If they don't sign Haywood would that have still passed on a risky rental?

If Boston wanted both guys they needed to sign Hayward first and then trade for PG because of cap space, otherwise they would've had to get rid of someone like Hortford I think.

Did Indy keep Hayward out of Boston?

New third favorite team.

Or did Indy just send Hayward to the East because he doesn't want to play in an even more stacked West?

If Boston wanted both guys they needed to sign Hayward first and then trade for PG because of cap space, otherwise they would've had to get rid of someone like Hortford I think.
So they wanted both or neither?

This is all moot if Hayward goes to Miami or stays in Utah.

gutshot

Why aren't tons of GMs attempting to suck as badly as possible so that 5 years from now they can have four high draft picks who have played a combined 70 games and zero together?

Gee, I couldnt tell ya.

I don't know why you keep saying 5 years when the Sixers tanked for 3 years. Last year wasn't a tank year and they could have made the playoffs if their best two players hadn't been injured.

Would most fan bases trade 3 years of tanking for a good chance at 6-7 years of championship contending? I think so. Philly's embracing the tank demonstrates that. Then why don't more GMs do it? Because they are more concerned with securing their job then they are about making smart long-term decisions.

So they wanted both or neither?

This is all moot if Hayward goes to Miami or stays in Utah.

I think they've always wanted, and still do want, Hayward but they were only going to give up legit assets for PG if they got Hayward as well because otherwise he would likely bolt to LA next offseason.

I don't know why you keep saying 5 years when the Sixers tanked for 3 years. Last year wasn't a tank year and they could have made the playoffs if their best two players hadn't been injured.

Would most fan bases trade 3 years of tanking for a good chance at 6-7 years of championship contending? I think so. Philly's embracing the tank demonstrates that. Then why don't more GMs do it? Because they are more concerned with securing their job then they are about making smart long-term decisions.
I guess we should talk again in 6-7 years.

Hope it works out, could be a really fun team.

How? Boston would be even more desperate to get PG because it'd mean they missed out on everyone else.

Or they are less likely to risk a year rental for a guy who wants to sign with thei historic rival the Lakers. Surely if Paul's such a LAL fan he must hate BOS.

If they can't go all in and team up Hayward-George why loses those assets on something that doesn't get them any closer to beating CLE let alone GS.

Nah, there's just a ton of luck involved along with trusting your scouting dept. The balls bounce a different way maybe their core is Marcus Smart, D'Lo Russell, Kris Dunn, Zack Lavine, Josh Jackson.

Tom Penny

"Lonzo Ball is going to take the Lakers to the playoffs in his first year,”

I wonder if the Vegas odds got even higher after this week.

DDqGR_BWAAAr_sP.jpg

Heat going hard for Hayward.

Kickz

Ricky-Rubio.gif

Instagram @ruuufio
Basketball brought me here 6 years ago. I didn't know much about Minnesota, and now I'm proud to call it home
What we have in Minnesota is special and you don't know that until you live there. You helped me to grow as a player, but more importantly as a person.
I learned a lot, met incredible people who became part of my family and will always be in my heart.... especially you, Flip.

200.gif

jbug617

Banned
According to Goodman, people around League think Pritchard did not want to trade PG13 to a team in Eastern Conference.

Most of the NBA execs I have talked to since Paul George trade feel that Kevin Pritchard was just too hell-bent on keeping George out of Eastern Conference; made it emotional instead of taking the best offer.

Jeff Goodman, ESPN Insider

According to Goodman, people around League think Pritchard did not want to trade PG13 to a team in Eastern Conference.

That's just some weird old school mentality that I'd rather be worse off than make your team better who I'll see 4 times a year and probably not again in the playoffs for another 6 years.

Kevtones

Dude I totally called it with Pritchard. Thinking that's why he didn't take up the Blazers offer.

Also the Wolves got Teague? Playoff team.

Best of luck to Rubio - all class.

LionPride

Banned
Dude I totally called it with Pritchard. Thinking that's why he didn't take up the Blazers offer.

Also the Wolves got Teague? Playoff team.

Best of luck to Rubio - all class.
Teague doesn't make them a playoff team, three of the guys in the starting lineup helps that

Pardon for my ignorance but how come there are rumors for every single superstar going to the Lakers?
People saying Westbrook and George join up in LA with Lebron and I'm like what.
Like every tweet about the Paul George and Westbrook thing there is someone saying they will come to LA next year to win? If Paul george wants to win why would he go to LA who isnt ready to take the next step yet?

Kickz

Pardon for my ignorance but how come there are rumors for every single superstar going to the Lakers?

To be fair that was said about Westbrook before, LMA, Durant, and any other free agent.

Lakers are a big name and will always be linked with free agents, even if it is just words.

PG is probably real though

Servbot24

Banned
Teague doesn't make them a playoff team, three of the guys in the starting lineup helps that

I think y'all are underrating Teague. 15 pts 8 assists per game is very solid, especially when you have 3 other guys who are going to score a lot anyways.

Teague
KAT
Butler
Wiggins

That's pretty darn good. I know it's a longshot but if Millsap is also interested that's gotta be one of the most promising starting 5 in the league.

Like every tweet about the Paul George and Westbrook thing there is someone saying they will come to LA next year to win? If Paul george wants to win why would he go to LA who isnt ready to take the next step yet?

No idea about the LeBron rumor but Westbrook and PG are from the area. PG has been vocal about wanting to go there.

To be fair that was said about Westbrook before, LMA, Durant, and any other free agent.

Lakers are a big name and will always be linked with free agents, even if it is just words.

PG is probably real though
I can definitely see PG13 on the Lakers but I just find it strange.

The hell does "better lifestyle" even mean?

Also there's been a lot of talk about no income tax in Florida. So, money appears to be a consideration here. In terms of endorsement opportunities, how do we rank the three cities? SLC has to be far bottom but I have no idea between Boston and Miami, or how big the gap between them is.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
The hell does "better lifestyle" even mean?

Also there's been a lot of talk about no income tax in Florida. So, money appears to be a consideration here. In terms of endorsement opportunities, how do we rank the three cities? SLC has to be far bottom but I have no idea between Boston and Miami, or how big the gap between them is.

Miami can effectively pay him more than any of the other teams. He's going to want to opt out after the 3rd year no matter what.

Top Bottom