• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Donovan Mitchell final line: 23 points (10-17 FG, 3-6 3P), 2 REB, 5 AST, 3 STL, 5 PF, a +23 in 25 minutes.

tenor.gif

spyder_ur

In all this discussion about efficiency, people are forgetting the biggest factors in what makes an efficient shot: whether they are open or not.

I think Crowder and Ingles are comparable players. I did not realize, however, that Crowder is 3+ years younger. That Ingles contract could be rough at the end.

Boogs31

In any case, the extra ball handling/point forward ability if Ingles makes him the better player offensively, imo

He's also a better defender. He's not a good athlete but he plays hard and has a high basketball IQ. He completely neutralized Redick in the first round of the playoffs.

Boogs31

In all this discussion about efficiency, people are forgetting the biggest factors in what makes an efficient shot: whether they are open or not.

I think Crowder and Ingles are comparable players. I did not realize, however, that Crowder is 3+ years younger. That Ingles contract could be rough at the end.

I don't think he'll decline that much given he already is a below average athlete. His value is in his shooting, passing and basketball IQ, things you can maintain even when you lose a step.

jdstorm

Banned
I don't think he'll decline that much given he already is a below average athlete. His value is in his shooting, passing and basketball IQ, things you can maintain even when you lose a step.

Biggest issue is he is a liability in any matchup vs an athletic team. For instance he's basically only playable vs Golden State when Livingston is on the floor.

Boogs31

Biggest issue is he is a liability in any matchup vs an athletic team. For instance he's basically only playable vs Golden State when Livingston is on the floor.

I disagree. He actually is an above average defender due to his positioning and size. He played 20 plus minutes in every game against the Warriors in the second round. The Warriors never ran him off the floor or ran the Jazz team of the floor for that matter (at least not any more than they did against Cleveland).

spyder_ur

Any time you can give $52 million to a 30 year old unathletic wing who gives you 7 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists a game, you have to do it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It's not. Given the percentages that actually obtain in the real world (under 36% league wide from 3), the dunk has been and will continue to be the most efficient shot in basketball.

Pretty much by technicality. Getting open dunks is a lot more difficult than open 3s.

charsace

Yeah, so, about the NY Knicks...

Any moves this off-season?
What the hell kind of move do you want? We need to rebuild. Should have sign and trade Melo years ago. Only thing Knicks should be looking into is getting picks and young players for as cheap as possible.

mjp2417

Banned
I disagree. He actually is an above average defender due to his positioning and size. He played 20 plus minutes in every game against the Warriors in the second round. The Warriors never ran him off the floor or ran the Jazz team of the floor for that matter (at least not any more than they did against Cleveland).

The Dubs ran the Jazz off the floor in 2 of the 4 games they played (like, just obliterated them from the opening tip) and controlled game 1 tip to tip. The only game that was ever really in doubt at any point was Game 3 and GSW still won that going away in the 4th. Cleveland took one off the Dubs and should have taken 2. Even Game 5 was tight in the 4th before the Dubs finally blew it open. The two series were in no way comparable.

A guy could theoretically never shoot unless he's wide open on a transition layup and have an amazing TS%. That doesn't mean he needs to be guarded closely at the 3 point line.

Crowder had a EFG% of 61.1 when tightly guarded. Ingles had a EFG% of 54.7 in the same situation.

We already discussed that Crowder has been more efficient in 1 out of 3 years that Ingles has been in the league. Being the more efficient player 2 out of 3 years makes Ingles the more efficient player based on something called math.

We also established that both guys have been improving yearly, which means that your version of "math" is irrelevant because right now Crowder is a better scorer than Ingles and the yearly trends of his career show he will continue to be so and he's 3 years younger.

Being more efficient 1 out of 3 years does not make you more efficient. Less of an offensive burden? No one can have a smaller burden than Crowder. He never handles the ball. Ingles actually runs Utah's offense at times. Have you ever seen Crowder run a pick and roll in Boston? Ingles does it all the time.

Crowder USG% was 17.0 last year. Ingles had an USG% of 13.9. Your first point is bullshit and you should research stuff before posting.

Celtics had a score frequency of 33.3% when Crowder was the handler in the PnR, against 34.0% with Ingles in that situation. Granted, Ingles was used much more frequently, but he was never used as a roll man, while Crowder was a few times and he scored respectably in that situation.

Just because you are throwing statistics around doesn't mean you are using them properly. Saying I'm going to put five guys with a good TS% last year and I'm going to have a good team is completely misunderstanding the sport of basketball.

It is not. If our defenses are equal and my team has a higher TS% than yours, my team will win. If my SF has a higher TS% than yours, he's a better scorer. Ingles is a better passer, true, but Crowder is a better rebounder.

In 1 out of 3 seasons, Crowder has been more efficient than Ingles. Whatever higher volume Crowder has is because he plays more minutes and is not as good of a passer and therefore shoots more often than Ingles.

1 out of 3 seasons because Crowder is improving as a player. So is Ingles. Crowder could be improving at a higher rate, since he's younger and hitting his prime while Ingles is already there. Yeah, pure volume is a bad way to look at how players score the basketball, if only we had a statistic that told us how efficient they are at scoring.............

Ingles was a better defender, passer, ball handler, and 3 pt shooter last year.

Crowder had a marginally better TS%. Shit I forgot that matters more than EVERYTHING else.

Crowder was a better scorer at a higher volume, better rebounder, had a comparable ast/to (2.1 for Ingles, 1.94 for Crowder), had a higher WS/48 and a much better rating according to 82games (+6.1 vs. +0.3).

Shams is reporting a three way trade

Sources: Clippers, Hawks, Nuggets working on trade of Danillo Gallinari to LA/Millsap to DEN; Jamal Crawford/Diamond Stone/future to Atlanta

RedAssedApe

Banned
Big3

The Lakers’ roster is stacked by summer league standards, featuring Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram and Ivica Zubac as the Las Vegas version of a big three, with David Nwaba, Josh Hart, Thomas Bryant, Kyle Kuzma and reigning D-League MVP Vander Blue all projecting as above average summer league contributors.

Gallo would have been a nice backup plan for Boston. Oh well.

Watching some highlights from the summer league game and holy shit Tatum looks very smooth. Like years beyond his age smooth. He will be a solid player, if he ends better than Fultz is debatable and unlikely early on, but I really doubt he won't be at least very productive.

Gallo would have been a nice backup plan for Boston. Oh well.

Watching some highlights from the summer league game and holy shit Tatum looks very smooth. Like years beyond his age smooth. He will be a solid player, if he ends better than Fultz is debatable and unlikely early on, but I really doubt he won't be at least very productive.

Tatum seems more likeable then Jaylen Brown. He seems NBA ready.

Don't want a sign a trade. Just go for the full tank. There's literally no point in competing atm.

Edit: unless there's picks involved.

Jamal Crawford being able to just hoist more shots than he should is an asset of you want to tank.

As it stands the hawks could have accidentally stumbled into the 8th seed

You're also getting next year's rockets pick, which is ok I guess, better than nothing

Jamal Crawford being able to just hoist more shots than he should is an asset of you want to tank.

As it stands the hawks could have accidentally stumbled into the 8th seed

You're also getting next year's rockets pick, which is ok I guess, better than nothing

You're getting the Houston pick. Good move for them.

Just now looked into the details. Jamal deserves a shot at a title. I guess I'm cool with the move. ATL just needs to tank at his point. Jamal will help win a couple of games for sure lol.

Just now looked into the details. Jamal deserves a shot at a title. I guess I'm cool with the move. ATL just needs to tank at his point. Jamal will help win a couple of games for sure lol.
He will will you to an occasional win and then help you lose a bunch of games too

Although apparently he wants a buy-out, doesnt want to be with the hawks

He will will you to an occasional win and then help you lose a bunch of games too

Although apparently he wants a buy-out, doesnt want to be with the hawks

Which I'm fine with. Hawks have no business winning games at this point. I'm sure there's a good relationship between the two but,like I said, Jamal deserves a shot with a contender.

Hawks just need to get the tank ready. No roster moves at this point will get them into a championship team 2-3 years from now. Just develop our young guys and go.

TTG

Jamal in an Atlanta uniform is going to be really strange... who am I kidding, I'm not watching a minute of the East next year.

Top Bottom