• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

mjp2417

Banned
Nah, it really isn't. Oladipo is still pretty good and Sabonis was the 12th pick in the 2016 draft and had a pretty decent rookie year (had some issues with the rookie wall later in the season though)

Oladipo is on a terrible contract and has shown no indication that he will ever be as good as Bradley. Bradley is also a much more valuable trade asset. Smart and Sabonis are probably a wash re value at the end of the day. And the Pacers didn't get any picks from OKC somehow. The Memphis pick could very well be in the lottery.

ty_hot

How is the Raptors doing ? I like them mainly because of Valanciunas. I know Lowry and DeRozan are 'great' players, but the team lack something in the playoffs. Is any of them leaving? any big name coming?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This is probably a sore subject, but a guy who would be awesome for Boston would be Derrick Favors.

I was really high on favors, but his whole lower body is a mess. Hips and knees. Too bad, he could've been a defensive force and a double double machine.

Oladipo is on a terrible contract and has shown no indication that he will ever be as good as Bradley. Bradley is also a much more valuable trade asset. Smart and Sabonis are probably a wash re value at the end of the day. And the Pacers didn't get any picks from OKC somehow. The Memphis pick could very well be in the lottery.
Bradley and Smart are both on expiring contracts smh...

How is the Raptors doing ? I like them mainly because of Valanciunas. I know Lowry and DeRozan are 'great' players, but the team lack something in the playoffs. Is any of them leaving? any big name coming?

Raptors have been looking to trade him. Since Ibaka could play C and more comfortable there.

jdstorm

Banned
You have seen the West right? Its going to be really easy for LA, Pheonix, Sacramento and whoever else tanks (Dallas? Portland?) To lose games.

Then in the east you have The Knicks who arguably have a worse roster and are free agent poison. Detroit, Chicago,Orlando, and Atlanta and they are all likely tanking.

Thats up to 10 teams that are tyring to lose games that the Nets could end up with a better record then since they are trying to win. Besides WCS is a mature developed version of the player Boston would want to use that pick on anyway. WCS fits their timeline much better then a rookie project.

I was really high on favors, but his whole lower body is a mess. Hips and knees. Too bad, he could've been a defensive force and a double double machine.

Yeah, it's sad because he could have been a star. I think that even with health issue (if they don't get worse) he will continue to be productive in the NBA, there's too much talent there.

mjp2417

Banned

I think the idea is that he is on an expiring contract coming off knee surgery + bad year. Buy relatively low and see if his body rebounds. He's still only 25.

spyder_ur

Gary Washburn saying the Hawks may be a landing spot for Crowder.
Honestly, any of the three are easily dealable so I'm not too worried about it.

]If Russell and Lin are healthy the Nets wont be a bottom 5 team. Right now is a great time to cash out on that asset.[/B]

Edit: also Zbo wont start. He's a bench guy/veteran leaderhip guy now.

Kings also won't get Otto Porter so their SF is either Temple, Richardson or Jackson. Crowder is a nice upgrade from those guys and brings another stable high character voice into a young locker room.

Wow - I don't agree. They traded the only guy who won them games last year. I have a hard time envisioning them avoiding the top 3 worst teams. Who is worse?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Wow - I don't agree. They traded the only guy who won them games last year. I have a hard time envisioning them avoiding the top 3 worst teams. Who is worse?

I believe they'll be even worse barring a fa signing or two. For a while there I thought the clippers had entered the game but for now they're safe.

Bottom teams will be - sun's, magic, kings, nets, pacers, hawks, lakers I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I think the kings signing hill and Randolph might propel them a bit, and if Booker and the you guys step up the sun's should be ok.

The Hawks entered the tank arena and the pacers as well. They have some talent there, but tanking is easy to accomplish in the NBA. Not to mention the nets have every reason to win, no reason to tank.

spyder_ur

Nets and Porter agree to a max deal. Wiz probably match.

That's an easy match for the Wiz - they have nothing else to do.

Would Boston do that? I don't mean to poo on the parade... but it's Gordon Hayward.

I mean - we'll see? The landscape may be completely different by then, and there's still a bunch up in the air about cap projections moving forward. We don't even know what that contract would be.

Honestly, if anything I'm happy about the non-max years.

jdstorm

Banned

Here's why the Nets will win games.

Its a proven fact that in the NBA you can Inflate your win total by surrounding a ball dominant PG and a good mobile defensive C and 3pt shooters. Then you play fast and get an extra 10 wins just by playing with effort most nights.

Brooklyn have that with Russell, Lin and Mosgov. They are essentially a lite (Bad) version of last years Rockets team. They won't be over .500 but 30-40 wins is somewhat reasonable and that will be enough to take them out of the top 5 which will mostly be average teams in the Western Conference getting anihilated by a brutal conference.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @wojespn 3m3 minutes ago

Isaiah Thomas on Gordon Hayward to ESPN: "The type of player we needed to get to the Finals. I'm excited and can't wait to get to work."

5699281+_59b518dd33e62f0f557e3b6502a27182.png

They won't be over .500 but 30-40 wins is somewhat reasonable and that will be enough to take them out of the top 5 which will mostly be average teams in the Western Conference getting anihilated by a brutal conference.

If the Nets as they are right now win 30-40 games I'll tattoo their logo on my ass.

If Russell and Lin are healthy the Nets wont be a bottom 5 team. Right now is a great time to cash out on that asset.

Edit: also Zbo wont start. He's a bench guy/veteran leaderhip guy now.

Kings also won't get Otto Porter so their SF is either Temple, Richardson or Jackson. Crowder is a nice upgrade from those guys and brings another stable high character voice into a young locker room.

Man I can't wait to watch a Lin and Russell backcourt defensively. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

jdstorm

Banned
Man I can't wait to watch a Lin and Russell backcourt defensively. That is a disaster waiting to happen.

Obviously. But 2 years ago in the west OKC almost made the playoffs (fell short by 1 game) playing Westbrook Waiters Morrow Augustin and Kanter lineups.

Defense matters if you are a good team, but bad/mediocre teams can just focus on offense and hope they outscore their opponents 40% of the time (which would be 32 wins)

Zukkoyaki

Regarding the Jazz/Hayward situation, I'm not convinced that it's going to hurt them as much as one would think.

Hayward is a very good player and was their most important guy on offense, but I wouldn't call him a major game changer. Plus the Jazz are still a great defensive squad with excellent coaching and if they can make moves for a decent wing, see improvement from guys like Hood and maybe get some production out of Mitchell like the Bucks got from Brogdan, I can still see them in the 40-50 win range.

Edit:
Nets strike me as a team that won't be good in terms of wins but will consistently be competitive in every game.

Dynomutt

Sources: Free agent guard Derrick Rose will meet with the Clippers on Wednesday.

@Adrian Wojnarowski, ESPN
Hmm. Dr. Rivers is going to rehab D. Rose's career.

This quote will stand:

"With these teams right now, they're saying us and Golden State are the super teams, and they're trying not to build that many super teams, and [commissioner] Adam Silver came out with the statement and this and that," Rose said during a recent interview with NBA.com.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Obviously. But 2 years ago in the west OKC almost made the playoffs (fell short by 1 game) playing Westbrook Waiters Morrow Augustin and Kanter lineups.

Defense matters if you are a good team, but bad/mediocre teams can just focus on offense and hope they outscore their opponents 40% of the time (which would be 32 wins)

Westbrook is an entire offense by himself. Lin and Russell are bench fodder at best. Russell that may change, but he'd be on the bench for most good teams. They also lost by far their best player from last season.

Tom Penny

Regarding the Jazz/Hayward situation, I'm not convinced that it's going to hurt them as much as one would think.

Hayward is a very good player and was their most important guy on offense, but I wouldn't call him a major game changer. Plus the Jazz are still a great defensive squad with excellent coaching and if they can make moves for a decent wing, see improvement from guys like Hood and maybe get some production out of Mitchell like the Bucks got from Brogdan, I can still see them in the 40-50 win range.

Edit:
Nets strike me as a team that won't be good in terms of wins but will consistently be competitive in every game.

Jazz just probably slide Ingles right into Haywards spot and replace the production.

jdstorm

Banned
Westbrook is an entire offense by himself. Lin and Russell are bench fodder at best. Russell that may change, but he'd be on the bench for most good teams. They also lost by far their best player from last season.

Its not just a Westbrook thing though. In 2014/15 Atlanta won 60 games with a mediocre roster + playing fast. That same year Pheonix won 39 games. Im not saying the nets will win a lot of games. They will likely be sub .500. However playing fast will probably get them an extra 10 wins and make them a 30-40 win team rather then a 20-30 win team

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Its not just a Westbrook thing though. In 2014/15 Atlanta won 60 games with a mediocre roster + playing fast. That same year Pheonix won 39 games. Im not saying the nets will win a lot of games. They will likely be sub .500. However playing fast will probably get them an extra 10 wins and make them a 30-40 win team rather then a 20-30 win team

You keep bringing up teams with talent.

That mediocre roster had horford, milsap, teague, korver at his peak, etc. Those 2 teams are literally NOTHING alike. This is stupid I don't know why I'm engaging in this convo.

Tom Penny

Here's why the Nets will win games.

Its a proven fact that in the NBA you can Inflate your win total by surrounding a ball dominant PG and a good mobile defensive C and 3pt shooters. Then you play fast and get an extra 10 wins just by playing with effort most nights.

Brooklyn have that with Russell, Lin and Mosgov. They are essentially a lite (Bad) version of last years Rockets team. They won't be over .500 but 30-40 wins is somewhat reasonable and that will be enough to take them out of the top 5 which will mostly be average teams in the Western Conference getting anihilated by a brutal conference.

Lakers played fast with an asstastic defense. They won lots of games last year.

Top Bottom