• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

JavyOO7

Hoping the best for Waiters and the Heat. I think there's a good chance for them to be at least a 6 seed... As long as they don't go 11-30 to start the season again.

I'm not saying it's a 1:1 to the PG situation, I'm saying in both cases the value of the asset is compromised, in Indy's case because PG was an expiring contract who made it known he wants out, in Boston's case because they have a finite amount of time to get this deal done and get space cleared so that they can bring Heyward on board. Teams know this (utah included, they could always threaten to back out of a potential S&T to take that option off the table and really put the pressure to Danny) and it's going to impact negotiations.

The impact IMO is much smaller because Crowder's contract is valuable and the other 29 teams in the league won't collude just to fuck with Danny. There's 0 pressure on Ainge at all here since the hardest part is already done, someone will take Crowder and if the Jazz hardball him much he will tell them to go fuck themselves and find another trade even if out of pride. He's just trying to maximize the value of the return (which won't be high unless someone gets stupid, but you should never rule that out).

Cleveland low-balled Billups. (SOURCES SAY)

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...t-salary-former-gm-candidate-chauncey-billups

The Cleveland Cavaliers offered former NBA All-Star Chauncey Billups what is viewed in NBA circles as a below-market salary of $2 million annually for the role of serving as general manager, league sources told ESPN.

According to sources, the team's initial offer was $1.5 million. League sources told ESPN that $4 million is typically the starting point of what an individual in that role should earn. Sources maintain financial compensation wasn't the only factor as to why the 40-year-old Billups turned down the job on Monday after weeks of deliberation, but it played a part.

Cleveland is known for its unwillingness to pay top dollar for front-office leadership.

Los Angeles Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka had no prior front-office experience, and he is believed to be making $5 million annually. Former New York Knicks president of basketball operations Phil Jackson, who also had zero executive experience, was signed to a five-year, $60 million deal.

Dan Gilbert is probably too cheap to even drive LeBron to the airport next year.

I've been watching some Zach LaVine highlights lately. I did not know this guy was that good of a player. I thought he was just a dunker but he's knocking down three's like he Kobe and putting up big numbers. He might be a future All-Star for the Bulls if he stays healthy.

Sandfox

I've been watching some Zach LaVine highlights lately. I did not know this guy was that good of a player. I thought he was just a dunker but he's knocking down three's like he Kobe and putting up big numbers. He might be a future All-Star for the Bulls if he stays healthy.
His main issue is that he's an Isaiah Thomas level defender. I thought he was a better player than Wiggins last season though.

Slizeezyc

(but probably not)

Though it is the East, so probably YES.

Who else is going to take him? Good teams who could use him are near their cap already, and teams tanking won't take him unless you include a pick.

He's a solid 3/4 on a very team friendly contract, there isn't a team in the league that couldn't use him. Giving him away for free makes no sense when we can get the cap room by moving Rozier and other pieces.

Slizeezyc

He's a solid 3/4 on a very team friendly contract, there isn't a team in the league that couldn't use him. Giving him away for free makes no sense when we can get the cap room by moving Rozier and other pieces.

Yes, but I think you're overlooking the fact that Crowder will Tonya Harding the shit out of Nancy Kerrigan Hayward if Hayward takes his starting spot and Jae is still on the team.

In fact, sources say, Gordon's already a dead man walking.

Yes, but I think you're overlooking the fact that Crowder will Tonya Harding the shit out of Nancy Kerrigan Hayward if Hayward takes his starting spot and Jae is still on the team.

In fact, sources say, Gordon's already a dead man walking.

That's probably true but he's still worth a fair return from most teams.

Always have been, always will be.
You're right of course. Replacing 70% of Haywards production for 1/5 the price sounds extremely appealing. Even if Hayward and the Celtics 'want' to help they still can't do it for nothing. Jazz should be willing to give up something, all four sides could be appeased here.

You're right of course. Replacing 70% of Haywards production for 1/5 the price sounds extremely appealing. Even if Hayward and the Celtics 'want' to help they still can't do it for nothing. Jazz should be willing to give up something, all four sides could be appeased here.

There's definitely a fair trade to be worked out here but it's probably not the Jae for Betrayward deal, straight up or with a protected 2nd round pick.

Marz

I don't want Crowder. I want Exum and Hood to start at the wings and I want Mitchell and Burks to get significant minutes this year.

Marz

None of those guys except maybe Hood can play SF.

Well JJ is still on the team and Ingles of course so Ingles will probably start unfortunately but I want to see if these guys have it... there's really no point in playing veterans this year there's no scoring on the team.

Well JJ is still on the team and Ingles of course so Ingles will probably start unfortunately but I want to see if these guys have it... there's really no point in playing veterans this year there's no scoring on the team.
Crowder is much less of a 'veteran' than JJ. We need an SF badly and he fits perfectly. He's around for three years at an amazing price, there is no reason why he couldn't be an important part of the next phase for the Jazz.

Then why hasn't he been traded? Chicago didn't want him. Indiana didn't want him. If anyone would give a 1st round pick for him, he'd be gone already.
Indiana and Chicago weren't offering a first round pick. They were offering Jimmy Butler and Paul George, kind of different. I doubt Ainge was offering him for a mid first rounder considering he is a very good player at a stupidly good price. But now all sides have motivation. And Utah has more than anyone because along with Crowder they get a huge trade exception.

Then why hasn't he been traded? Chicago didn't want him. Indiana didn't want him. If anyone would give a 1st round pick for him, he'd be gone already.

Every rumor I've seen for the past year or so said that Ainge didn't want to move Crowder in those trades. Do you seriously think a contending team wouldn't give up a first for him?

That's why they'll take Hayward for Crowder straight up. Sure they could use the trade exception, but they're not going to give up other assets to get it.

If I'm the C's I'd rather give up Rozier and Djax plus a middling pick to a team with cap space rather than give Jae up for nothing. The guy is valuable.

Top Bottom