• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Slizeezyc

that was the question posed yep, and for some reason he's shit posting at people pointing out it's an easy decision?

Relax slugger, no one is mad. In a vacuum, I'm taking the good defender who just has to improve his spot up ability to have lots of value as a multi-positional defender, versus the dude who has to shoot much better than he has to be worthy of a starting spot when he lacks overall versatility on defense.

I don't want to pay either boatloads of cash at this juncture, but such is the life of the NBA without many good wings.

Bread

Banned
wasn't KCP supposed to be a great 3&D guy coming out of college? he hasn't shown anything that warrants giving him a big deal.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Relax slugger, no one is mad. In a vacuum, I'm taking the good defender who just has to improve his spot up ability to have lots of value as a multi-positional defender, versus the dude who has to shoot much better than he has to be worthy of a starting spot when he lacks overall versatility on defense.

I don't want to pay either boatloads of cash at this juncture, but such is the life of the NBA without many good wings.

Relax? I'm fine. Just pointing out your bitter shit posting.

Slizeezyc

wasn't KCP supposed to be a great 3&D guy coming out of college? he hasn't shown anything that warrants giving him a big deal.

Honestly I think coming out of college it was his shooting people were higher on than the defense because he was insanely inconsistent on defense in college. It's been the inverse. A pretty shot that never goes in and actually turned into one of the better on-ball defenders at the point of attack.

Relax? I'm fine. Just pointing out your bitter shit posting.

All right, fair enough, you win. I am bitter to the core and will die alone.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
If KCP was going to go down the 1 year route its going to be with the Cavs no? His agent is Rich Paul after all and theres really no way better to make yourself look better than by playing next to Lebron

Slizeezyc

I seen that Crawford is thinking about a 1 year deal with Clev

Yeah I think the Lakers said they weren't interested in Crawford even though he reached out to them.

If KCP was going to go down the 1 year route its going to be with the Cavs no? His agent is Rich Paul after all and theres really no way better to make yourself look better than by playing next to Lebron

Cavs have zero money though. Even if he fits in some exception I'm not aware of (I'm pretty sure they don't), wouldn't he rather get a balloon payment from someone of like 17-20 million for one season than one season at like 5 million? I mean you sort of know what KCP is at this point, good defender, bad shooter. I don't think with fewer teams having cap space next year the LeBron magic would change much even if it were feasible.

But if we're going with fantasy scenarios like with the Cavs, he should go to the Wizards for a season. KCP shoots 40 percent from the corner for his career and shot almost 47 percent from the corner last year, and is in general tolerable on spot ups. Nobody gets people paid by giving them open corner 3s like Sir John Wall.

Cheebo

Banned

You realize Cavs have no money right? And KCP will get multiple offers for 15-20+ mil a year. He isnt taking the vet minimum lol.

Cheebo

Banned
Even KCP is getting a big deal. It's pretty insane

The fact that the Pistons who KCP has played for since he was drafted rather take a risk on 1 year left on Bradley before having to max him over maxing KCP now should be a huge red flag to other teams about KCP..

Slizeezyc

The fact that the Pistons who KCP has played for since he was drafted rather take a risk on 1 year left on Bradley before having to max him over maxing KCP now should be a huge red flag to other teams about KCP..

I think it's in part also just risk mitigation by the Pistons. If the Nets really do loom large if the Porter sheet is matched, they could offer something the Pistons can't even match because they're hard capped. So in that case they don't have AB or KCP since the Celtics can't wait 5 days for the Porter Jr. situation to be settled. So if the Pistons don't want to pay KCP near the max anyway (which seems fair, though the Pistons have wasted plenty of money elsewhere), at least you can kick the can down the road a year and see if the market for AB is soft enough to get what you hope KCP becomes on offense in AB and lock it in at a smaller AAV.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You realize Cavs have no money right? And KCP will get multiple offers for 15, if not 20+ mil a year. He isnt taking the vet minimum lol.

They still have their MLE. There are like not even half a dozen teams that could take on that kind of money at this point in FA. I think he ends up in Brooklyn anyway because the Wizards will match on Porter but if they don't then things get really interesting.

Cheebo

Banned
I think it's in part also just risk mitigation by the Pistons. If the Nets really do loom large if the Porter sheet is matched, they could offer something the Pistons can't even match because they're hard capped. So in that case they don't have AB or KCP since the Celtics can't wait 5 days for the Porter Jr. situation to be settled. So if the Pistons don't want to pay KCP near the max anyway (which seems fair, though the Pistons have wasted plenty of money elsewhere), at least you can kick the can down the road a year and see if the market for AB is soft enough to get what you hope KCP becomes on offense in AB and lock it in at a smaller AAV.

I don't think Pistons are too worried about Bradley walking either. They have his bird rights and next summer is expected to be even tighter for teams than this summer. If he fits in well and plays as well as he did in Boston Pistons will offer him max. Their owner has made it clear he is willing to pay the luxury tax if need be.

They still have their MLE. There are like not even half a dozen teams that could take on that kind of money at this point in FA. I think he ends up in Brooklyn anyway because the Wizards will match on Porter but if they don't then things get really interesting.

Atlanta, Pacers, Knicks, Lakers, & Brooklyn would all offer WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more than the MLE. He isn't taking the MLE. That isn't even something worth debating lol.

Slizeezyc

Their MLE is only 5 million since they just paid the tax and are above the apron, and it would add to their already impressive tax bill.

I don't think Pistons are too worried about Bradley walking either. They have his bird rights and next summer is expected to be even tighter for teams than this summer. If he fits in well and plays as well as he did in Boston Pistons will offer him max. Their owner has made it clear he is willing to pay the luxury tax if need be.

Fair enough, I tend to agree with that general thought process and why it's solid risk mitigation as I said. AB has them over a barrel just like KCP had them over a barrel this year though (only he's a UFA) in that the Pistons already have like 100 million in salary on the books for next year not even including Bradley's cap hold. So they have no way to replace him and so AB does have most of the leverage at this juncture.

jmizzal

Cavs have zero money though. Even if he fits in some exception I'm not aware of (I'm pretty sure they don't), wouldn't he rather get a balloon payment from someone of like 17-20 million for one season than one season at like 5 million? I mean you sort of know what KCP is at this point, good defender, bad shooter. I don't think with fewer teams having cap space next year the LeBron magic would change much even if it were feasible.

But if we're going with fantasy scenarios like with the Cavs, he should go to the Wizards for a season. KCP shoots 40 percent from the corner for his career and shot almost 47 percent from the corner last year, and is in general tolerable on spot ups. Nobody gets people paid by giving them open corner 3s like Sir John Wall.

Going to the Cavs will also kill his value, so he better get paid now, no way he has the production on the Cavs that he did on Det.

Slizeezyc

Going to the Cavs will also kill his value, so he better get paid now, no way he has the production on the Cavs that he did on Det.

Could be more efficient in this hypothetical scenario since his shooting numbers are somewhat deflated by the volume. Again, not a useless spot-up shooter and downright solid from the corners, if people saw him on the court in the 4th and hitting some open 3s in the playoffs, it probably wouldn't hurt the value. The Cavs don't have a lot of dudes they trust to run out at that wing spot beyond JR Smith.

But again, this fantasy isn't happening I don't think so it's really just fun to talk about.

VeeP

Everything about KCP I've seen so far makes me think he'll fit well on literally any other team. He's a great defender, and great clutch shooter. He's on 24 I believe, and I really think his shot will improve. Not sure if he's worth the max or not, but he was probably the first or second best Piston player last year.

Just saw the Cavs talk. KCP is a player Cavs would want. Dude plays hard on both ends of the floor. He would do extremely well on that team. He would get more open looks and is a solid defender.

LionPride

Banned
KCP is trash

So is Stanley Johnson but at least he's like 20

I now have zero reason to see the Celtics do well because Bradley was the only player I gave a damn bout on that team

Cheebo

Banned
Rich Paul would deserve to lose his agents license if he tried to steer KCP to a MLE deal with the Cavs.
KCP would fire him if he tried that.

I don't get why we are even wasting posts on this.

It's just as logical as saying "Hey, maybe Cavs will trade Kyrie to the Warriors?".

That guy is a complete joke and has absolutely no track record at all. Unless they are verified don't listen to any trade rumors from rando's on Twitter.
Ian Begley, who is the knicks' most reliable and active beat writer/insider said you can trust him. He's leaked information that ended up being right before, like who the Knicks planned to draft and then recruiting Noah. And going by the Knicks fans on Reddit he's a trusted source

Detroit tried to keep kcp with 5 years $80 million, which was rejected. And AB isn't getting the max in this cap-strapped environment

Slizeezyc

Nets playin the long con

Just max out RFAs and make teams match fuckin up they cap instead of yours

It's true, in two years when half the league is fucked with bad deals because of the Nets, they'll finally have their picks back AND have cap space to sign everyone.

Awntawn

Knicks greatness on display, fire the GM and have the temp make long term decisions

844507593.gif

Why not? America did it

Top Bottom