• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

How can the Jazz lose Hayward and still be the best looking team in the league?

DD3AXRBUwAAWd9t.jpg

Kyle Lowry got 3/$100 million. That kind of sets the market for IT if he has another season like last.

Assuming that the point guard market dries up similarly in terms of available point guards next year:

1) Next draft shouldn't be as point guard heavy, which helps IT

2) Here is the list of available guards in free agency next year:

A. Notably, there is Chris Paul, Milos Teodosic as a RFA, Lou Williams, Marcus Smart, Tony Parker, and Yogi Ferrell

B. This means, unlike this year with Teague/Hill/Holiday/Lowry all entering the market, and barring an explosive year from Teodosic or Chris Paul wanting to leave Houston, IT is aided by how much he dominates the point guard market next year. The plan Bs aren't that good.

3) IT is hurt by the Celtics' draft picks, especially if they get Doncic. But we've been in this situation before XD.

4) This is a look at the cap space available for next off-season for every team:

A. Looking at that list, I could see the Hawks, Mavericks especially, Bulls, Jazz (lol) (plus doesn't fit their emphasis on defense) (but I could see it), and Lakers being the leverage teams.

From that list, the Hawks seem like they're committing to a tank and have Schroder, so I doubt it. The Lakers will first sign Paul George, and Isaiah Thomas seems like a star that they would go for if they couldn't find another.

I see the Mavs making a play. Even though they have DSJ, Carlisle likes running lineups with ALOT of guards XD.

I could see something like 3 years $35 million possibly coming into play. Or a longer 5 year $27 million if not.

EDIT: Oh yeah Bread made a great point about IT's injury.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Assuming that the point guard market dries up similarly in terms of available point guards next year:

4) This is a look at the cap space available for next off-season for every team:

A. Looking at that list, I could see the Hawks, Mavericks especially, Bulls, Jazz (lol) (plus doesn't fit their emphasis on defense) (but I could see it), and Lakers being the leverage teams.

From that list, the Hawks seem like they're committing to a tank and have Schroder, so I doubt it. The Lakers will first sign Paul George, and Isaiah Thomas seems like a star that they would go for if they couldn't find another.

I see the Mavs making a play. Even though they have DSJ, Carlisle likes running lineups with ALOT of guards XD.

I could see something like 3 years $35 million possibly coming into play. Or a longer 5 year $27 million if not.

That's the thing - none of these teams are going to pay him that much. They are all tanking or in rebuild mode. If he was 22, maybe. At 30? Uh... no way.

That's the thing - none of these teams are going to pay him that much. They are all tanking or in rebuild mode. If he was 22, maybe. At 30? Uh... no way.

Jazz don't tank as much as collect assets and slowly build.

Mavericks going after IT when they have a coach that runs 3 guard lineups (like legitimately guards, not just wings) and an owner that wants star power and a competitive lineup for Dirk to ride off into the sunset with is an incredibly Mavericks type move. Hell, the Mavericks getting used for leverage is an incredibly Mavericks move.

Bulls and Reinsdorf just want to make money, and IT will put people in seats.

If IT keeps his previous year performance they better be giving him 5 years if they want to pay him less.

He will take less for the team (supermaxes are dumb no matter who the player is) but anything below 23m is disrespectful.

https://mobile.twitter.com/manny_navarro/status/883441674982236160
Manny Navarro said:
FYI, I'm told the final year of James Johnson's four-year, $60 million deal is a team option.

Ok that's better

Dragic, Whiteside, and JJ will all expire at the same time then

Although, they won't be the only big spenders that off-season. The summer of 2016 was filled with terrible 4 year contracts, and this summer seems to be putting alot of players who would've gotten overpriced 4 year contracts in that summer at more manageable but still expensive 3 year contracts. A lot of money is gonna go off the books that off-season

FZZ

Banned
Lonzo Ball and Magic Johnson will determine the Lakers' future

But it's still hard to process what's happening with Tina compared with the rest of her family. She was in the hospital recovering from surgery on her skull the same night her eldest son was being drafted No. 2 overall by the Lakers?

It's incredible how everything has come together just as LaVar said it would, but it's hard to forget that Tina wasn't there to enjoy it. Pain and joy, fear and hope, all in the same moment.

Lonzo Ball exists in two worlds right now.

So much joy at a dream fulfilled. So much real-life sadness and pain to deal with.

So many hopes riding on him. So much faith already bestowed upon him.

"That's how it's supposed to be," he says.

FUCK

I hope the fucking best for him man :/

edit: Article is really good btw, highly recommend giving it a read

Slizeezyc

"Lowe: The Celtics think they can re-sign Isaiah Thomas next summer on a contract starting at $20-23M rather than $30-35M." -@BlazerdBySagar

That seems reasonable.

It didn't seem like he had any inside info on it though when I read his column and listened to the Lowe Post today. It was more like he was saying, Celtics see maybe a lot of teams don't have cap and how the market snapped back this year and might be thinking we can get him on X amount.

mjp2417

Banned
What? I mean hes had a nice offseason but Felton was not good last year.

He's still a functional backup point guard going to a team whose most glaring weakness was the lack of a functional backup point guard. OKC entered the offseason capped out with no second reliable scorer, no shooting, and no backup point guard. They now have an elite second scorer, more shooting, and a league average backup PG.

With Barnes, Noel and now Dennis Smith Jr Dallas is going for the youth movement. I think its more likely they'll try to snag a RFA with some contract fuckery than go after IT.

Top Bottom