• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

If this guy doesn't show up today, I'll consider him a bust.
kris-dunn-of-the-minnesota-timberwolves-poses-for-a-portrait-during-the-2016-nba-rookie-photoshoot-at-madison-square-garden-training-center.jpg

https://youtu.be/6L4TVhNBNDY

https://youtu.be/0D1RhW83NX8

Zhou Qi is gonna be a project, for sure, but i really like his jumper and soft touch and if he just bulks up a little I think he might look like a steal in a year or two. It would be nice to have him at that point right now, but he's going to be a nice player to pull up from the G-league while we are still contending with harden and Paul but struggle a little more to get youth and role players

He's also not some lumbering big center without a feel for the game, which could have been a worry with some international prospects

Tbh, I think we're gonna play him as a 3/4. Chinese KD incoming

EDIT: The curse of D'Lo is why Lonzo struggled and will now be a bust.

LTqvyN0_d.jpg

mjp2417

Banned
Or just stop pretending he's a PG and play him at SG.

The realization that Lonzo is ultimately a 2 wouldn't surprise me eventually, but that locks you into very, very specific point guard needs to complement him (i.e. someone who can create off the dibble and is also elite defensively which describes like only a handful of PG's in the league right now).

jdstorm

Banned
The realization that Lonzo is ultimately a 2 wouldn't surprise me eventually, but that locks you into very, very specific point guard needs to complement him (i.e. someone who can create off the dibble and is also elite defensively which describes like only a handful of PG's in the league right now).

Being able to create off the dribble is PG101 thats not that specific, its the job description. Defensively most rookies suck so i wouldnt worry about it. Ball has solid tools and will get better.

I've gone from thinking that Zhou qi might stay the full year in the G-league to thinking he might sometimes see legit NBA minutes in this season

Fuck I shouldn't be so excited over a summer league game

TTG

Zaza returning to GSW for 1yr $3.5M. JaVale the last one I have any interest in seeing what will happen to. Don't care about Clark, Barnes, or McAdios.

Retaining JaVale may mean being too deep which could result in discomfort and pain. The Warriors should be cautious and attentive to the league's reaction on this one, maybe let JaVale go,
but not to Houston.

charsace

Don't know why this is even a big deal. Ball isn't a scorer. He is compared to Jason Kidd and Rubio without the strong pick and roll game that either guy has.

charsace

His game ain't like Kidd though

In any facet

In the full court he is Kidd, Rubio, Paul type of break runner. The problem I always had with him is running pick and roll in the halfcourt. You can see that below average in the pick and roll which is weird because the best passers usually destroy teams passing out of the pick and roll. Reminds me of Jason Williams who didn't get consistent at running pick and roll until years into his career.

LionPride

Banned
In the full court he is Kidd, Rubio, Paul type of break runner. The problem I always had with him is running pick and roll in the halfcourt. You can see that below average in the pick and roll which is weird because the best passers usually destroy teams passing out of the pick and roll. Reminds me of Jason Williams who didn't get consistent at running pick and roll until years into his career.
He's not good in the halfcourt unless he's offball which is weird

Don't know why this is even a big deal. Ball isn't a scorer. He is compared to Jason Kidd and Rubio without the strong pick and roll game that either guy has.

Every time anyone would compare him to Rubio or Kidd because of his funky jumpshot, Lonzo fans went mad saying the shot will translate to the NBA.

We will have to see about that. The fact he can only shoot going one way isn't encouraging.

Tom Penny

It begins. New advanced NBA stats. Waiting for makes passing contagious stat.

Officially, Ball was credited with five assists Friday night. That sells his playmaking short. Some of Ball's best passes don't result in an assist. They come as the pass that leads to the pass -- the so-called hockey assist

jdstorm

Banned
It begins. New advanced NBA stats. Waiting for makes passing contagious stat.

That would actually be very easy to do. You would use ball tracking technology and measure the average speed of the ball's horizontal movement while a player was on the court. The faster the ball moves, the better the team is passing.

Tom Penny

There are guys who have been really good at seeing things develop. Too early to say if Ball is on that level because the game was too fast for him.

His open court skills are obvious. You can't teach court vision. He flat out looked like ass on defense and very underwhelming running the show in half court though.

charsace

Any chance Hardaway Jr's contract is matched so we don't look like the laughingstock of the league for 5 min?

He was going to end up making 15mill a year so it isn't a big over pay. The problem is that we traded him away only to sign him back and have to slightly overpay for him.

jmizzal

There is no reason for Ball to be jacking up 11 3 pointers, if he cut down the 3's and let the game come to him, he should play much better.

charsace

There is no reason for Ball to be jacking up 11 3 pointers, if he cut down the 3's and let the game come to him, he should play much better.
That how he scores with the ball in his hands in the half court.

Honestly his stat line doesn't matter. What is worrying is that the game was too fast for him. Overall he didn't look good in the halfcourt which has always been a problem for him. In the half court he couldn't get off a juumpshot without a pick. He had problems getting by his man off the dribble. He is not good in the pick and roll and he really needs it as his handle just isn't good enough to consistently beat guys of the dribble. He just looked bad running the offense. I just didn't see that Terrell Brandon, Jason Kidd, Ricky Rubio, Steve Nash, or Scotty Pippen type of ability to make something happen when he had the ball. Which is bad because a lot of people are saying that he has it.

He was going to end up making 15mill a year so it isn't a big over pay. The problem is that we traded him away only to sign him back and have to slightly overpay for him.

Locking up $70 million for a mediocre guard is a terrible overpay. Hardaway doesn't do any one thing great. Any team worth a shit should be able to find an average ass shooting guard out of the D-League for a fraction of the cost.

charsace

Locking up $70 million for a mediocre guard is a terrible overpay. Hardaway doesn't do any one thing great. Any team worth a shit should be able to find an average ass shooting guard out of the D-League for a fraction of the cost.

If the guys in the D league were average NBA players they wouldn't be in the D league.

If the guys in the D league were average NBA players they wouldn't be in the D league.

Some of them just need an opportunity. I'd wager there are a decent number of guys toiling away (especially SG/combo guards, which seem to fall off trees) that if given the minutes and green light that Hardaway Jr. got last season, could probably give you 14/2/2 on 45/35% shooting, or at least something close to it, for a fraction of the cost. It's a horrid contract. If you are that desperate for an average SG, draft one late or try and find one in the D-league is what I'm saying. Especially if you are a lottery team.

charsace

Some of them just need an opportunity. I'd wager there are a decent number of guys toiling away (especially SG/combo guards, which seem to fall off trees) that if given the minutes and green light that Hardaway Jr. got last season, could probably give you 14/2/2 on 45/35% shooting, or at least something close to it, for a fraction of the cost. It's a horrid contract.

Horrid based on what? Otto Porter is about to make 25mill a year. Reddick is making 23mill next year. Hardaway contract would be a huge over pay in 2015. In today's market he isn't overpaid

Horrid based on what? Otto Porter is about to make 25mill a year. Reddick is making 23mill next year. Hardaway contract would be a huge over pay in 2015. In today's market he isn't overpaid

Otto Porter is a better player than Hardaway Jr. Far better. More versatile. Younger. Shot 43% from three. Reddick's is a one year deal which is why Philly would probably acknowledge it's an overpay for one year. If someone wanted to give Hardaway a one year balloon contract it wouldn't be as bad. Dion Waiters is a far better player too and he signed for $20 million less in total money. Locking in that much money (18% of the cap) on mediocre ass Tim Hardaway for multiple years is an awful contract.

Also you are thinking in last year's terms with regards to the cap. There's been a contraction. The cap actually went backwards. Teams aren't spending willy nilly and throwing money around because the smart ones realize that bubble burst and cap space will be at a premium again. The Knicks now have a huge chunk of that contracted cap locked into Tim fucking Hardaway JR and Joakim Noah's corpse and both of those deals are likely untradable. Good luck with that, NY.

Tall4Life

Whats the D league ?

NBA development league, now the Gatorade G League. Basically what it said, it's a development system for younger players who teams don't see as ready for the NBA yet. A lot of those that play in it are going to be trash; it's not really used as a league to develop the young players but as a place to keep talent signed to you that you don't care about it. The decent young players usually skip it.

charsace

Otto Porter is a better player than Hardaway Jr. Far better. More versatile. Younger. Shot 43% from three. Reddick's is a one year deal which is why Philly would probably acknowledge it's an overpay for one year. If someone wanted to give Hardaway a one year balloon contract it wouldn't be as bad. Dion Waiters is a far better player too and he signed for $20 million less in total money. Locking in that much money (18% of the cap) on mediocre ass Tim Hardaway for multiple years is an awful contract.

Also you are thinking in last year's terms with regards to the cap. There's been a contraction. The cap actually went backwards. Teams aren't spending willy nilly and throwing money around because the smart ones realize that bubble burst and cap space will be at a premium again. The Knicks now have a huge chunk of that contracted cap locked into Tim fucking Hardaway JR and Joakim Noah's corpse and both of those deals are likely untradable. Good luck with that, NY.

Otto Porter, DW, THJ are all around the same level of player right now. The 3 of them are just supporting pieces at this point. Their salaries they are going to end up with have more to do with how good teams think they will be not the just the current level they are at now.

Slizeezyc

I mean the cap didn't go backwards, it went from 94 to 99 million this offseason, it just didn't go up as much as the projections stated before the season began, or even as much as the later projections thought either due to the owners spending so much last offseason and not enough playoff games.

But yes, the Hardaway Jr. deal is without question a terrible overpay and just bad overall, as there's no upside for the Knicks. Either he performs up to it and is properly paid, he doesn't provide enough and under performs it, or he over performs and gets to opt out anyway due to a player option on it.

Otto Porter, DW, THJ are all around the same level of player right now. The 3 of them are just supporting pieces at this point. Their salaries they are going to end up with have more to do with how good teams think they will be not the just the current level they are at now.

This isn't helpful to say without quantifying it somehow.

lmao Otto Porter and THJ are not "around the same level of player". Even Waiters is better than he is.

I mean the cap didn't go backwards, it went from 94 to 99 million this offseason, it just didn't go up as much as the projections stated before the season began, or even as much as the later projections thought either due to the owners spending so much last offseason and not enough playoff games.

Correct. I just mean that it really curtailed teams' free spending ways from last season.

Top Bottom