• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

jbug617

Banned
My problem with Lonzo last night was that he felt timid when he got to the basket. Always looked to kick it back out. He could of forced the refs to make some calls so he can get to the line. Maybe he felt nervous because of the bad shooting night.

Kickz

Woj just confirmed ATL will not match Hardaway Jr's giant offer sheet. You can't make this stuff up!!

Woj says the Hawks will not match that THJ contract. Sorry Knicks fans.

giphy.gif

Don't expect Boston Celtics point guard Isaiah Thomas to give the franchise a discount when he's eligible to become a free agent after the 2017-18 season. He wants a max contract.

On Friday, the 28-year-old point guard told CSN New England's A. Sherrod Blakely he's a "max guy" and he's "happy" for everyone getting paid this offseason because his monster payday is coming soon.

"My time is coming," Thomas said. "They know they've got to bring the Brink's truck."

The comments are similar to the ones he made last summer when the topic was raised.

"They better bring out the Brink's truck," Thomas told reporters last July. "They're paying everybody else. I gotta get something."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2720499-isaiah-thomas-says-celtics-will-have-to-offer-max-contract-to-keep-star-pg?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Isaiah wants that bag.

Slizeezyc

My problem with Lonzo last night was that he felt timid when he got to the basket. Always looked to kick it back out. He could of forced the refs to make some calls so he can get to the line. Maybe he felt nervous because of the bad shooting night.

I mean the scouting report would say last night (minus the bad shooting) was more or less Lonzo's style. He doesn't go to the line much, and he doesn't try to finish much in non-oop, non-off ball, and non-fastbreak situations. Ball's not made for Summer League like a guard such as Fox/Mudiay/Dunn is. When Ball does decide to actually shoot at the rim, it's usually gone in, but his assist percentage at the rim is astronomical for a point guard (ie he's not finishing off his own dribble drives) which is why sometimes people mention him as an off-guard rather than a lead guard.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
NBA development league, now the Gatorade G League. Basically what it said, it's a development system for younger players who teams don't see as ready for the NBA yet. A lot of those that play in it are going to be trash; it's not really used as a league to develop the young players but as a place to keep talent signed to you that you don't care about it. The decent young players usually skip it.

Incorrect. Might have been like that like 5 years ago or so but now with the majority of teams now owning a G League team they are actually using it to help develop players where they can.

Raptors for instance over the last few years have put Norm Powell, Bruno Caboclo, Bebe Nogueira, Delon Wright, Fred VanVleet, Pascal Siakam and Jakob Poeltl all through it. All have benefited greatly from it where they get to play 30 minutes a night down there running the same type of plays they'd run if they were up with the NBA team.

NBA development league, now the Gatorade G League. Basically what it said, it's a development system for younger players who teams don't see as ready for the NBA yet. A lot of those that play in it are going to be trash; it's not really used as a league to develop the young players but as a place to keep talent signed to you that you don't care about it. The decent young players usually skip it.
Depends on the team. From what I've seen, most if the teams that pull role players out of nowhere, like the heat, Rockets, Spurs, raptors, etc. are pretty good about using the G-league for development. Morey, Houston's gm, basically has the opinion that players need to actually see the court to improve. It's also where the extreme emphasis on 3s and layups only was developed - with the RGV Vipers

Some credentials for that dude

If I must give another recap, Big Baby called the Courtney Lee signing, broke the Rubio for rose trade talks, first called us picking Frank on draft night, and broke the news that Melo was still on the block after Phil got fired when it was still up in the air. This guy is legit, but this is his biggest scoop yet.
Plus some more, like the Noah deal

Ian Begley just credited him for the report that THJ and Courtney Lee are expected to be able to play together by the Knicks.

Horrid based on what? Otto Porter is about to make 25mill a year. Reddick is making 23mill next year. Hardaway contract would be a huge over pay in 2015. In today's market he isn't overpaid

Otto is worth that based on the potential he showed last season and Reddick is a one year deal for a team that wasn't going to use that cap space in a long term deal anyways. THJ is absolutely being overpaid, just look at how quickly his team let him go.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Wow these first game hot takes. Lonzo is going to be fine.

While I agree it's the first game and definitely an overreaction, you can't just say "he'll be fine". The thing that's concerning at least a decent amount, was that all his flaws lit up significantly last night against inferior competition. People have questioned if his shot form would work in the nba, if he was slowed down, could he operate in the half court? Could he be so efficient if he wasn't able to get to his spots like he did in college. These questions are legit problems for somebody like lonzo who isn't a freak athlete. If anything I think it shows at the very least, there will be significant bumps in his first few years, versus some people saying he would instantly upgrade the lakers.

What comparison? MCW's biggest problem is that he can't shoot and never could, even in college. Off the ball, on the ball, wherever. He shoots like 20% from three. Lonzo at least shot well in college. It's a lazy comparison.

I compared it jokingly in the hot takes post games, but I do think that MCW's rookie year is pretty much a best case scenario for Ball's rookie year. Perhaps less rebounds, more assists and a different way of getting those points. Which honestly wouldn't be too bad, MCW didn't turn to shit until later.

I compared it jokingly in the hot takes post games, but I do think that MCW's rookie year is pretty much a best case scenario for Ball's rookie year. Perhaps less rebounds, more assists and a different way of getting those points. Which honestly wouldn't be too bad, MCW didn't turn to shit until later.

They aren't similar players other than being tall guards.

I don't think Lonzo will look to score in the way MCW did. That's not his game.

You're right, however there's not many offensive weapons in the Lakers and Walton's team is going to play fast so he could score in double digits even if he does so inefficiently.

Besides doesn't lonzo have elite court vision? MCW was never projected near that was he?

MCW did average over 6 assists in his rookie year, which is very good because court vision usually also takes some time to translate to the NBA. I think Ball is going to average in his rookie year around that, 6-7 dishes per game, considering he's younger than MCW was in his rookie year. That is if things work out.

You're right, however there's not many offensive weapons in the Lakers and Walton's team is going to play fast so he could score in double digits even if he does so inefficiently.

MCW did average over 6 assists in his rookie year, which is very good because court vision usually also takes some time to translate to the NBA. I think Ball is going to average in his rookie year around that, 6-7 dishes per game, considering he's younger than MCW was in his rookie year. That is if things work out.

assist totals != court vision. Marbury and Francis both often hit 7-9 APG seasons, but I doubt either would be heralded as having great court vision. MCW's rookie assist numbers were likely the result of having the ball in his hands constantly on a garbage team.

CommanderBuck

Neo Member
While I agree it's the first game and definitely an overreaction, you can't just say "he'll be fine". The thing that's concerning at least a decent amount, was that all his flaws lit up significantly last night against inferior competition. People have questioned if his shot form would work in the nba, if he was slowed down, could he operate in the half court? Could he be so efficient if he wasn't able to get to his spots like he did in college. These questions are legit problems for somebody like lonzo who isn't a freak athlete. If anything I think it shows at the very least, there will be significant bumps in his first few years, versus some people saying he would instantly upgrade the lakers.
I don't think we've seen enough of him yet.

Don't expect Boston Celtics point guard Isaiah Thomas to give the franchise a discount when he's eligible to become a free agent after the 2017-18 season. He wants a max contract.

On Friday, the 28-year-old point guard told CSN New England's A. Sherrod Blakely he's a "max guy" and he's "happy" for everyone getting paid this offseason because his monster payday is coming soon.

"My time is coming," Thomas said. "They know they've got to bring the Brink's truck."

The comments are similar to the ones he made last summer when the topic was raised.

"They better bring out the Brink's truck," Thomas told reporters last July. "They're paying everybody else. I gotta get something."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2720499-isaiah-thomas-says-celtics-will-have-to-offer-max-contract-to-keep-star-pg?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Isaiah wants that bag.
It is pretty funny how obviously stoned he is during that interview. Lol

assist totals != court vision. Marbury and Francis both often hit 7-9 APG seasons, but I doubt either would be heralded as having great court vision. MCW's rookie assist numbers were likely the result of having the ball in his hands constantly on a garbage team.

I fully expect Lonzo to have the ball in his hand constantly in a garbage team unless he proves to be so raw that he can't have that play time. I still think he ends up with 6-7 assists per game in that scenario which is again the best case scenario for his first year in the league.

I fully expect Lonzo to have the ball in his hand constantly in a garbage team unless he proves to be so raw that he can't have that play time. I still think he ends up with 6-7 assists per game in that scenario which is again the best case scenario for his first year in the league.

I mean, that's not really the way Walton is looking to run the offense.

Also again, you are comparing assist totals to assist totals and thinking they equate to similar court vision abilities, which is not the case. Two players can both average 6-7 apg, that doesn't mean they have similar court vision.

Bobby Marks‏Verified account
@BobbyMarks42
Follow

A James Harden four-year extension would start in 2019-20 at a salary of $37.8M, $40.8M, $43.8M and $46.8M

Paying James Harden $45M seven years from now seems unwise.

Isaiah wants that bag.

That's why Fultz was 🐐all along
Danny ain't paying him

No one will pay him

I mean, that's not really the way Walton is looking to run the offense.

Also again, you are comparing assist totals to assist totals and thinking they equate to similar court vision abilities, which is not the case. Two players can both average 6-7 apg, that doesn't mean they have similar court vision.

I'm not disagreeing with you here, I'm simply trying to gauge a ceiling for Lonzo's production in his rookie year lol.

Top Bottom