• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Sandfox

1 for Butler is a pretty amazing trade, all things considered. We had dudes in here clowning us for saying 17, 18, and Jayling was too much at the deadline.

That really depends on how you feel about the Celtics with Butler vs. Fultz short and long term.

Bread

Banned
That really depends on how you feel about the Celtics with Butler vs. Fultz short and long term.
Sure, Butler is obviously the shorter term choice. He will clearly be better for a minimum of 3 years as Fultz develops but after that Fultz could be the elite scorer that's projected of him. A trade for him would mean that something else is coming, either another trade or a big Hayward/Griffin signing.

I mean if I'm the Celts I'm doing anything possible to get Nawleans involved to pry away AD.

Get AD, sign Hayward, that's the only way they're beating Bron.

But I don't get why they're thinking short term. They're set to be a powerhouse long term if they just wait it out.

I mean if I'm the Celts I'm doing anything possible to get Nawleans involved to pry away AD.

Get AD, sign Hayward, that's the only way they're beating Bron.

But I don't get why they're thinking short term. They're set to be a powerhouse long term if they just wait it out.

I don't think there's any way the C's can get AD.

jbug617

Banned
David Aldridge says as of right now being discussed is #1 for #3, Lakers Pick and Future 1st. He said Boston might flip some picks and players for Butler but not confidant in that.

The only way that makes sense to me is if he really looked bad in his workout. All the rumors coming out of Boston for a long time have made it seem like Ainge loves Fultz.

spyder_ur

Personally I think the only way a deal gets done is in compilation with another deal ala 2008. It doesn't make sense for the Celtics to accrue even more picks than they already have otherwise.

I'm just catching up on these rumors, though.

I think Danny is just fielding offers for the pick in a loaded class, as he should.

It's too late to make a Magic Johnson joke but here is where I would insert it.

ACE 1991

I'm gonna be so bummed if this trade doesn't go through, even if it's an overpay. The whole point of the process was stockpiling assets to move up for a guy like this (perfect fit, super star potential). Even if we give up LAC 18, SAC 19 and #3 I don't think any of those picks would end up getting us a player that could be potentially better.

mjp2417

Banned
The only way that makes sense to me is if he really looked bad in his workout. All the rumors coming out of Boston for a long time have made it seem like Ainge loves Fultz.

I think it's more likely that they just happen to also love Jackson and would prefer Jackson + draft pick haul or Jackson + Butler to just Fultz.

"Also was told that Josh Jackson's workout in LA "did not go well at all." Brought high energy but struggled with his shooting and handle." - @DraftExpress

Fuck, there's no way Ainge doesn't draft this guy.

effzee

So I don't follow college ball at all. Can someone give me comparison for these guys in the NBA?

Jackson is like who? Fultz? I hear Ball is a lot like Kidd. Are any of these guys really projected to be difference makers? I mean just a few seasons ago Okafor was supposed to be a difference maker and now he's a scrub.

So I don't follow college ball at all. Can someone give me comparison for these guys in the NBA?

Jackson is like who? Fultz? I hear Ball is a lot like Kidd. Are any of these guys really projected to be difference makers? I mean just a few seasons ago Okafor was supposed to be a difference maker and now he's a scrub.

Fultz is supposed be like Harden. a score first versatile point guard.

Josh? I think he's like Crowder honestly.

FZZ

Banned

Fultz is a scoring machine that is above average in all other facets as a PG except defense

He has the least bust potential

Idk if he has an NBA counterpart really

mjp2417

Banned

Jackson is somewhat comparable to Wiggins. All three are better draft prospects than Okafor was and have games that can translate to the modern NBA.

LionPride

Banned

Ball ain't like Kidd. At all. Besides being a light skinned dude from.Cali.

I am not quite sure I would go for that trade if I was the Sixers.

Seems like a massive overpay and it will only work out if Embiid and Simmons can stay healthy.

I didn't say otherwise.

If 2 of my centerpieces were injury prone I wouldn't want to blow my plan B by giving away all those picks I had amassed.

Fair but if they think Fultz is legit it makes sense to move up for him and have a young core of Embiid, Simmons and Fultz. Even if Embiid is never healthy for a whole season that team still has an insane amount of potential and if the rumors are true and it's just this year's pick + Lakers/Kings 2018 pick they'll still have a lot of future assets to work with.

Fair but if they think Fultz is legit it makes sense to move up for him and have a young core of Embiid, Simmons and Fultz. Even if Embiid is never healthy for a whole season that team still has an insane amount of potential and if the rumors are true and it's just this year's pick + Lakers/Kings 2018 pick they'll still have a lot of future assets to work with.

Rumors has it Ainge wants more than those 2 picks. Possibly a future first.

Then he will trade those picks for even more picks, again and again, until all #1 picks from 2028 to 2036 belong to the Celtics.
Hey Hinkie did it and everyone treats him like god. Ainge has a competitive team, he can wait.

If I had a competitive team I would gladly trade away Fultz for all those picks the Sixers have gathered. N.3 this year will yield a great player as will the 3 picks they can get for next year.

I don't understand how a single workout negates years of playing competitive games that were scouted.

It doesn't. Its all controlled leaks.

Also competitive games performance isn't what scouts are looking for. They are all looking for skills and upside.

So many players that did well in college will barely be drafted.

Slizeezyc

Hey Hinkie did it and everyone treats him like god. Ainge has a competitive team, he can wait.

If I had a competitive team I would gladly trade away Fultz for all those picks the Sixers have gathered. N.3 this year will yield a great player as will the 3 picks they can get for next year.

Ehhhhh, I dunno about that. He had plenty of detractors (and didn't last very long), and this sort of trade is not anything like what he did trading Jrue and MCW. Jrue was the only young valuable piece on a team going nowhere, and MCW had one inflated season and a weaker sophomore campaign before being jettisoned for a reset with that Lakers pick -- again on a team going nowhere, and the "optics" of trading the rookie of the year being the only real negative reason to dislike it.

This is the first pick in the draft being dealt to move down and pick up more for the future. Hinkie seemingly liked being as high as possible in the draft (hence the losing hard), and only moved back the one time to get Orlando to get the Sixers their owed first back and draft the guy they wanted anyway in Dario.

Hinkie seemed to be more about the long view in terms of trusting in the best players regardless of the wait (Okafor being the big whoopsie, though even by that point it seemed like his firing clock was already ticking with Embiid having the setback etc.) more than fetishizing picks in the same way Ainge seems to -- after all the Sixers were hunting for picks because they had none to start with when Hinkie got there (including not having some of their own) and were going nowhere.

I think the trade could be a win-win for both teams (even if it's just the Lakers 1st and 3 this year) if it means the Celtics are doing it to get Butler anyway. Maybe the Bulls like Josh Jackson or Ball more than Fultz, maybe Ainge has a similar opinion either way and wants to do it. And Fultz with the Sixers is on the same timetable as Simmons/Embiid with age and fits better than Ball or Jackson would.

bud23

Trading Fultz would be an historic mistake, guy is the most promising draft prospect since Lebron.

With Hayward, Fultz and a decent power forward they have a legit shot to win the title, or at least to make the finals, in the next 3-4 years

Hope they don't blow it

Sanjuro

Trading Fultz would be an historic mistake, guy is the most promising draft prospect since Lebron.

With Hayward, Fultz and a decent power forward they have a legit shot to win the title, or at least to make the finals, in the next 3-4 years

Hope they don't blow it

I haven't heard anybody saying this.

Hayward is a better signing because you don't give up shit for him
Butler would be terrible if you don't draft anyone in the top 10

Give Chicago those second round picks and late first round to get it done. Philly too

76ers #1
Celtics #3 , lakers pick, Butler
Bulls, 4-6 picks, Okafor

Then trade next years lakers pick for Drummand because nets are an easier tank to predict
Ainge gonna do it 👀

Servbot24

Banned

Hope they don't blow it

In 3 years there's I agree a decent chance. Brown and Fultz would have enough experience, LeBron should be at least starting to decline by then, and that's also when GSW has to renegotiate with Klay and Draymond. Who knows what Spurs will be up to then but lately they're stuck at one notch below championship level.

Top Bottom