• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

mjp2417

Banned
Cavs would want a pick on top of that. I don't think the Nuggets do it.

Maybe, but it would end up being a non-lottery if it comes to that and Kyrie has more value to a team like the Nuggets who simply can't put asses in seats. Kyrie has the brand and marketing value of a true superstar despite not being a true superstar (thanks LeBron!).

Lolol why would the cavs trade Kyrie for IT? Who is far and away a better battle tried player? Kyrie for Wiggins and picks is a better trade. He gives them scoring and some defensive potential.

Because you are long and athletic doesn't mean you will be a good defender

Possession by possession, there are a few defenders who are as bad as Wiggins. When Wiggins contests a shot, opponents have a 56.1 effective field goal percentage; when they are unguarded, they have a 56.4 eFG percentage. Fundamentally, getting a shot up against Andrew Wiggins is the same as getting an open shot.

If Thibs hasn't realized that supposed defensive potential yet I doubt Ty Lue will.

Maybe, but it would end up being a non-lottery if it comes to that and Kyrie has more value to a team like the Nuggets who simply can't put asses in seats. Kyrie has the brand and marketing value of a true superstar despite not being a true superstar (thanks LeBron!).

Are they that desperate to gut their wings rotation to get "that guy from the Uncle Drew commercials"?

That trade doesn't really make them any better. The Kyrie-Jokic PnR defense would be comical.

jdstorm

Banned
So your master plan to rebuild is obtain future 1st rd picks from MIL and hope Kryie leaves and Giannis doesn't still take them to the playoffs?

Then turn around and some how pry Cousin's expiring contract away from NOP for an expiring contract?

Why not just use your most valuable asset and get Cousins in the first place?

CLE gets Cousins and Middleton

MIL gets Holiday and Frye's expiring contract

NOP gets Kryie and Monroe's expiring contract

Sure you miss out on all those valuable 2020+ early 20th picks from MIL but you might convince Lebron to stay a little longer.

Lebron is gone. He's out.

Why would Milwaukee do that? They are a small market team and Holiday is earning huge money and hasn't really done all that much to prove he is elite. Milwaukee cant afford contracts like those.

Expiring contracts are useful for a team like the Lakers who will then have more room to sign players next summer.

Cavs are in the luxury tax, an expiring contract does not buy them any space to sign a new big contract next summer.

You are essentially saying Cavs should trade Kyrie, a superstar, for 3 mediocre non-lottery picks. Which is absolutely godawful return.

I'm essentially saying that Lebron is gone. Cleveland have 125M next year committed to 9 players including Lebron. That becomes 90M to 8 players should Lebron leave. That would give Cleveland roughly 10M in cap room to try and move forward post Lebron.

Having someone like Monroe or Boogie expire would take that to 75M in committed salaries. That gives Cleveland approximately 28M in cap space for the 2018/19 season assuming the 103M cap projection is accurate.

This leaves cleveland with 3 possible scenarios

1. Lebron changes his mind and decides to stay. Cleveland now have Lebron, Monroe/Boogie, Warren and Bledsoe as their best 4 players, all can create for others and shoot.

2. Lebron leaves Cleveland has Bledsoe Smith Warren Thompson and Monroe/Boogie as the starting 5 and stays a perenial playoff team in the east for the next 5 years because they are able to add talent via the non taxpayer MLE and the picks collected from Milwaukee can be used as trade assets.

3. Lebron and Monroe/Boogie both leave for nothing.

Cleveland has 28M in cap space, 3 promising young/prime players who will be worth something on the trade market hypothetically (Bledsoe, Warren and Thompson) and two first round draft picks per draft for the next 3 years. They will also likely have a big expiring contract like Jared Dudley or Tyson Chandler.

This means that Cleveland can take on up to 40M in bad contracts for picks/assets while tanking for the next 3 seasons and they will be ready to be a contender post Lebron within 3 years or less provided they don't screw up the rebuild.

All of those scenarios are good for Cleveland.

mjp2417

Banned
Are they that desperate to gut their wings rotation to get "that guy from the Uncle Drew commercials"?

That trade doesn't really make them any better. The Kyrie-Jokic PnR defense would be comical.

I don't love it for them for basketball reasons, but remember they were trying to throw a ton of money at Dwyane Wade's corpse last summer. They need big name stars to draw fans out there and Kyrie is one of the biggest names in the league.

Lebron is gone. He's out.

Why would Milwaukee do that? They are a small market team and Holiday is earning huge money and hasn't really done all that much to prove he is elite. Milwaukee cant afford contracts like those.
You just said MIL was desperate for a PG and and being a small market team they can't attract free agents. You're essentially turning Middleton into what would probably ends up being an All-star PG in the depleted East.

The contract is atrocious and his injury history is a concern maybe some of those sweet early-20 lotto picks from NOP will convince them to roll the dice Holiday, Parker and Giannis are all healthy for a playoff run.

And if you are operating on the idea that Lebron is gone then you can get a hell of a lot more than that deal. Cap space means nothing to a CLE if no one is on your roster to win.

jdstorm

Banned
Lebron for Greg Monroe

who says no

The CBA

Honestly not sure why i care so much about something that won't happen, but for some reason i felt the need to explain myself.

re current market inefficiencies

The current market inefficiencies are good players on bad teams and/or players being incorrectly used by their coaches. Advanced stats tend to have inbuilt confirmation bias when it comes to team results be they winning or losing.

You just said MIL was desperate for a PG and and being a small market team they can't attract free agents. You're essentially turning Middleton into what would probably ends up being an All-star PG in the depleted East.

The contract is atrocious and his injury history is a concern maybe some of those sweet early-20 lotto picks from NOP will convince them to roll the dice Holiday, Parker and Giannis are all healthy for a playoff run.

And if you are operating on the idea that Lebron is gone then you can get a hell of a lot more than that deal. Cap space means nothing to a CLE if no one is on your roster to win.

Except Middleton is better and more valuable then Holiday. While Milwaukee can't afford the risk Holiday's contract presents. At least Kyrie is a top 20 Guy. Is Holiday even a top 10 PG?

You could definitely get more for Clevelands players if you did a straight up Lebron is gone firesale. You would trade everyone but Lebron and force him to waive his no trade clause. The problem is that won't allow you to compete for a title this year and try and get a 2nd championship before Lebron leaves.

Tanking this season also makes no sense due to the size of Clevelands payroll and the fact that enough teams in the east are tanking/rebuilding that you wouldn't be able to guarentee a great pick, especially when you consider how hard it will be for a rebuilding team to win in the West.

I have to agree with Monroe's agent on that one.

Giving up Middleton for Holiday is an awful move. Middleton is a pretty good 2 guard on a bargain contract and Holiday will never be good/healthy enough to make his contract worth it.

Except Middleton is better and more valuable then Holiday. While Milwaukee can't afford the risk Holiday's contract presents. At least Kyrie is a top 20 Guy. Is Holiday even a top 10 PG?

You could definitely get more for Clevelands players if you did a straight up Lebron is gone firesale. You would trade everyone but Lebron and force him to waive his no trade clause. The problem is that won't allow you to compete for a title this year and try and get a 2nd championship before Lebron leaves.

Tanking this season also makes no sense due to the size of Clevelands payroll and the fact that enough teams in the east are tanking/rebuilding that you wouldn't be able to guarentee a great pick, especially when you consider how hard it will be for a rebuilding team to win in the West.
Holiday is probably outside the top 10 PG but Middleton is definitely outside the top 10 SG or SF. MIL can't get Kyrie with any deal you come up with so it doesn't really make any difference to compare his value over Holiday.

Your deal doesn't make them competitive just poorly managed. You could exile Kyrie to any lotto team that owns their picks just make sure you're receiving something past 2020

CLE goal is to receive a package that makes them competitive next season while also having some fail safe for the future if Lebron bolts. A deal straight up with MIL does neither.

I have to agree with Monroe's agent on that one.

Giving up Middleton for Holiday is an awful move. Middleton is a pretty good 2 guard on a bargain contract and Holiday will never be good/healthy enough to make his contract worth it.
This was mainly a response to CLE trading Kryie for Monroe's expiring contract then somehow turning Monroe into Cousins (Just came up with an example of why CLE wouldn't just use their most valuable asset to get Cousins in the first place while meeting MIL desire for a starting PG). It's more likely a Dellavedova and Hawes expiring contract would be in place of Middleton but then you need to add more players to make that work and frankly that was too much work but probably less than typing this explanation out.

jdstorm

Banned
Holiday is probably outside the top 10 PG but Middleton is definitely outside the top 10 SG or SF. MIL can't get Kyrie with any deal you come up with so it doesn't really make any difference to compare his value over Holiday.

Your deal doesn't make them competitive just poorly managed. You could exile Kyrie to any lotto team that owns their picks just make sure you're receiving something past 2020

CLE goal is to receive a package that makes them competitive next season while also having some fail safe for the future if Lebron bolts. A deal straight up with MIL does neither.

1. Middleton is a 6'8 wing who shoots 40% from 3, had an almost 20% assist rate and has a reputation for being a good defender. Those guys are the most valuable players in the NBA right now. They demand a huge return in any trade because teams want as many as they can get.

2. You couldn't just exile Kyrie to any lottery team because most dont have assets worth taking back, and others wouldn't want Kyrie as it would improve their team too much and hurt their chances at a top 5 pick. Almost no "lottery team" would trade picks from 3 years in the future after Kyrie would likely have bolted and having Kyrie would have prevented them from tanking. That makes no sense.

Sure you could trade Kyrie for Reggie Jackson + Picks, but then you are stuck over the cap on a team without Lebron built around Reggie Jackson and Kevin Love. Is that really any better?

3. Obviously. The Kyrie to Milwaukee for Monroe concept was always about having a replacement player that allowed Cleveland to trade Kevin Love (who hasn't tanked his value by demanding a trade to the Knicks) for a good return.

1. Middleton is a 6'8 wing who shoots 40% from 3, had an almost 20% assist rate and has a reputation for being a good defender. Those guys are the most valuable players in the NBA right now. They demand a huge return in any trade because teams want as many as they can get.
Cousins and Middleton would be insane value for Kryie. If MIL was interested in Holiday they would probably move Delly/Hawes package to fill CLE hole at PG but like I said it makes the trade more complex than worth figuring out

2. You couldn't just exile Kyrie to any lottery team because most dont have assets worth taking back, and others wouldn't want Kyrie as it would improve their team too much and hurt their chances at a top 5 pick. Almost no "lottery team" would trade picks from 3 years in the future after Kyrie would likely have bolted and having Kyrie would have prevented them from tanking. That makes no sense.

Sure you could trade Kyrie for Reggie Jackson + Picks, but then you are stuck over the cap on a team without Lebron built around Reggie Jackson and Kevin Love. Is that really any better?
If someone is going to trade for Irving they are planning to keep him past 2 years. It makes perfect sense to trade picks in a future where you see yourself in the playoffs with Kryie and not in the lotto hoping you can find a Kryie.

From CLE perspective, they only send him to a place like ORL if you're operating under your assumption Lebron is gone.

3. Obviously. The Kyrie to Milwaukee for Monroe concept was always about having a replacement player that allowed Cleveland to trade Kevin Love (who hasn't tanked his value by demanding a trade to the Knicks) for a good return.
How is that obvious? Monroe is an expiring contract not a replacement Actually I'm not even sure what "obviously" is actually referring to here.

jdstorm

Banned
Cousins and Middleton would be insane value for Kryie. If MIL was interested in Holiday they would probably move Delly/Hawes package to fill CLE hole at PG but like I said it makes the trade more complex than worth figuring out

If someone is going to trade for Irving they are planning to keep him past 2 years. It makes perfect sense to trade picks in a future where you see yourself in the playoffs with Kryie and not in the lotto hoping you can find a Kryie.

From CLE perspective, they only send him to a place like ORL if you're operating under your assumption Lebron is gone.

How is that obvious? Monroe is an expiring contract not a replacement Actually I'm not even sure what "obviously" is actually referring to here.

1. Your top trade is flawed and cant be figured out

2. If there is better value where is it? Cleveland has very specific needs

3. Obviously Cleveland need to try and win this year. Also Obviously you don't trade Kyrie without a plan for a replacement PG if you are trying to win.

1. Your top trade is flawed and cant be figured out

2. If there is better value where is it? Cleveland has very specific needs

3. Obviously Cleveland need to try and win this year. Also Obviously you don't trade Kyrie without a plan for a replacement PG if you are trying to win.
1) Doesn't matter anymore it was a mistake to respond to your post

2) Personally, like stated in other posts DEN appears to be the closest compromise you'll find for Lebron, CLE and Irving. But I don't expect a trade, I expect having to deal with an entire year where this is the storyline every CLE game.

3) CLE only needs a PG that can cover other PGs. Delly or Beverly type you don't need and floor general to facilitate offense. It may take another deal to patch the mess they would potentially create.

Watch the KNicks trade Melo, KP and a 2 first rounders for Kyrie
I hope that happens to Kyrie, the franchise he deserves after this stunt

Kickz

Kyrie -Jimmy- Towns trio would be interesting, but I think Thibowolves might screw up their rebuild if they did this trade

20257713_1718480034846827_1412319708_o.jpg

Kyrie -Jimmy- Towns trio would be interesting, but I think Thibowolves might screw up their rebuild if they did this trade

I don't get why Kryie would rather play second fiddle to Towns or Leonard. MIA and NY make since with this vain request but SA and MIN seems odd given the situation.

Not sure what Minny thinks they have with Wiggins, so it's hard to gauge the interest even though if I'm paying the same salary to my starting PG I'll take Irving over Teague.

I don't get why Kryie would rather play second fiddle to Towns or Leonard. MIA and NY make since with this vain request but SA and MIN seems odd given the situation.

Not sure what Minny thinks they have with Wiggins, so it's hard to gauge the interest even though if I'm paying the same salary to my starting PG I'll take Irving over Teague.

If it's a pure vanity play, he'd likely be the most popular player on either team, something he will never be playing with LeBron.

I'm not sure that's all it is though. IN part, sure, but I think it could just be that he and Bron don't get along, not that he necessarily minds playing with other star players.

If it's a pure vanity play, he'd likely be the most popular player on either team, something he will never be playing with LeBron.

I'm not sure that's all it is though. IN part, sure, but I think it could just be that he and Bron don't get along, not that he necessarily minds playing with other star players.
That's probably true and the timing to pull this seems spiteful. Though Chauncey Billups was saying he saw the writing on the wall with this situation when he was being vetted for the GM title.

I'd kind of like to see how IT personality would clash with Lebron. He seems like he's got a big head and sticks his foot in his mouth a lot.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Kyrie is the player Orlando's needed for five years but we blew most of our assets on 50 games of Serge Ibaka and cap space to sign Jeff Green
ymjqOCu.png

TTG

Could Kyrie make the Spurs cool? I know it seems impossible, but what if he hits Paul and Harden with that Uncle Drew in the playoffs?

Could Kyrie make the Spurs cool? I know it seems impossible, but what if he hits Paul and Harden with that Uncle Drew in the playoffs?
Spurs were cool when Leonard and Simmons were pulling off some of their dunks last year. Now there is only Leonard. :(

FZZ

Banned
It's AAU basketball but if you have nothing to watch at around 8:55pm PST

Zion Williamson vs. LaMelo Ball is gonna go down

Kinda expecting LaMelo to get blown out since Zion is a year his senior and Big Ballers probably don't have the talent that Zion is surrounded by

But should be an interesting game to watch regardless

Surprised at how many people are talking about an AAU game tbh

People overrate Kyrie big-time. Just because you are possibly the best ISO player does not mean your the best player. He wouldnt win anything as the best player on a team since he has marginal impact other than scoring.

If Irving was a Warriors player instead of Curry, I'm still comfortable they win it fairly easy.

Brandson

A few Irving trades I can see, probably with some picks involved as well:

to Phoenix for Bledsoe and Derrick Jones Jr.

to Milwaukee for Dellavedova and Henson

to Chicago with Shumpert for Wade and Grant

Trade machine says each of these work, if it can be relied upon.

Top Bottom