• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

jbug617

Banned
From Chris Mannix
DCnfUvRXUAEGNgW.jpg

If the Celtics keep the pick Isaac is the only one who makes any sense, his shot blocking, defensive switching ability, great rebounding, and decent spot up next to horford is a perfect fit + Jackson is trash.

Slizeezyc

All the negatives you mention are indeed that but in this new NBA tweeners are becoming a positive. Draymond Green makes that defense lethal because he's a tweener.

That's not how Draymond works as a tweener (he's not really one), so maybe you're just kidding?

Draymond is not a tweener in that he can play center/forward because his wingspan is absurd and he still protects the rim but gives you offensive upside and defensive mobility that is otherwise abnormal for that spot. You don't take tweeners because they're actually awkward like he's implying Tatum is. It's a similar concept to small ball as a whole. You want big guys who can do everything, but generally smaller guys are more likely to be able to do that than bigs, which leads to why Draymond is so valuable etc.

I personally like Tatum more than Jackson (but less than Isaac), but being a "tweener" is generally not a good thing.

Gigglepoo

The guy couldn't win in college, really makes you think.

Call me crazy but doesn't that have to matter? At least a little? As someone who doesn't watch college ball, it's strange that back-to-back first picks couldn't even make the tourney. Not dire but at least a red flag?

LionPride

Banned
Call me crazy but doesn't that have to matter? At least a little? As someone who doesn't watch college ball, it's strange that back-to-back first picks couldn't even make the tourney. Not dire but at least a red flag?
LSU shoulda been better and got an NIT invite. You could tell Simmons just stopped caring and wanted to get to the draft.

Washington...they were fucking awful outside of Fultz and he STILL had a better assist rate than Ball. And then his ass got hurt. It ain't a red flag that a team with nothing besides Fultz couldn't win.

Slizeezyc

LSU shoulda been better and got an NIT invite. You could tell Simmons just stopped caring and wanted to get to the draft.

Washington...they were fucking awful outside of Fultz and he STILL had a better assist rate than Ball. And then his ass got hurt. It ain't a red flag that a team with nothing besides Fultz couldn't win.

Yeah, Fultz had one of the worst supporting casts ever for a top pick, and that's not hyperbole. No one was saving that UW team.

LSU could have been slightly better, agreed.

Either way, no losing in college doesn't worry me.

Gigglepoo

"Team wasn't talented enough" never seems like a strong case for missing the tournament. Heck, if Curry could get in and win a game or two at Davison with a bunch of scrubs, any elite prospect should.

Again, missing isn't everything but it is crazy that neither Fultz nor Simmons could crack the top 68.

LionPride

Banned
"Team wasn't talented enough" never seems like a strong case for missing the tournament. Heck, if Curry could get in and win a game or two at Davison with a bunch of scrubs, any elite prospect should.

Again, missing isn't everything but it is crazy that neither Fultz nor Simmons could crack the top 68.
Davidson also didn't play actual schools in conference

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
That's not how Draymond works as a tweener (he's not really one), so maybe you're just kidding?

Draymond is not a tweener in that he can play center/forward because his wingspan is absurd and he still protects the rim but gives you offensive upside and defensive mobility that is otherwise abnormal for that spot. You don't take tweeners because they're actually awkward like he's implying Tatum is. It's a similar concept to small ball as a whole. You want big guys who can do everything, but generally smaller guys are more likely to be able to do that than bigs, which leads to why Draymond is so valuable etc.

I personally like Tatum more than Jackson (but less than Isaac), but being a "tweener" is generally not a good thing.
That makes sense. I was going strictly from a height standpoint.

FZZ

Banned
Because Fultz & Simmons are gonna be on the same team

Lonzo has a good shot of getting ROTY especially if our record improves a good amount

let's go Zo

Cornbread78

I'm trying to convince myself he's better because I'm sick of these idiotic brick laying players Ainge keeps drafting and Josh Jackson's measurable don't impress me.

Can he shoot from outside though?

It they do draft him, I guess that means Hayward is out. Ibaka or Griffen then?

Besides, Duke got knocked out early, which proves he sucks..

All the negatives you mention are indeed that but in this new NBA tweeners are becoming a positive. Draymond Green makes that defense lethal because he's a tweener.

But Draymond is an explosive athlete, Tatum is a tweener in the classic sense that he's not fast enough to cover 3s nor long enough to cover 4s. Maybe he'll surprise me and be the next Carmelo, but I wouldn't want to take that bet.

Miracle

Celtics now projected to draft Tatum.

For whatever it's worth Celtics fans, I actually like Tatum a lot better than Jackson. Josh Jackson has 6'8 Marcus Smart written all over him, and the Celtics have a bunch of athletic defenders who can't shoot already.

jbug617

Banned
If PG13 says he is going to the Lakers, would that mean the Lakers would take a guard instead of a forward? Maybe move down to 4 or 5 and grab Fox

Jarate

Banned
I don't think it's a guarantee that George comes to the Lakers since the Lakers have always been the ultimate bargaining chip. Also, Don't be surprised if Lebron and George might be trying to orchestrate something.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I don't want any players who can't shoot. So no on Fox. The only answer in this draft is Lanzo. He is BPA and fills a need. No-brainer. It is law.

I need to see this in 2018:

Lonzo
Russ
BI
PG13
Nance

That squad, at the very least, is going to be fun to watch.
on offense

Jarate

Banned
Im still not sure a Lonzo/Russel back court can work at all. That's gotta be one of the worst back courts defensively in the league.

Miracle

Exactly

Magic BETTER NOT FUCKING DRAFT JJ IF WE ARE GETTING PG NEXT YEAR

seriously don't be an idiot Magic

:(

Lol you're worrying about nothing my man. We've been locked in on Ball since the lottery. Everything else is classic smokescreen.

The only thing I'm concerned about is Randle. He is clearly the odd man out here due to his weaknesses being what is essential in today's NBA (and quite frankly, for this team). If he can improve his jump shot and be smarter on defense, he would be a big help as a small ball center.

As far as this draft goes, It's definitely Ball and it's not even close. The smokescreens for JJ and Fox have been laughable.

Tall4Life

I am totally ready to take a chance on Lonzo now. Paul Pierce was a diehard Lakers fan before he was drafted by us too, and now look where he is, he's unarguably the greatest to ever play the game and, thus, also the greatest Celtic ever.

BBBelieve that.

jbug617

Banned
If I'm the Celtics, I would gamble on a trade for George (if the price is right). Make a playoff run and hope it would be enough to convince him to stay in Boston.

FZZ

Banned
Im still not sure a Lonzo/Russel back court can work at all. That's gotta be one of the worst back courts defensively in the league.

Lonzo is not that bad on defense, he's just slow laterally

Dlo puts in no effort :/

but I think we should at least be better than Portland

Tall4Life

If I'm the Celtics, I would gamble on a trade for George (if the price is right). Make a playoff run and hope it would be enough to convince him to stay in Boston.
He sounds like too much of a stan for the Lakers and I'm not willing to throw away draft picks for a risk like that.

Top Bottom