• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Sandfox

Im still not sure a Lonzo/Russel back court can work at all. That's gotta be one of the worst back courts defensively in the league.
It's obviously not a strength, but I would say both underrated defensively with room to improve. I would have have Lonzo guard the SG though.

If I'm the Celtics, I would gamble on a trade for George (if the price is right). Make a playoff run and hope it would be enough to convince him to stay in Boston.

Gtfo
Better be for 1 pick and maybe Zeller, the pick would be a late second round
George is gone, he's not gonna stay in Boston

Bird was a dummy to not trade him last season, could have easily tanked after the all star break

Lol you're worrying about nothing my man. We've been locked in on Ball since the lottery. Everything else is classic smokescreen.

The only thing I'm concerned about is Randle. He is clearly the odd man out here due to his weaknesses being what is essential in today's NBA (and quite frankly, for this team). If he can improve his jump shot and be smarter on defense, he would be a big help as a small ball center.

As far as this draft goes, It's definitely Ball and it's not even close. The smokescreens for JJ and Fox have been laughable.

Excited for Randle in the next season. "Fat" randle was a bull in the transition and post and now he looks like a machine!
screenshot.226.0.jpg

Miracle

Im still not sure a Lonzo/Russel back court can work at all. That's gotta be one of the worst back courts defensively in the league.

They're both tall and long, with DLO getting BIG (seriously have you seen his workout pics lately? He could beat the crap out of the majority of PGs now lol) and Lonzo being a good defender against shooting guards especially.

Cranjis McBasketball‏ @T1m_NBA 3h3 hours ago
Cranjis McBasketball Retweeted HoopsHabit
1. Every report says teams aren't concerned about LaVar

2. He's a good defender. Him being bad on D is such a misconception.

Replying to @T1m_NBA
88th %ile overall in man D
75th %ile off screen D
88th %ile spot up D
68th %ile defending PnR and UCLAs best PnR defender by PPP

Replying to @T1m_NBA
87th %ile defending drives
74th mid range D
69th %ile from 3 D

Cranjis McBasketball‏ @T1m_NBA 2h2 hours ago
Replying to @T1m_NBA
His defensive ability is even less of a concern to me if he'll be guarding 2s and DLo 1s. His off ball defense is excellent

Moving on to offense, Ball and DLO is a dream on paper. Both players that can move really well on and off the ball in transition, Ball being great moving the ball on the fast break while DLO can more than handle his own on the half court. They work each other off very well.

The fact that these two can both play off ball very own as shooters as well is huge and why I am so excited for this Lakers team next season.

charsace

But Draymond is an explosive athlete, Tatum is a tweener in the classic sense that he's not fast enough to cover 3s nor long enough to cover 4s. Maybe he'll surprise me and be the next Carmelo, but I wouldn't want to take that bet.
He looks like current old Carmelo sure. He looks nothing like young Carmelo who was similar to a young Barkley. Tatum is a twig.

Carmelo was an elite athlete when he was coming into the league. 6'8, 240lbs with a 7'0 wingspan and with an elite first step. He also got off the floor quickly and ran the floor well. Carmelo could play either forward spot and would have excelled. Tatum is the bad type of tweener that usually fails. I hope he proves me wrong and shows that he's a 3.

Cornbread78

I don't want any players who can't shoot. So no on Fox. The only answer in this draft is Lanzo. He is BPA and fills a need. No-brainer. It is law.

I need to see this in 2018:

Lonzo
Russ
BI
PG13
Nance

That squad, at the very least, is going to be fun to watch.
on offense

You're forgetting Lebron is going with George to LA after next season...

damn now that I think about it Hinkie was creating the Warriors before the Warriors.

Trust the process.
NBA caught on and sabotaged him before he could have changed the game forever.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Offensively? I think it works perfectly. They compliment each others game very well.

Defensively? It's gonna be bad. Both of them have the right physical tools to be capable defenders on paper, but I don't believe either one will put in the effort. Especially at this stage in their careers.

But screw it. At least it will be fun watching them boys go get buckets. The first few months of Laker-ball was fun to watch last season before the injuries set in. I see no reason why they won't be even more fun to watch with added talent and more development.

They project to be pretty bad defensively but what can you do? Most draft picks have warts you are going to have to work through. It's not like by drafting Zo they are absolutely locked into a Zo/DLo backcourt forever. Hell he Blazers are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a terrible defensive backcourt.

Sandfox

Is Pierce a fair comparison for Tatum upside?

Statistically he compares favorably to Pierce, Hayward, and Joe Johnson when they were in college.

They project to be pretty bad defensively but what can you do? Most draft picks have warts you are going to have to work through. It's not like by drafting Zo they are absolutely locked into a Zo/DLo backcourt forever. Hell he Blazers are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a terrible defensive backcourt.

Defense is more of a later consideration when building a team. The Warriors for example didn't draft Curry or Thompson to be defenders, but they saw improvement and then later added defensive pieces around them. Also, remember that we we've seen a Kyrie Irving/JR Smith backcourt make it to the finals three years in a row.

Kickz

Lonzo is not that bad on defense, he's just slow laterally

Dlo puts in no effort :/

but I think we should at least be better than Portland

Not sure you can compare two allstars in CJ and Dame to Dlo and whatever rookie

Join us as we get Johnathan Issac or trade down and take OG

Thibs is gonna go Monk fosho

Boogs31

Oh for crying out loud, they don't desperately need a point guard. Even with the questionable defense, IT was still a very productive player (near MVP levels) last year and should continue to be so for at least 3-4 years. After that time? Yeah, they could use another PG, but you don't take one so early for the purpose of replacing a star. You take a guy that could play with your star (and I think Fultz could to be honest).

IT gets really underrated around here. Yeah he's short and that makes him a limited defender, but Kyrie is also pretty much an equally shit defender and you don't hear people saying the Cavs should trade him.

Saying IT is going to be as good as he was this year for the next three or four years is extremely debatable. Especially considering he's coming off a serious injury. He's going to be a free agent after next season and he'll be 29 and a half by the time the Celtics would be forced to give him a 5 year max contract. They had the perfect opportunity to develop his successor while still competing next year (assuming they get Hayward). Now, the Celtics have locked themselves into a point guard that will be taking up 30% of the salary cap, is a huge liability defensively, and will decline enormously even if he loses an ounce of his athleticism.

He's 5"7 and Kyrie is 6"2. Kyrie is not a good defender but you can hide a guy Kyrie's size better than you can Thomas.

FZZ

Banned
Saying IT is going to be as good as he was this year for the next three or four years is extremely debatable. Especially considering he's coming off a serious injury. He's going to be a free agent after next season and he'll be 29 and a half by the time the Celtics would be forced to give him a 5 year max contract. They had the perfect opportunity to develop his successor while still competing next year (assuming they get Hayward). Now, the Celtics have locked themselves into a point guard that will be taking up 30% of the salary cap, is a huge liability defensively, and will decline enormously even if he loses an ounce of his athleticism.

He's 5"7 and Kyrie is 6"2. Kyrie is not a good defender but you can hide a guy Kyrie's size better than you can Thomas.

Why are people always making IT shorter than he actually is

dude is 5'9 and Kyrie is like 6'0

lmao chill

Bread

Banned
If I'm Danny I take that Kings offer for 5+10

They trade up to get Fox, Suns take one of Jackson/Tatum/Isaac, and you have your choice of the remainder plus the 10th pick for someone who drops. Trader Danny always makes shit interesting.

Boogs31

Given all the protections in place, I am surprised the 76ers pulled this off.

Embiid / Simmons / Fultz / Saric is pretty cool*

* assuming they can stay on the court.

Only time will tell if Danny's 4D chess actually worked, but I think the 76ers should be pretty happy with what they had to give up to take a shot on Fultz. Trust the Process.

Don't forget about Covington too. He's a really solid 3 and D role player that is still relatively young. They have a core of five players now that should be really good. They need to add a couple shooters and obviously get healthy and develop but that's about it.

Kickz

Defensively? Lillard and CJ are garbage. They aren't all stars for their defense.

I am talking the complete package so offense to, they are prolific scorers and its disingenuous to compare Dlo/Rookie to them right off the bat. Really just setting yourself up for disappointment

And undersized SG who isn't good enough of a ballhandler and passer to play PG but is a great shooter? No siree

Good shooting is always valuable in this league tho

Boogs31

Why are people always making IT shorter than he actually is

dude is 5'9 and Kyrie is like 6'0

lmao chill

Teams exaggerate players heights all the time. Its not a new development. And even if I agreed with the heights you just mentioned (which I don't), three inches is still a big difference.

FZZ

Banned
I am talking the complete package so offense to, they are prolific scorers and its disingenuous to compare Dlo/Rookie to them right off the bat. Really just setting yourself up for disappointment

Good shooting is always valuable in this league tho

I was only comparing them defensively

I responded to Jarate who was talking about defense

I don't think they will be CJ/Dame level as a whole their first season

but you never know with Zo tbh

Miracle

What's with the people going "player A is like *this height* and player B is like *this height*.

Come on guys, All it takes is a simple google search. Kyrie is 6'3. IT is 5'9. No "Kyrie is like 6'0" or some shit jeez.

FZZ

Banned
You can't spell Boston without "BIG BALLER BRAND".

It was meant to be.

Y'all are getting tatum

What's with the people going "player A is like *this height* and player B is like *this height*.

Come on guys, All it takes is a simple google search. Kyrie is 6'3. IT is 5'9. No "Kyrie is like 6'0" or some shit jeez.

Wait I am 100% sure Kyrie is shorter than 6'3 Steph by like a few inches

either that or Kyrie has shit posture

Boogs31

PGs grow on trees, that's the last position they should be worried about in this era of the NBA.

While I agree it's the deepest position, it's not as if getting a top 10 point guard is super easy. Most of the best teams in the league have an elite point guard.

Golden State
Cleveland
LAC
Boston
Washington
Toronto
OKC

Houston too if you consider Harden a point guard.

The only exceptions would be San Antonio and Utah.

If Boston just loses IT for nothing and tries to replace him with a league average point guard, that would be a big step backwards.

Cornbread78

The question is if Boston does draft Tatum and keeps him, do they still go after Hayward and split minutes with Brown and Tatum at the 2/3, or do they move on and try to lock up a big like Griffen? Ibaka wouldn't be bad, but he wasn't as dynamic with Orlando and Toronto last season...

FZZ

Banned
If Magic is a god

offset Clarkson, Randle, 28th, and Deng and get us PG13 a season early

these contracts are fucking up our cap so much

Worry about Mosgov next season, and try to land Bron

Lonzo, Dlo, BI, PG, Bron death lineup

What teams have a top 10 PG?

GS
LAC
CLE
OKC
TOR
MEM
POR
WAS
HOU if you count Harden
CHA/BOS

That's it right?

If we land Zo we gonna have top 1 PG in the league breh

If Magic is a god

offset Clarkson, Randle, 28th, and Deng and get us PG13 a season early

these contracts are fucking up our cap so much

Worry about Mosgov next season, and try to land Bron

Lonzo, Dlo, BI, PG, Bron death lineup

If we land Zo we gonna have top 1 PG in the league breh

I'd trade #2, Deng and Mosgov for whoever wanted #2 (try the Kings first for 5 & 10)

But that's me.

Bread

Banned
If Boston just loses IT for nothing and tries to replace him with a league average point guard, that would be a big step backwards.
I doubt anyone is giving up value for a rental of IT and no contender would want him on a max in his early 30s. Get one more year out of him then see what the market says.

Maxing him because you're afraid to let him go without getting anything in return is a panic move that doesn't fit what Danny has been doing for the past 5 years.

effzee

Pacers have to move PG now don't they? I wonder where or what they can get in return. Cavs have no assets that Pacers would realistically want.

Where is Blake rumored to go as of now?

Top Bottom