• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

spyder_ur

Why would Ainge give that up for 1 season of PG13, when he could lock up Butler for three with a good contract?

Paul George is a better player (most notably a better shooter which is crucial for the Celtics offense) and that cost control for Butler is baked into the price, surely.

I have no problem giving up assets for George, I've always preferred him to Butler even given the recent contract situation. I think that after a year here of success he won't be so keen on leaving for a very underwhelming Lakers roster.

Cornbread78

PG fits the Celtics better than Butler. Butler is guaranteed more years. I'd probably do either for Lakers/Kings pick. They still have Nets farm league. No risk no reward. Boogie went for nothing.

PG is definitely the better player, but it's not worth the rental, unless they only give up their own pick next year and sone of the gazillion 2nds they have.

TTG

One, offseason speculation is already churning full speed, whatever happened to taking time off?

Two, it's Love and that's it, you don't get any picks. The Pacers are crazy if they think they're getting anything better.

One, the offseason speculation is already churning full speed, whatever happened to taking time off?

Two, it's Love and that's it, you don't get any picks. The Pacers are crazy if they think they're getting anything better.

They can definitely do better than Love.

Tom Penny

PG is definitely the better player, but it's not worth the rental, unless they only give up their own pick next year and sone of the gazillion 2nds they have.

I don't think it's that simple. Let's say you think you have a 50% chance of PG resigning for basically his prime. You kind of have to do it. No draft pick is giving you a 50% chance at a top 15 player in his prime. It's risky for sure. No doubt about it. They have to access that that's why they get paid.

Slizeezyc

I imagine this is all just to fuck with the Lakers enough to make them actually give up somewhat fair value. I don't want PG going to some contender and then falling in love with that place if I'm Magic and Rob Lowe.

spyder_ur

I don't think it's that simple. Let's say you think you have a 50% chance of PG resigning for basically his prime. You kind of have to do it. No draft pick is giving you a 50% chance at a top 15 player in his prime. It's risky for sure. No doubt about it. They have to access that that's why they get paid.

I totally agree, and I put the chances at better than 50/50. I never buy the 'this guy is definitely going here in FA next season' stuff.

What sounds right for George? Next year's Brooklyn pick, LA/Sac pick, Crowder and parts (Rozier/Zizic/Yabu) sounds about right to me.

The order of these events (George's comments about Indy, the trade, and now this buzz) makes alot of sense to me and was part of the reason I wasn't overreacting to the trade.

jbug617

Banned
I totally agree, and I put the chances at better than 50/50. I never buy the 'this guy is definitely going here in FA next season' stuff.

What sounds right for George? Next year's Brooklyn pick, LA/Sac pick, Crowder and parts (Rozier/Zizic/Yabu) sounds about right to me.

It would have to be Boston 18, Lakers/Kings pick and Crowder.

Sandfox

Michael Eaves‏ @michaeleaves 3h3 hours ago
Received some surprising info on Markelle Fultz and the #Celtics today. Some within the organization were not impressed with his workout.
This fits what we've heard.

Tom Penny

I would not give up the Nets and Lakers Pick because frankly if they don't get the Lakers picks..unless some serious bullshit happens Kings are handing us a top 10 pick because they are the Kings. Crowder, Lakers pick filler. Who would they even be bidding against? Love an a horrendous draft pick?

Honestly I wanted Fultz. I think if you don't draft a guy off of a workout you're an idiot. You have years of film. It think it's safer to say the Celtics think like 4 or 5 guys are similar so they are comfortable with taking the remainder. I don't really agree with that personally.

Sandfox

But it's just a workout

the tape is much more valuable

Anthony Bennet and Darko had great workouts which is why they got picked so high

workouts shouldn't mean shit

Yeah, workouts are low on the list. I just find it was interesting that both that workout and the SIxers one were bad.

Miracle

Michael Eaves @michaeleaves
·
Received some surprising info on Markelle Fultz and the #Celtics today. Some within the organization were not impressed with his workout.

This, along with that released Fultz's Sixers workout video, Celtics might have been on to something.

If Fultz really does come to the NBA as a very raw player, Celtics would make it out like bandits.

spyder_ur

I would not give up the Nets and Lakers Pick because frankly if they don't get the Lakers picks..unless some serious bullshit happens Kings are handing us a top 10 pick because they are the Kings. Crowder, Lakers pick filler. Who would they even be bidding against? Love an a horrendous draft pick?

I mean, plenty of teams would make offers. I can't see any way Cleveland gets him and if so the league should be shut down. I really don't understand what they'd have to offer.

My theory is that Danny partially traded the #1 pick to split the asset and give up a part in a deal, and I said as much a couple days ago. I'd love if the rumors are true about Indy wanting proven players. If so - Bradley, Crowder and a premier pick (#3, Brooklyn next year, Lakers/Sac) plus filler - there you go.

Knowing Boston I'm surprised they didn't leak out that Markelle is addicted to pain killers.

Shaughnessy is writing the article as we speak

This, along with that released Fultz's Sixers workout video, Celtics might have been on to something.

If Fultz really does come to the NBA as a very raw player, Celtics would make it out like bandits.

He's a rookie, of course he would be raw. You draft him because of what he'll be in a few years not what he is right now.

Tom Penny

I mean, plenty of teams would make offers. I can't see any way Cleveland gets him and if so the league should be shut down. I really don't understand what they'd have to offer.

My theory is that Danny partially traded the #1 pick to split the asset and give up a part in a deal, and I said as much a couple days ago. I'd love if the rumors are true about Indy wanting proven players. If so - Bradley, Crowder and a premier pick (#3, Brooklyn next year, Lakers/Sac) plus filler - there you go.

Shaughnessy is writing the article as we speak

What teams can offer more than a player a a damn near guaranteed top 10 pick barring the Kings suddenly becoming good?

spyder_ur

What teams can offer more than a player a a damn near guaranteed top 10 pick barring the Kings suddenly becoming good?

I don't think anyone can offer more than the Celtics. But Phoenix (Bledsoe, Chriss/Bender, future pick), Lakers, Minny, Orlando could all make reasonable offers. Depending on what the Pacers are looking for and what those teams have in mind.

I can understand why the Pacers didn't deal George at the deadline, but they messed up bad.

Tom Penny

Pacers have no leverage..seriously.

The Kings confirmed Monday that they traded Cousins and Omri Casspi to the Pelicans for Buddy Hield, Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway and its 2017 first-round and second-round pick to Sacramento.

That ain't shit...

I don't think anyone can offer more than the Celtics. But Phoenix (Bledsoe, Chriss/Bender, future pick), Lakers, Minny, Orlando. Depending on what the Pacers are looking for and what those teams have in mind.

Phoenix is an interesting option but that seems like a big risk for them.

Gigglepoo

How does Love even help Indy? They wouldn't make the playoffs with him and he's be gone by the time they're relevant again.

Slizeezyc

Knowing Boston I'm surprised they didn't leak out that Markelle is addicted to pain killers.

First off, this is classic Ainge after the fact garbage for any transaction or transaction that doesn't end up happening. It's what he always does, and a he's a real MFer for always doing it.

Secondly, taking any big things away from a 3-minute workout you watch as confirmation of the Celtics saying the same thing thus being true and a reason not to take someone is a bad take.

So crazy that Indiana traded George to the Jazz for Rodney Hood and the Jazz 1st round pick and PG immediately signed a 5 year extension.

And then Hayward announced he'd be staying in Utah.

Wow.

random25

It's just sad that PG resorted to announce this before the Pacers can do moves. Now, he basically devalued any possible trades for him.

Dunno what you can get for a 1yr rental.

Servbot24

Banned
It's just sad that PG resorted to announce this before the Pacers can do moves. Now, he basically devalued any possible trades for him.

I guess the best options would be Cavs in win now mode, or maybe the Lakers would find value in an extra year of integration... Pacers still fucked though

It was nice of Colangelo to celebrate Father's Day by becoming Ainge's daddy.

Still a long way to go before we know who won this trade or if one side even came out on top.

PG has been practically screaming that he plans to leave for years. If the Pacers were too stupid to trade him while his value was higher that's on them.

Paul George is a better player (most notably a better shooter which is crucial for the Celtics offense) and that cost control for Butler is baked into the price, surely.

I have no problem giving up assets for George, I've always preferred him to Butler even given the recent contract situation. I think that after a year here of success he won't be so keen on leaving for a very underwhelming Lakers roster.

Last season, Butler was 7th in Real plus/minus while George was 37th. Butler also has a higher career PER despite being buried at the end of the bench his first couple years.

VeeP

Pacer's literally fucked themselves. It's been known he wants to leave to the Lakers for at least a year now.

What number will Paul George wear when he comes to the Lakers? 13 is retired for Wilt. 24 is Kobe's. 23 will be saved for LeBron. Maybe he can take 17 and change his nickname to NC-17.

random25

I guess the best options would be Cavs in win now mode, or maybe the Lakers would find value in an extra year of integration... Pacers still fucked though

I mean for the Pacers. Teams surely aren't willing to trade valuable assets for a 1yr rental, unless it's the Cavs, and the Cavs surely aren't trading Kyrie.

PG has been practically screaming that he plans to leave for years. If the Pacers were too stupid to trade him while his value was higher that's on them.

For all we know the last trading deadline a lot of teams are lowballing the Pacers anyway. I just wished the uncertainty before pressured the Lakers into making moves for him. Now, they are just basically waiting for the dude to come over.

gutshot

Still a long way to go before we know who won this trade or if one side even came out on top.

Let us Sixers fans have this moment

my hopes for this off season for at least a halfway exciting main season would be

Butler gets traded to the Celtics....bulls get #3 pick, lakers pass Lonzo grab JJ and bulls get Lonzo.

Boston Receives butler AND signs hayward in the off season. Butlers contract is very friendly.....this should help Celtics sign more on Hayward.

Paul George gets traded somehow to cleveland for 1 year and we see the big 3 we wanted to see when kevin love was there(he would be traded)....instead now its irving, james and george. Lebron moves to the 4....beefs and becomes the post king god due to him aging.

Chris Paul signs with the Spurs

Miami picks up Blake Griffin

my dream hopes for this offseason:

The Pacers trade Paul George to the Lakers for Nick Young and a 2037 2nd round draft pick.

The Celtics are contracted.

Fuck Paul Pierce.

Top Bottom