• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I like Tatum a lot, and I could see him being a really nice stretch 4 if he filled out.

Jackson's highlights are also insane while his shot is busted he has a nice touch around the basket so I could see him improving.

Jacksons size, hands, and wingspan are a serious problem. Tatum I don't really know... his athleticism is a real problem as well.

Hopefully the lakers still suck.

Tom Penny

Jacksons size, hands, and wingspan are a serious problem. Tatum I don't really know... his athleticism is a real problem as well.

Hopefully the lakers still suck.
Seconded. JJ's measurables aren't great and broken jumper great athlete. Tatum average athleticism good size more skill on offense. Fuck the Lakers.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Seconded. JJ's measurables aren't great and broken jumper great athlete. Tatum average athleticism good size more skill on offense. Fuck the Lakers.

I think I"m leaning tatum overall. Jacksons athleticism is tantalizing... but who cares? His shot needs to be entirely rebuilt, and his wingspan will never change. Not to mention he's over a year older than tatum.

Boogs31

I like Tatum a lot, and I could see him being a really nice stretch 4 if he filled out.

Jackson's highlights are also insane while his shot is busted he has a nice touch around the basket so I could see him improving.

I don't like either of them for different reasons. Tatum because he's not going to be good defensively in the NBA. He's not quick enough to defend wings or guards and he's not big enough to deal with centers or stronger forwards. Offensively he has good footwork and a decent touch, but he's not such a great shooter that you can forecast him as being a knockdown guy with the longer three point line. Maybe he does and becomes a really good offensive player, but even then he's still a one way player.

Jackson to me is more likely to struggle offensively. He has a broken shot that will take a ton of improvement before he's even remotely respected from the NBA three point line. He's a good passer and athlete but his off the bounce game isn't super developed either. Defensively he will at least be solid. He's a good athlete and a smart player with okay size. I still think he has too small of a frame to be a great defender against the leagues elite wings.

Trading Fultz to get one of these guys is a terrible mistake.

Tom Penny

I think I"m leaning tatum overall. Jacksons athleticism is tantalizing... but who cares? His shot needs to be entirely rebuilt, and his wingspan will never change. Not to mention he's over a year older than tatum.
I'm defaulting to him because I'm sick of Ainge drafting guys who can't score. Watch Ainge draft Dennis Smith Jr lol

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't like either of them for different reasons. Tatum because he's not going to be good defensively in the NBA. He's not quick enough to defend wings or guards and he's not big enough to deal with centers or stronger forwards. Offensively he has good footwork and a decent touch, but he's not such a great shooter that you can forecast him as being a knockdown guy with the longer three point line. Maybe he does and becomes a really good offensive player, but even then he's still a one way player.

Jackson to me is more likely to struggle offensively. He has a broken shot that will take a ton of improvement before he's even remotely respected from the NBA three point line. He's a good passer and athlete but his off the bounce game isn't super developed either. Defensively he will at least be solid. He's a good athlete and a smart player with okay size. I still think he has too small of a frame to be a great defender against the leagues elite wings.

Trading Fultz to get one of these guys is a terrible mistake.

I don't know that they traded to get one of these guys. Obviously he sees the gap as less significant, which he's more than likely wrong about, but he likely prefers next years talent or the year after. Next years top 5 really is ridiculously loaded and I know we say that every year, but 2 super impressive bigs, and luka and porter. Usually every year you'll have some surprises sneak in as well, so we'll see.

Nafai1123

Banned
I like this about Jackson. Sounds kinda like Dray.

Nevertheless, it is Jackson's defense and overall competitiveness that is one of his most attractive traits. He's a fiery guy who has been a two-way player his entire career, and showed the ability to guard anywhere from 1-4 in college. Jackson takes great pride in his ability to shut down opponents, and does an outstanding job of sitting down in a stance, sliding his feet and locking up players on the perimeter with his lateral quickness, often drawing charges. He's a physical player who throws his body around and isn't afraid to mix things up despite his lanky frame. Even if he isn't the longest player around, he gets in the passing lanes frequently with his quickness and anticipation skills, and also rebounds and blocks shots prolifically with outstanding timing. He'll need to get stronger to handle the bigger and more experienced players he'll encounter at times in the NBA, and is a little spastic at times gambling and getting lost off the ball, but his combination of intensity, athleticism and instincts leaves a great deal of room for optimism in his upside on this end of the floor. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-Jackson-7239/ ©DraftExpress

Boogs31

I don't know that they traded to get one of these guys. Obviously he sees the gap as less significant, which he's more than likely wrong about, but he likely prefers next years talent or the year after. Next years top 5 really is ridiculously loaded and I know we say that every year, but 2 super impressive bigs, and luka and porter. Usually every year you'll have some surprises sneak in as well, so we'll see.

I get the idea of liking next year's draft better than what we have this year. But who knows if they even get the pick next year. If the Lakers improve they may be a threat to be lower than 5 in next year's draft (they have no incentive to tank). Or they could win the lottery and the Celtics still don't get it. Then Boston doesn't get any of those guys you just mentioned.

Danny Ainge keeps rolling the dice and so far it's worked. But eventually his luck will run out.

Fultz to me is the only can't miss prospect in this draft.
He's going to come into the league day 1 as a good scorer. And despite his lack of defensive effort in college he has all the defensive tools (size, athleticism) to be a solid player on that end as well.

I can understand Ainge's logic. He views someone other than Fultz or Ball at #1 and he figure he can score another high pick for dropping down. Which is fine, but if Fultz hits his ceiling, you're sending a top level player within the division to play the lottery again. I hope he's right, but I don't like the call.

Cornbread78

I get the idea of liking next year's draft better than what we have this year. But who knows if they even get the pick next year. If the Lakers improve they may be a threat to be lower than 5 in next year's draft (they have no incentive to tank). Or they could win the lottery and the Celtics still don't get it. Then Boston doesn't get any of those guys you just mentioned.

Danny Ainge keeps rolling the dice and so far it's worked. But eventually his luck will run out.

Fultz to me is the only can't miss prospect in this draft.
He's going to come into the league day 1 as a good scorer. And despite his lack of defensive effort in college he has all the defensive tools (size, athleticism) to be a solid player on that end as well.

Problem is that it hasn't really worked yet. He has yet to draft a franchise player or even an all-star level player....

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
My worry is JJ is Kidd Gilchrist and Tatum is a lesser Rudy Gay.

Feel similar in MKG, although MKG has better measurables in terms of size. Jackson has more versatility already on offense, but both of them needed a recreation of the shot form.

Feel somewhat simlar about rudy, but I think tatum is more skilled, just not as athletic.

Boogs31

Problem is that it hasn't really worked yet. He has yet to draft a franchise player or even an all-star level player....

Well not trading this years Brooklyn pick even when it was still just a 25% chance of becoming the number 1 pick was a gamble that paid off. I think Jaylen Brown was a solid pick last year.

But you're right, it's still very much up in the air whether all this asset gathering is going to eventually lead to a championship.

Boogs31

Celtics are supposedly looking to trade down for the Kings 5th and 10th picks but the Kings want a player back in return LOL

I wouldn't make that trade if I were the Kings. They need players to build around. Getting 1 instead of 2 is not the strategy they should be employing. Especially considering I don't think the guy they can get at 3 is much better at all than who they can get at 5.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I wouldn't make that trade if I were the Kings. They need players to build around. Getting 1 instead of 2 is not the strategy they should be employing. Especially considering I don't think the guy you can get at 3 is much better at all than who you can get at 5.

it's the kings

https://www.reddit.com/r/sixers/com..._their_logo_thoughts/?st=j44etjpj&sh=e3e9aed4

w879yw5gpl4z.jpg

Its amazing how smug the Philly fanbase is today... maybe they should wait until the team doesn't suck before they start gloating?

Sixers fans had a hard life.

LeVar should just start legally adopting yutes to pick up the slack of his his younger spawn.

It's what's best for brand.

That's what Delonte West tried to do but he died for our sins. The Lebron to the Lakers speculation can't be just a coincidence.

Sandfox

Hotshot UCLA point guard Lonzo Ball desperately wants to be drafted by his hometown team, and the Lakers are nearing a final decision to select him with the No. 2 overall pick, according to league sources.

Some final planning and discussion remains to be done before the draft Thursday, per team sources, but Ball logged quality time with Lakers president Magic Johnson and general manager Rob Pelinka in a second predraft meeting Friday.

The Lakers, especially Pelinka, have tried to keep an open mind throughout workouts and interviews to settle on the best player available to them. But an appreciation for Ball's all-around upside has emerged that transcends the local fanfare over him and the constant publicity his father generates. And while athletic Kansas forward Josh Jackson remains a possibility at No. 2, his shooting ability is a concern.

The Lakers' suspicion that Ball might wind up being better than presumptive No. 1 overall pick Markelle Fultz—and perhaps the Boston Celtics' suspicion that Jackson or Duke forward Jayson Tatum also could be better than Fultz—will make the top of this draft one to be analyzed for years.

Many league executives view Fultz as the best option largely because he has the least bust potential, but that clearly wasn't a strong enough selling point to Celtics general manager Danny Ainge, whose decision to trade down to No. 3 will hand Fultz to the Philadelphia 76ers.

The Lakers got a firsthand look at Fultz in a workout Thursday, so the fact that they are leaning toward Ball (even if Fultz was available) as this week began is telling.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-ball-with-an-eye-on-paul-george-lebron-james

Duxxy3

I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't mind the deal.

I don't think we need a second Jaylen Brown. We already have one. I'd like to have someone that can actually shoot the ball. Drafting Fultz and cleaning out the backlog of guards was fine by me. I would have been OK getting Ball. He's another guard, but I think he's a special player. Would still need to clean out the backlog.

Josh Jackson is basically Jaylen Brown 2.0. I don't see why we need another one. Tatum can shoot, but he's a bit small (for now) to play the 4.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I don't think we need a second Jaylen Brown. We already have one. I'd like to have someone that can actually shoot the ball. Drafting Fultz and cleaning out the backlog of guards was fine by me. I would have been OK getting Ball. He's another guard, but I think he's a special player. Would still need to clean out the backlog.

Josh Jackson is basically Jaylen Brown 2.0. I don't see why we need another one. Tatum can shoot, but he's a bit small (for now) to play the 4.

IDK i think jaylen has a lot more going on for him than Josh. More solid position, better measurables, good shot form that needs some consistency rather than an entire reconstruction.

Top Bottom