• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

Slizeezyc

Cap Number change for next year.

Let's see who this just fucked. I imagine it hurts teams who thought they maybe could fit in one max contract (hey Boston!) with relative ease since now they gotta find another 2 million.

I know it just made situations better for the Nets and Sixers and any other team who won't use all their cap this offseason.

Brinbe

Goddamn it... Phil is a fucking moron. First he gifted the Cavs JR and Shump for nothing (and they arguably don't win a title without them) and now he's gonna give Boston the one piece they were really missing. The fucking idiot.

Cornbread78

Let's see who this just fucked. I imagine it hurts teams who thought they maybe could fit in one max contract (hey Boston!) with relative ease since now they gotta find another 2 million.

I know it just made situations better for the Nets and Sixers and any other team who won't use all their cap this offseason.

Nah, Celts shoukd be fibe with Amir, Jonas and Jones coming off the books. Plus, someone is going to overpay for Oly as well..

Tom Penny

For Philly - would require Fultz and Embiid or Simmons, so no
Lakers - Ball and Ingram
Boston - #3 pick and maybe Jaylen?
Phoenix - #4 and Booker
Sacramento - #5 and WCS?
I'd actually have to think about Jaylen and 3. They'd be the long term future.

Slizeezyc

Nah, Celts shoukd be fibe with Amir, Jonas and Jones coming off the books. Plus, someone is going to overpay for Oly as well..

It was a given they had to renounce all those guys anyway to get there in the first place, even Kelly. I know they're saving 1.4 million moving from 1 to 3, but I imagine they'll still only have rough 24 million in space.

So when they cut Zeller before 7/2 they'll still have enough (assuming he's not in a trade to make it work cap-wise). But it's a tight shave. (max contract for a 7-9 year player on a FA deal should start at roughly 30 million now with this cap tweak)

spyder_ur

It's not quite enough for a full max at this time, actually. The timing is tricky too. As it stands now I believe The Celtics need Kelly's cap space for a max slot unless they move anther contract (Bradley, smart, rozier) before then. The decision is whether or not to extend KO a qualifying offer which ties up his space while other teams make offers. I assume you'd want to do that because Kelly is a valuable player and it allows you to match other offers, unless you knew for sure you were going to use that cap space on another player.

That's my understanding at least.

Slizeezyc

From Bobby Marks, cap expert:

Free spending of 2016 will limit teams this summer. Only 10 (last year 27) teams project to have significant room.

Some point guards about to get fucked over after the Sixers/Nets trades and this little extra cap dip.

Cornbread78

It was a given they had to renounce all those guys anyway to get there in the first place, even Kelly. I know they're saving 1.4 million moving from 1 to 3, but I imagine they'll still only have rough 24 million in space.

So when they cut Zeller before 7/2 they'll still have enough (assuming he's not in a trade to make it work cap-wise). But it's a tight shave. (max contract for a 7-9 year player on a FA deal should start at roughly 30 million now with this cap tweak)

It's not quite enough for a full max at this time, actually. The timing is tricky too. As it stands now I believe The Celtics need Kelly's cap space for a max slot unless they move anther contract (Bradley, smart, rozier) before then. The decision is whether or not to extend KO a qualifying offer which ties up his space while other teams make offers. I assume you'd want to do that because Kelly is a valuable player and it allows you to match other offers, unless you knew for sure you were going to use that cap space on another player.

That's my understanding at least.

A ton of variables in there. I'll leave the number crunching to the capologists, lol. Either way, there should be room if they do it right.

Kickz

@JoelEmbiid

We don't care about Exit meetings in Philly... you're welcome to join
10:45 PM - 21 Jun 2017

Joel puttin salt in the Zenmasters wound
afd995b7648b46e81429bef48fe4872a.png

Bread

Banned
Wait a minute🤔🤔🤔what did your team do last season? Even without any moves Cavs still well positioned for the upcoming season.... it's the after part though 😨😨😱

Honestly the good year sign isn't bad, could be worse for Cavs.
Celts and Cavs the best as always 😊

IKizzLE

Wait a minute🤔🤔🤔what did your team do last season? Even without any moves Cavs still well positioned for the upcoming season.... it's the after part though 😨😨😱

Goodyear and GE fit right in.

Slizeezyc

The Nets one I think is the only one that actually looks bad/out of place.

pislit

i think Phil Jackson is just applying this baby boomer tough love on kristaps that's why we millennials do not understand his actions

Brian Windhorst @WindhorstESPN

Cavs have offered Chauncey Billups president of basketball ops title but after 2 days of meetings he's undecided on accepting, sources say
ChappelleDylan.gif

My friends I'll see you in the early morn

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
These last few pages have been amazing

Please keep Zinger, I don't want Desus and Mero to lose their alabaster Ewing, but looks like Phil trading

Lakers should give Phil pick 26, 27 and Deng + whoever else and grab him
Sign Griffin
Wait for PG13 next year...
CP3 might flip too!

Bread

Banned
These last few pages have been amazing

Please keep Zinger, I don't want Desus and Mero to lose their alabaster Ewing, but looks like Phil trading

Lakers should give Phil pick 26, 27 and Deng + whoever else and grab him
Sign Griffin

Wait for PG13 next year...
CP3 might flip too!

effzee

You don't want a five-year contract? Shit, if he's fired after two years he still gets all five.

Yeah but he is leaving a great gig at ESPN, for which I am sure he is paid well, to work for a shit owner and a franchise which is close to being LeBron less again.

Oh and as a former big time player I doubt he is this desperate for money.

I'm not saying he shouldn't want to be a GM or run a team, but why this team?

Slizeezyc

Yeah but he is leaving a great gig at ESPN, for which I am sure he is paid well, to work for a shit owner and a franchise which is close to being LeBron less again.

Oh and as a former big time player I doubt he is this desperate for money.

I'm not saying he shouldn't want to be a GM or run a team, but why this team?

Call me crazy, but there's only 30 of these things out there, and I don't think many are going to be asking Chauncey to run the team. I say if it's on his bucket list, go for it.

Furyous

If Jordan played now, he would just have forced his way to another team instead of retiring twice.

MJ would be the biggest bandwagon ring chasing player in existence. He'd sign two year deals with contenders and ring chase his way into the history books. He ends his career with six rings from two teams.

Jordan in this era would be the shit and I say this as a hater. Let the 24 hour news cycle get a whiff of gambling accusations.. Sit in awe as Tim Kurkjian breaks Jordan's statistical breakdown of Jordan's WARP.

-----------------

I am feeling uneasy as shit about this offseason over the front office moves. Chauncey Billups does not instill confidence in a veteran win now team. Appeasing Bron never works but we need to give a good effort so he doesn't leave.

We need to resign Derrick Williams, let RJ walk, and get some quality second round picks to decrease our age because we're one of the oldest teams in the league.

Top Bottom