• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Ibaka averaged 15 points and 7 rebounds. Porzingis 18 and 7. They aren't significantly different players right now. Yes, I understand Porzingis is young and could improve, while Ibaka has already peaked, but are we confident the Porzingis we've seen thus far isn't just what you're going to get?

Did you just compare 2 players' points and rebounds and then conclude that they "aren't significantly different"?

Sandfox

Assuming the Lakers don't trade their picks my guys are:
Ball
Jackson
Smith

Hart
White
Ojeleye
Bell
Adebayo
Anunoby

There are even more guys like at 27 and 28 which is a testament to this draft.

JABEE

What I don't understand is why Phil Jackson would be honest with the media?

How does that benefit you in negotiating a trade?

What is the use of publicly burning the bridges? It is a terrible waste of leverage.

Every team in the league now knows they are no longer have to worry about the Knicks keeping Porzingis.

You have to be a complete idiot or actively sabotaging your team to openly reveal this information to the press.

charsace

Ibaka averaged 15 points and 7 rebounds. Porzingis 18 and 7. They aren't significantly different players right now. Yes, I understand Porzingis is young and could improve, while Ibaka has already peaked, but are we confident the Porzingis we've seen thus far isn't just what you're going to get?
Porz is worth more because he's young and can get even better. I don't see what your point is? 18 and 7 from a second year guy is great. He's also shown that he can possibly anchor a defense in the future.

Boogs31

What player has peaked in their 2nd year outside of Brandon Jennings?

Not saying he's not going to improve at all, just that maybe he doesn't make crazy leaps like Kawhi has. Let's say he becomes a 22 points, 9 rebounds a game and good defense type of player, is it worth giving up all of your future assets for that?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Is this a serious post?

Boogs31

Porz is worth more because he's young and can get even better. I don't see what your point is? 18 and 7 from a second year guy is great. He's also shown that he can possibly anchor a defense in the future.

My point is you don't give up multiple top 5 picks and multiple young players on great contacts for a guy who MIGHT become great in a few years. It's not a certainty that he becomes a best player on a championship team type of player. If it's a fair trade, go for it, but the trades that are rumored would be a crazy haul for the player Porzingis currently is.

Doomsayer

You really out here saying that KP and Ibaka are almost the same player?

You are absolutely insane, I hope you understand that.

KP is a cornerstone piece on almost all teams. Ibaka is a 3rd/4th option.

Stop.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You really out here saying that KP and Ibaka are almost the same player?

You are absolutely insane, I hope you understand that.

KP is a cornerstone piece on almost all teams. Ibaka is a 3rd/4th option.

Stop.

buh buh they shoot 3s! and get the ball back when team miss.

an absolutely insane comparison. Ibakas offense was spot shooting from a stand still catch and shoot. KP can bang, is smooth as silk, and is all around far more skilled than shitty serge ibaka, and hell serge was fine in his prime... overrated but fine.

Bread

Banned
First off let me just say that a 7'3" Ibaka is one of the best players in the league. KP can be better than that because he can dribble.

Boogs31

You guys hitta is back. comparing numbers with ibaka and porzingis is absolute madness.

Ibaka has been a decent role player for a long time now. Not saying he's currently as good as Porzingis. But I think it's close. You honestly think 2015-16 Porzingis is that much better than prime Serge Ibaka? I get that KP might get significantly better, but right now he's a good role player at best.

charsace

My point is you don't give up multiple top 5 picks and multiple young players on great contacts for a guy who MIGHT become great in a few years. It's not a certainty that he becomes a best player on a championship team type of player. If it's a fair trade, go for it, but the trades that are rumored would be a crazy haul for the player Porzingis currently is.
Celtics aren't trading just for the player he is (which is good big man) but for what he could become. If they think he can become a superstar then having him for possibly a decade would be great for the franchise. And in the grand scheme of things the stuff Phil wants is nothing.

The Celtics are looking to win now and porzingis could improve their chances now and will probably still get better.

Bread

Banned
Ibaka has been a decent role player for a long time now. Not saying he's currently as good as Porzingis. But I think it's close. You honestly think 2015-16 Porzingis is that much better than prime Serge Ibaka? I get that KP might get significantly better, but right now he's a good role player at best.
The Celtics aren't trying to trade for KP now, they're trying to trade for KP and what he will become over the next decade. You are severely discounting age and progression.

Boogs31

They both shoot 3s and block shots, they are the same person.

That's their main value. KP can also attack off the bounce. Neither have a post game. Guys that can hit threes and protect the rim are extremely rare and valuable. And again I'm comparing the current versions of the two guys. I competently understand that in 2 years it might be a silly comparison. But it isn't right now.

Boogs31

The Celtics aren't trying to trade for KP now, they're trying to trade for KP and what he will become over the next decade. You are severely discounting age and progression.

You don't think Brown will improve as well? Think about what you would be giving up for the hope that KP becomes a superstar. The packages that are rumored should be for a guy who already is a sure thing.

Boogs31

Celtics aren't trading just for the player he is (which is good big man) but for what he could become. If they think he can become a superstar then having him for possibly a decade would be great for the franchise. And in the grand scheme of things the stuff Phil wants is nothing.

The Celtics are looking to win now and porzingis could improve their chances now and will probably still get better.

If you factor in that Brown was the 3rd pick last year, the Knicks want 3 top 5 picks and a solid role player with the best contract in the league. That is far from nothing.

That's their main value. KP can also attack off the bounce. Neither have a post game. Guys that can hit threes and protect the rim are extremely rare and valuable. And again I'm comparing the current versions of the two guys. I competently understand that in 2 years it might be a silly comparison. But it isn't right now.

Man don't die on this hill, KP is the first option (second if you really prefer washed up Melo) in a shit team, Ibaka was always the third at best option on his teams. Unicorn has a much more well rounded offensive game. Their numbers are "similar" with the Porzingod being the main focus of opposing teams defenses while Ibaka is an afterthought.

Boogs31

Ibaka got OKC to the Finals what had Porzingas done?

I know this is a joke but Ibaka was the third best player on some really good basketball teams. I know he's not a star but he's been an excellent role player for the last 7 years. I don't get why everyone here thinks he's shit.

Bread

Banned
While spot up shooting and blocking shots may be all Ibaka is good for, the same is not true for KP. He has the advantage on handles, length, shooting off the dribble, all incredibly valuable things that lift him above role player status.

You don't think Brown will improve as well? Think about what you would be giving up for the hope that KP becomes a superstar. The packages that are rumored should be for a guy who already is a sure thing.
Of course he'll improve, but he will never be as good as KP and I'm sure of that. The NBA is about stars not role players, the latter of which Brown and the picks are likely to become. I'll trade 4 quarters for a dollar and get our star C for the next decade.

Boogs31

Man don't die on this hill, KP is the first option (second if you really prefer washed up Melo) in a shit team, Ibaka was always the third at best option on his teams. Unicorn has a much more well rounded offensive game. Their numbers are "similar" with the Porzingod being the main focus of opposing teams defenses while Ibaka is an afterthought.

I agree Ibaka has always been the third option, but he's been the third option on good to great teams. When he was the number 1 option on Orlando they were bad. I get that. But Porzingis as the first or second option has also been on bad teams. I'm only referring to the current version of Porzingis. I realize that in a few years it might be different.

charsace

If you factor in that Brown was the 3rd pick last year, the Knicks want 3 top 5 picks and a solid role player with the best contract in the league. That is far from nothing.
Brown looks like he can eventually be a solid player. He didn't show anything that makes you think he'll be a star though and the numbers also didn't show it either.

Boogs31

While spot up shooting and blocking shots may be all Ibaka is good for, the same is not true for KP. He has the advantage on handles, length, shooting off the dribble, all incredibly valuable things that lift him above role player status.

I agree with that statement but KP to this point hasn't gotten a ton of extra production out of those extra skills and advantages. He still has made most of his living thus far off of catch and shoots. I definitely see the potential (I watched the game against Detroit in which he caught fire and showed the whole package), but those games were few and far between.

Of course he'll improve, but he will never be as good as KP and I'm sure of that. The NBA is about stars not role players, the latter of which Brown and the picks are likely to become. I'll trade 4 quarters for a dollar and get our star C for the next decade.

If you think three top 5 picks and Crowder is equal value, you aren't valuing the Celtics assets enough.

Top Bottom